Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Xenji wrote: »
    It is a pity most people will just skim through it and see Microsofts name, although it was Microsoft that hired him, so they have to shoulder part of the blame if all this is true. Seems that two stories are coming out of this now, and that both parties are saying stuff differently about how events transpired, people from Neogaf who were there are saying he definitely referred to her on stage as a " dude in a colorful wig " and that he had made sexist comments the previous day about women.

It is a pity that MS are blamed for one individual's personal views. I even hate the whole "views are my own and not my employer's" tagline you see on so many profiles these days because the gen pop seem unwilling or unable to know when it's one asshat being an asshat, and when a company's policies are offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For anyone who has been lucky enough to get a hands on with Titanfall, how did you go about playing it, it looks like although it has similar controls to CoD, you should not be playing it like you would with CoD and play it more vertical otherwise you will have a tough time with it.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/30/titanfall-people-need-to-be-broken-in-to-its-verticality-respawn-suggests/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For anyone who has been lucky enough to get a hands on with Titanfall, how did you go about playing it, it looks like although it has similar controls to CoD, you should not be playing it like you would with CoD and play it more vertical otherwise you will have a tough time with it.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/30/titanfall-people-need-to-be-broken-in-to-its-verticality-respawn-suggests/

Titanfall was the game of the show IMO. The speed of traversal actually ruined BF4, COD and KZ for me as they felt far too slow afterwards.

In all I played it three times over the three days, once with some of the devs. It is ridiculously good fun. I chose the Titan with the machine gun and the bullet-catching forcefield and the CQD class soldier as it has the shotgun. Personally, I preferred combat outside of the Titan so whenever I got it, I set it to follow me instead. Most people concentrated on the mech so I was able to pick them off more easily.

The mall running and double-jumping are intuitive. By the end of my first game, I was already able to go a huge distance without touching the ground.

Unfortunately, I have now heard from a reliable source that Microsoft have lifetime exclusivity on it (at least on this first one) but I need it in my life! As I am not currently planning on getting an XBO, I will most definitely be picking this up on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Another PR disaster in the making " Xbox One Presenter Humiliated Me On Stage, Says Transgender Journalist " been picked up by a lot of press and gay rights groups.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/xbox-one-presenter-humiliated-me-on-stage-says-transgender-journalist/
    That article basically called down an orbital strike on the poor girls twitter account, they shouldn't have linked her twitter directly, even if they did remove it since.

Meesared wrote: »
    That article basically called down an orbital strike on the poor girls twitter account, they shouldn't have linked her twitter directly, even if they did remove it since.

She is saying now that she never gave them permission to run the article, but the abuse she has gotten from fanboys has just been hideous and highly disturbing on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Otacon wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have now heard from a reliable source that Microsoft have lifetime exclusivity on it (at least on this first one) but I need it in my life!

Wow, that must have cost a pretty penny. Even if it is only exclusive for the first one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

She is saying now that she never gave them permission to run the article, but the abuse she has gotten from fanboys has just been hideous and highly disturbing on twitter.

The dark side of the internet. I'm not sure if I'm different or not, but I always try to imagine that anything I say on the internet, I'm also saying to a person in real life.

Reminds me of this XKCD comic. Wish it applied to all comments on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Microsoft to unlock more GPU power for Xbox One developers
    Xbox One reserves 10 per cent of graphics resources for Kinect and apps functionality, Digital Foundry can confirm, with Microsoft planning to open up this additional GPU power for game development in the future. This, and further graphics and performance-based information was revealed during our lengthy discussions with two of the architects behind the Xbox One silicon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-to-unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

While I applaud the sentiment of giving developers more power, every time I read these stories, I just think how desperate Microsoft are to close the power gap that seems to exist between the two main consoles.

It is strange then that Turn 10 Studios have said they are using the full power of console for Forza 5 and did not feel that the power could be improved on, just that they would have to learn how to use it more efficiency. It sounds like more PR spin, that or this is the same 10 percent they have been harping on about for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Well if there is latent capacity to do so in the console why not get the extra grunt from the hardware ? A positive for the user so how is it a bad thing ?

It is strange then that Turn 10 Studios have said they are using the full power of console for Forza 5 and did not feel that the power could be improved on, just that they would have to learn how to use it more efficiency. It sounds like more PR spin, that or this is the same 10 percent they have been harping on about for months.

I would guess that Turn 10 were referring to using all of the power they were given access to. Obviously, the resources within these consoles are being divvied up in different ways to run background systems and services. Microsoft are just continuing to tweak their usage.
    Well if there is latent capacity to do so in the console why not get the extra grunt from the hardware ? A positive for the user so how is it a bad thing ?

It isn't a bad thing on the face of it - it just seems reactionary to me. For instance, I highly doubt that we would be seeing these late changes if the systems were closer spec-wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

All the talk about using x% of the power of the console is really just meaningless bull*hit. Every game by every developer uses 100% of the power available. As time goes on they will learn techniques and tricks to get more from the available power. That's all Turn 10 are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

At our peak fill-rate of 13.65GPixels/s that adds up to 164GB/s of real bandwidth that is needed which pretty much saturates our ESRAM bandwidth. In this case, even if we had doubled the number of ROPs, the effective fill-rate would not have changed because we would be bottlenecked on bandwidth. In other words, we balanced our ROPs to our bandwidth for our target scenarios
    I love the way they try to explain away the GPU shortcomings by saying its because their memory is crap :rolleyes:

Also I'm pretty disappointed that native 1080P isn't the base standard for next gen consoles, talking about 720P is BS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I love the way they try to explain away the GPU shortcomings by saying its because their memory is crap :rolleyes:

Also I'm pretty disappointed that native 1080P isn't the base standard for next gen consoles, talking about 720P is BS :(

i agree
    next gen doesnt seem to be a major boost in graphics either, which is disapointed
    fair enough some games look good
    but it seems as if any games that were shown at e3 or before it have gotten worse, specially watch dogs, that game doesnt look anywere near as good as the demo at last years e3

might just stick with my xbox360 for media and dark souls and gaming pc for everything else

Very interesting article on the Xbox and Japan, goes into detail with two developers as to way it has been a failure so far and how it will remain a failure as long as it keeps being treated like a tier 2 country, it also does not look like that many indie games from japan will be coming to the Xbox One either.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/04/what-does-japan-really-think-of-xbox-one/

Very interesting article on the Xbox and Japan, goes into detail with two developers as to way it has been a failure so far and how it will remain a failure as long as it keeps being treated like a tier 2 country, it also does not look like that many indie games from japan will be coming to the Xbox One either.

It's a market MS know they are at a disadvantage in. Lack of JRPGs, focus on WRPGs, the presence of two Japanese competitors etc.

Makes Sony releasing the PS4 last in Japan a very strange decision.

It's a market MS know they are at a disadvantage in. Lack of JRPGs, focus on WRPGs, the presence of two Japanese competitors etc.

Makes Sony releasing the PS4 last in Japan a very strange decision.

Sony are probably know they are assured of their market position and will not see any adverse effect in sales due to the delay, it is not like the consumers have any other options as no other new releases are upcoming.

Sony are probably know they are assured of their market position and will not see any adverse effect in sales due to the delay, it is not like the consumers have any other options as no other new releases are upcoming.

I know, but it still seems like quite the middle finger to what is traditionally their most loyal market.

I know, but it still seems like quite the middle finger to what is traditionally their most loyal market.

The Japanese PS3 launch titles were awful, Sony stated at Gamescom that they wanted more time for western games to be translated for launch and that they would be getting Knack for free, they are also getting the PS Vita TV. So it is not that much of a middle finger, plus with how loyal and nationalistic as a nation they are, they will be understanding of the wait if it means the PS4 can be more profitable and successful in other regions.

• Advertisement

Japanese are gadget freaks like the rest of us. When some see their western counterparts enjoying the PS4 a full 3 months before they can get their hands on one it could upset a fair batch of customers.

It's bad business practice to presume customer loyalty in any industry.

Either way though I don't think MS are that worried about the Japanese market. They are continuing to focus on their strongest customer base - the US and the west in general. Doing well in Japan is a bonus for MS - nothing more, nothing less.

On a personal level, as a western Xbox fan who's not into JRPGs it suits me just fine.

Japanese are gadget freaks like the rest of us. When some see their western counterparts enjoying the PS4 a full 3 months before they can get their hands on one it could upset a fair batch of customers.

It's bad business practice to presume customer loyalty in any industry.

Either way though I don't think MS are that worried about the Japanese market. They are continuing to focus on their strongest customer base - the US and the west in general. Doing well in Japan is a bonus for MS - nothing more, nothing less.

On a personal level, as a western Xbox fan who's not into JRPGs it suits me just fine.

I lived in Osaka for nearly 2 years, it was very strange over there when it came to gadgets, they were actually more excited about the wait and learning every bit of information about what they were buying, than when they actually got it in their hands, they would even read through the whole instruction manual before using it.

I would be the opposite, I love my RPGS and JRPGS, that is why I am getting the PS4 and have the 3DS as well.

I would be the opposite, I love my RPGS and JRPGS, that is why I am getting the PS4 and have the 3DS as well.

And this point is the perfect example of why all these articles floating around praising or sniping either console are targetting increasingly specific sets of fans and therefore don't carry an awful lot of weight.

People will buy whatever console suits their personal tastes and won't easily be otherwise swayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

And this point is the perfect example of why all these articles floating around praising or sniping either console are targetting increasingly specific sets of fans and therefore don't carry an awful lot of weight.

People will buy whatever console suits their personal tastes and won't easily be otherwise swayed.

Agreed, I personally will be purchasing the Xbox One because I am looking for more than just a games console. I want to ability to watch tv shows and films etc on demand as well as play some of the blockbuster games released each year. I like the release titles of the Xbox One also.

I currently play the Xbox 360 so don't see a need to change with the next Gen. The only reason I would have ever purchased the PS3 this Gen would be to avail of the BluRay player. The fact that the new Xbox One comes with one is a bonus.

Then there is also the fact I have just purchased a new 13 months Gold membership which will carry across to the new Gen.

Most of the articles making their way around the web can be taken with a pinch of salt until the consoles are actually released, but I am not bothered if the PS4 gets 5 FPS more is games than the Xbox One, most gamers out there won't even notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

its quite simple, Sony is a Japanise company and Microsoft is a U.S company. The Playstation was a hit in Japan long before miscrosoft had a gaming console.

logik wrote: »
    Agreed, I personally will be purchasing the Xbox One because I am looking for more than just a games console. I want to ability to watch tv shows and films etc on demand as well as play some of the blockbuster games released each year. I like the release titles of the Xbox One also.

I currently play the Xbox 360 so don't see a need to change with the next Gen. The only reason I would have ever purchased the PS3 this Gen would be to avail of the BluRay player. The fact that the new Xbox One comes with one is a bonus.

Then there is also the fact I have just purchased a new 13 months Gold membership which will carry across to the new Gen.

Most of the articles making their way around the web can be taken with a pinch of salt until the consoles are actually released, but I am not bothered if the PS4 gets 5 FPS more is games than the Xbox One, most gamers out there won't even notice the difference.

Be wary about services like Netflix and Sky Go if it is a deal breaker, they have not been announced yet and with Microsoft pushing Xbox One TV, it is possible these services may not be available as they would be just competing against themselves, also there is no date for when Xbox One TV will be available for Europe. It was also confirmed that a lot of apps on the 360 would not be available for the One at launch and may never appear on the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Netflix of course will be available on both next gen consoles. Their goal is to be on every Internet enabled device and Sky Go has already partnered with MS so its highly likely that this will continue on the XB1, maybe not at launch but soon after.

Netflix of course will be available on both next gen consoles. Their goal is to be on every Internet enabled device and Sky Go has already partnered with MS so its highly likely that this will continue on the XB1, maybe not at launch but soon after.

Even if they end up be available, it is a bit ****ty being stuck behind a pay wall, as it stands with the US version, you have 81 apps that will not work unless you have a gold membership, not to mention if Live goes down, you cannot use any of those apps either.

These are the 81 apps so far that require Gold, you can tell a lot will be US only and some have not been confirmed yet to be actually available on the One http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669313

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Even if they end up be available, it is a bit ****ty being stuck behind a pay wall, as it stands with the US version, you have 81 apps that will not work unless you have a gold membership, not to mention if Live goes down, you cannot use any of those apps either.

These are the 81 apps so far that require Gold, you can tell a lot will be US only and some have not been confirmed yet to be actually available on the One http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669313

Its only ****ty for people who dont have gold membership,
    considering next gen is all about online gaming for the most part, for example watch dogs and their weird multiplayer cross over, seeing as people will be paying to play games online, no harm adding apps only been allowed used by gold members

people already no that you need gold to watch these, its been done this gen on the xbox360, for anybody to think that would change on the xbox one would need to think again, it works, microsoft know themselfs that adding these apps in with gold, will make people buy gold, why would they change their entire system around when its making them profits, they would only stand to lose money if they made sky go netflix etc available for non gold members

theirs a reason micrsoft are billionaires :pac: their greedy *****!!!! but their greedy ***** who know how to handle their market

their pr on the xbox one team on other hand are awfull:pac:

but like i said this paywall as you put it, would only affect the small minority, the majority of people who own an xbox360 have gold, theirs no point looking at statistics either as many people including myself have more then one account which is not gold, but if i wanted to watch an app id go to my gold account
    so at the end of the day microsoft will get the majority and their lovely money, my friend who who uses the ps3 for gaming, but use his xbox 360 for media, that their is 50 quid off him a year, for just watching sky and netflix in his room, and he happily pays that, so microsoft are basicly charging him 50 quid to watch sky and netflix for the year, even though he already pays them bills to sky and netflix anyway

so why would MS make it free for non gold members when it clearly is working out in their best interests

edit : im not saying im disagreeing with you, i dont play online gaming much anymore myself, and id prefer if it did go free for non members, saving me a few quid. but you cant be looking at these things in the consumer frame of mind, you have think of it in MS mind, after all they are a company who wants profits just like any other company

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    edit : im not saying im disagreeing with you, i dont play online gaming much anymore myself, and id prefer if it did go free for non members, saving me a few quid. but you cant be looking at these things in the consumer frame of mind, you have think of it in MS mind, after all they are a company who wants profits just like any other company

Of course we can. We're the consumer!

I don't think anyone is confused as to why MS are keeping these apps behind a paywall, that doesn't mean they can't call them out on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement