Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Otacon wrote: »
    Of course we can. We're the consumer!

I don't think anyone is confused as to why MS are keeping these apps behind a paywall, that doesn't mean they can't call them out on it.

we are the customer, but their the company, and they want profits. trust me Id want to stop paying for gold to use to apps as well, but that means they wont get 50 quid of me a year
    multiply my 50 quid by the thousands and thousands of other people who only use it for the media, thats them losing far too much money

so again why would they change something that will make them lose money

its like this kinect 2.0 (even though i want it so i dont mind) they wont get rid of that , maybe in the future they will but theyve spent millions, probably billions just to create the thing, they aint going to back down on something that would cost them loads

thats the reason i said you have to look at from their perspective, we are the customers but MS have far to many loyal customers and a big consumer base they know they dont have to do 180 on these things because they will sell

everything they have 180'd on so far wouldnt be a loss compared to , getting rid of this paywall for apps and the kinect.

like i said i dont agree with it but sure i can understand a company wanting to make money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xenji wrote: »
    Even if they end up be available, it is a bit ****ty being stuck behind a pay wall, as it stands with the US version, you have 81 apps that will not work unless you have a gold membership, not to mention if Live goes down, you cannot use any of those apps either.

These are the 81 apps so far that require Gold, you can tell a lot will be US only and some have not been confirmed yet to be actually available on the One http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669313
    I have never considered apps like Netflix to be behind a pay wall because I was paying my Xbox Live sub for many years before there was Netflix and Sky Go so in my eyes MS added these perks to my yearly subscription at no additional charge.

I wouldn't spend €500 on a Xbox One to only game offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MS could offer these services outside of Gold if they wanted but they don't as they feel it adds to the value proposition of it. I can understand why they are charging for it too but that doesn't mean they should not be criticised for it. Other consoles and systems offer the same apps outside of paywalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't play my 360 online anymore, use my PC, but it would have been handy to have been able to use it as a Netflix device - load of crap that you have to have Gold to use Netflix, an already paid for app. We use the PS3 instead now, leaving the 360 coated in a fine sheet of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I wouldn't spend €500 on a Xbox One to only game offline.

I was planning to remain offline, but with games like Titanfall and Destiny (having these drop in public type events). I will renew gold for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Pushtrak wrote: »

Was just about to post that up. Its some read alright, so much to take in, its great to get sure a good insight into the building blocks of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If anyone is interested in seeing what the Xbox One Dev kit looks like, would look at these quick as they will probably be taken down, some random kid put them up on Youtube.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/07/xbox-one-dev-kit-footage-leaked-online/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If anyone is interested in seeing what the Xbox One Dev kit looks like, would look at these quick as they will probably be taken down, some random kid put them up on Youtube.

While further info about the two consoles is much appreciated, that child is a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

He sounds Irish, like N.Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Dead Rising 3 is a co-op paradise packed with Kinect-enabled taunts, anatomically correct gore
    The world of Dead Rising 3 is not partitioned into loading zones, it is a fully open-world taking advantage of the Xbox One's next-generation hardware filled with physics objects, player locations, hundreds of combinable weapons and vehicles. Along with thousands of region-specific procedurally generated zombies, there are different enemy archetypes and zombie behaviors.

"We can sort of control the state of the zombie horde at large, and then on top of that we have these marquee zombies that get peppered in there and change up the monotony as well," the game's producer Mike Jones told Polygon. "And then on top of that we have mutation zombies that come out for story reasons and we also have human enemies — we have military, bikers, psychos, bosses — we have a whole lot of enemy variations, more so than just the generic zombie horde."

"We procedurally generate all of our zombies — their hairstyles their clothing, the patterns on their clothes — and their goring; missing jaws, missing eyes things like that," he said. "So you'll see like business men in around down town;
    you'll see like patients and nurses around the hospital; you'll see bikini zombies around the beach; you'll see Paris Hilton looking zombies in Sunset Hills doing shopping. You'l see a lot of visual distinction as you go through the world, it is not going to be a bunch of generic zombies just repeated over and over and over again, you'll probably never see the same zombie twice."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/7/4808480/dead-rising-3-is-a-co-op-paradise-chocked-with-kinect-enabled-taunts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That kid:

Ehhh... eeeehhhhh...... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

No Christmas for that kid once Microsoft are finished with his Parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

Does anybody know what kinda bundles retailers are doing for xbone and when it not long now to release MS aren't bother doing them so what kinda value are gona get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

rob808 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what kinda bundles retailers are doing for xbone and when it not long now to release MS aren't bother doing them so what kinda value are gona get.

Aren't MS doing the Fifa and Forza bundles for day 1 editions?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Aren't MS doing the Fifa and Forza bundles for day 1 editions?
    Yea only day one I'm getting standard which comes with Notting doh not interested in does games either way.

Yea only day one I'm getting standard which comes with Notting doh not interested in does games either way.

probably hear something by the end of the month i'd say
    if your getting a standerd edition? when did you pre order
    because if it was before a certain date you'd be getting a day one edition whether you like it or not :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    probably hear something by the end of the month i'd say
    if your getting a standerd edition? when did you pre order
    because if it was before a certain date you'd be getting a day one edition whether you like it or not :pac:
    24 August in xtravision nice if they gave me a day one on launch instead of the standard:D

24 August in xtravision nice if they gave me a day one on launch instead of the standard:D

you might get one
    ask xtravision what their cut of point was for day one editions, i know were i orderd from online the cut of point was 7th september, so you might be in with a chance of getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Extremely likely you're getting a Forza edition at the least

• Advertisement

The amount of preorders for the Xbox One made available to retailers was quite a bit smaller than the PS4 and quite a few people cancelled their orders after all the trouble Microsoft were having before they backtracked. According to a few sites yesterday you will more than likely be able to walk into most stores on launch day and get a console without a preorder.

NBC news have picked up on the Xbox One privacy concerns, I am quite surprised that they have and it will cost Microsoft some sales as people will not fully read or listen to the news story and will just think they are being spied on, I am more surprised though that Neogaf got a mention as well :pac:
    In a piece on Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's corporate vice president for marketing and strategy, AdAge suggested that the Xbox One could give advertisers access to "a huge new trove of data about what's going on in living rooms," bringing back longstanding concerns about the next-gen console's privacy settings.

"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline," Medhi said of the Microsoft's future advertising plans in an Oct. 5 speech at the Association of National Advertisers Masters of Marketing Conference in Phoenix. "That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life."

Microsoft added in a statement to AllThingsD that AdAge's report of Mehdi's talk was "based on misinterpretation."

“Yusuf Mehdi spoke about how consumers are investing their time across multiple devices in the 360 degrees of their life and how there is an opportunity for advertising experiences to evolve and become more unified across those devices," the company told NBC News in an emailed statement. "For example, just as Xbox SmartGlass allows companion mobile experiences that are synchronous to what is being watched on TV, advertisers could create new experiences unifying their content across devices. The quote from Yusuf in Ad Age is not in relation to Kinect.”

What bothered gamers about the original news was the fear that Microsoft was using its new advertising technology known as "natural user interface ads" (NUads, for short) to turn the Xbox Live dashboard into a freemium service like Gmail or Facebook: one that would essentially monetize gamers by tracking their habits and reactions to advertisements.

"You guys want to make advertising money with the Kinect but you also want to make console/game selling money [from] us," Pete Dodd, the man who started a social media campaign against digital rights management (DRM) on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this summer, wrote on the popular gaming forum NeoGAF Monday. "I don't know how you can do both."

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/xbox-one-kerfuffle-kicks-more-concerns-over-ads-privacy-8C11358946

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

NBC news have picked up on the Xbox One privacy concerns, I am quite surprised that they have and it will cost Microsoft some sales as people will not fully read or listen to the news story and will just think they are being spied on, I am more surprised though that Neogaf got a mention as well :pac:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/xbox-one-kerfuffle-kicks-more-concerns-over-ads-privacy-8C11358946

Neogaf has driven an awful lot of the undeserved* negativity around the xbox one, so it was only a matter of time before it got into the mainstream news.

*Also drove a lot of the deserved negativity around it too, just some of the things that they complained about never came to pass, and was never likely to come to pass either.

In other Xbox one news, there's a possibility of both Mouse and Keyboard support, and cross platform play with PC.

Here and here.

The amount of preorders for the Xbox One made available to retailers was quite a bit smaller than the PS4 and quite a few people cancelled their orders after all the trouble Microsoft were having before they backtracked. According to a few sites yesterday you will more than likely be able to walk into most stores on launch day and get a console without a preorder.
    i seriously doubt people will be able to walk in on launch day and get one. This could just be MS allocating more units to GameStop. Both consoles are selling in amazing volume. I think both consoles will be unattainable in the weeks up to Christmas.

i seriously doubt people will be able to walk in on launch day and get one. This could just be MS allocating more units to GameStop. Both consoles are selling in amazing volume. I think both consoles will be unattainable in the weeks up to Christmas.

The Xbox One is not selling in a amazing volume unless they have made a big bump in preorders since the end of August. VG Chartz do not have last months numbers up yet, but for the end of August the PS4 had over 600000 pre-orders in the US, this is compared to just over 300000 for the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The Xbox One is not selling in a amazing volume unless they have made a big bump in preorders since the end of August. VG Chartz do not have last months numbers up yet, but for the end of August the PS4 had over 600000 pre-orders in the US, this is compared to just over 300000 for the Xbox One.

Apparently massive amounts of ps4 preorders have been switched to Xbox one

Must be some demand then for the PS4 if they still have 1.5 million preorders as of the the start of October :pac:

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/10/06/1-5-million-ps4-preorders-worldwide-michael-pachter-confirms/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Apparently? I'm just curious if you have any source at all for this as the last few things said by Sony was that they had over a million pre orders and only 2 weeks they said that number had increased significantly.

tok9 wrote: »
    Apparently? I'm just curious if you have any source at all for this as the last few things said by Sony was that they had over a million pre orders and only 2 weeks they said that number had increased significantly.

You just got in before me, they have 1.5 million preorders as of the start of October.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/10/06/1-5-million-ps4-preorders-worldwide-michael-pachter-confirms/

• Advertisement

Has there been any reputable providers of sales stats? It seems that many figures are being plucked out from the sky. The ratios are probably right but the exact figures is another thing. Pre orders are only small cash so I'd expect people to be changing in both camps at the last minute. Also in March I am going to bet that Xbox one will have huge sales due to Titianfall's release were Playstation will level out.

I wouldn't trust Sony or Miscroft in saying this is how many orders we have...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement