Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Has there been a start to any advertising yet? Id id imagine in the next few weeks we will see some sort of campaign and people begin to scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tok9 wrote: »
    Apparently? I'm just curious if you have any source at all for this as the last few things said by Sony was that they had over a million pre orders and only 2 weeks they said that number had increased significantly.
    Its called marketing. You say how amazing something is and then say we have 10 zillion orders and gamers go 'this must be amazingggg' and go out and preorder it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Xenji wrote: »
    The Xbox One is not selling in a amazing volume unless they have made a big bump in preorders since the end of August. VG Chartz do not have last months numbers up yet, but for the end of August the PS4 had over 600000 pre-orders in the US, this is compared to just over 300000 for the Xbox One.

It seems to be selling up to capacity anyway. The initial batch sold out. Then when launch was delayed for some countries and their allocations became available, that sold out too. I suspect this batch will sell out too.

It looks very much like sales of both consoles are limited by availability at the moment. There's probably not much point comparing numbers until both have been out for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has there been any reputable providers of sales stats? It seems that many figures are being plucked out from the sky. The ratios are probably right but the exact figures is another thing. Pre orders are only small cash so I'd expect people to changing both camps at the last minute. Also in March I am going to bet that Xbox one will have huge sales due to Titianfall's release were Playstation will level out.

I wouldn't trust Sony or Miscroft in saying this is how many orders they have...

They will not have huge sales, most people will get it for the PC, if it was a exclusive maybe. The figures were taken from VgChartz which is a well regarded industry site and the 1.5 million figure is from Michael Pachter who is a well respected industry analyst. They also cannot be lying about such figures as they are both publicly traded companies and you would be breaking trading laws by claiming more sales then you actually had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Its called marketing. You say how amazing something is and then say we have 10 zillion orders and gamers go 'this must be amazingggg' and go out and preorder it.

I'm not entirely sure why you have quoted me or the point you are making to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

They will not have huge sales, most people will get it for the PC, if it was a exclusive maybe.
    Seriously? You think it will sell more on the PC than it will on the One? Really don't think that is in the cards.

stevenmu wrote: »
    It seems to be selling up to capacity anyway. The initial batch sold out. Then when launch was delayed for some countries and their allocations became available, that sold out too. I suspect this batch will sell out too.

It looks very much like sales of both consoles are limited by availability at the moment. There's probably not much point comparing numbers until both have been out for a year.

It is also interesting to look at it from a consumers level, I think it is easy to say the ps4 won over the hardcore gamer if you want to call them that.

Will be interesting to see what the average Joe gets(will they get a xbox one because they had a 360 and V.V). And then there are the Kids at xmas will parents buy the cheapest console? This is just the tip of the ice berg and will prob be at least 2 years before we know who is winning and even then it will no doubt switch around over the life cycle.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Seriously? You think it will sell more on the PC than it will on the One? Really don't think that is in the cards.

I think that due to the fact that it has no offline mode or single player campaign that more people will go the PC route especially if they have both systems as it will look better on the PC also, not everybody is gonna have a Gold subscription to play it either, plus if live goes down, which it does a lot, you will not be able to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think that due to the fact that it has no offline mode or single player campaign that more people will go the PC route especially if they have both systems, not everybody is gonna have a Gold subscription to play it either, plus if live goes down, which it does a lot you will not be able to play it.
    PC games don't outsell console games. Your thinking is skewed. People who have an Xbox One are largely going to have Gold and be happy with the service and know that it isn't down often. If people had any issue with Live then you wouldn't see the retention of Live that we do. You are pretty much skewing your analysis with an anti-live stance which isn't going to hold true for people who will get the One.

I think that due to the fact that it has no offline mode or single player campaign that more people will go the PC route especially if they have both systems as it will look better on the PC also, not everybody is gonna have a Gold subscription to play it either, plus if live goes down, which it does a lot, you will not be able to play it.

Pure numbers of console users will always win over PC unfortunately. And live doesn't go down a lot.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected then about Live :o, the other half who is a hardcore gamer and will be getting the One also is always giving out about it, but she does still renew it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That is one thing you can say about Live alright. It's relatively bullet-proof in terms of availability.

I'm not entirely sure why you have quoted me or the point you are making to be honest.
    I have quoted you because its a response to your post and the point I am making is that the word of Microsoft and Sony in relation to how many preorders they have shouldn't be taken has fact. These are marketed messages designed to influence and entice more people to buy their product.

I have quoted you because its a response to your post and the point I am making is that the word of Microsoft and Sony in relation to how many preorders they have shouldn't be taken has fact. These are marketed messages designed to influence and entice more people to buy their product.

Like I said they cannot lie about the figures as the are both on the stock exchange, you have to be truthful when it comes to sales otherwise it is a form of securities fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

His post was asking for a source for "Apparently massive amounts of ps4 preorders have been switched to Xbox one " - not any numbers that Sony or Microsoft are giving

I'd like to see that source too, if it exists.

maximoose wrote: »
    His post was asking for a source for "Apparently massive amounts of ps4 preorders have been switched to Xbox one " - not any numbers that Sony or Microsoft are giving

I'd like to see that source too, if it exists.
    I didn't post anything about people changing preorders. You have the wrong poster pal :D I'd say that's a very difficult thing to measure. I think at this stage the launch sales are the only figures to watch followed by spring/summer figures.
    The numbers are below.
    Apparently? I'm just curious if you have any source at all for this as the last few things said by Sony was that they had over a million pre orders and only 2 weeks they said that number had increased significantly.

Like I said they cannot lie about the figures as the are both on the stock exchange, you have to be truthful when it comes to sales otherwise it is a form of securities fraud.
    Sales and preorders are two very different things. While Sony & Microsoft cannot lie about sales, they can however make sweeping statements about preorders in order to drive further demand. I am not saying that either camp have, only I wouldn't trust figures for preorders that either side produce. I go by sales figures when they launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Are you seriously saying Sony or Microsoft would lie regarding the number of pre orders they have?

Sony said they had over a million because they are delighted to have that number of pre orders. If it's to entice people fair enough but that doesn't make the statement false.

I just found Dark-Knights post to be very vague and I've seen absolutely no article regarding a massive number of pre orders being switched from one console to the other so I am curious where he saw this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nolars wrote: »
    It is also interesting to look at it from a consumers level, I think it is easy to say the ps4 won over the hardcore gamer if you want to call them that.

Will be interesting to see what the average Joe gets(will they get a xbox one because they had a 360 and V.V). And then there are the Kids at xmas will parents buy the cheapest console? This is just the tip of the ice berg and will prob be at least 2 years before we know who is winning and even then it will no doubt switch around over the life cycle.

Yes, the most interesting thing about this launch is that Microsoft is going straight for the mass market sector this time. Certainly not in terms of price anyway, but in terms of the features that they have added to the console, all of it seems to be targeted directly at the mass market segment. This can be plainly seen in the US, where the TV functionality is being pushed massively, where the NFL integration is already being advertised, and the fitness subscription being free for a year are all indicative of this.

It's interesting that one of the two main companies in this generation thinks that the core gamer is no longer the most important segment. We'll see how this all plays out over the course of the next two years, not in the next six months.

As to the preorder numbers, there's currently no way of knowing how either side are measuring them, or how they can even be accurate. If every shop wants a few more consoles on day one, would they not just say they've got more preorders than they have actually booked?

There's also the criticism that both companies have previously boasted of shipments to retailers rather than consumers, so again, the numbers game is pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are you seriously saying Sony or Microsoft would lie regarding the number of pre orders they have?

Sony said they had over a million because they are delighted to have that number of pre orders. If it's to entice people fair enough but that doesn't make the statement false.

I just found Dark-Knights post to be very vague and I've seen absolutely no article regarding a massive number of pre orders being switched from one console to the other so I am curious where he saw this.

I know a few GameStop managers in the midlands and Dublin and all they are saying is that when consoles were announced ps4 shot miles ahead and since Xbox changed policies the numbers that had ps4 preordereds rapidly starting to to return to Xbox

That was a given that that would happen

I'm straight talking tok not looking for any reason to cause ruckus like some here

• Advertisement

I am saying I wouldn't trust their preorder statements, there is a difference. I never said any statement was false. I stated that it shouldn't be taken as gospel. Sony have said in the last 2 weeks their preorder numbers have grown significantly. This is open to interpretation, what does significantly mean in terms of preorders. Microsoft and Sony can use statements like these to entice more preorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I know a few GameStop managers in the midlands and Dublin and all they are saying is that when consoles were announced ps4 shot miles ahead and since Xbox changed policies the numbers that had ps4 preordereds rapidly starting to to return to Xbox

That was a given that that would happen

I'm straight talking tok not looking for any reason to cause ruckus like some here

I would agree with most of that but in essence, the PS4 still has the majority of pre orders in the market. I think it is something like 60/40 in favour of the PS4.

Yes, the Xbox is getting more and more pre orders now, I cant wait to get mine at least I know what I am buying after all of the Xbox articles floating around recently.

I still dont know much about the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

logik wrote: »
    I would agree with most of that but in essence, the PS4 still has the majority of pre orders in the market. I think it is something like 60/40 in favour of the PS4.

Yes, the Xbox is getting more and more pre orders now, I cant wait to get mine at least I know what I am buying after all of the Xbox articles floating around recently.

That's what I was pointing out some ps fans eh ;)

Sales and preorders are two very different things. While Sony & Microsoft cannot lie about sales, they can however make sweeping statements about preorders in order to drive further demand. I am not saying that either camp have, only I wouldn't trust figures for preorders that either side produce. I go by sales figures when they launch.

Preorders are a intention to purchase the console, they cannot lie about them either, if they said they had 5 million preorders it would shoot the share price straight up, but if it was not true they would lower significantly and crash when found out. We will see how everything pans out come November, but Sony will be on top regardless due to making more launch consoles available than Microsoft has, we will not know the real winner for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

well ps4 has a better GUP and cheaper than Xbox one that only real difference and exclusive I'm getting both so I'm good.

That's what I was pointing out some ps fans eh ;)

Yeah its odd, its like sheep to the slaughter. With the Xbox, I know everything about the hardware, from the detailed tech analysis released recently. We even know what the Xbox looks like inside the case and where all of the memory modules are and where the CPU/GPU is situated for heat distribution etc. I can see what I am going to buy and make an informed decision.

Sony refused to release a console so it could be opened and examined inside to see how is works. All we know is that is has 8GB GDDR5 shared memory of which only 4.5GB is usable with the rest being reserved for the OS to run on. We dont know how it will work, Sony's tech guys wont go into detail on anything. That is not in the best interest of the buyer in my eyes, would you buy a new car without a test drive and a spec sheet? I think not.

Yeah its odd, its like sheep to the slaughter. With the Xbox, I know everything about the hardware, from the detailed tech analysis released recently. We even know what the Xbox looks like inside the case and where all of the memory modules are and where the CPU/GPU is situated for heat distribution etc. I can see what I am going to buy and make an informed decision.

Sony refused to release a console so it could be opened and examined inside to see how is works. All we know is that is has 8GB GDDR5 shared memory of which only 4.5GB is usable with the rest being reserved for the OS to run on. We dont know how it will work, Sony's tech guys wont go into detail on anything. That is not in the best interest of the buyer in my eyes, would you buy a new car without a test drive and a spec sheet? I think not.

It is nothing new, Sony have never done it with any of their consoles, Nintendo also rarely do it, so its not really a big deal, if there was a issue with the PS4 a developer would have said something, they have been happy to say stuff about the One

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it is interesting the amount of stick that Microsoft has gotten over the previous few months, while Sony have been exceptionally quiet and haven't gotten much grief at all over it.

I suppose it all comes down to the old Ronald Reagan quote, "If you're explaining, you're losing."

It is nothing new, Sony have never done it with any of their consoles, Nintendo also rarely do it, so its not really a big deal, if there was a issue with the PS4 a developer would have said something, they have been happy to say stuff about the One

We just need to let the games do the talking, there are ups and downs to both systems. On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 but the 360 outperformed on many multi platform games. Spec is not everything. I feel that Microsoft customised CPU will have a big part to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sony have never done it with any of their consoles

Sony's reputation of great hardware trumped by Microsoft's newfound honest approach, I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement