Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I know a few GameStop managers in the midlands and Dublin and all they are saying is that when consoles were announced ps4 shot miles ahead and since Xbox changed policies the numbers that had ps4 preordereds rapidly starting to to return to Xbox

That was a given that that would happen

I'm straight talking tok not looking for any reason to cause ruckus like some here
    That's what I was pointing out some ps fans eh ;)

Not sure if either comment is directed at me but I'm not trying to cause any trouble or distractions here. I was just curious where you heard that.

Also that doesn't surprise me regarding people changing their pre order after MS changed policies, I assumed you were talking a bit more recently.
    I am saying I wouldn't trust their preorder statements, there is a difference. I never said any statement was false. I stated that it shouldn't be taken as gospel. Sony have said in the last 2 weeks their preorder numbers have grown significantly. This is open to interpretation, what does significantly mean in terms of preorders. Microsoft and Sony can use statements like these to entice more preorders.

I completely agree with you regarding there 2nd statement. Significant means absolutely nothing to us. Again I was only wondering regarding the posters comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

logik wrote: »
    We just need to let the games do the talking, there are ups and downs to both systems. On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 but the 360 outperformed on many multi platform games. Spec is not everything. I feel that Microsoft customised CPU will have a big part to play.
    It was the cell and the split memory which was the Cause of bad multi platform games and one main reason exclusive on ps3 look a lot better doh on ps4 there won't be this problem because it a more balance console.It gona be interesting to see how there gona compare against each other in 2 to 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We just need to let the games do the talking, there are ups and downs to both systems. On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 but the 360 outperformed on many multi platform games. Spec is not everything. I feel that Microsoft customised CPU will have a big part to play.

No the 360 GPU is more powerful than the PS3 GPU, it's just the media hyped up the Cell CPU in the PS3 that is more powerful than the 3 core PowerPC CPU in the 360. The GPU spec is more important over all for graphics performance and this time the PS4 has the more powerful GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sony refused to release a console so it could be opened and examined inside to see how is works. All we know is that is has 8GB GDDR5 shared memory of which only 4.5GB is usable with the rest being reserved for the OS to run on. We dont know how it will work, Sony's tech guys wont go into detail on anything. That is not in the best interest of the buyer in my eyes, would you buy a new car without a test drive and a spec sheet? I think not.
    I agree, there is something not quite right about it. If they were confident about the system they would show it off and they'd get commended for doing do. Back before Microsoft did a u-turn I was almost going to pre-order the PS4 but I waited and waited to see the internals of the PS4 with keen interest to see how it keeps cool in long gaming sessions but it was never revealed while Microsoft confidently revealed theirs for inspection, so kudos to MS.

While people can say Sony never did that before, the world has changed since 2005 when the PS3 was released. Sony should stop saying how much more powerful it is and show it, not on paper, make a game that is exceptionally better than the XB1 to entice me to consider the PS4.

Microsoft can keep putting money on awesome console exclusives like Titanfall which is firmly keeping me in the MS camp.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

While people can say Sony never did that before, the world has changed since 2005 when the PS3 was released.

Totally right, social media has changed the way that companies need to communicate.

To their credit, Microsoft's communication has been faultless, it's the content of their communications that has caused them all the problems this generation.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    To their credit, Microsoft's communication has been faultless, it's the content of their communications that has caused them all the problems this generation.

Say wha, communication skills include the content of it. MS communications since E3 are a disaster, shooting themselves in the foot left right and centre. All they have been doing for months is damage assessment and limitation. They have done more u-turns than a blind person driving on the M50. They need to brush up on the communication work big time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll probably try pick up an Xbox One, once I'm done with the 360 and games for a trade sometimes next year, but I'm in no doubt the PS4 will be a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sony have given out information about all aspects of of the console and have not hidden anything, besides showing the inside of the console and like I said if there was a issue with it the developers who got the dev kits would of let us know, they have had no issues grilling the One, they have also had a spec sheet out since February so you know what is in the box anyway. Sony have also answered any questions asked of the console and have not given vague answers that lead to more questions being asked, even on twitter Shuhei Yoshida always takes time to answer peoples questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Microsoft have been terrible with messaging, no doubt. They have created a backlash from consumers. At this point, though, with the climate there is, I'd say there are cases of the gaming media exacerbating it. I'll point to one example to illustrate it.

Kinect_zpsf20341e8.jpg

The article itself is this one.
    "If even a fraction of likely Xbox One users could be persuaded to share data, the technology could create the world's largest panel for measuring biometric responses to advertising."
    It's interesting, I think. Headlines are made as click bait. Videos on YouTube have a controversial title to get people to click. Oh, yes, it gets people to click all right. It doesn't get people to engage with what they have clicked, but to mouth off about whatever the title says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Microsoft have been terrible with messaging, no doubt. They have created a backlash from consumers. At this point, though, with the climate there is, I'd say there are cases of the gaming media exacerbating it. I'll point to one example to illustrate it.

Kinect_zpsf20341e8.jpg

The article itself is this one.

It's interesting, I think. Headlines are made as click bait. Videos on YouTube have a controversial title to get people to click. Oh, yes, it gets people to click all right. It doesn't get people to engage with what they have clicked, but to mouth off about whatever the title says.

This is true, even the whole deal with privacy and advertising was featured on NBC news last night and they blew it out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I think it's funny that in PS4 forum nobody really mention xbox One, but here (xbox one discussion) it's mostly about PS4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

198321 wrote: »
    I think it's funny that in PS4 forum nobody really mention xbox One, but here (xbox one discussion) it's mostly about PS4 :D

usually because people who have decided to get a xb1 dont care about the ps4 or will pick one up at a later date, while ps4 guys seem to love coming over to mention how much better the ps4 is etc.

I havent once visited the ps4 forum while ive seen countless people on this forum saying how great the ps4 is etc why bother in the xbox forum?

I plan on getting both. I haven't yet posted in the PS4 section. Honestly, haven't even looked at the thread over there. I got a PS3 for the games I couldn't get anywhere else. I loved them games to varying degrees and know the PS4 will be great. With the 360, I got the exclusives, obviously, but it was my choice for multiplat games. There are a number of reasons for this. The controller, the face off results, achievements and the associated competition with people for example.

With the next gen, it's a whole new world. I don't know which will be my primary console, or indeed if I'll end up having a primary console in the same way as I did this gen. The games I want that'll be out early are the multiplat games, so bearing that in mind, it seems pragmatic to go with the PS4 first. I mean, you are paying less for the console itself, and if you hold off, the One price could go down, though it isn't something I'd hold my breath on. Just being aware of possibilities.

There are other factors though, such as the controller which I'm going to want to try myself and not hear about second hand, but more importantly the time aspect. Part of me thinks I should wait until Summer time. It will give the consoles some time on the market to see how things are going with them, and I'd also have more free time. Granted I could spend a good bit of time on gaming before that, it would come at a cost that would probably be too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I'm only getting PS4 as I cant afford both and also wouldn't play too much to justify having both. I believe PS4 is going to have better exclusives in future (since I like games like uncharted), but at the moment Forza and Dead Rising 3 look much better than whatever is on PS4 (drive club or crew looks boring to me) ..
    For now I only ordered Watch Dogs and I'm sure that is going to be same on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Microsoft confidently revealed theirs for inspection, so kudos to MS.

Microsoft had to show the internals after the whole RROD fiasco.

No other tech company that I can think of shows the internals of their systems before launch (or after, as they are usually broken down by tech sites and blogs).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Say wha, communication skills include the content of it. MS communications since E3 are a disaster, shooting themselves in the foot left right and centre. All they have been doing for months is damage assessment and limitation. They have done more u-turns than a blind person driving on the M50. They need to brush up on the communication work big time imo.

Yes, fair enough, I totally butchered getting my point across there. I suppose that I mean that regardless of how badly Microsoft has handled their message, their present on social media, and in media in general, has been pleasantly open.

Whether that was always the original plan or not, I don't know (I doubt it), but I do like reading the information that they've put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

198321 wrote: »

That's because Sony fanboys are trolls and are so insanely jealous of the superior MS that they can't help themselves but to come over and throw mud:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Otacon wrote: »
    Microsoft had to show the internals after the whole RROD fiasco.

No other tech company that I can think of shows the internals of their systems before launch (or after, as they are usually broken down by tech sites and blogs).

Have had 3 ps3 consoles fail on me.. And go onto adverts and see the amount of ylod ps3s for sale it's shocking

So maybe Sony should show their internals too!!

But with the 360 it's an over heating issue melting bad soldiers on the board, not so with the PS3. MS have to show how they are combating cooling with more empty space and larger fan/s for air circulation. You can't actually see the PS3 flaws if you open one up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Not gettn the PS4 or Xbox1

I`m going back to the commodore 64!

Platoon what a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

But with the 360 it's an over heating issue melting bad soldiers on the board, not so with the PS3. MS have to show how they are combating cooling with more empty space and larger fan/s for air circulation. You can't actually see the PS3 flaws if you open one up.

Point is the ps3 was also massively flawed how can you defend it by saying you couldn't see the fault?? :D

Point is the ps3 was also massively flawed how can you defend it by saying you couldn't see the fault?? :D
    Well you can see the fault in that the console isn't working. I guess there is nothing in the internals of the PS3 that would clearly show why that was the case. The point does stand though. Sony could stand with showing the internals to give peace of mind, too. At least, to whatever extent showing the internals can do such a thing.

On my third 360. Still on my first PS3. Luck of the draw, maybe. Maybe.

Edit: Fourth Xbox, I remembered I had to bring the launch model back to HMV, it kept freezing on loading Perfect Dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Grayditch wrote: »
    On my third 360. Still on my first PS3. Luck of the draw, maybe. Maybe.

Edit: Fourth Xbox, I remembered I had to bring the launch model back to HMV, it kept freezing on loading Perfect Dark.
    My first Xbox is still knocking around, two housemates in the last two years have had their PS3 YLOD on them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nolars wrote: »
    usually because people who have decided to get a xb1 dont care about the ps4 or will pick one up at a later date, while ps4 guys seem to love coming over to mention how much better the ps4 is etc.

I havent once visited the ps4 forum while ive seen countless people on this forum saying how great the ps4 is etc why bother in the xbox forum?

they're like the android díckheads over in the Apple forum..they just cant' resist coming and spouting shíte whereas you'd never see an Apple guy over on the android forum.

Now I'm trying to decided should I cancel my pre-order and wait and see which one seems to be the best or go ahead with the xbox one..I do prefer the xbox controller by miles..dualshock sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Sony could stand with showing the internals to give peace of mind, too. At least, to whatever extent showing the internals can do such a thing.

I have raised this point before but for many, seeing the internals of the PS4 would be like looking into a sow's ear. Most people would have no idea how the airflow was designed or how the heat would be re-distributed.
    Blazer wrote: »
    I do prefer the xbox controller by miles..dualshock sucks.

Honestly, I would advise everyone to wait until they get an opportunity to hold the DS4 before dismissing it. Every aspect of it has been improved to the point where all of my friends who have tried both feel that the two controllers are almost on par with each other.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Every aspect of it has been improved to the point where all of my friends who have tried both feel that the two controllers are almost on par with each other.

Not every aspect. As long at that left thumbstick is in the unnatural position it is, it will always be inferior no matter what else they do. Very stubborn of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Honestly, I would advise everyone to wait until they get an opportunity to hold the DS4 before dismissing it. Every aspect of it has been improved to the point where all of my friends who have tried both feel that the two controllers are almost on par with each other.

Don't agree here sorry, the Xbox controller layout is undoubtedly better than the Playstation. This is not just my view, this discussion has been had for years and the Xbox controller is more ergonomic, it just dosent feel right having the thumb sticks side by side.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you're used to. I don't mind the sticks side by side, but I prefer the 360 controller overall, anyway. Interested to see if they've improved on it. I'm used to the DS3, and I've no problem with it, but that's not to say the DS4 won't make me not want to touch it again, if its as good as the reviews are saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement