Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am going off course here. I believe Sony should be commended for getting a next gen console down to that size with an in built psu but I would have needed to hear from experts regarding how it works before preordering it. Surely they can only gain from showing the internals. It makes me think they fear some criticism about the console which in-turn might effect preorders.

In fairness, the console would need to be in the hands of people, before anyone can determine how well they work. Microsoft showing the internals, while certainly nice to see, doesn't really tell us how it will perform in the real world, and it was a necessary step, to calm peoples fears after the RROD fiasco.

Also, the PS3 hardware issues, are nothing compared to the Xbox 360 RROD issues, which was hugely wide spread. Pretty much everyone who I know who had an Xbox 360 had an RROD as some point (including myself), and in the case of the PS3, I didn't see anywhere near the same hardware faults amongst people I know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think I'm the only man alive to never have RROD.

I already have the Xbox One it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You've jinxed yourself now ;)
    Surely you have angered the 360 gods.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No no, you're just in the smaller percentage of owners who didn't have a RRoD failure...it wasn't a 100% failure rate after all. MS of course did sort all this out with later revisions, so im not overly concerned with either consoles reliability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No, had a launch 360 that never gave me a problem, and I played the hell out of it too.

Why I replaced it is actually a funny story too. I work in software testing, and a few years back, I was learning test automation, basically writing a script that would test a website hundreds/thousands of times. Once I got up to speed on it, I realised that I could automate any menial task that involved any website in the world, so, with an evil maniacal laugh, I turned my attentions to the competitions page on Entertainment.ie, the one website in the world that actually boasted in it's rules that "You can enter as many times as you want!!!"

I don't think they planned on getting hundred thousand entries from one person in one night. Won a two hundred Euro voucher for HMV, and they changed the rules the next day. Disappointing, but I put it towards a new 360 slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hang on - what?

can I come play it? I'll bring a house warming present...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

hang on - what?

can I come play it? I'll bring a house warming present...

Stay at home. There's no games for it yet and no backwards compatibility. Could get awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've traded in my first 360 for a HDMI one and that's it, it might not get used much but it's never had a problem.

Never had a problem bar the odd system crash that was probably down to the game I was playing.

In saying that the unit I have for my A/V gear is completely open all sides so it very well ventilated. Enough that the build of dust drives me nuts. Nothing worse than dusty tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Never had a problem bar the odd system crash that was probably down to the game I was playing.

In saying that the unit I have for my A/V gear is completely open all sides so it very well ventilated. Enough that the build of dust drives me nuts. Nothing worse than dusty tech.

Speaking of dusty tech, you should see my work PC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I must be lucky, have every console Sony and Sega made and have never suffered any issue, the other half has everything Nintendo and Microsoft has made and has had to replace two 360's, in fairness and she denies it, I think she rage threw a controller at one of the 360's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've only ever had one Sony product break on me (headphones) , from what feels like dozens over the years, including Walkmen, Minidiscs, Playstations, Tv's, phones, etc. Not sure I'm lucky, or they're just a solid brand. I'd go with the latter, considering my luck with other devices.

Sony... great bunch of lads.
    father%20ted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I don't buy many sony items but I've had two playstations fail and a tv after about a year. I also know a few others that their playstations stopped reading discs. Had the RRoD once and it was replaced pretty quickly at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On my 3rd 360. Never had RRoD either. The ones i had suffered disc drive failure.

Between 'repairs' done by MS, and new consoles, I'm on my 10th console I think.

2 repairs, a swap for a new one from gamestop, 2 repairs to that when it RRODed, a replacement console, 2 repairs, a replacement and finally buying a new Elite one a couple of years ago when the last replacement one started to make a lot of whirring noise and increasingly decide not to load games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This thread has gone a bit off topic. Let's stick to Xbox One please.

Yeah, it comes down to which logic you want to get behind. The 360 was a generally ropey machine for a lot of people, so the Xbox One might follow suit, OR maybe, as has been said, this bad history will prompt a solid build for the new machine.

Also, failure rates of the 360 dropped, so it's not like MS haven't just let it slide. Not quite sure the accuracy of this, but if it's to be believed, it's a good sign for the Xbox One, build wise, I guess.

14b095a44724412b50d8252617fe15b6289f1999.jpg__620x321_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

A lot of that improvement is down to die-size advances allowing for cooler units with much less heat output. Once the Elites came out with the Jasper chipsets it improved no end.

A lot of that improvement is down to die-size advances allowing for cooler units with much less heat output. Once the Elites came out with the Jasper chipsets it improved no end.

Problem was essentially gone once the Jasper chipsets hit the market. I remember going to HMV and trading my older 360 in for a Elite 120GB Jasper to kinda future proof myself from any failures.

Since I have the Elite, I've had no problems. That said, it could be down to a lot less usage since picking up a P... another console to split the time with it, but I'd imagine it was not just that.

logik wrote: »
    Problem was essentially gone once the Jasper chipsets hit the market. I remember going to HMV and trading my older 360 in for a Elite 120GB Jasper to kinda future proof myself from any failures.

Well the graph above shows they didn't really come down to acceptable levels until 2011/2012 and the Jasper came out in 2008.

In saying that - those failures could still have been originals or pre-jasper models that just took their time blowing up and so were inflating the post-jasper figures.

• Advertisement

Well the graph above shows they didn't really come down to acceptable levels until 2011/2012 and the Jasper came out in 2008.

In saying that - those failures could still have been originals or pre-jasper models that just took their time blowing up and so were inflating the post-jasper figures.

True, and most likely the case. Microsoft released so many revisions of their chipset to tackle the issues around heat.

90nm die size (original 360)

Xenon
    Zephyr

65nm die size

Opus
    Falcon

Followed by the:

Jasper
    Vejle

There was a massive fail rate with the early 90nm chipsets. I think this is where most of the failures came from.

The Falcon chipset really helped things, bringing the power consumption and heat down but there were still a number of failures.

Once the Jasper came out, the 360 was only using 150 watts and running quite cool with very little failures.

I think the Vejle is the newer 360 slim with the glossy case cover, again little to no failures.

Microsoft actively made mistakes and changes with the current Gen so again, I really doubt they are going to repeat this with the next Gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

logik wrote: »
    True, and most likely the case. Microsoft released so many revisions of their chipset to tackle the issues around heat.

90nm die size (original 360)

Xenon
    Zephyr

65nm die size

Opus
    Falcon

Followed by the:

Jasper
    Vejle

There was a massive fail rate with the early 90nm chipsets. I think this is where most of the failures came from.

The Falcon chipset really helped things, bringing the power consumption and heat down but there were still a number of failures.

Once the Jasper came out, the 360 was only using 150 watts and running quite cool with very little failures.

I think the Vejle is the newer 360 slim with the glossy case cover, again little to no failures.

Microsoft actively made mistakes and changes with the current Gen so again, I really doubt they are going to repeat this with the next Gen.
    I just hope Xbox one built like the first Xbox that thing was a tank were 360 was some poorly built car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Got play both One and PS4 on Friday through work, though both were obviously running early code/unreliable demo units etc.

Funny but it seems once again, aside from everything else, the controllers are making massive first impressions same as the 360 and ps3.

DS4 is a massive improvement, I'll give them that, but the One controller is just stellar. Can't say I had any gripes with the bumpers as others have had, through and through a fantastic design in my book.

On the console end, got a good comparison by playing DriveClub followed immediately by Forza, hands down One had the edge. Obviously Forza has a legacy of superiority that helped it out here, but all in all it was a better experience. Killer Instinct is pretty damn sweet too.

Got an idea of the advanced Kinect 2 as well, didnt try any games but the reactions out of it even to people walking by at half decent pace were a clear indicator that it's well ahead of the muck that preceeded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

SO UNFAIR!!!! When is it my turn to play:mad:
    I'm getting the day one edition, but will try to swap FIFA for Forza, I love Forza:o I'm still trying to get the Top Gear lap record but that's never going to happen.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A pretty good comparison, though I disagree regarding the triggers on the XBO.

I'd have to try it myself, but if Microsoft haven't nailed the Dpad this time around, that's a bit of a misstep.

What are the problems with the bumpers some are having?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I will try to dig out the youtube link but there was one pretty in depth one showing the features of the Xbox One controller and from the looks of it the dpad is recessed into the controller it should make for a better experience with fighting games etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Grayditch wrote: »
    What are the problems with the bumpers some are having?

I can't speak for anyone else but the way they are now flatter and wider means there is very little room separating them. A few times, I ended up pressing both which was annoying.

The rumble feature is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Otacon wrote: »
    I can't speak for anyone else but the way they are now flatter and wider means there is very little room separating them. A few times, I ended up pressing both which was annoying.

The rumble feature is good though.

I found wit the new controller design though that I was just easily able to knock the bumper with my knuckle when I wanted rather than moving my entire finger off the trigger, something I prefer and can only sometimes guarantee getting right on the 360

We were also giving a presentation solely on how much R&D has gone into the controller and the increased sensitivity was addresses, I'd urge anyone getting hands on with it to try it out. Thumbs stick barely needs moving for a reaction on screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement