Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Really stuggling to think of a second game to get with the Xbox One.

Will obviously be getting FIFA14.

Was going to get WatchDogs, but that isn't going to be happening.

Getting the PS4 the following week with Killzone (early Christmas and Birthday present...) - so no sure about getting CoD or Battlefield for the Xbox. Might go with NFS or Forza. Will prob go with NFS as the arcade style will be more forgiving to my poor driving ability (was a massive fan of Forza Horizon but the main Forza games not so much).

Crimson Dragon will only be about €10-€15, it is only a downloadable game, but if it gets good reviews, could be worth picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I was the same until last night and that's where the messy, disjointed start begins to give way to a structured, more focused game. Stick at it. If you switch to The Last of Us you won't go back. Last of Us is a masterpiece imo.

Thought it was overrated myself, as so many games are these days. Good story, gameplay was boring/repetitive/clumsy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A verified X1 developer posted it dimensions on Reddit
    Console (LxWxH):
    13.1″ x 10.8″ x 3.1″
    33.3cm x 27.4cm x 7.9cm

Kinect 2 (LxWxH):
    9.8″ x 2.6″ x 2.63″
    24.9cm x 6.6cm x 6.7cm
    Kinect cable approx. 9.5 feet (2.9m) long

The post adds that the measurements were, “Measured with a tape where the precision is 1/8 so all values are an approximation.”

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1m00s8/xbox_one_and_kinect_20_dimensions/cc4i0sz

Also Microsoft has denied that the X1 will run all Windows 8 Apps.
    “The suggestion that all Windows 8 apps run on Xbox One is not accurate,” a representative said.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/21/xbox-one-will-run-windows-8-apps-according-to-website-listing-report/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »

Yes, while it's the larger of the two consoles, it does not look out of place under a television. Considering the size of my A/V receiver, I won't have a problem with it.
    Xenji wrote: »

It was always going to be like this. At the very minimum, any app would need to be recompiled, but there's plenty of apps that make no sense what-so-ever on the Xbox One. Apps will also need to be recoded to take advantage of the Kinect voice input.

Also, the vast majority of Windows 8 apps are cause for immense sadness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll be getting FIFA 14 for free which I'll sell to get the Killer Instict Ultimate Edition. Will also get Dead Rising 3 plus Battlefield 4 and/or CODGhosts .

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Thought it was overrated myself, as so many games are these days. Good story, gameplay was boring/repetitive/clumsy at times.

I'm a sucker for a good story and the post-apocalyptic genre as a whole.

While the gameplay could be repetitive it was almost on a par with splinter cell in terms of satisfaction when you cleared a whole room without being detected. Good long game too which is rare when the production values are so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I was the same until last night and that's where the messy, disjointed start begins to give way to a structured, more focused game. Stick at it. If you switch to The Last of Us you won't go back. Last of Us is a masterpiece imo.

You're right the last of us is a brilliant game but.......I played tombraider directly after I completed it and preferred tombraider more..

Next on the list actually. Although Arkham Origins just popped up on my radar.

Coming into silly season now.

Next on the list actually. Although Arkham Origins just popped up on my radar.

Coming into silly season now.

It's a shame it won't be on next gen...

Is that confirmed or is it similar to how GTA V won't be on next-gen? Which according to rumours is purely to discourage people holding off buying it on current-gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

mark_m360 wrote: »
    No Kinect voice controls for Ireland, Austria or New Zealand at launch.

The X1 is sounding more like a souped up 360 for us right now!
    We should be fine at launch. Most of our Xbox's have the language set to English UK.

Quote from Microsoft
    "Our vision is to bring conversational voice control and voice search to every country where we sell Xbox. At Xbox One launch, we will offer voice control in 10 of our 13 launch markets, with eight total languages: English US, English UK, French, Spanish MX, Spanish ES, Italian, German, and Portuguese. There will be some voice experience variations in different markets at launch; the 'Xbox On' voice command will only be available in five markets (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Germany) and will come to others in the near future.

Is that confirmed or is it similar to how GTA V won't be on next-gen? Which according to rumours is purely to discourage people holding off buying it on current-gen.

It's legit alright, the biggest issue I think that a new game engine would have to be built to facilitate the game on next gen.
    http://n4g.com/news/1361019/why-batman-arkham-origins-will-not-be-available-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

King Krib wrote: »
    You're right the last of us is a brilliant game but.......I played tombraider directly after I completed it and preferred tombraider more..

I'm playing Tomb Raider atm and probably enjoying it more that TLOU too. I'm not that far into it so hopefully it desn't get boring later on, but so far very good.

GTA V will definitely come out on next gen. There's money to be made and there's no way they'll not release it at some point. People will buy it to see how amazing it looks on next gen especially if they don't play on a good PC. The game looked great for 360/ps3, but the world will look amazing on PC/next gen I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

Getting FIFA (for free) BF4 and cod at launch. Dead rising or AC for Christmas. That's my leaving cert out the window ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I was watching an Xbox One Tour YouTube video and noticed the different coloured controllers. What's the story with these? If you jump to 1.04 in the video you'll see what I'm talking about:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

King Krib wrote: »

Tombraider was a fantastic game. Was surprised how much i loved it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Titanfall to be released on March 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Known this for months.The Irish will be the new French of Battlefield:D

I guess, but this is more prove, then just mere speculation. I just done 5 to 10 minutes research on google.

Xbox Live and the dedicated servers will be running from Microsoft’s Azure Cloud platform. Remember the 300,000 server claim by Microsoft!

Azures datacenters locations currently found them on Wikipedia

The locations of the data centers[8][9] are:
    North America
    North-central US - Chicago, IL
    South-central US - San Antonio, TX
    West US - California
    East US - Virginia
    Asia
    East Asia - Hong Kong, China
    South East Asia - Singapore
    Europe
    North Europe - Dublin, Ireland
    West Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Oceania (announced, coming soon)[10]
    Sydney, New South Wales (announced, coming soon)
    Melbourne, Victoria (announced, coming soon)
    The CDN nodes are located in 24 countries

Deployment in Ireland[edit]
    As of July 2010, Microsoft had completed 6,000 installations of Azure in Ireland.[13] Executives at Microsoft hoped that this figure would rise to 100,000 installations by 2011.[13]
    Construction of the $500 million facility required 1 million man-hours of work with a peak workforce of around 2,100 workers.[14] The facility, which began operating on July 1, 2009, currently covers 303,000 square feet (2.815 hectares), with 5.4 megawatts of critical power available. Over time, the data center can expand to a total of 22.2 mega watts of critical power to support future growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I guess, but this is more prove, then just mere speculation. I just done 5 to 10 minutes research on google.

Xbox Live and the dedicated servers will be running from Microsoft’s Azure Cloud platform. Remember the 300,000 server claim by Microsoft!

Azures datacenters locations currently found them on Wikipedia

The locations of the data centers[8][9] are:
    North America
    North-central US - Chicago, IL
    South-central US - San Antonio, TX
    West US - California
    East US - Virginia
    Asia
    East Asia - Hong Kong, China
    South East Asia - Singapore
    Europe
    North Europe - Dublin, Ireland
    West Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Oceania (announced, coming soon)[10]
    Sydney, New South Wales (announced, coming soon)
    Melbourne, Victoria (announced, coming soon)
    The CDN nodes are located in 24 countries

Deployment in Ireland[edit]
    As of July 2010, Microsoft had completed 6,000 installations of Azure in Ireland.[13] Executives at Microsoft hoped that this figure would rise to 100,000 installations by 2011.[13]
    Construction of the $500 million facility required 1 million man-hours of work with a peak workforce of around 2,100 workers.[14] The facility, which began operating on July 1, 2009, currently covers 303,000 square feet (2.815 hectares), with 5.4 megawatts of critical power available. Over time, the data center can expand to a total of 22.2 mega watts of critical power to support future growth.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/jobs-boost-as-microsofts-380m-dublin-data-centre-gets-goahead-29592232.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Word going around that CoD on Xbone is only running at 720p. Infinity Ward is showing the PS4 version now, and Microsoft isn't denying it.

It's not confirmed yet but that would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

LookingFor wrote: »
    Word going around that CoD on Xbone is only running at 720p. Infinity Ward is showing the PS4 version now, and Microsoft isn't denying it.

Ya, the thread on NeoGaf has exploded

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702055

mattrickps4on42yut.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

LookingFor wrote: »

Who plays COD for the graphics?? Its all about killing noobs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Who plays COD for the graphics?? Its all about killing noobs ;)

I agree. I doubt it's going to stop it selling gazillions for XBO... but, is this just the first title like this? The rumour is Titanfall will also be 720p on XBO (1080p on PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Why would you spend €500 on the XBO if it's not too much of a improvement on the 360?
    Looking at the PS4 footage yesterday on IGN, Ghosts is not a good looking game and doesn't look like it should push the new hardware at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Why would you spend €500 on the XBO if it's not too much of a improvement on the 360?
    Looking at the PS4 footage yesterday on IGN, Ghosts is not a good looking game and doesn't look like it should push the new hardware at all.

Dosent surprise me. And the sound effects are just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

logik wrote: »
    Dosent surprise me. And the sound effects are just awful.

FFS - the gun barrels and helmets couldn't be more round, what the feck do you people want? THE MOON?

And that isn't even mentioning the AI Fish!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Couldn't give a funk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm still waiting on a rumour from Neogaf to be accurate, so I'll take this one with a very large pinch of salt.

There's also the fact that Albert Panello has already talked about the resolution as being 1080. See here: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/15/microsofts-albert-penello-investigates-on-xbox-oneps4-resolution-differences-discusses-findings/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement