Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on a rumour from Neogaf to be accurate, so I'll take this one with a very large pinch of salt.

They got the DriveClub delay pretty spot on, as well as quite a few others.

Again, I don't think it will affect sales of the game or console at all - not unless it starts to become the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Who plays COD for the graphics?? Its all about killing noobs ;)

Ha, yeah. CoD has never been a graphical showcase.

But if you're putting down 400 or 500 bones on a new console, 720p on a game that isn't even fully next-gen is disappointing. I thought it would be 1080p, easy.

And it makes me wonder about how other games will run on Xbox One compared to PS4. I know Titanfall isn't coming out on PS4 but talk is that it's also 720p at the moment.

I mean, if we don't care about graphics, might as well stick to 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Why would you spend €500 on the XBO if it's not too much of a improvement on the 360?
    Looking at the PS4 footage yesterday on IGN, Ghosts is not a good looking game and doesn't look like it should push the new hardware at all.

Why buy a Ferrari if it's not much of an improvement on a fiat :rolleyes:

Cod is Cod, it will look a lot better and hopefully plays well on the new engine. BLOPS2 was the first Cod I've enjoyed since Cod4 so hopefully they don't mess this one up. People get their panties in a twist over anything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Ah in fairness, the new consoles are more than just about graphics. The increased computational power for world building, better AI etc is much more important to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Otacon wrote: »
    They got the DriveClub delay pretty spot on, as well as quite a few others.

Again, I don't think it will affect sales of the game or console at all - not unless it starts to become the norm.

Fair enough, i didn't know that they got that right.

I suppose that i can't remember a rumour from Neogaf that has been discussed in this thread as being accurate, so I've probably missed out on all the Playstation 4 rumours.

Personally, I don't think that graphics are going to be the defining characteristic of this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Why would you spend €500 on the XBO if it's not too much of a improvement on the 360?
    What is your contention here? That more games on the PS4 will be 1080p? Or does the money difference excuse such a thing? For anyone this is an issue (about either console) just wait for a price drop. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What is your contention here? That more games on the PS4 will be 1080p? Or does the money difference excuse such a thing? For anyone this is an issue (about either console) just wait for a price drop. Simple.

If the XBO can't run a decade old game engine at 1080, how's it going to run the newer game engines at a decent clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am shocked at how quickly this rumour has spread. People on Twitter are posting all yesterday like its fact.

It doesnt bother me at all if true. I'd rather play COD Ghosts using dedicated servers at 720p resolution on the Xbox One than player hosted 1080p resolution on the PS4.

I seriously doubt the rumours since we know BF4 looks better on the Xbox One so far.
    Battlefield 4 is 720p on both PS4 and XB1.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If the XBO can't run a decade old game engine at 1080, how's it going to run the newer game engines at a decent clip?

Not saying this is the case, but sometimes it's because it's a decade old game engine that restricts newer hardware from running it efficiently.

All in all though, if it turns out to be true that arguably the biggest release of the dawn of the next generation (at least in terms of sales) has such a gulf of a performance difference between consoles then it will be massively detrimental to Xbox.

[Edit - mis-read previous posts - nothing to see here]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just wondering if anyone has heard from retailers about their preorders? I preordered a Day One in Smyth's in Bray in August-the girl said I was guaranteed launch. Since I haven't heard anything since Aug., I assume that's still the case?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, one of the press people i trust has tweeted about it, and while he didn't confirm it, it does seem more likely to me now.

Ben Kuchera runs the PA report, which i rate pretty highly. He also called it, and said most people won't care. Again, i keep thinking that this is the first generation where the hardcore gamer is no longer the most important demographic.

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/392992808161660928

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has heard from retailers about their preorders? I preordered a Day One in Smyth's in Bray in August-the girl said I was guaranteed launch. Since I haven't heard anything since Aug., I assume that's still the case?

I'd imagine so. I doubt they will call or mail everyone with "don't worry - we didn't lie to you" message with a month to go.

Either way, calling Smyth's in Bray to confirm your pre-order and enquire what time you can pick it up might help you sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG Four Weeks 2 days.

Really wish there were midnight openings for this, but oh well.

I suppose in reality it would actually just mean I get to play it for an hour before old age says I'm tired and have to sleep.... so the morning will be fine.

I swear though - if there are any traffic problems there is going to be war on the N11!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG Four Weeks 2 days.

Really wish there were midnight openings for this, but oh well.

I suppose in reality it would actually just mean I get to play it for an hour before old age says I'm tired and have to sleep.... so the morning will be fine.

I swear though - if there are any traffic problems there is going to be war on the N11!

I don't trust the N11.....it doesn't trust me........I know this.........it knows this........I have formulated a plan.......it doesn't know this........I forgot to write it down...........it knows this.

We know that Forza 5 is native 1080p at 60 FPS on the Xbox One so we know its more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, one of the press people i trust has tweeted about it, and while he didn't confirm it, it does seem more likely to me now.

Ben Kuchera runs the PA report, which i rate pretty highly. He also called it, and said most people won't care. Again, i keep thinking that this is the first generation where the hardcore gamer is no longer the most important demographic.

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/392992808161660928

He's the corporate apologist who said people wouldn't care if MS and Sony screwed over the second hard market :P

Ben Kuchera being gobby about a controversy is a good sign people do actually care. He likes to ruffle feathers for the hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can imagine that being a kind of big deal, where COD is involved. I wonder why they can't get it to 1080 on the Xbox.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I don't trust the N11.....it doesn't trust me........I know this.........it knows this........I have formulated a plan.......it doesn't know this........I forgot to write it down...........it knows this.

Ordered from the Microsoft website, so I'll be getting it delivered straight to my door. Hopefully it gets there on time!

LookingFor wrote: »
    He's the corporate apologist who said people wouldn't care if MS and Sony screwed over the second hard market :P

Ben Kuchera being gobby about a controversy is a good sign people do actually care. He likes to ruffle feathers for the hits.

Well, i think that the majority of people who buy consoles wouldn't have cared, just the hardcore demographic, so that's probably why i like him :)

Nice dodge.
    LookingFor wrote: »
    If both did, then that would be true. Ok, not initially, but people would not avoid consoles en masse and switch to PC such that PC would dominate consoles. Rage and irritation would change to grudging acceptance if restricted second hand consoles were the only games in town. Well, Wii U would probably see more support too, but both One and PS4 would still sell a lot regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am shocked at how quickly this rumour has spread. People on Twitter are posting all yesterday like its fact.

It doesnt bother me at all if true. I'd rather play COD Ghosts using dedicated servers at 720p resolution on the Xbox One than player hosted 1080p resolution on the PS4.

I seriously doubt the rumours since we know BF4 looks better on the Xbox One so far.

Battlefield 4 runs at 1080p on the PS4 according to the PSN store.

Battlefield4.jpg

Xenji wrote: »
    Battlefield 4 runs at 1080p on the PS4 according to the PSN store.

Seriously lacking the word 'native' though. Stick an SD DVD in the PS3 and it will output 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

There are dedicated servers for PS4 too.

And BF4 resolution hasnt been confirmed but is rumoured to be higher on ps4 too.

One thing is for sure, Digital Foundry will have a lot of peoples attention in the next year.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, Digital Foundry will have a lot of peoples attention in the next year.

Which is quite sad in a way. There's no way console gaming of the 2000s will ever be held with the same romantic nostalgia as that of the 1980s and 1990s where the games were the one and only focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Seriously lacking the word 'native' though. Stick an SD DVD in the PS3 and it will output 1080p.

You're not quite right with that, if the incoming signal matches the native resolution of the display exactly, such as when a 1080p HDTV displays a 1080i HDTV channel or a 1080p signal from a Blu-ray player, no scaling occurs. It only upscales when the incoming signal is below 1080p such as a SD DVD or a 720p game.

There are dedicated servers for PS4 too.

And BF4 resolution hasnt been confirmed but is rumoured to be higher on ps4 too.
    Battlefield 3 & 4 have dedicated servers on both platforms however every XB1 game has the option to utilise dedicated servers from Microsoft. COD ghosts has dedicated servers only on the XB1 but PS4 doesn't. Those are the facts at the moment.

I see someone from Microsoft tweeted that COD ghosts looks amazing on the XB1 but didn't deny the 720 rumour. That's not good. If you were MS and the Timor wasn't true you'd be denying ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh, Timor exists, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Battlefield 3 & 4 have dedicated servers on both platforms however every XB1 game has the option to utilise dedicated servers from Microsoft. COD ghosts has dedicated servers only on the XB1 but PS4 doesn't. Those are the facts at the moment.

Mark Rubin from IW would say otherwise:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpgkjd
    GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I see someone from Microsoft tweeted that COD ghosts looks amazing on the XB1 but didn't deny the 720 rumour. That's not good. If you were MS and the Timor wasn't true you'd be denying ASAP.

No. PS4 has dedicated servers for ghosts too. It was discretely confirmed by Mark Rubin a week or two ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement