Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Xbox One paid off today.

Now to look into selling the PS3 and assorted games. can't see there being much of a market for it!

€20 :)
    just out of curiosity why did you plump for the xb1 over the ps4?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blazer wrote: »
    €20 :)
    just out of curiosity why did you plump for the xb1 over the ps4?

I didn't.

Buying the X1 myself - the other half is getting me the PS4 as a joint Christmas/30th birthday present (Birthday and christmas very close for me).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I didn't.

Buying the X1 myself - the other half is getting me the PS4 as a joint Christmas/30th birthday present (Birthday and christmas very close for me).

You're what's known in the business as a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The Battlefield 4 next-gen NDA lifted over night. The rumours about the XB1 version being 720p were true. PS4 version is 1600x900.

I don't think the XB1 version looks terrible by comparison but some of the missing effects in multiplayer vs PS4 are grating.

Don't know how well it bodes for multiplatform games going forward.

You're what's known in the business as a bastard.

Not just in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

LookingFor wrote: »
    The Battlefield 4 next-gen NDA lifted over night. The rumours about the XB1 version being 720p were true. PS4 version is 1600x900.

I don't think the XB1 version looks terrible by comparison but some of the missing effects in multiplayer vs PS4 are grating.

Don't know how well it bodes for multiplatform games going forward.

It's weird though, in the side by side video the XB1 version looks crisper to my eyes. The PS4 looks a lower resolution and yet the testers are telling us it's 720p vs 900p.

On watching the vid and waiting to see which was which I was saying to myself I bet the PS4 is on the right as it looked better to me but low and behold the XB1 version is on the right.

I can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Batesy wrote: »
    It's weird though, in the side by side video the XB1 version looks crisper to my eyes. The PS4 looks a lower resolution and yet the testers are telling us it's 720p vs 900p.

On watching the vid and waiting to see which was which I was saying to myself I bet the PS4 is on the right as it looked better to me but low and behold the XB1 version is on the right.

I can't get my head around it.

I agree. The Xbox One version definitely looks better on the side by side. It will be interesting to see some multiplayer footage and see how they compare there. But cut scenes, xbox seems to come out on top there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Which video, I know one of the videos captured is messed up due to Digital Foundry not capturing correctly.

The Xbox colours are all wrong, the blacks are really harsh, like it's not using full range RGB.

PS4
    Fmfnl2q.jpg

XBOX
    WW64egU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

• Advertisement

AWKBBRY.gif

It's like they bumped up the contrast to make the details pop more, but it's a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

@ 4:03 power-lines look jaggy on XB1 compared to PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

DF Article
    Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.
    But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.
    Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.
    On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

I think the last one is important. Despite being outgunned in almost all of the metrics they use, DF thinks the XBO still holds up. Not ideal but certainly not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Taken from the guy who leaked the videos this morning.
    Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

Is it me or does everything look somewhat darker on the X1 version

It looks better here on the X1

Cga4zT.gif

But better on the PS4 here

ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

As I said, I can't get my head around it.

Also keep in mind, DF have admitted to screwing up their video captures, so the screens can't 100% be trusted anyway.
    The PS4 footage here looks great
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jackfrags?feature=csp-in-feed

Batesy wrote: »
    As I said, I can't get my head around it.

You prefer the stronger contrast.

PS4 version has a far more natural look to it.

The XO version still looks great in comparison, but prefer the PS4 feel. I don't think the difference between the two an issue though. The difference seems rather slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

A GIF comparison

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Strangely the PS4 version looks soft or blurry in comparison to the X1 version in places.

The passant and seams of the guys jacket on the left is a good example.

• Advertisement

You are better off linking to this, rather than embedding the image
    http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

BF4 looks great on the Xbox One :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Quick q: I'm thinking of getting an Xbox One for the kids for Christmas but we've just moved into a new house and the broadband's appalling, about 0.3MB. Would this make a One pretty pointless, and would we be as well to get a 360 instead?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks great in fairness. Surprised how little difference there is to be honest.

Never really bothered me too much though, as for FPS games I generally play on my pc, at 1440p :)

CatInABox wrote: »

Never really bothered me too much though, as for FPS games I generally play on my pc, at 1440p :)

We already have PS fanboys arguing with Xbox fanboys on here. The last thing we need is the almighty PC gamers getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Quick q: I'm thinking of getting an Xbox One for the kids for Christmas but we've just moved into a new house and the broadband's appalling, about 0.3MB. Would this make a One pretty pointless, and would we be as well to get a 360 instead?

Thanks in advance.

There is a 1.4GB update that you will need to install on day one, won't have any functionality without it. PS4 also has a 300mb day one patch but you can still play games without that.

If the kids don't know better I'd say a PS3 would almost be the best choice, huge catalogue of games already to play from, far more kid titles than the 360. Even a Wii would do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CatInABox wrote: »

I'm not, i wouldn't expect to see major differences in third party titles until we're about halfway through the next gen's lifecycle, I'll probably be picking up one of the consoles shortly before that timeframe. Zero chance of me being an early adopter as i dislike beta testing :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm not, i wouldn't expect to see major differences in third party titles until we're about halfway through the next gen's lifecycle, I'll probably be picking up one of the consoles shortly before that timeframe. Zero chance of me being an early adopter as i dislike beta testing :P

I'm a software tester by profession, so you think I'd hate beta testing in my spare time, but no. :)

True about the third party titles, but was mainly talking about the resolution and AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Arent those gifs and videos are sort of useless? Surely they dont take in to account that xbox one is 720p and ps4 900p?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've had a decent look at the footage on both. The Xbox definitely uses a higher contrast, almost to a fault at some points as it gets a bit dark. I do generally like stuff at a higher contrast though, I think it can make things look quite stylish when used right. I'm a graphics designer, and I myself always go with deep contrasts, but I know that it trades realism over style sometimes. The PS4 looks more realistic, in a sense, but maybe slightly more dull as a result. Depends on what you prefer.

The standout things is the aliasing. The ridges on the Xbox videos seem to make some scenes a little dated looking on some objects, unfortunately. This is where it's not really subjective anymore, you can see the ridges on some things. That's what I've always been impressed at when looking at my mates playing games on PC. Everything looks ridiculously smooth. Speaking for myself, aliasing is a big deal for making things look as real as possible. Saying that, it could be just the video, or even just the game, I dunno.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement