Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

LookingFor wrote: »
    It's confirmed by Infinity Ward that Call of Duty is 720p on XB1, 1080p on PS4.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqqa5o

What an embarrassment for Microsoft. What have they been doing?

Upscaled 1080p is gonna look worse than native 720p on the XB1, you still only have a million pixels but they will just be stretched out, the PS4 will have 1 million more pixels on screen with no stretching, we now have to see how both cope with the frame rate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Interesting timing. Seems like Microsoft wanted to lock down and announce Titanfall exclusivity before anyone was allowed to confirm this.

Still doesn't bother me. My respect for the COD has seriously gone down over the years, mainly because it's now so conservative. Resolution will get better when the first solely next gen based COD comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Paying big money to keep Titanfall away from the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Xenji wrote: »
    Upscaled 1080p is gonna look worse than native 720p on the XB1, you still only have a million pixels but they will just be stretched out, the PS4 will have 1 million more pixels on screen with no stretching, we now have to see how both cope with the frame rate.

Doesn't bother me. I accepted it a time ago, the PS4 was a better console for graphics, but it doesn't do much other than that. The XB1 has better features than the PS4-Dedicated servers been one of those features.

The XB1 has better first party line up of games and Titanfall is exclusive to XB1. So I'm sticking with my pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

You have to wonder what the bottleneck is with the Xbox and whether an improved set of drivers etc. from Microsoft can bring it inline with the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »

The native resolution of the TV matters.

If the game was 720p then if you had a full HD tv it would be the TV doing the scalling rather than the ONE, in this case the ONE does it and will likely do a better job than your TV.

The game is probably capable of a 720p which if you do have a 720 TV it will be better to use that but in the case of a 1080p TV it better to let the ONE do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You have to wonder what the bottleneck is with the Xbox and whether an improved set of drivers etc. from Microsoft can bring it inline with the PS4.

Basically, it's a load of ****.
    Really, that's all.

You'll probably see some gymnastics to bring up the speed of writing to the buffers and render targets to increase resolution, but I doubt you will close the gap on GDDR5 speeds. It just isn't good enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Peter Bright just came out with the best comment on the whole resolution thing:
    Resolution isn't a reason to pick a PS4 over an Xbox One. It's a reason to pick a PC over either. PC uber alles.

If you are going to have a conversation about resolution, PC is the 800 pound gorilla sulking in the room. Personally, I use PC for certain types of games, and consoles for certain types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

CatInABox wrote: »

If you are going to have a conversation about resolution, PC is the 800 pound gorilla sulking in the room. Personally, I use PC for certain types of games, and consoles for certain types of games.

Same as. The ones that cost €55 that I can get for €20 on pc :p

Can't believe how badly Microsoft have messed this up. Surely the first part of making a new console is to try and make it superior to the competition and then add whatever features you want to add to attract more customers. They spent too much time messing with features and trying to cut the cost.

Guess I'll be waiting till the summer then and see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I wouldn't be as dismissive as that, or as making a big deal of it as others. You have to look at the situation and take it on its merits. If a person if choosing to get a game on one system or another, then this stuff matters. If it is only out on one system, you'll have to like it or lump it. The resolution will be one of the factors in my primary console of choice for multiplats, so it's worth something in an analysis.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I wouldn't be as dismissive as that, or as making a big deal of it as others. You have to look at the situation and take it on its merits. If a person if choosing to get a game on one system or another, then this stuff matters. If it is only out on one system, you'll have to like it or lump it. The resolution will be one of the factors in my primary console of choice for multiplats, so it's worth something in an analysis.

Yeah, just thought it was funny myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Eh. Caring enough about performance or game's technical quality enough that you question paying more for less doesn't mean you have to equally be willing to shell out for a PC, or that you can't talk unless you're willing to do that. And lots of games just don't end up on PC or don't come until later. But I get that it's his point, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A vs B, and C always has to be raised. Hey what about D?!!!

0420-0904-0821-4112_u_s_army_soldier_maintaining_security_m.jpg

"Hey you know what's better than Battlefield on the PC? Signing up to the army. They pay YOU. The voice chat never fails, nothing lags and there's waaaaay more than 64 players. Resolution is incredible. Way better than your crappy PC."

Not sure why the PC card has to ALWAYS be played by someone. I don't think it's as clever to do this as they think. People are set on a console for very specific reasons. Comparing the Xbox One to the PS4 is completely valid for people who have decided it's a console they want. They're similar systems competing within weeks of each other.

"But you can d..."

I don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Grayditch wrote: »
    Way better than your crappy PC."

Not sure why the PC card has to ALWAYS be played by someone. I don't think it's as clever to do this as they think.

The PC fan boys are nearly as bad as the console ones these days (speaking as someone with over a 100 steam games on my account). We get it, a good spec PC will easily out perform consoles, no need to repeat it again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Peter Bright sounds remarkably like an idiotic PC fanboy.

I would love for him to be able to build me a PC for €399 that will offer me the level of fidelity that we're gonna see from the PS4 games in 4 or 5 years time. That's not going to happen, because a closed platform does have its advantages. Would games like The Last of Us and Gears Of War Judgement look or even run on PCs from 2005/2006 with 512Mb of RAM?

It's not like the console games are going to look like they're running on the Atari 2600. Graphics (on both systems) will be impressive and for me have reached a point where I'm happy with them, not sat up in my bed at night thinking how much better my life would be if I was experiencing a higher resolution than Joe down the road.

Of course, if one format is going to provided a consistently better experience (especially if it turns out to be the cheaper of the two), then why shouldn't people talk about it?

Yes, apologies for bringing the PC into this here. (And twice in a couple of days too)

I totally understand that consoles have some benefits that PCs will never have, and vice versa. Peter Bright is a press guy I respect, and I doubt that his true opinion on both consoles is boiled down into a single tweet.

To me, both consoles are going to be totally fine, and will be great additions to anyone's home in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think his point was in making your console choices, look beyond resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Microsoft said they couldn't show off the UI to the public because of licencing reasons supposedly?

Anyways a video has leaked online showing the UI and snap mode. I'm impressed and its an old build too. Where the rumours of snap problems and OS problems false?

Peter Bright sounds remarkably like an idiotic PC fanboy.

I would love for him to be able to build me a PC for €399 that will offer me the level of fidelity that we're gonna see from the PS4 games in 4 or 5 years time. That's not going to happen, because a closed platform does have its advantages. Would games like The Last of Us and Gears Of War Judgement look or even run on PCs from 2005/2006 with 512Mb of RAM?

It's not like the console games are going to look like they're running on the Atari 2600. Graphics (on both systems) will be impressive and for me have reached a point where I'm happy with them, not sat up in my bed at night thinking how much better my life would be if I was experiencing a higher resolution than Joe down the road.

Of course, if one format is going to provided a consistently better experience (especially if it turns out to be the cheaper of the two), then why shouldn't people talk about it?

Well, his main bailiwick is talking about Microsoft products, so PC is probably pretty high up on his list. I find him extremely honest about the products that he reviews as well, but that that's just my opinion of his opinions.

He can't create a PC like that, because no-one can. It's one of the undeniable benefits of consoles.

Current gen graphics are good enough for me, so every improvement at this stage is just more of a bonus to me. I'd even prefer if developers spent more time crushing bugs and providing polish than bumping the graphics up, as Assassins Creed 3 was so unpolished and buggy that it almost made me quit it.

I suppose then, to bring it back to a debate about the merits of the PS4 and Xbox One, it would depend on your definition of "better". I personally believe that over the life of the consoles, the Xbox has more potential for innovation. It will always be second best graphically, but the gap between the two will not be as bad as COD:Ghosts once it both are more mature.

But what about talking resolution between two consoles? Why is that not valid, because PC can deliver better resolutions or framerates? That annoys me. If I put my 400 quid into building a PC, I'm going to get a lame PC. Even if I'm going to get a PC that can match Xbox or PS4 for 4-500 quid I'm pretty sure none of my friends play the games I do on PC. For the ones I know, I'm fairly sure it's all Starcraft and W.O.W, which I'm not into. What if I'm more of a Killzone or Dead Rising 3 guy, and console resolution still matters to me?

The resolution thing is a big deal to some people. The exclusives to others, and the controllers, to some. Why are PC people reading about consoles, and getting annoyed at the points raised, anyway, I wonder? (Not specifically this guy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Microsoft said they couldn't show off the UI to the public because of licencing reasons supposedly?

Anyways a video has leaked online showing the UI and snap mode. I'm impressed and its an old build too. Where the rumours of snap problems and OS problems false?

wow very impressed, specially for an old build :P can't wait to get me hands on it :D just to mess around with all the features see what happens :P I'm useless when it comes to stuff like that , reason I still have a "blockia"phone :D

Well, I'd presume that they'd need a license to transmit any tv/movies that are shown in the video. One of the downsides with being a large company with money is that other large companies with money like taking money off you.

First time we've seen how to snap without kinect. It's interesting, but I'd still love a tour by someone that knows what they are doing :)

I'd say that there's some truth in the rumours out there, but probably not the "disaster" that's reported.

The resolution thing is a big deal to some people. The exclusives to others, and the controllers, to some. Why are PC people reading about consoles, and getting annoyed at the points raised, anyway, I wonder? (Not specifically this guy).

They feel left out?

Despite being the gaming master race, PC gamers are usually more shaft than consoles gamers.

Except on price, although that's changing too, the price of total war: rome 2 was utterly shocking on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Well, his main bailiwick is talking about Microsoft products, so PC is probably pretty high up on his list. I find him extremely honest about the products that he reviews as well, but that that's just my opinion of his opinions.

He can't create a PC like that, because no-one can. It's one of the undeniable benefits of consoles.

Current gen graphics are good enough for me, so every improvement at this stage is just more of a bonus to me. I'd even prefer if developers spent more time crushing bugs and providing polish than bumping the graphics up, as Assassins Creed 3 was so unpolished and buggy that it almost made me quit it.

I suppose then, to bring it back to a debate about the merits of the PS4 and Xbox One, it would depend on your definition of "better". I personally believe that over the life of the consoles, the Xbox has more potential for innovation. It will always be second best graphically, but the gap between the two will not be as bad as COD:Ghosts once it both are more mature.

Fair enough, I have no idea who the guy is. Although if he's an industry professional, him flapping about saying "PCs have better resolution" makes him sound like he's arguing in the school yard.

I'm going for PS4 as I prefer Sony's exclusives, their apparent commitment to indies, on paper the console is more powerful (and the little evidence out there so far suggests it's more powerful in real life too), I prefer symmetrical sticks (we do exist!), potential cross-buy initiative with the Vita, and even if everything else was on equal footing, it'll cost me 100 quid less to buy one. And if all things were even (cost, performance, titles being released, etc.), Microsoft had displayed some shockingly anti-consumer stances with the X1 originally (and were riding with the line "this is how it is, ye better get used to it" for some time) and are not appealing to me as a gamer as much as Sony (I don't care for TV or social features, I don't care for "exclusive generic pew-pew game" number 14, and I straight up prefer Japanese games most of the time).

I will still look at the X1 with interest though, because at the end of the day, I'm a gamer and don't care whose name is printed on the box (I do however, have finite free time and money, so have to go with the one that ticks the most of my boxes).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think it was only Forza that was having a issue with Snap, it was causing it to crash when used in conjunction with it, I would say they more than likely have it fixed at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Just because someone games on PC doesn't mean they don't own a console too and want to buy next gen. I've had a console since atari and intend on getting an Xbox One while also gaming on PC. There's games I'd hate to miss out on on PC and also on console. It would be different if people were coming in blatantly trolling the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

But what about talking resolution between two consoles? Why is that not valid, because PC can deliver better resolutions or framerates? That annoys me. If I put my 400 quid into building a PC, I'm going to get a lame PC. Even if I'm going to get a PC that can match Xbox or PS4 for 4-500 quid I'm pretty sure none of my friends play the games I do on PC. For the ones I know, I'm fairly sure it's all Starcraft and W.O.W, which I'm not into. What if I'm more of a Killzone or Dead Rising 3 guy, and console resolution still matters to me?

I have some questions for you.

1. Do you currently own a PS3 or Xbox360?

2. If you own both current gens, which one do you play most?

3. Of the next gen consoles, which one are you buying?

If anyone answers PS3 or both, PS3, and PS4, and they're posting more on the Xbox One megathread than the PS4 one, they're just trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Quite an enjoyable thread up to 2 pages ago, well played

Just because someone games on PC doesn't mean they don't own a console too and want to buy next gen. I've had a console since atari and intend on getting an Xbox One while also gaming on PC. There's games I'd hate to miss out on on PC and also on console. It would be different if people were coming in blatantly trolling the thread.

Eh, my question didn't stop with "Why are PC people reading about consoles?" I asked "Why are PC people reading about consoles, and getting annoyed at the points raised, anyway, I wonder?" Specifically aimed at people who are complaining about points raised between two consoles and using the PC as a yardstick.
    I have some questions for you.

1. Do you currently own a PS3 or Xbox360? Both

2. If you own both current gens, which one do you play most? PS3

3. Of the next gen consoles, which one are you buying? PS4, then XBOX.

If anyone answers PS3 or both, PS3, and PS4, and they're posting more on the Xbox One megathread than the PS4 one, they're just trolls.
    Ha, ok?

What exactly did you think I was doing when I was saying PC isn't an answer when decided on/comparing consoles, here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh I think Peter Bright has an excellent point. For years, decades even, console gamers have looked down on PCs because PC gamers have to worry about things like resolution, anti aliasing, occlusion etc. The point of consoles is that you just turn it on and it works. All you should really worry about on a console (graphically at least) is if it looks crap, ok or amazing.
    If you want to want to worry about resolution or any of the technical stuff, the you really should be looking at PCs instead.

"Hey you know what's better than Battlefield on the PC? Signing up to the army. They pay YOU. The voice chat never fails, nothing lags and there's waaaaay more than 64 players. Resolution is incredible. Way better than your crappy PC."

Yeah, but the respawning is totally borked :

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement