Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

stevenmu wrote: »
    If you want to want to worry about resolution or any of the technical stuff, the you really should be looking at PCs instead.
    What about processing power? Overheating prevention. Sure the list never ends if PC comes into the equation. Sure you couldn't compare consoles at all if the PC is involved, but a lot of people want to see comparisons.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Yeah, but the respawning is totally borked :

I thought about that one, but I'd gone on too long as it was ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I have a gaming PC, an Xbox and a PS3. The last few games I've played have been:

Last of Us - PS3
    GTA V - Xbox
    Ass Creed IV - Xbox
    Batman Origins - PC

All games were played on my 40" 1080p TV. Not once did I give fúck about resolution - only textures, shading, animations and lip-sync - the stuff that actually makes a game look nice or real.

All this obsession of the technical capabilities of any format will soon be forgotten when people get back to playing games rather than talking about them. Xbox fans will buy Xbox, PS fans will buy PS, PC gamers will continue to rule the gaming world with a smug smirk on their faces conveniently ignoring the hole in their bank account created by upgrades while claiming 'but I make it back with the price of games!'.

Even though I've held off buying a next-gen console for now I simply cannot wait for them to be released so all this Digital Foundary bollox can be put to bed. I had no idea just how many electronical engineers were in Ireland. We probably have enough to make a silicon valley of our own at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Even though I've held off buying a next-gen console for now I simply cannot wait for them to be released so all this Digital Foundary bollox can be put to bed. I had no idea just how many electronical engineers were in Ireland. We probably have enough to make a silicon valley of our own at this stage.

Every forum you read is the same, people talking as if they themselves invented the silicon process. Luckily we don't have long to wait until the launch of these new consoles.

It was the same when the 360 and PS3 were announced, after a year no one gave a crap about what each console was doing.

Buy the one that you want, don't buy the one you don't want, it really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

As someone that has a 360 ( and loves it) and has no intention of getting a PS4, I will stay with the XBOX and hopefully pick up a ONE sometime next year if they are cheaper.

But I am disgusted that its only 720p native resolution. Never mind what the PC and PS4 can output, its 2013 for fecks sake, 720p for a 'next-gen' console is a joke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well lads, the console war is over, GQ magazine has weighed in with the first review of both consoles.

PS4 got 7/10 for it's good looks and low price, but fell down with a lack of killer games.

Xbox One got 8/10 for it's "cloud processing" and the fact that it is a "complete media device".

Laughable, I know. Sometimes I despair at the gaming press, but then something like this comes along and I realise that other types of press are far, far, far worse.

I wonder will this sort of thing play out in the rest of the mainstream media? Xbox One getting good reviews over the parts of it that gamers abhor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CatInABox wrote: »
    I wonder will this sort of thing play out in the rest of the mainstream media? Xbox One getting good reviews over the parts of it that gamers abhor.

I don't get why gamers would abhor the ability to stream movies, songs etc from your PC to the xbox one. Or the media capabilities in general.

Yes, i was annoyed at how much MS concentrated on these features, but they are features I am very happy to have. I certainly can't understand why anyone would 'abhor' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well lads, the console war is over, GQ magazine has weighed in with the first review of both consoles.

PS4 got 7/10 for it's good looks and low price, but fell down with a lack of killer games.

Xbox One got 8/10 for it's "cloud processing" and the fact that it is a "complete media device".

Laughable, I know. Sometimes I despair at the gaming press, but then something like this comes along and I realise that other types of press are far, far, far worse.

Surprised GQ did not just judge them on how they look and criticize them for both playing it safe and going with black, while not being able to fit in the average manbag and lacking tasteful bling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I don't get why gamers would abhor the ability to stream movies, songs etc from your PC to the xbox one. Or the media capabilities in general.

Yes, i was annoyed at how much MS concentrated on these features, but they are features I am very happy to have. I certainly can't understand why anyone would 'abhor' them.

it partially because 90% of what they showed would only be applicable to the US

it was the same day as they announced they're online DRM

the made it look like a media box with gaming functionality

and what made it worse was the did it with a sense of smugness and were forced to eat **** for it

no gamer is going to complain about media features but the shouldnt be the focal point of a games console

Also fanboys be fanboys. its comical to see sony being seen as some sort of second coming and people defending the lack of media streaming on the ps4 despite it being obvious sony are looking to push their own streaming service

Speaking of what will be just applicable to the US, it is a bit strange that we have heard nothing about the apps that will be appearing on the EU version, they were quite open about the US version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »
    Speaking of what will be just applicable to the US, it is a bit strange that we have heard nothing about the apps that will be appearing on the EU version, they were quite open about the US version.

Yes, I do find that a bit strange to be honest. There's a chance Major Nelson will be at the event I'm going to later, so will see if I can get anything out of him.

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    it partially because 90% of what they showed would only be applicable to the US

it was the same day as they announced they're online DRM

the made it look like a media box with gaming functionality

and what made it worse was the did it with a sense of smugness and were forced to eat **** for it

no gamer is going to complain about media features but the shouldnt be the focal point of a games console

Also fanboys be fanboys. its comical to see sony being seen as some sort of second coming and people defending the lack of media streaming on the ps4 despite it being obvious sony are looking to push their own streaming service

Indeed - as I said I can understand annoyance about the way MS went about things.

I can't understand at all that gamers either do or should abhor the media centre capabilities, as CatInABox states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm sure it will take time for apps to be released outside the States. It will follow the formula of lots of things that have been said about PS4/One in that they can be described as "not available at launch".

Albert Penello on it from last month
    When I asked how Microsoft can sell gamers a particular vision of its new system that in many cases won't reflect the reality of what's delivered – i.e. some markets won't have voice recognition at launch, a heap of countries won't have full TV functionality, there will be differences in other services (apps etc) at launch, he had this to say.

“I think even in the U.S., there's going to be a lot of stuff that was on 360 that isn't going to be on Xbox One for a while. Y'know, it's an interesting dynamic that you find yourself in with console launches, but particularly when you're coming from a super mature platform... in the old days of console transitions, the expectation of what would be moving to the next console was basically isolated to games. And if you think about all the stuff we've done with Xbox 360 and how much it's different in the last ten years, you basically have ten years of innovation, ten years of experiences, and then, trying to take that and build an entirely new platform, with new hardware and a new software architecture.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/20/tgs-microsoft-on-its-vision-for-xbox-one

Indeed - as I said I can understand annoyance about the way MS went about things.

I can't understand at all that gamers either do or should abhor the media centre capabilities, as CatInABox states.

Yes, I was more referring to the huge uproar at the Xbox One reveal rather than the media centre capabilities itself.

It seems I can't post these days without causing either confusion or controversy, perhaps I should cryo-freeze myself until both consoles are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    As someone that has a 360 ( and loves it) and has no intention of getting a PS4, I will stay with the XBOX and hopefully pick up a ONE sometime next year if they are cheaper.

But I am disgusted that its only 720p native resolution. Never mind what the PC and PS4 can output, its 2013 for fecks sake, 720p for a 'next-gen' console is a joke.
    The XB1 can do 1080p native at 60fps as we will see with Forza at launch.

Microsoft have said its a developers decision about the resolution they use. My guess is the PS4 SDK was slightly more efficient to work on so they got 1080p at launch for BF4 and COD. The games studios were under huge pressure to be ready for launch, so they had to cut a few corners.

Many games on next gen consoles won't be released until March and some games have been delayed until March as well. This will more than likely give studios more time to ensure high quality.

Microsoft have said its a developers decision about the resolution they use. My guess is the PS4 SDK was slightly more efficient to work on so they got 1080p at launch for BF4 and COD. The games studios were under huge pressure to be ready for launch, so they had to cut a few corners.

Many games on next gen consoles won't be released until March and some games have been delayed until March as well. This will more than likely give studios more time to ensure high quality.

Agreed, although Titanfall has been delayed until March and that was supposed to be 720p. I wonder have the delayed it to optimize the game to run at 900p or even 1080p. I cant see it being 1080p though, the framerate would suffer too much.

See here for an idea of 1080p vs 900p upscaled to 1080.

http://wccftech.com/difference-polygon-count-resolution-xbox-one/

logik wrote: »
    Agreed, although Titanfall has been delayed until March and that was supposed to be 720p. I wonder have the delayed it to optimize the game to run at 900p or even 1080p. I cant see it being 1080p though, the framerate would suffer too much.

That all looks fine on a computer monitor, but the bigger your TV screen is, the more stretching occurs when it gets up scaled, it might not look that bad on a 32", but when you start going up to 40" screens it will look pretty bad and get worse the bigger the screen.

They should keep the native 900p or stick with native 720p, the games will look better that way, as it is how they were meant to be outputted, every time you upscale something you will lose quality, some things may be very noticeable, while others may not be as noticeable.

That all looks fine on a computer monitor, but the bigger your TV screen is, the more stretching occurs when it gets up scaled, it might not look that bad on a 32", but when you start going up to 40" screens it will look pretty bad and get worse the bigger the screen.

They should keep the native 900p or stick with native 720p, the games will look better that way, as it is how they were meant to be outputted, every time you upscale something you will lose quality, some things may be very noticeable, while others may not be as noticeable.

Yes, well it is up to the developers. They can choose 720p, 900p or 1080p depending on what type of game it is.

It is a bit strange, CoD has been delayed in the US for the X1, it was meant to come out on the 5th of Nov along with all other platforms including the PS4, it is not coming out now till the 15th of Nov, it might be a stock shortage though :confused:

https://twitter.com/Thatgameshop/status/395879581535567873

Yes, I was more referring to the huge uproar at the Xbox One reveal rather than the media centre capabilities itself.

It seems I can't post these days without causing either confusion or controversy, perhaps I should cryo-freeze myself until both consoles are out.

Cool, tell them my vote is for the United Atheist Alliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

It is a bit strange, CoD has been delayed in the US for the X1, it was meant to come out on the 5th of Nov along with all other platforms including the PS4, it is not coming out now till the 15th of Nov, it might be a stock shortage though :confused:

I don't get why they would need to release it so early anyway, who needs to buy a game over 2 weeks before the console it plays on launches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

logik wrote: »

Wasn't TitanFall always due Spring 2014, I don't think it was delayed.

dor83 wrote: »
    I don't get why they would need to release it so early anyway, who needs to buy a game over 2 weeks before the console it plays on launches?

Yeah this is a new thing, quite a few people have a DS4 already and Knack, it is probably a marketing ploy, get the games on the shelf and you have more brand visibility in a store.

Wasn't TitanFall always due Spring 2014, I don't think it was delayed.

It never had a set release date, it was always said it would be released in the launch window which is the end of March.

This is the deal Respawn has with EA
    Under the terms of its deal with Respawn, EA will share revenues and profits generated by Titanfall while the independent developer retains intellectual property rights. Development of the game and the founding of the studio has required a substantial financial investment, and while it is the Xbox One version of Titanfall that is generating headlines, the bulk of the money made from the game will, Microsoft expects, come from sales of the Xbox 360 version, which could hit the 10 million mark.

Yeah this is a new thing, quite a few people have a DS4 already and Knack, it is probably a marketing ploy, get the games on the shelf and you have more brand visibility in a store.
    I just don't get why anyone would want to buy something that they can't use for weeks, why not just pre-order the stuff and pick it up with the console? I can see a few people buying the games and then being disappointed when they can't get a console on launch.

dor83 wrote: »
    I just don't get why anyone would want to buy something that they can't use for weeks, why not just pre-order the stuff and pick it up with the console? I can see a few people buying the games and then being disappointed when they can't get a console on launch.

I thought that I read somewhere that this was something that the retailers themselves requested, so that people could buy accessories and games before the launch day, and then wouldn't be clogging up the shop with the rest of the people queueing.

I thought that I read somewhere that this was something that the retailers themselves requested, so that people could buy accessories and games before the launch day, and then wouldn't be clogging up the shop with the rest of the people queueing.
    If that is the case then I would say it is a ploy to get people to buy things separately and avoid having bundles on offer, I know there wouldn't be much of a saving with store bundles but there would be a little, I remember getting a bundle on 360 launch in Gamestop and it saved me about €20 on buying everything separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Activision have stated that there is no delay for the release of Call of Duty GHOSTS and that they are good to go for November 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to do some upscaling for 1080p displays though unless you show borders. If not through hardware, then the display itself will do it, probably with even worse quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What resolution it "can" do is irrelevant when discussing completely different games. The resolution and framerate are directly related to the complexity of what is being rendered or being calculated during a render pass.

In the future, we'll see that more optimisations are made which will allow higher resolutions for the same games, but most of these will apply to both consoles anyway. Any specific tricks with regards to ESRAM will mostly be addressing the shortcomings of DDR3, but there will still be a gap.

This gap really isn't important though unless you buy exclusively multiplatform games and care more about the other features the console has. It does and will continue to exist though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement