Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Since you can play while you download, no it doesn't look like it this time around.
    Have MS released any details on how this works?
    Surely your going to need a massive chunk of the game for it to be playable, how do you start playing Forza without the full game engine, most of the cars and tracks or BF4 online without all the maps, guns & vehicles?

The same goes for being able to log onto a friends console and play your games there, unless there's a fiber connection between the two hows that going to work without taking hours.

Actually that gets me thinking, will I be able to borrow a disc copy of a game, install it on my X1 and then buy a "digital" license off Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS3 has the Last of Us, you could play that game while it downloaded. Once it had about 10% downloaded you could launch the game and play away while the rest downloaded. You can do the same on some PC games, it's not rocket science to do. Just some clever file management and planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Seriously considering picking up a new Xbox 360, replacing my launch 360 and holding off on the next gen for a good few months until the dust settles. Weirdly at this point in time, the thought of the kinect permanently having to live just in front of the tv pisses me off more than the power difference and price. I can't hide it and I just don't want the ugly ****ing thing sitting there like a giant barnacle.
    Kinect doesn't have to live in front of the tv. It can be plugged out and left where ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I don't mind the downloading, that can be done over night but the installing is just stupid, you can't use the ps3 while it's happening. I wouldn't touch a ps4 until I see how it manages multitasking. The xbox is a joy to use in comparison. There's no waiting around.
    It's only at 48% now and was at 10% on my original post. I might have been a bit optimistic with my ready by lunchtime.

The ps store subscription is a great service though, Microsoft could learn a trick there.

Have you pressed "download in background"? Anytime you press that it does be mad slow.

I would imagine the play while you download only applies to single player stuff maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The PS3 has the Last of Us, you could play that game while it downloaded. Once it had about 10% downloaded you could launch the game and play away while the rest downloaded. You can do the same on some PC games, it's not rocket science to do. Just some clever file management and planning.
    Is that single player only though?
    I can see how they could hold off large chunks of a campaign but a multiplayer or car racing title would need nearly everything upfront, I don't think it will be as useful a feature as MS are making it out to be is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well for car racing you don't need all of it at the start either. In Forza 4 there was a second optional install disc. You didn't need it until you unlocked the later tracks and more expensive cars you can't afford at the start. For online games it just downloads the map you want to play at the time. For Uncharted 3 you can pick to download the single play or multiplayer part of the game first. There are a ton of ways of makeing this feature work very well.

With free to play and games on demand models becoming more and more popular and with bb speeds generally improving around the world this looks like the way things are going ultimately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Dedicated servers will only be available on the PS4, if the gaming developer provides them.

Sony will not and hasn't made the required investment to do this any time soon. Most games on the PS4 will be player hosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dedicated servers will only be available on the PS4, if the gaming developer provides them.

Sony will not and hasn't made the required investment to do this any time soon. Most games on the PS4 will be player hosted.

Really, so why will CoD, BF4 and Killzone SF be using dedicated servers, you can say the same thing as regards the X1, BF4 will not even be using Microsofts Xbox Live Compute when it comes out.

Also Sony has pumped large amounts of money into Gaikai and quietly signed a massive deal with Rackspace for use of cloud for dedicated servers.

PS4 talk creeping back into the thread.............

• Advertisement

PS4 talk creeping back into the thread.............

It creeps back when a person makes a comment that is factually untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xenji wrote: »
    Really, so why will CoD, BF4 and Killzone SF be using dedicated servers, you can say the same thing as regards the X1, BF4 will not even be using Microsofts Xbox Live Compute when it comes out.

Also Sony has pumped large amounts of money into Gaikai and quietly signed a massive deal with Rackspace for use of cloud for dedicated servers.

In the end It will come down to the quality of servers and how well they are managed.

And of course, most of all, how secure they are.

In the end It will come down to the quality of servers and how well they are managed.

And of course, most of all, how secure they are.

Your right with the security of them, with all the talk about peoples privacy and with the Kinect making US news shows, any sort of data hacking will make news headlines around the world.

Xenji wrote: »
    Your right with the security of them, with all the talk about peoples privacy and with the Kinect making US news shows, any sort of data hacking will make news headlines around the world.
    I was focusing more on the gaming end, neither platform wants another PSN Networkgate scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I was focusing more on the gaming end, neither platform wants another PSN Networkgate scandal.

I've heard many stories of xbox live being hacked and people's cc info being taken. It seems anything can be hacked these days with enough effort, so nobody can afford to take the risk security-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I've heard many stories of xbox live being hacked and people's cc info being taken. It seems anything can be hacked these days with enough effort, so nobody can afford to take the risk security-wise.

I haven't heard any of these stories about Xbox Live being hacked and people info being stolen.

But I have heard of Playstations network being hacked and 77 million peoples info being stolen which resulted in PSN being down for 24 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Any link for the above?

Xbox live wasn't hacked, I am aware that people's logins information was obtained by certain phishing websites and an EA games exploit Many people lost MS points, etc. I have never heard of people's CC details being stolen, even I cannot see my CC details on my 360 console.

I am just hoping that a service wide attack never happens again on both next gen platforms like PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You are right that people should be security conscious as nothing is hack proof, but the type of stories I heard of people on Xbox getting 'hacked' was of people giving their gamertag passwords to people to get them to unlock achievements. The type of story I was hearing was of a sort of someone offers to unlock achievements for microsoft points. That kind of thing, rather than someone having their account hacked. Honestly, your account is only as secure as your email address. This is a different type of concern than having a global Live userbase have their passwords obtained at once.

I haven't heard any of these stories about Xbox Live being hacked and people info being stolen.

But I have heard of Playstations network being hacked and 77 million peoples info being stolen which resulted in PSN being down for 24 days.

I've heard of a few over the years. My cousin had his xbox account hacked and a flight to LA charged to his cc. He was lucky he had nowhere near that amount in it :P
    http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360/3045-20/forums/whos-had-their-xbox-live-account-hacked-515313/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4125886/microsoft-confirms-high-profile-employee-xbox-live-accounts-hacked

• Advertisement

I've heard of a few over the years. My cousin had his xbox account hacked and a flight to LA charged to his cc. He was lucky he had nowhere near that amount in it :P
    http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360/3045-20/forums/whos-had-their-xbox-live-account-hacked-515313/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4125886/microsoft-confirms-high-profile-employee-xbox-live-accounts-hacked

Your cousin? You sure it wasn't Shoveltooth's brother?

I think maybe you mean debit card and not credit card if he didn't have "that amount in it"

It's also worth pointing out you posted a link to a forum thread.

Your cousin? You sure it wasn't Shoveltooth's brother?

I think maybe you mean debit card and not credit card if he didn't have "that amount in it"

It's also worth pointing out you posted a link to a forum thread.

You're right, it was a visa debit.

I don't know what a shoveltooth is, but it was definitely my cousin and the only he knows about hacking is never to give your password and info away out of common sense, but he still got his card info stolen.

I linked to a forum because it's happened to people and they're discussing what happened there, like someone could here. I also linked a story of more 'high profile' accounts being hacked.

How does your cousin know his CC card details were obtained through his xbox profile?

You can't take CC details from an Xbox, if you were to hack into my xbox account now you would only see the last 4 digits of my card, that's it. I have never heard of anyone's CC details stolen. I have heard of people who's login details were obtained through fake websites, that was then used to purchase games on xbox live and then transfer them to another xbox console.

Just to be clear we are talking about a service wide hack that would bring down either next gen console like the PSN network hack outage. Not isolated events and smaller scale attacks.

You can't take CC details from an Xbox, if you were to hack into my xbox account now you would only see the last 4 digits of my card, that's it. I have never heard of anyone's CC details stolen. I have heard of people who's login details were obtained through fake websites, that was the then used to purchase games on xbox live and then transfer them to another xbox console.

Just to be clear we are talking about a service wide hack that would bring down either next gen console like the PSN network hack outage. Not isolated events and smaller scale attacks.

But his cousin had his account hacked and a flight to LA booked with his credit card.

I linked to a forum because it's happened to people and they're discussing what happened there, like someone could here. I also linked a story of more 'high profile' accounts being hacked.

Here is a link to a forum, so everything in it must be true.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

How does your cousin know his CC card details were obtained through his xbox profile?

You can't take CC details from an Xbox, if you were to hack into my xbox account now you would only see the last 4 digits of my card, that's it. I have never heard of anyone's CC details stolen. I have heard of people who's login details were obtained through fake websites, that was then used to purchase games on xbox live and then transfer them to another xbox console.

At the time he had two cards. His first was just a debit and was used only with his account and the second was a cc he hadn't used with it but used for everything else. It was the debit card that got charged. I don't know anything about what you see but he sorted it out with the card company and MS and everything was grand. He said MS were helpful.

Hacking is hacking. It's still people's info getting taken. I'd be fairly pissed off if my account was hacked even if the network stayed up. I was on PSN when it was hacked and I was pissed off, even if it didn't go down and I was hacked I wouldn't say it was secure just because there wasn't an outage.

Here is a link to a forum, so everything in it must be true.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59258336

So these people are talking nonsense too? You know what I mean. Forums are a way of discussing everything, problems included. Sure I've read a load of different forums when trying to figure out what went wrong with my phone. Should I dismiss all of that as fiction just because it's on a forum? There's no way of taking everything on the internet as truth, but a lot of the time it's just everyday people discussing something like that that went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yes, and as a result, PSN is probably the safest network now for online console gaming.

This whole PS vs Xbox is ridiculous, for every PSN outage there is a 33% failure rate on Xbox. Each console has had it's ups and downs, and the new ones will be exactly the same. You should be basing your choice on the games available on each platform, and the future games.

Also, I seen mention of people buying a new Xbox 360 while they wait a while for the new consoles, honestly, if you don't have a PS3, get one. Games like Uncharted and the Last of Us are worth it. Get yourself a PS+ sub and you will be well sorted for a year.

Benzino wrote: »
    You should be basing your choice on the games available on each platform, and the future games.

Yes I agree with this. Titanfall will be deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yes I agree with this. Titanfall will be deadly.

We'll see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement