Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Blazer wrote: »
    I've a very high suspicion that we're see a few revisions of the XB1 down the line with upgrade graphics chips etc and possibly DDR5 as well.AUSPWMIASODM01

I don't think we could see this happening, MS would end up with a split user-base then and games wouldn't work on the older type consoles without ddr5 ram. I don't think it would be that easy to just swap out ram without having to make other hardware mods.

I do wish however that console makers would allow room for some kind of upgrade, just like the N64 did years ago where you could purchase a memory module, doubling the avaiable memory for newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They could easily do it especially as ram prices/cpu prices get cheaper and smaller. Since its an x86 platform no changes would be required to game developing etc especially since the PS4 is already using the faster ram and hence no surprises in store for when the XB1 moved to it.
    If anything upgrading the consoles just got a whole pile easier but Sony only allow limited upgrade of the Hard Drive and MS allow none..however they'll release 1TB SKUs next year no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I got 2 tickets for that xbox tour have 0 intention of ever buying the console. I do however want to check out a new Killer instinct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Footage of COD:G on XBO

It is now clear why it is under embargo...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Otacon wrote: »

Yeah, clear why all XBO reviews are embargoed until next week, based on that YouTube video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Blocked at work, can't see the vid. Is it bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Think I will be switched my pre-order for Ghosts over to the PS4 now. Pretty disappointing, as I originally went for the Xbox One version due to the dlc coming there first. Looks like it will be just Dead Rising on Xbox One for me on launch, and maybe some downloadable gamed if they turn out to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

syboit wrote: »
    I don't think we could see this happening, MS would end up with a split user-base then and games wouldn't work on the older type consoles without ddr5 ram. I don't think it would be that easy to just swap out ram without having to make other hardware mods.

I do wish however that console makers would allow room for some kind of upgrade, just like the N64 did years ago where you could purchase a memory module, doubling the avaiable memory for newer games.

That would never work for a console. You cannot allow upgrades of hardware mid gen. Reason being that, the developers can NEVER assume everyone has bought the same upgrades and so the developer has to program and develop ALL games for the entry level system meaning you can slap on enough upgrades to get you to Mars but in relality the upgrades would not be used as the developer has to develop for the slower system.

The only changes we are going to see with the XBO are OS related. They can move around resource allocation using OS updates etc and evolve the console that way. All upgrades would be software based and never hardware based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Blocked at work, can't see the vid. Is it bad?

Can't really judge the graphic quality based on a youtube video, but there were lots of FPS drops and I don't think that's the fault of youtube.

0:45 for point of reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Before I even took in how poo it looks, graphically, I noticed that someone using a sniper rifle like it was the golden gun from Goldeneye. Remembered why I hate COD, reason 34587.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Yeah, clear why all XBO reviews are embargoed until next week, based on that YouTube video.

I don't really play much CoD so can't really compare - what's wrong with the video?

wes wrote: »
    Think I will be switched my pre-order for Ghosts over to the PS4 now.

Yeah, but I don't think the game is going to look good on PS4, either. Those are not next gen graphics. If that's what you're talking about, maybe. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

is that real? I thought it's fake video, looks awful ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, but I don't think the game is going to look good on PS4, either. Those are not next gen graphics. If that's what you're talking about, maybe. I think.

True enough, but apparently it will look better than Xbox One and its starting to look like most of the friends I would play on-line with, maybe jumping to PS4 as well.

Also, I am sure that Dead Rising 3 will keep me plenty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Newaglish wrote: »
    I don't really play much CoD so can't really compare - what's wrong with the video?

i can't tell either really.

It looks a bit textureless to me, graphics I would expect from the 360 easily - but I don't know how that differs to the PS4 version, the multiplayer could look the same on that. There is possibly some FPS issues, but that could be youtube or the recording rather than the game itself.

My comment was cause all xbo reviews are embargoed - so claiming that video shows why the CoD one is embargoed really makes no sense.

wes wrote: »
    True enough, but apparently it will look better than Xbox One and its starting to look like most of the friends I would play on-line with, maybe jumping to PS4 as well.

Also, I am sure that Dead Rising 3 will keep me plenty busy.

Ah yeah, sure with both consoles you've the best options :)

Please stop with the comments on COD. See this article from IGN comparing Current Gen Ghosts with Next Gen Ghosts. They are not a million miles apart. COD are using an aged game engine that was dead years ago when you compare it to the likes of Frostbite 3 and even Frostbite 2. You know COD has had it when Current Gen nearly looks as good as 1080p Next Gen.

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-current-gen-vs-next-gen

logik wrote: »
    Please stop with the comments on COD. See this article from IGN comparing Current Gen Ghosts with Next Gen Ghosts. They are not a million miles apart. COD are using an aged game engine that was dead years ago when you compare it to the likes of Frostbite 3 and even Frostbite 2. You know COD has had it when Current Gen nearly looks as good as 1080p Next Gen.

But then you went on to talk about COD ;)

But then you went on to talk about COD ;)

Smartarse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

198321 wrote: »

It is real, it is from Infinity Ward according to a lot of people on Neogaf. I know Youtube videos do not make the best comparisons due to the compression and all of that, but that does not look next gen, supposedly the PC version of CoD does not look that great either so I am chalking this up to IF and not the X1, but how could they not get that to work at 1080p.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I am chalking this up to IF and not the X1, but how could they not get that to work at 1080p.

Sure, why bother :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sure, why bother :pac:

True, it sells by the bucket load each year, despite being roughly the same game each release, so looks probably don't come into it either.

Is COD the only game that is reported to be running at 1080p on the PS4 and 720p on X1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

logik wrote: »

Good video. There isn't that much of difference between current and next gen. Thats COD unfortunately, they played it safe for so long and didn't innovate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    True, it sells by the bucket load each year, despite being roughly the same game each release, so looks probably don't come into it either.

Is COD the only game that is reported to be running at 1080p on the PS4 and 720p on X1?

So far it is, BF4 will be 900p on the PS4 and 720p on the X1, all other PS4 games will be 1080p as regards ones we know about, off the top of my head Forza, UFC and NBA 2k14 will all be 1080p on the X1.

I think we just need to give developers time. As it with all new hardware releases, it takes time to fine tune games. I believe we will see XBO running 1080p on a large number of games once developers get to grips with it. And of course once Microsoft release revised OS updates to reallocate resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

198321 wrote: »

I thought towards the end of the video it seemed to be better. But as people say its hard to tell when looking at compressed youtube video's, and god only know what they used to capture it in the first place. I'd be more interested to know what frame rate it was running it, I know its 60fps for single player, just hoping the multiplayer doesn't change that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

syboit wrote: »

Blazer wrote: »
    They could easily do it especially as ram prices/cpu prices get cheaper and smaller. Since its an x86 platform no changes would be required to game developing etc especially since the PS4 is already using the faster ram and hence no surprises in store for when the XB1 moved to it.
    If anything upgrading the consoles just got a whole pile easier but Sony only allow limited upgrade of the Hard Drive and MS allow none..however they'll release 1TB SKUs next year no doubt.

I know people get annoyed when gaming PCs are recommended over consoles, but you are literally describing gaming PCs...

Xenji wrote: »
    So far it is, BF4 will be 900p on the PS4 and 720p on the X1, all other PS4 games will be 1080p as regards ones we know about, off the top of my head Forza, UFC and NBA 2k14 will all be 1080p on the X1.

Fifa as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tom Warren has confirmed the problems with the OS dash on the Xbox One.
    Tom Warren wrote:
    The Xbox One reports of laggy dashboard and app snapping are accurate. I just played with an August dash and it was bad. Latest is better

Still expect this to be polished out by launch.

• Advertisement

THEY'RE RUSHING THESE DAMN CONSOLES!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement