Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Online leaderboards with friends would be a good way to keep people at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Grayditch wrote: »
    That fitness thing looks good for people who aren't currently keeping fit, I'd say, so I've nothing against that. Personally, I like to leave the house for fitness, but that looks decent for others.

In fairness, P90X done properly (including the diet they recommend) is an AWESOME workout to do at home. Very, VERY tough and gets results. You need weights and stuff for it though. I think insanity might by body weight/resistence based.

There is plenty of stuff you can do at home for serious fitness gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If you concentrate purely on games, yeah - PS4 might be better. But MS aren't doing that so to take any comments they make as meaning that is being deliberately thick imo.

They will claim all the extra living room and streaming stuff it does gives a better experience than PS4. Their NFL integration, the tv guide stuff they will bring, the snap features, the DLNA streaming - the (in their world) central hub of media entertainment they have created.... that is what they are talking about. Not the resolution of CoD on Xbox One vs PS4.

As for it lasting 10 years.

The 360 is out 8 years the day the Xbox One releases and they will claim there is still plenty of life left in that console, so if they can claim a 10 year life span for the 360 you can be damned sure they are going to claim the same is easily within reach for their 'future facing' Xbox One and Cloud infrastructure.

There is absolutely nothing mind boggling about what they have said, but you do love to talk negitively about them so its hardly surprising that is the line you would take.

I have a somewhat balanced opinion on both, more swayed to the PS4 yes, but by the end of the month, both consoles will be in the house, I have given information about both, kept up to date on both, and if Sony were getting bad press or making bold claims I would comment negitively on the PS4 also if I felt it was needed, but if that is the opinion you have formed so be it, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There is plenty of stuff you can do at home for serious fitness gains.

I know yeah, I'm judging it on how it relates to my needs, though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I know yeah, I'm judging it on how it relates to my needs, though.
    for me it won't replace going to the gym regularly or going for jogs - but if it has a 20minute H.I.I.T session or two in there I reckon I will certainly make use of it. Would probably pick out the Plyometrics or Kempo X stuff from the P90X series on occassion as well if I can't be bothered to go out for a run.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I have a somewhat balanced opinion on both, more swayed to the PS4 yes, but by the end of the month, both consoles will be in the house, I have given information about both, kept up to date on both, and if Sony were getting bad press or making bold claims I would comment negitively on the PS4 also if I felt it was needed, but if that is the opinion you have formed so be it, each to their own.
    Fair enough - so as for the rest of my riposte to your 'mind-boggling' comment - what say you?

To me you are being overly sensitive and highly critical of the comments without considering the context they would be made with. Can you elaborate how you consider the comments to be mind boggling when you consider the facts of the current generation life span and the full suite of features MS will say are big parts of the Xbox One experience? How do you feel PS4 offers greater experiences and why do you think saying the One could easily last a year or two more than they say the 360 is going to, is crazy?

Fair enough - so as for the rest of my riposte to your 'mind-boggling' comment - what say you?

To me you are being overly sensitive and highly critical of the comments without considering the context they would be made with. Can you elaborate how you consider the comments to be mind boggling when you consider the facts of the current generation life span and the full suite of features MS will say are big parts of the Xbox One experience? How do you feel PS4 offers greater experiences and why do you think saying the One could easily last a year or two more than they say the 360 is going to, is crazy?

Mind boggling was probably the wrong wording, it was more to do with the section I had bolded, about it being already ahead with launch and the best holiday experience, ( the future bit just happened to be in between that sentence ) I know the console will improve and I look forward to seeing what it can do, but it is not really ahead as it stands with quite a few games still being in 720p while it competitor is putting them out in 1080p.

Maybe mind boggling was the wrong wording, it was more to do with the section I had bolded, about it being already ahead with launch, I know the console will improve and I look forward to seeing what it can do, but it is not really ahead as it stand with games still being in 720p while it competitor is putting them out in .

But it isn't just about games, and certainly isn't just about native resolution. The games will play the same on the console and the vast majority of people won't notice any resolution 'problems' to begin with. As I said, MS will say they have built something that is far more than just a games console (whether thats what you want or not), so there is nothing strange in them saying the fullness of their offering puts them ahead. How could you actually expect them to say anything else or even find it odd?

But it isn't just about games, and certainly isn't just about native resolution. The games will play the same on the console and the vast majority of people won't notice any resolution 'problems' to begin with. As I said, MS will say they have built something that is far more than just a games console (whether thats what you want or not), so there is nothing strange in them saying the fullness of their offering puts them ahead. How could you actually expect them to say anything else or even find it odd?

We do not yet know if we will be getting all these features, we have only had one app confirmed for the EU, Albert Penello confirmed a large amount of apps that were on the 360 will not be ready in time for launch or may never appear on the X1. Xbox One Tv will not be arriving for the foreseeable future also, the US are getting the majority of services that makes the X1 more than a games console, while we have not seen any EU equivalent of these services so far, hopefully we will do soon though.

I know a company will say all these things to hype their system, they have to otherwise nobody will buy it, but at this point they do not have to be saying it, its to late in the game, and they will look like clowns if it all backfires, and hopefully it does not, competition leads to better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

redeeming a code on xbox one by major nelson

https://vine.co/v/hIAEZuQp5MK

• Advertisement

We do not yet know if we will be getting all these features, we have only had one app confirmed for the EU, Albert Penello confirmed a large amount of apps that were on the 360 will not be ready in time for launch or may never appear on the X1. Xbox One Tv will not be arriving for the foreseeable future also, the US are getting the majority of services that makes the X1 more than a games console, while we have not seen any EU equivalent of these services so far, hopefully we will do soon though.

I know a company will say all these things to hype their system, they have to otherwise nobody will buy it, but at this point they do not have to be saying it, its to late in the game, and they will look like clowns if it all backfires, and hopefully it does not, competition leads to better games.
    yes - but the comments were made in toronto, to a toronto audience.Not europe. the comments were made for, and aimed at, the north american public - not us. So again, the comments are on the money as far as MS are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Kotick predicts the One and PS4 will drop in price "soon".

Hopefully. They are too expensive for me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

peteeeed wrote: »
    redeeming a code on xbox one by major nelson

https://vine.co/v/hIAEZuQp5MK

So there will be at least one good use for kinect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know some people were asking for this (including me), so I'll post it in here. Sony have done a tear down of the PS4, and I have to admit, it looks like an incredible piece of engineering.

See here for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

CatInABox wrote: »
    I know some people were asking for this (including me), so I'll post it in here. Sony have done a tear down of the PS4, and I have to admit, it looks like an incredible piece of engineering.

See here for video.

have to say its pretty slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I hope the Playstation video gets made into one of those Hitler type videos with new subtitles.

"And here you can see where we store all the extra P's to get our games up to 900p and on the left is where you wont see Titanfall. Ever."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CatInABox wrote: »

See here for video.

But...there's electrical stuff in that thing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Question...

My TV is kinda old and only has the one HDMI port. Can I hook the 360 up to the XB1 using the HDMI pass through to have them both on the one port?

Will be buying a new telly at Christmas but wondering what the easiest solution is for now, could get a splitter cheap but if the pass through works that would be great.

(tried googling but work filter is defeating me :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

maximoose wrote: »
    Question...

My TV is kinda old and only has the one HDMI port. Can I hook the 360 up to the XB1 using the HDMI pass through to have them both on the one port?

Will be buying a new telly at Christmas but wondering what the easiest solution is for now, could get a splitter cheap but if the pass through works that would be great.

(tried googling but work filter is defeating me :pac:)

You can use the pass through apparently, but a splitter would be better, as it would save you having to have 2 console on at the same time, which would cost you a fair bit in electricity.

maximoose wrote: »
    Question...

I'm nearly sure you can. They even said you could pass a PS3/4 through it, until Sony said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

wes wrote: »
    You can use the pass through apparently, but a splitter would be better, as it would save you having to have 2 console on at the same time, which would cost you a fair bit in electricity.

Does the XB1 need to be running though ? Would the passthrough mode still work if the xb1 is in standby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

syboit wrote: »
    Does the XB1 need to be running though ? Would the passthrough mode still work if the xb1 is in standby ?

Not sure tbh. Would assume it would have to be on for it to work, and everything I have read so far gives me that impression.

Also, you can get a splitter dirt cheap in Aldi for 10-15 euro, so I would go with a splitter to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

wes wrote: »
    Not sure tbh. Would assume it would have to be on for it to work, and everything I have read so far gives me that impression.

Also, you can get a splitter dirt cheap in Aldi for 10-15 euro, so I would go with a splitter to be on the safe side.

:eek:

I would recommend ebay for 1 euro instead of paying 10 times more in supermarket
    (not from Hong Kong obviously, but from Irish seller)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure you can. They even said you could pass a PS3/4 through it, until Sony said no.

Sony didn't say no. MS said there is too much latency to use it with another games console or anything that requires a lot of responsive inputs.

Sony didn't say no. MS said there is too much latency to use it with another games console or anything that requires a lot of responsive inputs.

Did they not? I can't remember where I read that anyways.

I would be going for a switch anyways, having 2 xboxes on to play one game isn't ideal.

Even if the XBOX ONEs pass through works perfectly with SKY+, I still wouldn't bother with it due to its cheaper just to have my TV and SKY box on, why have the XBOX ONE on in between, just for an EPG and other features. Pass.

I thought Sky was a no go with pass through, Virgin as well, been said on Neogaf for a few months now as it does not support HDMI-CEC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Adam Orth talked to Eurogamer about where he was coming from with his controversial "always on" opinion from seven months ago. If he harbours any ill will for Microsoft, then he hides it very well.

See here

Incredibly sad really, the fact that both himself and his family got death threats just reminds me of how immature some gamers are. Total A$$hats.

• Advertisement

I thought Sky was a no go with pass through tv, Virgin as well, been said on Neogaf for a few months now as it does not support HDMI-CEC.

Well, there won't be any EPG available on Xbox One, but as the Xbox One is HDCP capable, there's nothing to stop you from connecting them together.

Even some remote functions should work. I.e. "Xbox, go to channel 123" should work, "Xbox, go to sky one" will not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement