Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Xenji wrote: »
    Try both Castlebar and Ballina.

Seriously?

Those are my nearest stores. I will wait for price drop or decent bundle offer next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Ha you're so full of ****! I've been reading this thread for the last couple of months and noticed your petty comments, always trying to put down the Xbox One. Every time I see your name I think not this clown again. Like seriously how old are you? It's clear you are PS4 Fanboy although you will probably say "I'm getting an Xbox One after launch and I'm just giving people the facts". If there is an article putting down the Xbox One you are sure to link it. You need to get a grip and just be happy with your PS4, it's not a competition!

My girlfriend is actually getting one and have said that from the get go, so why not do you do yourself a favour and stop lurking in this thread and make some positive comments or in this thread or valid criticisms without taking petty childish potshots against me, not sure why you are getting so worked up you're the one coming off childish.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Seriously?

Those are my nearest stores. I will wait for price drop or decent bundle offer next year.

Yeah they had a few left after yesterday in Castlebar, not as sure with Ballina but they usually have a similar amount of stock as Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

All of the Xbox One launch-window apps, broken down by territory:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/all-of-the-xbox-one-launch-window-apps-broken-down-by-territory/

Ireland:
    Machinima
    MUZU TV
    Netflix
    TED
    Twitch

CombatCow wrote: »

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/all-of-the-xbox-one-launch-window-apps-broken-down-by-territory/

Ireland:
    Machinima
    MUZU TV
    Netflix TED
    Twitch

Thanks, I have been asking about that for awhile.

• Advertisement

Xbox One Kinect: Microsoft details “new level of realism,” and non-game applications
    Reporting on the session, dubbed “The Next Generation of Kinect,” IGN quoted Lower as saying, “I hope people are inspired by the future of Kinect and the direction that we’re going in as a company, the investments that we’re making and how that’s unlocking new scenarios for games, but also new scenarios outside of gaming. Outside of the living room.”

Re-capping a shopping list of recurring features, Lower re-iterated that Xbox One’s Kinect can detect up to six people at once, which he reckons will make for, “amazing opportunities for building richer and more engaging experiences,” and added that the new version of Kinect for Windows is capable of capturing colour images at 1080p, allowing for a, “new level of realism.”

Lower demonstrated himself using the sensor to photobomb a friends photo on Facebook. using methods he called, “green screen without a screen.” He apparently snapped himself then placed the image into his friend’s photo seamlessly within moments, then used multiple images to create a 3D ‘fly-around’ model of himself.

The demo also showcased emotional recognition tools that enable Kinect to track a gamut of expressions, as well as tracking “full joint orientation and rotation.”

He concluded that while Xbox One can only support one Kinect device at a time, PCs will be able to hook up several sensors at once. During the following Q&A session he added that Xbox One Kinect ‘might’ be able to read lips, but couldn’t say for certain.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-kinect-microsoft-details-%E2%80%9Cnew-level-of-realism%E2%80%9D-and-non-game-applications/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Should i post these in the PS4 thread :)

titan1.gif

titan4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

tok9 wrote: »
    Titus Fallen

That was a great episode! He makes a valid point about Titanfall too, I am looking forward to it, but I dunno why, it just looks like CoD 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I want to kill Titans now :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The fire effects on the titan look astonishing. Genuinely looks like it's been through hell.

• Advertisement

Xbox One dashboard showcased in live 12-minute video

Xbox One’s dashboard has been shown off in a new 12-minute ‘live’ demo, courtesy of Microsoft. It shows how the console’s many apps and UI features work of-screen so you can get a feel for how it will work in your living room.

My entry into the next gen could be through a hopefully fair priced Titanfall bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Xbox One’s dashboard has been shown off in a new 12-minute ‘live’ demo, courtesy of Microsoft. It shows how the console’s many apps and UI features work of-screen so you can get a feel for how it will work in your living room.

Impressive, very quick moving between apps.

Ireland:
    Machinima
    MUZU TV
    Netflix
    TED
    Twitch

This was on eurogamer as well along with those listed
    In every market Xbox One will feature the following:

Xbox Fitness
    Xbox Video
    Xbox Music
    Internet Explorer
    Upload

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This was on eurogamer as well along with those listed
    The Joystiq article was also missing Eurosport for Ireland (big whoop, though :))

Ref: Xbox Wire
    Ireland
    •Eurosport
    •Machinima
    •MUZU TV
    •Netflix
    •TED
    •Twitch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

<SNIP>

After watching that video, one thing that really shone through was that Marc is totally useless at Forza.

Other than that, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's hard to say this because I don't like the idea of that camera, but some of that was nice and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Capcom Vancouver's Xbox One launch game Dead Rising 3 runs a native resolution of 720p.

"We are 720p, upscaled to 1080p," executive producer Josh Bridge told IGN, "and we run at a 30 frames per-second lock."

"We have to be locked because it's about the feel of combat. You've got to have that predictability of button presses." If the frame rate goes any lower, the way a game responds to your input slows.

I thought one of the preview articles the other day mentioned that framerate took a nose dive when they got into a fast moving vehicle. Anyone else see any further references to this, of course that original article didnt mention if it was a pre-release build or not.

I'm tempted between this or AC:black flag.

CatInABox wrote: »
    After watching that video, one thing that really shone through was that Marc is totally useless at Forza.

Other than that, very impressive.

I like it, have been messing around with a Windows 8 Laptop at work and you can see the similarities, my work phone is a windows phone and the UI is one of the fastest I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »

Actually, he's just useless at Forza at launch. Being good at Forza will come at a later date :)

Other than that it looks really good. Even the TV / NFL stuff that we won't have here for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I can't see Forza 5 being great, it looks like it's been released very early or they're just holding lots back for dlc.

From over 500 cars down to 200 and 26 tracks down to 14

Looks like Microsoft are seeing the same problems that Sony have highlighted as regards European broadband.

Xbox One: cloud-based backwards compatibility would be “problematic,” says Penello
    As we’ve seen with Shuhei Yoshida’s concern over European broadband as a platform for Sony’s PS4 streaming tech Gaikai, Penello raised similar doubts. “It’s really cool and really problematic, all at the same time, insofar as it’s really super cool if you happen to have the world’s most awesome internet connection. It works way better than you’d expect it to,” Penello continued.

“So managing quality of service, the tolerance people will have for it being crappy. Can you imagine, in this day and age, with the bad information around, and we can’t control the quality of that experience and make sure it’s good, or have to tell people they can’t do it?”

It’d be a nightmare that’s for sure, so it makes sense to hold off for now. However, Penello added of the Halo 4 test, “It was a grand experiment, I know we did a lot of work behind it, and we said this is one of the things where the network just has to get better before we can do it. When that happens, you’re going to have a really interesting conversation around that, can I actually run Xbox One games that way as well.”

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5079554/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Netflix

Does anyone know if we'll be able to change the ip on the xbox? To use US Netflix etc?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Does anyone know if we'll be able to change the ip on the xbox? To use US Netflix etc?

I'd be highly surprised if you couldn't change the DNS settings to manual settings on the Xbox One but in any case, doing it on your broadband router will work equally as well.

As regard the apps, not all of them will be available at launch, some people may not of seen the available in launch window part, i did not notice it at first, it means that they will be appearing between launch and the end of March.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-partners-unveiled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Should i post these in the PS4 thread :)

titan1.gif

titan4.gif

Ohh I cannot wait for this game! BF4 will keep me going until then :)

Looks like there is going to be achievements for sitting on our asses watching TV.....

source: X360A.org

The Xbox One will reward users with Achievements for watching entertainment content, Microsoft has confirmed.

First rumoured back in May, before the console was official announced, the system will provide Achievements for media apps like Amazon Instant Video and Xbox Video.

In July, Microsoft said, "Other Xbox One applications such as video and music apps can now use Achievements to bring you awesome sneak peek content, early access, or subscription extensions."

Now, buried at the bottom of Microsoft’s media app announcement press release, the company has added, “Xbox One is empowering partners to bring media achievements, offering everybody the opportunity to achieve badges or rewards for the media they consume in addition to gaming.”

You can see an image of media Achievement progress on the new Xbox One dashboard below. For an explanation of the Xbox One’s Achievement and Challenge systems, click here.

Edit: As pointed out in the comments below, Challenges - which is what the media app Achievements are classed as - will earn users 0GS. So don't worry, your Gamerscore wont be overtaken by your Mum for watching Grey's Anatomy.

Also, I hate when the word "comsume" is used for when you do an activity. I don't eat my entertainment, I just watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Looks like there is going to be achievements for sitting on our asses watching TV.....

Also, I hate when the word "comsume" is used for when you do an activity. I don't eat my entertainment, I just watch it.

This is what I don't like, I know people mostly won't bother with it, but they're going to use it as a way to make loads of money from advertisers.
    They'll probably end up doing those interactive ads that was patented by them a while ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Seems like everyone that actually tries the Xbox One UI is sold on it, or at least more open to it after wards.

See here for another opinion on it.

Loving the fact that the embargoes are coming down now. Looking forward to seeing some of the playstation stuff too, I'd say Sony still have a surprise or two to spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

They're 0G 'achievements' so I don't expect the draw to be as strong as one might expect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement