Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Pushtrak wrote: »
    They're 0G 'achievements' so I don't expect the draw to be as strong as one might expect.

ya, I don't really care about them to be honest. It's not a feature I would be interested in, like the Pre-ordering Achievement, I only whore after the ones for playing games. :pac:

Thats hard to believe, given the whole Microsoft ecosystem they have built up now, with Win 8, WP8, XBOX 360 & ONE, and the Surface tablets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You can guarantee that Elop pretty much just ruled himself out of the running by saying that. Gates and Ballmer still have almost complete control of the board, and the direction that Microsoft is moving in will remain regardless of the new CEO.

Most likely, Elop realised that he's close to being out of the running, so said that to curry favour with the hedge fund that is now on the board. I think it was foolish though, I can't see a change in direction happening. Speculation on my part, but I'd fall off my chair if I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I can't see Forza 5 being great, it looks like it's been released very early or they're just holding lots back for dlc.

From over 500 cars down to 200 and 26 tracks down to 14

That's what a lot people have been complaining about but in fairness, they're rebuilding everything from the ground up so can appreciate that. Would much rather the 200 freshly modelled cars than 500 being brought over from Forza 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Don't buy this. It has taken Microsoft years to get the Xbox brand to where it is today. They are not just going to sell that off. Microsoft are making money from Xbox and even more so now that they have a tablet os, mobile phone os, windows 8 os and the xbox one running essentially window 8 os.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'd be surprised to see it bought. I mean, who would? Apple? I don't see it. My thing is people who are in the running for CEO/perceived as likely to become so holding such a position. Insanity.

CatInABox wrote: »
    You can guarantee that Elop pretty much just ruled himself out of the running by saying that. Gates and Ballmer still have almost complete control of the board, and the direction that Microsoft is moving in will remain regardless of the new CEO.

Most likely, Elop realised that he's close to being out of the running, so said that to curry favour with the hedge fund that is now on the board. I think it was foolish though, I can't see a change in direction happening. Speculation on my part, but I'd fall off my chair if I was wrong.

Would agree with this.

And another thing:

"According to Bloomberg's sources, Elop would want to shrink Microsoft's business, making it more focused on operations that he thinks could ultimately improve its standing in the marketplace."

And look where that approach got Nokia.... sold sold and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They had a thread on this on Neogaf a few days ago
    Microsoft is generating $2 billion per year in revenue from Android patent royalties, says Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund in a new note on the company.

For the past few years, Microsoft reported the revenue and operating losses of Entertainment and Devices, which was the group that housed Xbox, Windows Phone, and those Android royalty payments.

That group always seemed to be profitable, but Sherlund says it's largely because of the Android money.

Sherlund says that if you back out the Android profits, Microsoft is probably losing $2.5 billion on Skype, Xbox, and Windows Phone. Of that, $2 billion in losses are attributable to the Xbox platform.

Sherlund believes Microsoft needs to spin out Xbox. He sees it as an orphan group at Microsoft that doesn't really fit with anything it's doing.

Investors are blind to Xbox's struggles, says Sherlund, because they are "concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties."

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-earns-2-billion-per-year-from-android-patent-royalties-2013-11

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710791

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Similar to the PS4 you cant do much without the day one update, they haven't said how big the file is though.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-day-one-update-details/

"Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update," Microsoft senior director of product management Albert Penello told Engadget in a recent interview.

CombatCow wrote: »
    Similar to the PS4 you cant do much without the day one update, they haven't said how big the file is though.

I'd say its bound to big for both consoles.

A load of the apps won't even be on the consoles at launch, they will be part of the the Day One Update more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

logik wrote: »
    Don't buy this. It has taken Microsoft years to get the Xbox brand to where it is today. They are not just going to sell that off. Microsoft are making money from Xbox and even more so now that they have a tablet os, mobile phone os, windows 8 os and the xbox one running essentially window 8 os.

Every single one of those things you listed are generally disliked by people who have an interest in those specific areas of tech. Funny that.
    I don't think any of MS hardware is profitable yet either. Not sure about Windows 8, but software and patents is where MS makes all its money.

Every single one of those things you listed are generally disliked by people who have an interest in those specific areas of tech. Funny that.
    I don't think any of MS hardware is profitable yet either. Not sure about Windows 8, but software and patents is where MS makes all its money.

Not sure I fully agree with that. Xbox is profitable, and has been for a few years. You can clearly see that it turned a profit a few years ago and has taken a HUGE drop this year due to the money spent on developing the One.

asfd3221125511352.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

2 Billion!!! That can't be true?

Why would they even bother with Xbox at all if it was causing that much of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

And another thing:

"According to Bloomberg's sources, Elop would want to shrink Microsoft's business, making it more focused on operations that he thinks could ultimately improve its standing in the marketplace."

And look where that approach got Nokia.... sold sold and sold.

Was too little too late for Nokia. Look what it did for Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I'd say its bound to big for both consoles.

A load of the apps won't even be on the consoles at launch, they will be part of the the Day One Update more than likely.

Microsoft have said that they are trying to keep it to 15-20 mins for the day one update.
    : We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible. While we’re still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users.
    http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

They'll probably end up doing those interactive ads that was patented by them a while ago.

From a business perspective, the Kinect is great tool for them. They will be able to direct marketing to you based on your preferences, appearance, age, sex etc which is what advertisers want at the end of the day.

It'll be able to detect if you are wearing a Nike top, and then show you an Nike ad or Adidas. This is technology coming into shopping centres around the world, and here Microsoft are bringing it into your living room.

Microsoft have said that they are trying to keep it to 15-20 mins for the day one update.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Does it really matter how long the update is? I wouldn't care if it was a 1 hour patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

tok9 wrote: »
    2 Billion!!! That can't be true?

Why would they even bother with Xbox at all if it was causing that much of a loss.

They're obsessed with trying to crack the living room and make a system that is an all in one because it would be hugely profitable to have that. The xbox could do that for them because the brand is established.

They've also a strange obsession with Apple and really try to do everything they do, after they've already done it, and nearly always worse.

I dunno, I think MS make terrible products. The only reason they're still around is because of windows being the only real OS available that can run on everything that's not a mac. They're slowly dying though because they can't seem to lead any sort of market and just follow really badly. I'd say they'll be around for years and years, but eventually it's Apple and Google that'll kill off MS because everything has going mobile rapidly and they've 0 chance of dominating that market.

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    They're obsessed with trying to crack the living room and make a system that is an all in one because it would be hugely profitable to have that. The xbox could do that for them because the brand is established.

They've also a strange obsession with Apple and really try to do everything they do, after they've already done it, and nearly always worse.

I dunno, I think MS make terrible products. The only reason they're still around is because of windows being the only real OS available that can run on everything that's not a mac. They're slowly dying though because they can't seem to lead any sort of market and just follow really badly. I'd say they'll be around for years and years, but eventually it's Apple and Google that'll kill off MS because everything has going mobile rapidly and they've 0 chance of dominating that market.

Why Apple? I mean they are the one company that is worse than Microsoft for milking its customers... They release the same bloody phone every year with small changes. They annoy the **** out of me.

If Microsoft make such terrible products why are they still the leading OS developer? If they are as bad as you say then surely everyone would be using MAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Microsoft make such terrible products why are they still the leading OS developer? If they are as bad as you say then surely everyone would be using MAC?

$$$

RasTa wrote: »
    $$$

What?

EDIT - We are dragging this thread off topic so lets just stop there.

Why Apple? I mean they are the one company that is worse than Microsoft for milking its customers... They release the same bloody phone every year with small changes. They annoy the **** out of me.

The market is changing and moving away from desktop OS to the point where mobile will dominate in a big way. Apple and Google dominate those areas -by far Google, and I guarantee you if Google introduced a desktop OS, they're experimenting with chrome OS, that'd be the end of MS. That's the only area they're leading in. They've failed every other market and weren't able to adapt like Apple was.

Apple make very good products. They don't milk their consumers. All phones are the same year in year out with some changes. That's how technology works. The problem for wide spread penetration of Mac is price. It's a better OS than windows in my view, but I can't afford a mac. I'll work towards it soon enough, though, because I despise windows.

Google make very good products too and are cheaper than Apple, that's how they're so successful. Price is the big factor.

If you had a windows laptop and a macbook side by side, same price, same spec. I'd guarantee you that the vast majority would pick the macbook. But that's not reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Apple make very good products.

I agree. I use them for work, and I wouldn't switch to Windows for work. Ever. But...
    They don't milk their consumers.

Ah, mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Xenji wrote: »
    My girlfriend is actually getting one and have said that from the get go, so why not do you do yourself a favour and stop lurking in this thread and make some positive comments or in this thread or valid criticisms without taking petty childish potshots against me, not sure why you are getting so worked up you're the one coming off childish.

Haha maybe my comments were a bit childish but I was already a bit wound up. I don't know if I would call it "lurking in this thread". I use this thread to read about the latest news and all the videos are usually linked here as well. I just noticed you were generally linking articles putting Xbox down.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I agree. I use them for work, and I wouldn't switch to Windows for work. Ever. But...

Ah, mate...

I'm more in the mindset of "if you don't want it, don't buy it". I'm not for all their products, but if that's your thing, go for it. It's kinda the done thing in the industry nowadays. Annual phones and even multiple types of phones like what Samsung does with their galaxy brand. I don't necessarily view it as a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Haha maybe my comments were a bit childish but I was already a bit wound up. I don't know if I would call it "lurking in this thread". I use this thread to read about the latest news and all the videos are usually linked here as well. I just noticed you were generally linking articles putting Xbox down.

It is cool, if you look back through news I have put up, the good normally outweighs the bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What?

EDIT - We are dragging this thread off topic so lets just stop there.

Apple products tend to be twice the price as MS, hence them now dominating the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Not sure I fully agree with that. Xbox is profitable, and has been for a few years. You can clearly see that it turned a profit a few years ago and has taken a HUGE drop this year due to the money spent on developing the One.

asfd3221125511352.jpg

Its bull****. X box live subscriptions and advertising on live have brought in millions for Microsoft, over the years.

Microsoft losses are likely due to payouts to keep games like Titanfall, on their platform.

Providing Dedicated servers for this generation of games, will not help, their profit margin either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement