Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah they had a few left after yesterday in Castlebar, not as sure with Ballina but they usually have a similar amount of stock as Castlebar.

I've just got back from my local Gamestop store, because i read last night, you have to be invited to the midnight launch by them.

So i went in to see if i was on the list. The gamestop employee (a guy) pulled out a book under the desk. Went down the names and he said yes you just made it in, barely.

I pre-ordered 3th of September.

I asked how many XB1's did you get? 70 he said. More probably come in after the 22th.

He said the PS4 is doing better than XB1, but i didn't ask him by how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You can't do anything really with the Xbox One until you get the Day One patch. Probably affects a small number of people, but just something to be aware of.
    "Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update," Microsoft's senior director of product management Albert Penello told Engadget.

When asked what consumers could with the console straight out the box, he replied: "Nothing. You need the day one update."

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My xbox live sub just expired, if I renew now is it the exact same as the sub for xbox one. I won't have to pay again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

My xbox live sub just expired, if I renew now is it the exact same as the sub for xbox one. I won't have to pay again?
    Yeah it is the exact same, your account can be used on both so gold carries over to the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

dor83 wrote: »
    Yeah it is the exact same, your account can be used on both so gold carries over to the one.

How does ms points say have some on 360 would they transfer over too?

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    How does ms points say have some on 360 would they transfer over too?
    Well all your points will be converted to €'s by now so that balance will stay with the account, like I said you use the same account so it will all carry over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

MS PR on Xbox selloff: "We appreciate Bloomberg's foray into fiction and look forward

Bloomberg also says Elop would "consider" shuttering Bing, Microsoft's search engine, and selling off "healthy businesses," including the Xbox, "if he determined they weren't critical to the company's strategy."

Well, isn't that interesting? As little as I care for Bing, I'm not sure killing the only viable rival to Google's search engine would be a good idea. The same goes for selling the Xbox business, which, in addition to being successful, has given Microsoft a pretty huge presence in the living room. Of course, a leaner and meaner Microsoft might do a better job with its core products—Windows and Office. Hmm.

Good thing this is all pure speculation. When asked by Bloomberg to comment, Microsoft replied, "We appreciate Bloomberg's foray into fiction and look forward to future episodes." (Thanks to The Verge for the tip.)

http://techreport.com/news/25629/report-as-microsoft-ceo-elop-could-kill-bing-sell-xbox-business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I've just got back from my local Gamestop store, because i read last night, you have to be invited to the midnight launch by them.

So i went in to see if i was on the list. The gamestop employee (a guy) pulled out a book under the desk. Went down the names and he said yes you just made it in, barely.

I pre-ordered 3th of September.

I asked how many XB1's did you get? 70 he said. More probably come in after the 22th.

He said the PS4 is doing better than XB1, but i didn't ask him by how much.

What's interesting here is when I got the call from my local gamestop yesterday I just happened to be passing by, and the manager whom I'm fairly friendly with told me the reason they were calling people who have pre booked the one yesterday is to make certain they are picking it up because all xb1's after the day one release will be €539.99 as they are being bundled with a game. I wonder did anyone else get the same information?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

foxerv1 wrote: »
    What's interesting here is when I got the call from my local gamestop yesterday I just happened to be passing by, and the manager whom I'm fairly friendly with told me the reason they were calling people who have pre booked the one yesterday is to make certain they are picking it up because all xb1's after the day one release will be €539.99 as they are being bundled with a game. I wonder did anyone else get the same information?

I will be calling to gamestop store today i will ask a load of questions ;)

I received no call yet so am intetested in finding out exactly what is happening they have to know by now less than 2 weeks to launch night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I will be calling to gamestop store today i will ask a load of questions ;)

I received no call yet so am intetested in finding out exactly what is happening they have to know by now less than 2 weeks to launch night :D

Good stuff, it would be a major drop to some folk to be forced into buying a game just because. I have seen no official announcement to support the claim but I see no reason why they would make it up given I am destined for the midnight launch and not waiting say a week or what have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

This guy ordered one last week and target sent it to him already :eek:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-retail-unit-ebay-auction/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

D_BEAR wrote: »
    This guy ordered one last week and target sent it to him already :eek:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-retail-unit-ebay-auction/

Microsoft have banned his console, it's all on neogaf

Fifa digital download is 8GB while Forza comes in at 31GB.

"The listings for games on the Xbox Live Marketplace reveal some hefty downloads in store for next-gen -- interestingly NBA 2K14 is 43GB while EA's Madden and FIFA are 12GB and 8GB, respectively. Other notables include Forza 5 at 31GB, Dead Rising 3 at 19GB and Call of Duty: Ghosts 39GB"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/09/early-xbox-one-details/

CombatCow wrote: »
    He should have expected that really, didn't they ban people for playing GTA V early? Using a console online, 2 weeks before launch is not very intelligent when you consider MS ban for a lot less.

He probably wouldn't have been banned if he didn't try to sell it on eBay and put up YouTube videos of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CombatCow wrote: »

They put a copyright claim and took down his youtube unboxing video as well as banning his account, seems ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

They've probably sent mercenaries to kill him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I read yesterday that the X1 is basically a brick without it's day one patch, confirmed by a MS exec this week. It won't even play a game offline without it. So unless MS have released the day one patch already any X1 shipped early are just bricks until the 15th in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I read yesterday that the X1 is basically a brick without it's day one patch. It won't even play a game offline without it. So unless MS have released the day one patch already any X1 shipped early are just bricks until the 15th in the US.

He was able to download it, that is how they probably got him at first, it was a 550mb download.

Xenji wrote: »
    , it was a 550mb download.

I feel sorry for people who don't know you need the update for this console to work as a console and have poor internet connections with small download caps.

At least the PS4 can function as a games console online and offline without it's day one update, just missing a few features like watching BLuray movies and social features.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I feel sorry for people who don't know you need the update for this console to work as a console and have poor internet connections with small download caps.

At least the PS4 can function as a games console online and offline without it's day one update, just missing a few features like watching BLuray movies and social features.

Yes, I feel that a few Mammy's and Daddy's are going to get a technological wake up call on Christmas morning. Ah well, this is the future of consumer electronics.

I think at the very least MS should have included this update in all the launch title games. Either by providing an extra CD in the case or making it mandatory for it to be included on the discs as the games are master pressed as they go gold. Some later dashboard updates were released with some games as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

But didn't MS say after the DRM stuff was dropped that you'd need to connect to the net once, for set up? There will be people caught out, though, I hope Gamestop remind people when they're selling them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think at the very least MS should have included this update in all the launch title games. Either by providing an extra CD in the case or making it mandatory for it to be included on the discs as the games are master pressed as they go gold. Some later dashboard updates were released with some games as far as I know.

To be honest, I'd say that they are still making changes. Probably will up until it's released. The one that guy downloaded is probably just the latest version.

It's also interesting that people are reacting to the day one required patch thing as if it's new news. When they reversed the DRM policies, they stated that the Xbox One would need a day one required patch because of the changes.

Yeah they said it would need the day one patch. But I don't recall them saying that the X1 is a brick without it. I assumed one could still play offline with a game bought in a shop which was not the case before the E3 outlash. It doesn't bother me as I have my consoles online all the time but I thought with the reversal of the DRM policy the online requirement was gone 100%.

Still, there is going to be alot of angry people come the 22nd of this month and the 25th of the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Are there any households without internet connection? I assume farmers and pensioners aren't going to buy xbox one. Every other normal household with kids should have internet ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Is it true ryse multiplayer is being delayed and won't be available at launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

198321 wrote: »
    Are there any households without internet connection? I assume farmers and pensioners aren't going to buy xbox one. Every other normal household with kids should have internet ..

Wow...

It's E3 all over again. What was that famous quote? " For Xbox fans without an Internet connection, well still have a product for you, it's the Xbox 360" that particular person no longer works for MS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

It's E3 all over again. What was that famous quote? " For Xbox fans without an Internet connection, well still have a product for you, it's the Xbox 360" that particular person no longer works for MS.

Its hardly E3 all over again. Anyone who expected that there wouldn't be an update when they first get the Xbox One is naive.

I expect there to be an update for all games, consoles, laptops, tablets, smartphones these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement