Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

198321 wrote: »
    Are there any households without internet connection? I assume farmers and pensioners aren't going to buy xbox one. Every other normal household with kids should have internet ..
    It isn't so simple. Having internet doesn't mean you'll be fine. I'm fine where I am now for wireless connectivity... Too far from the router for wired, which sucks. I prefer having wired connectivity for anything.

Where I was last year, though, there were about 300 people living in the one place. Not like the one room, but over however many rooms, and we all were alike in sharing the connection and having no access to the router. I couldn't connect my consoles to the internet. I got an IP error and an MTU error which was a bandwidth one. The suggestion to sort that out was there was too much stuff connecting. Think how many PCs, laptops, smartphones would have been connected to that.

I'm not living there any more, but every year, there are around 300 people living there. Some people elect to stay there longer than a year. I got out while the going was good. Further to that one place, there are a number of other ones I'm aware of in Cork. I'd not be surprised if there are a lot of other ones that are in cities that have some type of obstacle that'd prevent them similar to that situation.

When MS had that check in every 24 hours, I just wouldn't have been able to buy. Nor would a lot of other people. With this day one patch, I'd have had to bring my 360 back to Limerick, get the day one update and then I'd be good but for others it may be a bigger pain in the ass than they'd want to do. Basic functionality should be part and parcel of the product. I get there are updates going on till day one and beyond, so the service will be constantly evolving. There are basic levels you expect a consumer product to reach at launch though. This not able to play games just does not reach even the most meager of standards. If I were buying a One at launch, I'd be fine. A not insignificant number would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Xenji wrote: »
    "Xbox snap BS collectibles achievement map" :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah they said it would need the day one patch. But I don't recall them saying that the X1 is a brick without it. I assumed one could still play offline with a game bought in a shop which was not the case before the E3 outlash. It doesn't bother me as I have my consoles online all the time but I thought with the reversal of the DRM policy the online requirement was gone 100%.

Still, there is going to be alot of angry people come the 22nd of this month and the 25th of the next.

They said that a day one patch would be required to remove the always on necessity, so that implies to me that the console would not work without it.

Not sure why they couldn't just load on some updated firmware to allow games to be played before shipping the console though.

Yeah, they should really do the adding the update to launch games, and advertise the fact. And here might be the challenging bit. Let the retailers know. I pretty often encounter stories of people going in to Gamestops et cetera of managers seemingly being willfully ignorant of things about the consoles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It isn't so simple. Having internet doesn't mean you'll be fine. I'm fine where I am now for wireless connectivity... Too far from the router for wired, which sucks. I prefer having wired connectivity for anything.

Where I was last year, though, there were about 300 people living in the one place. Not like the one room, but over however many rooms, and we all were alike in sharing the connection and having no access to the router. I couldn't connect my consoles to the internet. I got an IP error and an MTU error which was a bandwidth one. The suggestion to sort that out was there was too much stuff connecting. Think how many PCs, laptops, smartphones would have been connected to that.

I'm not living there any more, but every year, there are around 300 people living there. Some people elect to stay there longer than a year. I got out while the going was good. Further to that one place, there are a number of other ones I'm aware of in Cork. I'd not be surprised if there are a lot of other ones that are in cities that have some type of obstacle that'd prevent them similar to that situation.

When MS had that check in every 24 hours, I just wouldn't have been able to buy. Nor would a lot of other people. With this day one patch, I'd have had to bring my 360 back to Limerick, get the day one update and then I'd be good but for others it may be a bigger pain in the ass than they'd want to do. Basic functionality should be part and parcel of the product. I get there are updates going on till day one and beyond, so the service will be constantly evolving. There are basic levels you expect a consumer product to reach at launch though. This not able to play games just does not reach even the most meager of standards. If I were buying a One at launch, I'd be fine. A not insignificant number would not.

300 people working off the one router supplying DHCP addresses? Definitely an edge case, and more to do with the set up of the network there than anything else. If it's running out of addresses on a regular basis, then it just needs to be reconfigured in the software.

At some point though, some people are going to be left behind. It's almost inevitable what with the way that network infrastructure is rolled out across countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its hardly E3 all over again. Anyone who expected that there wouldn't be an update when they first get the Xbox One is naive.

I expect there to be an update for all games, consoles, laptops, tablets, smartphones these days.

You missed my point. When I said it was E3 all over I was refearing to 198321's comment on who doesn't have the Internet these days, which is how MS went on at E3.

I don't mind day one updates but updates that make something from a brick to what it's supposed to do is a big deal. Imagine a TV that you can't watch anything on unless you install the update for it or a new smart hone that won't make or receive any calls unless you update it. That's what the X1 is. The PS4 has a day one update but it will still do what you bought it for without it. X1 is like buying a car with no engine that you have to download before you can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

You missed my point. When I said it was E3 all over I was refearing to 198321's comment on who doesn't have the Internet these days, which is how MS went on at E3.

I don't mind day one updates but updates that make something from a brick to what it's supposed to do is a big deal. Imagine a TV that you can't watch anything on unless you install the update for it or a new smart hone that won't make or receive any calls unless you update it. That's what the X1 is. The PS4 has a day one update but it will still do what you bought it for without it. X1 is like buying a car with no engine that you have to download before you can drive it.

So what are you going to do about having to download this day one update when you get your XboxOne?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

"Xbox snap BS collectibles achievement map" :pac:

The best one is "Xbox Go home" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So what are you going to do about having to download this day one update when you get your XboxOne?

It's a non issue for me with my 30mb UPC connection. It's the none tech savy consumers I feel sorry for. I can see little Johnny on Xmas morning with a X1 that won't work because they may not have a decent enough connection for a 500+mb download in a decent time frame of a decent enough cap to get it.

If you actually read my last posts and had less of the attitude it would be helpful. Instead of attacking all my points.

CatInABox wrote: »
    300 people working off the one router supplying DHCP addresses? Definitely an edge case, and more to do with the set up of the network there than anything else. If it's running out of addresses on a regular basis, then it just needs to be reconfigured in the software.
    It was student accommodation. I knew of maybe 5 other places here in Cork that had similar connectivity issues with consoles. I haven't gotten around to asking people in other cities in student accommodation if they had a similar constraint on their gaming, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of places that'd just be on dial up too. The update included on the game would be the best approach to this. I saw an article there that included the following "PS4 users can alternatively request this update and playback activation via a Blu-ray disc" and their update isn't as vital.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/65449/xbox-one-without-day-one-patch-can-do-very-little

The issue will resolve itself as the second batch of consoles should come with the update, right? Those launch day buyers though...

• Advertisement

nanook5 wrote: »
    The best one is "Xbox Go home" :P
    *Xbox one looks perplexed.* "Am I not home?"

It's a non issue for me with my 30mb UPC connection. It's the none tech savy consumers I feel sorry for. I can see little Johnny on Xmas morning with a X1 that won't work because they may not have a decent enough connection for a 500+mb download in a decent time frame of a decent enough cap to get it.

Just do what any normal person would do and just laugh at little Johnny and the none tech savy consumers instead of feeling sorry for them.

Like, look at the guy who said he was sharing the one connection with 300 people. Why couldn't he just go buy his own private connection. Obviously a student.

Like, look at the guy who said he was sharing the one connection with 300 people. Why couldn't he just go buy his own private connection. Obviously a student.
    Are you talking about a hot spot type from Carphone Warehouse or something? Not exactly something that'd be great for online gaming. It'd do the job for getting updates I guess. But I didn't care to buy the wireless adapter for the 360 and a hotspot for the sake of getting updates and having a crap connection for downloads.

If you are talking like getting Chours or the like in, that wasn't allowed. And yes, I am a student. The point I was making was there are a lot of people for whom this update is going to be a pain in the balls. It isn't going to be that big a game changer as people can just wait for the 2nd batch of consoles where the update will be included.

There's a reaction a lot of people would have on reading news like this. It isn't a rational consideration of how they could wait and the issue will resolve itself. It'll be a "WTF? I'm buying a PS4" even if their buying a PS4 will come after that second batch of consoles comes out. Lots of people act irrationally to bad news. This for sure, qualifies as bad news. Yes, you might say it isn't really news as it was known. It was, but what was known compared to what was shown, well, there's a disparity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is it true ryse multiplayer is being delayed and won't be available at launch day

Last I heard it was just the Challenge Editor which would not be ready, it lets you create custom playlists of events and maps, but you can still use the multiplayer.

Are you talking about a hot spot type from Carphone Warehouse or something? Not exactly something that'd be great for online gaming. It'd do the job for getting updates I guess. But I didn't care to buy the wireless adapter for the 360 and a hotspot for the sake of getting updates and having a crap connection for downloads.

If you are talking like getting Chours or the like in, that wasn't allowed. And yes, I am a student. The point I was making was there are a lot of people for whom this update is going to be a pain in the balls. It isn't going to be that big a game changer as people can just wait for the 2nd batch of consoles where the update will be included.

There's a reaction a lot of people would have on reading news like this. It isn't a rational consideration of how they could wait and the issue will resolve itself. It'll be a "WTF? I'm buying a PS4" even if their buying a PS4 will come after that second batch of consoles comes out. Lots of people act irrationally to bad news. This for sure, qualifies as bad news. Yes, you might say it isn't really news as it was known. It was, but what was known compared to what was shown, well, there's a disparity there.

Sure, the Xbox One is too expensive for students anyway, spending all their grant money on liquor and smokes.

I remember back in my day etc....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Just do what any normal person would do and just laugh at little Johnny and the none tech savy consumers instead of feeling sorry for them.

That isn't what any normal person would do. Normal people would empathise with the child who'd be devastated on Christmas morning and the frustrated parents who didn't forsee a problem and don't know how to fix it. A lack of empathy is a psychopathic trait.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Sure, the Xbox One is too expensive for students anyway, spending all their grant money on liquor and smokes.

I remember back in my day etc....

:)
    I don't even have grant money, just BTEA. If there were good games at launch, I'd have saved up for it. Don't drink that much... Well, excess in moderation. I make those few nights count. Use an ecig too and have supplies for at least a year, so I'm good.
    That isn't what any normal person would do. Normal people would empathise with the child who'd be devastated on Christmas morning and the frustrated parents who didn't forsee a problem and don't know how to fix it. A lack of empathy is a psychopathic trait.
    Normally, I'd agree, but it might be excessive fanboyism. It looks to me more like, the product can't be bad, so if there is an issue, it can't be the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Normally, I'd agree, but it might be excessive fanboyism. It looks to me more like, the product can't be bad, so if there is an issue, it can't be the product.

Haha well I wasn't being 100% serious. It was meant more in jest

A normal person would know that an update would be required and they would have an internet connection that isn't dial up to download it.

This really is a non issue, unless you're a PS fanboy. Then its an issue worth shouting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The defense of Microsoft gets a bit much when people expressing concerns for others, based on situations they have been in themselves are questioned or mocked, like.

The day one update will be an issues for some. I feel bad for the ones who it effects. MS, Sony and Nintendo all do things that put people out at some stage. They're big boys, they can take the criticism.

• Advertisement

A normal person would know that an update would be required and they would have an internet connection that isn't dial up to download it.
    A normal person wouldn't expect a system to play games out of the box? Just curious is there anything a bridge too far to you? Is there anything a console would do that would make you say "that isn't a positive thihg"? I'll be fine, as I said, and others will be fine once the batch featuring the update hit the market, but it's objectively bad for the consumer to have the restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not everyone has a fast connection, I know of people who will struggle to download this in a few hours who live outside the town, kids really do not have that much patience and even less so at Christmas, they see this wonderful awe inspiring piece of machinery in front of them and will want to play it straight away, best thing would be to bring it over to a friends house with a fast connection a few days beforehand and download it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

This really is a non issue, unless you're a PS fanboy. Then its an issue worth shouting about.

I disagree with you totally here. A lot of "normal" parents will be buying xbox ones for their kids and unless they are into gaming themselves will not know anything about the console being a brick without an internet connection.

And not everyone that has an issue with the console is a ps fanboy - grow up.

Just curious is there anything a bridge too far to you? Is there anything a console would do that would make you say "that isn't a positive thihg"? .

Not having Titanfall would be a bridge too far for me.

In all honesty if I wasn't reading this thread, and wasn't up to date with all this info and I got either a PS4 or X1 on launch, with BF4 which I'm getting, I'd expect both a update for the console, and an update for BF4, which to my knowledge there is for both.

I honestly think it is naive to think that things like smart phones, games consoles, laptops, tablets, etc wouldn't need an update when you get them home.

All this is really reminding me of the days when I was a nipper and there was always a shortage of AA batteries on Xmas day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Only blind xbox fanboys are unable to see how it could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Exactly my point. This tread is unbelievable for slating people if they have any issue at all with the console.

In all honesty if I wasn't reading this thread, and wasn't up to date with all this info and I got either a PS4 or X1 on launch, with BF4 which I'm getting, I'd expect both a update for the console, and an update for BF4, which to my knowledge there is for both.
    Are you the type that doesn't acknowledge BF4 has a single player and will be jumping right in to multiplayer? It seems rare for people to even know or care about single player in Battlefield games. Assuming I'm right on that, I'd just like to inform you that you aren't representative of the majority of gamers. You expect all sorts of updates, and to go online and play against people in an online environment. A lot more will expect being able to just throw on a game and play. Multiplayer isn't the first port of call for most gamers, basically.

Its not fanboyism. I think the PS4 specs wise is a much better console. I was all set to pre order one and not an X1 until Microsoft done the U turn on the always on and DRM.

Its not an issue for me because I'm being realistic and expecting there to be an update on launch day to download.

I'm on a poor connection and can only play online during off peak times like late at night and early in the day. Never in the evening. Yet this 500mb download is still a non issue for me.

Are you the type that doesn't acknowledge BF4 has a single player and will be jumping right in to multiplayer? It seems rare for people to even know or care about single player in Battlefield games. Assuming I'm right on that, I'd just like to inform you that you aren't representative of the majority of gamers. You expect all sorts of updates, and to go online and play against people in an online environment. A lot more will expect being able to just throw on a game and play. Multiplayer isn't the first port of call for most gamers, basically.

You're wrong on that. I always complete the single player on battlefield before dipping into multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

To be fair, most fps single players are abysmal compared to the likes of the last of us and that. I got bf3 and tried the single player but had to stop because it's so bad and predictable.

I always hold single player above multiplayer, but I just don't bother with those games anymore because they're so bad. I'd nearly prefer they didn't bother with sp and knocked €10-€20 off the game for it, obviously that'll never happen though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement