Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Its not an issue for me because I'm being realistic and expecting there to be an update on launch day to download.
    That would put you in with the consensus. An update is fine, a bricked console pre-update is another thing entirely. It really isn't something that ought be supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not having Titanfall would be a bridge too far for me.

In all honesty if I wasn't reading this thread, and wasn't up to date with all this info and I got either a PS4 or X1 on launch, with BF4 which I'm getting, I'd expect both a update for the console, and an update for BF4, which to my knowledge there is for both.

I honestly think it is naive to think that things like smart phones, games consoles, laptops, tablets, etc wouldn't need an update when you get them home.

All this is really reminding me of the days when I was a nipper and there was always a shortage of AA batteries on Xmas day :pac:

The only difference is that those highlighted will actually work when you bring them home without the need of a update, nothing is mandatory on them.

Having to patch the console will not be a issue in my house, but it will be for others, especially ones who do not know the console as well as we do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

In all honesty if I wasn't reading this thread, and wasn't up to date with all this info and I got either a PS4 or X1 on launch, with BF4 which I'm getting, I'd expect both a update for the console, and an update for BF4, which to my knowledge there is for both.

I honestly think it is naive to think that things like smart phones, games consoles, laptops, tablets, etc wouldn't need an update when you get them home.

All this is really reminding me of the days when I was a nipper and there was always a shortage of AA batteries on Xmas day :pac:

None of these items need an out-of-box update to work their prime function however, apart from XB1. It won't affect most people you're right but there is going to be a proportion of consumers that it will. This is a relatively minor issue but it is an issue that could (and should) have been avoided. At the end of the day I want both consoles to be a success because competition is healthy and for the most part good for the consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Didn't MS allow you to download updates for the 360 onto a usb stick and install it from that, if they did something like that and put it up a couple of days before launch it would probably help for people with poor connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The way I look at it is the X1 is the only next gen console getting the epic Titanfall which took E3 by storm winning 6 awards in every category it was nominated, so having to download this launch day update is a small price to pay to get the only next gen console with Titanfall. I'd expect Titanfall to have an update on launch day also.

• Advertisement

Sony will send you out a disk with their day one patch on it for free if you email them, I am sure Microsoft could do something similar if they wanted to, you can ask for it now and would have it by launch, would save some people a lot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

A normal person would know that an update would be required and they would have an internet connection that isn't dial up to download it.

This really is a non issue, unless you're a PS fanboy. Then its an issue worth shouting about.

a lot of people in a lot of countries have **** connections that downloading some 500mb could take an while if the connection doesn't drop

if the connection drops given how bad MS (and sony) are at DL infrastructure surrounding updates would more that likely mean re-downloading the update and if this happens 500mb can turn into a gb+

and people have dl caps on the **** internet

wouldnt be too hard to put the update on a disc into the box unless their rushing the update out which is never a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The way I look at it is the X1 is the only next gen console getting the epic Titanfall which took E3 by storm winning 6 awards in every category it was nominated, so having to download this launch day update is a small price to pay to get the only next gen console with Titanfall. I'd expect Titanfall to have an update on launch day also.

That's a fair point, but they said it themselves just the first game is exclusive. I think it's going to end up as an annual franchise. I'm not sure I'd like that.

Vince Zampella has already said that Titanfall won't be a yearly game like CoD and that it could be 3 years before we see a Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Titanfall is my reason for getting an Xbox when it comes out, but I'll have to judge if it's worth not just getting the 360 version. Might be longer to wait to get an Xbox One, if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »
    Titanfall is my reason for getting an Xbox when it comes out, but I'll have to judge if it's worth not just getting the 360 version. Might be longer to wait to get an Xbox One, if that's the case.

Not to try and pursude you or anything but the graphics on titanfall(if it is a video played on the x1 and not a pc version) looks brilliant
    don't think I could settle for the 360 version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

But all those devices you mentioned work out of the box, without requiring an update. Just so I understand, you think it's naive to expect a product to perform it's purpose straight out of the box without requiring some sort of update :confused:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Not to try and pursude you or anything but the graphics on titanfall(if it is a video played on the x1 and not a pc version) looks brilliant
    don't think I could settle for the 360 version

I'll be waiting until the reviews come out for both, anyway. If Titanfall is a killer game and much better looking on the One, I'll go with that. If there's not much in it, and if there's more people I know playing it on the 360, I'll get it on that.

Benzino wrote: »
    But all those devices you mentioned work out of the box, without requiring an update. Just so I understand, you think it's naive to expect a product to perform it's purpose straight out of the box without requiring some sort of update :confused:

No. Not, not working entirely without an update, but I expected that to be the case with the X1 because of the big changes in the always on and DRM.

Its a small price to pay to get the console we want without always on and DRM, and of course Titanfall and an actual next gen controller with heptic shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I remember the time I got an iPod for Xmas and needed to connect to iTunes or it wouldn't work. It was basically a little brick without an internet connection. Oh how I cried and cursed my gf out of it for getting me such an expensive gift and then not bothering to have it updated for Xmas day.

No. Not, not working entirely without an update, but I expected that to be the case with the X1 because of the big changes in the always on and DRM.

And there is the problem, not everybody knows the changes made by MS, so no doubt this will cause problems to some people.
    Its a small price to pay to get the console we want without always on and DRM, and of course Titanfall and an actual next gen controller with heptic shock.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the controller, really like the rumble in the triggers idea. Though, in fairness, the DS4 is probably more "next-gen", since it has added something completely new with the touchpad.

P.S. I really hope Titanfall is good, I'd be worried about you if it isn't :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

CombatCow wrote: »
    Microsoft have banned his console, it's all on neogaf

I followed his twitter last night. He was revealing stuff about the XB1 for about 5 hours before he wasn't banned. He's not the same person who was trying to sell it on Ebay!

Major Nelson responded today he will not be banned.

http://gearnuke.com/major-nelson-100-sure-console-ban-early-receiver-xbox-one-isnt-permanent/

The guy was very impressed with the XB1 and 98 per cent of what he said was positive. The OS, Kinect, and Snap all work perfectly as shown in the Microsoft demo.

He downloaded a patch when he turned on the XB1 it was 500MB

After 5 hours of play he said the console was slightly warm, but silent, a good sign.

The only negative he had before he got banned was. The DVR Quality was a bit choppy, but will probably be fixed before launch.

He was genuinely excited about all the features and it eased peoples doubts about the console. Even Neogaf Sony forum members admitted the XB1 isn't as bad as people made it out, to be.

Benzino wrote: »
    P.S. I really hope Titanfall is good, I'd be worried about you if it isn't :P

What are the chances of it not being good?

Think about it. It won 6 awards at E3 which is a record. The previous record was 5 awards won by The Last Of Us.

A manager in Gamestop was telling me about playing Titanfall and I'm pretty he was getting an erection while telling me about it. I wasn't looking at his crotch though. He had my money in his hand and his hands were down there so I seen it by accident. I swear.

I didn't know that the DS4 has a touch pad. That's cute. Personally now I'd take the heptic shocks over a touch pad any day. The finger is one of the most sensitive parts of the body and it makes sense to have shocks in there. I read somewhere that the DS4 seems to be more inline with the Xbox360 controller and the XboxOne controller is the only real "next-gen" controller.

I followed his twitter last night. He was revealing stuff about the XB1 for about 5 hours before he wasn't banned. He's not the same person who was trying to sell it on Ebay!

http://gearnuke.com/major-nelson-100-sure-console-ban-early-receiver-xbox-one-isnt-permanent/

The guy was very impressed with the XB1 and 98 per cent of what he said was positive. The OS, Kinect, and Snap all work perfectly as shown in the Microsoft demo.

After 5 hours of play he said the console was slightly warm, but silent, a good sign.

The only negative he had before he got banned was. The DVR Quality was a bit choppy, but will probably be fixed before launch.

He was genuinely excited about all the features and it eased peoples doubts about the console. Even Neogaf Sony forum members admitted the XB1 isn't as bad as people made it out, to be.

The one thing he did say that you did not mention is that that power button on the console is highly sensitive, he said his leg brushed off it and he knocked it off, so something to look out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Here is a more concise breakdown of what he said last night- Pictures and screenshots included.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711880

• Advertisement

I didn't know that the DS4 has a touch pad. That's cute. Personally now I'd take the heptic shocks over a touch pad any day. The finger is one of the most sensitive parts of the body and it makes sense to have shocks in there. I read somewhere that the DS4 seems to be more inline with the Xbox360 controller and the XboxOne controller is the only real "next-gen" controller.

Ha, where did this random talk of the DS4 come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Its funny how to sonys response to it was that they wouldnt ban you if you got it early when we all know the full well truth is they would

While I am getting a ps4 at some point, all sonys pr results in taken digs taken at ms, their like children in a playground:pac: its as if they don't believe their console is the better one and taken these digs at ms will help when all it does is show their true selfs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ha, where did this random talk of the DS4 come from?
    Benzino mentioned something about the DS4 a few posts back.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Benzino mentioned something about the DS4 a few posts back.

Ah right.

Did that lad actually have his Twitter shut down? I'd be interested to see how he broke any Twitter rules.

What are the chances of it not being good?

Think about it. It won 6 awards at E3 which is a record. The previous record was 5 awards won by The Last Of Us.

Oh I think it will be good, but E3 awards don't mean much at this stage. I know people who don't like The Last of Us (personally think it's a brilliant game). You just seem to have all your eggs in the Titanfall basket, so I hope it doesn't disappoint is all (I fear it will be another CoD).
    A manager in Gamestop was telling me about playing Titanfall and I'm pretty he was getting an erection while telling me about it. I wasn't looking at his crotch though. He had my money in his hand and his hands were down there so I seen it by accident. I swear.

Erm, I'm not sure how to respond to that lol

My point is, if you want to say one controller is more "next-gen" than the other (which I think is silly tbh), then surely the controller that has added a whole new button and control system is more "next-gen" than the one that has added a few extra rumble motors?

Anyway, I'm getting both consoles so looking forward to both playing on both controllers :D

That touchpad could be so great, if developers use it properly. Same with Kinect 2. Or the two could end up being fads, like the first Kinect and the Sixaxis control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

That touchpad could be so great, if developers use it properly. Same with Kinect 2. Or the two could end up being fads, like the first Kinect and the Sixaxis control.

I call fads on both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

having used the DS4 the touch pad will be nothing more than a fad its just not really in a place for anything other than menu movement tbh maybe some one will come up with a use but atm meh

i feel the same as the about haptic feedback on the XBO controller its not necessary for analog triggers its use comes in touch pads and things like the steam controller

sony fixed the problems with DS4 and MS' controller was imo the closest to perfection any controller has gotten

NTMK wrote: »
    having used the DS4 the touch pad will be nothing more than a fad its just not really in a place for anything other than menu movement tbh maybe some one will come up with a use but atm meh

i feel the same as the about haptic feedback on the XBO controller its not necessary for analog triggers its use comes in touch pads and things like the steam controller

sony fixed the problems with DS4 and MS' controller was imo the closest to perfection any controller has gotten

I would say the Gamecube controller was, personal opinion and all that, but you can see it was the main inspiration for the Xbox controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It isn't so simple. Having internet doesn't mean you'll be fine. I'm fine where I am now for wireless connectivity... Too far from the router for wired, which sucks. I prefer having wired connectivity for anything.

Where I was last year, though, there were about 300 people living in the one place. Not like the one room, but over however many rooms, and we all were alike in sharing the connection and having no access to the router. I couldn't connect my consoles to the internet. I got an IP error and an MTU error which was a bandwidth one. The suggestion to sort that out was there was too much stuff connecting. Think how many PCs, laptops, smartphones would have been connected to that.

I'm not living there any more, but every year, there are around 300 people living there. Some people elect to stay there longer than a year. I got out while the going was good. Further to that one place, there are a number of other ones I'm aware of in Cork. I'd not be surprised if there are a lot of other ones that are in cities that have some type of obstacle that'd prevent them similar to that situation.

When MS had that check in every 24 hours, I just wouldn't have been able to buy. Nor would a lot of other people. With this day one patch, I'd have had to bring my 360 back to Limerick, get the day one update and then I'd be good but for others it may be a bigger pain in the ass than they'd want to do. Basic functionality should be part and parcel of the product. I get there are updates going on till day one and beyond, so the service will be constantly evolving. There are basic levels you expect a consumer product to reach at launch though. This not able to play games just does not reach even the most meager of standards. If I were buying a One at launch, I'd be fine. A not insignificant number would not.

Go to PC World and get a pair of homeplugs for €25, plug one in to the plug socket near your router, connect it to the router, plug the other one in beside the console and connect it to the console. Boom, wired connection.

I don't know why more people don't know about this option, using wireless internet for online gaming is dodgey as fook, it used to drop out on me all the time and download like dialup, I found out about homeplugs 2 years ago and have never looked back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement