Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xenji wrote: »
    I would say the Gamecube controller was, personal opinion and all that, but you can see it was the main inspiration for the Xbox controller.

The Dreamcast controller was the inspiration for the Xbox controller I would think. They has so much in common, especially the S controller.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Xenji wrote: »
    I would say the Gamecube controller was, personal opinion and all that, but you can see it was the main inspiration for the Xbox controller.

The regular one or the wavebird :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Go to PC World and get a pair of homeplugs for €25, plug one in to the plug socket near your router, connect it to the router, plug the other one in beside the console and connect it to the console. Boom, wired connection.
    You rock. I'll follow up on that tomorrow.
    I don't know why more people don't know about this option, using wireless internet for online gaming is dodgey as fook, it used to drop out on me all the time and download like dialup, I found out about homeplugs 2 years ago and have never looked back.
    I can imagine. I just don't even bother thinking about online gaming when wired isn't an option. Those times when it isn't so great on wired have made me not even interested in an attempt for wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The wavebird was so clunky, the original one was the best and as regards the Xbox controller the whole left side is the same, plus it was the first controller to have two non symmetrical analog sticks and are placed nearly in the exact same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I just don't even bother thinking about online gaming when wired isn't an option. Those times when it isn't so great on wired have made me not even interested in an attempt for wireless.
    I have never had a problem playing my xbox online on a wireless connection, admittedly my router is only about 10 feet away from it but never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I call fads on both

I don't think they'll be fades. I think the touch pad on the DS4 will come in handy for navigating the PSN menus while the X1 users will be using their voice to navigate the X1 dashboard.

"Xbox, GO HOME!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I can imagine. I just don't even bother thinking about online gaming when wired isn't an option. Those times when it isn't so great on wired have made me not even interested in an attempt for wireless.

I got homeplugs there a couple of months ago and they're great.

I can even notice a difference in the length of time it takes to log into XBL when I turn on the console, and my ping is noticeably lower in FPS's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I don't think they'll be fades. I think the touch pad on the DS4 will come in handy for navigating the PSN menus while the X1 users will be using their voice to navigate the X1 dashboard.

"Xbox, GO HOME!!"

Strangely enough the PS4 supports voice commands as well, they are not making a big deal about it though, you do not even need a camera, the controller has a mic inbuilt in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Go to PC World and get a pair of homeplugs for €25, plug one in to the plug socket near your router, connect it to the router, plug the other one in beside the console and connect it to the console. Boom, wired connection.

I don't know why more people don't know about this option, using wireless internet for online gaming is dodgey as fook, it wused to drop out on me all the time and download like dialup, I found out about homeplugs 2 years ago and have never looked back.
    link plz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

gotthebug wrote: »
    link plz
    Elara have ones here. Haven't had a proper look at 'em yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    To be fair, most fps single players are abysmal compared to the likes of the last of us and that. I got bf3 and tried the single player but had to stop because it's so bad and predictable.

I always hold single player above multiplayer, but I just don't bother with those games anymore because they're so bad. I'd nearly prefer they didn't bother with sp and knocked €10-€20 off the game for it, obviously that'll never happen though.

But buying BF3, BF4 or any recent COD game for the single player is pointless. That's not what they are about. Comparing the likes of them against the like of The Last of Us which is a single player focused game is ridiculous.

Anyone playing the likes of BF or COD knows they are buying it for the multiplayer experience. Many BF players like myself would prefer if EA dropped the single player completely and put that resource into further perfecting the multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

gotthebug wrote: »
    link plz

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ON-NETWORKS-PL200199UKS-200-Mbps-Powerline-Adapter-Kit/312346/7.16

I've got them and they are excellent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If you are planning on streaming HD, then I'd go with the 500 m/bit versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    Are there 500 Mb ones that have plug through function (so you can still use the wall socket to plug something else in)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Very true, get the m/bit to match your connection. I'm on 120mb so the 200 ones do me fine.
    Are there 500 Mb ones that have plug through function (so you can still use the wall socket to plug something else in)?

There are but they are more expensive, PC World have a broader selection in store I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Amazon have some here: Link

That's just the first one I found, not sure if it's the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Very true, get the m/bit to match your connection. I'm on 120mb so the 200 ones do me fine.

There are but they are more expensive, PC World have a broader selection in store I think.

Can you get broadband quicker than 120mb in Ireland?

Be aware that even though they say 500 and 200, that's only their theoretical performance(i.e. in a clean lab). You'll never get it in real life.

See this review of a "500" unit which gives a realistic bandwidth of 139.8Mbit/s. "200" units gets around 64Mbit/s.

All of the reviews state the same.

EDIT: In saying that, for most things, a 200 unit will be totally fine, it's just that I've got a network drive chock full of HD movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Can you get broadband quicker than 120mb in Ireland?

150mb is the fastest private line available in ireland iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Amazon have some here: Link

That's just the first one I found, not sure if it's the cheapest.

Have been using these ones for the last year myself and find them excellent http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B007JD6LBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384071830&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+powerline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

NTMK wrote: »
    150mb is the fastest private line available in ireland iirc

200mb now, UPC increased their speeds a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok so my preorder in gamestop is guaranteed for launch night. Manager in newbridge only started ringing customers yesterday afternoon i was number 15 i preordered mid june. I was also given an option of fifa 14 or forza. Apparently day one customers have a choice to pick either game after that its whatever is left are given to customers.

The staff also said there are massive shortages of BOTH next gen consoles and they are concerned about customers gettibg mugged at the midnight launches.. btw apparently no security so drive and park right outside or bring someone with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is in no way a minus point for Xbox obviously, but speaking for myself and my OCD, this would wreck my head.

For a while anyway.

jJbXgWk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is in no way a minus point for Xbox obviously, but speaking for myself and my OCD, this would wreck my head.

For a while anyway.

jJbXgWk.jpg

I completely agree. It looks so wrong.

Ned_Flanders.png

"Looks fine-diddley-ine to me!"

You would get used to it obviously. I'm aiming for digital download of games anyway if the pricing is within €5/€10 of retail.

The extra would be worth it to me.

Haha. I'll pay more, just don't make me touch the box. I'm with you.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    You would get used to it obviously. I'm aiming for digital download of games anyway if the pricing is within €5/€10 of retail.

The extra would be worth it to me.

Getting up off the couch to change game? That's so 2005.

:)

The only problem with digital only is that due to having no stock clearance issues, the price doesn't drop as fast as in a shop. Hopefully they keep it competitive though.

I also like the option to trade, even if it is robbery.

• Advertisement

Getting up off the couch to change game? That's so 2005.

:)

The only problem with digital only is that due to having no stock clearance issues, the price doesn't drop as fast as in a shop. Hopefully they keep it competitive though.

Your damn right it's so 2005! If we can tell Kinect what to do why not the disc tray! :)
    True but at least we have the option of both ;) I am hoping they vastly improve the game selection of Games for Gold. And as all games will now be available through Live, we should hopefully be seeing more publisher sales/discounts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement