Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

brav wrote: »
    Have the prices for downloading the games been put up yet? Just wondering whether to preorder a few games, would prefer to just download them, but if they are more than €50 might just pre order online

The digital downloads will be more than €50, and more than €60. I reckon you are looking at €65 -€70 for digital downloads, same as this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The digital downloads will be more than €50, and more than €60. I reckon you are looking at €65 -€70 for digital downloads, same as this generation.

I hope not, I will be waiting for digital sales or picking physical copies as cheaply as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's why I'm not going digital, price. I'll continue to shop with Amazon and VGP until digital prices are competitive with physical copies. For PC gaming I've been 100% digital sales for a good few years now. Sony do good sales for PS+ members every month or so and there are some great deals to be snapped up, MS could learn a thing or two there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm going to stick with retail for two reasons. Pricing is likely going to make it ill advised, and secondly, depending on how much of the game you have to have downloaded/installed before you get to play, it'd be a lot faster for me to have the disc and install it than to rely on the internet connection I have. I'm talking speeds and bandwidth. The speeds are grand at times, but they can be terrible at other times. And, as for the bandwidth, just had the landlady complain about there being too much downloading, and asking us to slow it down. We're on UPC, I never had them say anything to me before which makes her talking about it odd. Have they started to clamp down in the last 1 and a half - 2 years? I was on them the three years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The Xbox One controller runs on AA batteries out of the box. If you don’t want battery life to get in the way of your play time on the Xbox One, you must purchase a $25 Play and Charge kit, which includes a rechargeable battery pack and charging cable. Either that, or you can keep your controller tethered to the console via a micro USB connection at all times. This connection will power the controller, but it won’t charge your batteries.

Exactly like it was on the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

brav wrote: »
    Have the prices for downloading the games been put up yet? Just wondering whether to preorder a few games, would prefer to just download them, but if they are more than €50 might just pre order online

They will be more than €50 that's for sure. I would say €65 to €70.

I really want to go digital for convenience but it's difficult with the high prices.

I have no data limit with UPC so them issues don't bother me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

logik wrote: »
    Exactly like it was on the 360.

Your 360 controller used micro usb?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm going to stick with retail for two reasons. Pricing is likely going to make it ill advised, and secondly, depending on how much of the game you have to have downloaded/installed before you get to play, it'd be a lot faster for me to have the disc and install it than to rely on the internet connection I have. I'm talking speeds and bandwidth. The speeds are grand at times, but they can be terrible at other times. And, as for the bandwidth, just had the landlady complain about there being too much downloading, and asking us to slow it down. We're on UPC, I never had them say anything to me before which makes her talking about it odd. Have they started to clamp down in the last 1 and a half - 2 years? I was on them the three years before that.

Weird. Is that on her connection then? Should probably ask in the broadband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    Your 360 controller used micro usb?

No, I was referring to purchasing the charge kit separately to the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Interesting rant here from 'Foxix' over on Neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89068294&postcount=657
    Shut the fcuk up, buckle the fcuk down, figure out who you're targeting, and fix this.

It will not diminish my desire to get the Xbox One but he makes some uncomfortable points....

Apologies if this has been posted before I didn't see it -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is going back to the near meltdown they had over there on Sunday as regards the Day One Patch and DRM. Some people who got the console early were reporting they could not play Ghosts offline, Penello made a comment in the thread about it and stated that the Day One Patch has nothing to do with DRM removal and it is not included at all in the console, they then started out on conspiracy theories about why the console would not work without the Day One Patch.

You can see more here

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/11/xbox-one-drm-rumours-re-surface-after-call-of-duty-ghosts-offline-issues-microsoft-replies/

Then he made these comments, which really pushed them over the edge
    "I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

Penello said Microsoft hasn't given up on a fully digital future. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/penello-people-just-werent-ready-for-all-digital-xbox-one/

It is a funny read if anyone wants to go through the whole thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Is the review/preview embargo supposed to be lifted today ? I see ign has one review of nba 2k14 online, but nothing else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yo Mamma wrote: »

It's very harsh, but I can't disagree with the "abandoning the 360" part, which I felt they did. I wanted more juicy 360 exclusives, but thy dried up. The last exclusives I played were Witcher 2 and Halo 4 which I enjoyed, but after that, I wasn't really excited by the few exclusives. For a while they were killing it with Gears, Halo, L4D, Mass Effect 2 and that's the reason I owned an Xbox, but they need to get themselves some strong exclusives this time. More than Titanfall. Something like The Last Of Us, or an Uncharted series.

It is also insulting to say what people aren't ready for, i.e an All digital future. Gamers know what they want, Jesus, most of us moan enough about things we want/don't want, and it gets things done, but maybe that's not what he meant, in his wording.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is going back to the near meltdown they had over there on Sunday as regards the Day One Patch and DRM. Some people who got the console early were reporting they could not play Ghosts offline, Penello made a comment in the thread about it and stated that the Day One Patch has nothing to do with DRM removal and it is not included at all in the console, they then started out on conspiracy theories about why the console would not work without the Day One Patch.

You can see more here

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/11/xbox-one-drm-rumours-re-surface-after-call-of-duty-ghosts-offline-issues-microsoft-replies/

Then he made these comments, which really pushed them over the edge

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/penello-people-just-werent-ready-for-all-digital-xbox-one/

In fairness, the console isn't out for another few weeks, they're within their rights to say that it isn't finished yet, and any attempt to use it before won't meet expectations. I do hate day one patches though, and especially mandatory ones.

Albert also makes some fair points about an all digital future. The main problem that I can see is with their messages around it, which was atrocious. I think that a better way to go would have been to produce two versions of the Xbox One, one with a disk drive, and one without. That way, consumers have a whole generation where they have a choice, they can purchase the console with a drive so that they can have the benefits of going to a shop, or they can purchase the cheaper drive-less Xbox One and have the benefits of an all digital ecosystem.

Just so people don't think I'm a Microsoft apologist, I'm not, I just really see the benefits in an all digital life. Netflix, Spotify, etc.

syboit wrote: »
    Is the review/preview embargo supposed to be lifted today ? I see ign has one review of nba 2k14 online, but nothing else yet.

It is supposed to be today, but not sure if it is for all games or just CoD, BF4 and NBA 2k14.

A good read, all valid points really! But probably irrelevant, because whether MS got their message across or not, all launch XBOX ones will probably sell out, (same as the PS4s), so MS will never see the error of their ways, as the dollars will be coming in regardless.

Between this and Sony's new terms and conditions, there's something on the way.

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's very harsh, but I can't disagree with the "abandoning the 360" part, which I felt they did. I wanted more juicy 360 exclusives, but thy dried up. The last exclusives I played were Witcher 2 and Halo 4 which I enjoyed, but after that, I wasn't really excited by the few exclusives. For a while they were killing it with Gears, Halo, L4D, Mass Effect 2 and that's the reason I owned an Xbox, but they need to get themselves some strong exclusives this time. More than Titanfall. Something like The Last Of Us, or an Uncharted series.

It is also insulting to say what people aren't ready for, i.e an All digital future. Gamers know what they want, Jesus, most of us moan enough about things we want/don't want, and it gets things done, but maybe that's not what he meant, in his wording.

Yes, the exclusives really dried up on the 360. I wonder how long Microsoft will keep supporting the 360 now that their new console is coming out. I remember back to the original Xbox, they couldn't drop it fast enough once the 360 was coming out.

Yes, the exclusives really dried up on the 360. I wonder how long Microsoft will keep supporting the 360 now that their new console is coming out. I remember back to the original Xbox, they couldn't drop it fast enough once the 360 was coming out.

In fairness, neither could I ;) I did have to bring my launch model back though. And pay for a memory card. They had me by the sack, back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It will not diminish my desire to get the Xbox One but he makes some uncomfortable points....

Apologies if this has been posted before I didn't see it -
    It makes very uncomfortable reading , like he said it seems to be a sub par jack of all trades. Is it a good thing ? No one will know till it's released.
    On the other hand the PS4 seems to be going the dedicated gaming console route with its extra power etc.But people are unhappy with Sony as they're removed the DNA client etc and other media features. So basically both Sony and MS are alienating their fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Between this and Sony's new terms and conditions, there's something on the way.

What was in Sony's new T&C's?

Yeah, if this is a taste of Sony in the lead, then I hope the Xbox launches as strong. Competition is always good. It is incredible how MS allowed Sony to watch up from around 2010- now. MS seemed to be putting money into securing timed exclusive DLC, while Sony were paying talented studios to come up with exclusive series. As a gamer, I couldn't ignore the PS3 any longer by 2009. But I do worry what happens if Sony decide to stop playing catch up and enter the lead. They might not be as giving as they have been up until now and become the bad guys. Time will tell.

What was in Sony's new T&C's?

Ironictoaster posted this on the PS4 thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejqSQvP4I0

In fairness, neither could I ;) I did have to bring my launch model back though. And pay for a memory card. They had me by the sack, back then!

Ah, memory cards. Brings back memories, literally. :P

Yes, the jump from Xbox to Xbox 360 was far more anticipated than this generational jump, I think because there was a belief that new types of games could only be made on the new consoles. I don't think that's quite true yet about this new generation.

Dropping the original Xbox was in totally different circumstances though. The original Xbox, while I loved it, was a bit of a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Xenji wrote: »
    It is supposed to be today, but not sure if it is for all games or just CoD, BF4 and NBA 2k14.

that will do me nicely , one track shooter mind :)
    In fairness, the console isn't out for another few weeks, they're within their rights to say that it isn't finished yet, and any attempt to use it before won't meet expectations. I do hate day one patches though, and especially mandatory ones.

Didnt the wii-u have a day one patch aswell? I remember my boys looking at this for an hour while they waited. can't remember if it was mandatory though ?

Wasn't it said before that MS had contract issues over the makers of original xbox or production had stopped anyways ? As I said before once the 360 went HD there was no going back to xbox, this time I think I can see myself using the 360 for a while longer yet alongside the XBO. (well I say that now anyways)

Dropping the original Xbox was in totally different circumstances though. The original Xbox, while I loved it, was a bit of a failure.

It was the first introduction to Xbox Live, though. I'd played Quake and Rainbow Six on Pc, online, but the sense of community with Xbox Live was very new to me. And Halo 2, like!

For people looking for a technical review of Dead Rising 3, Digital Foundry got their hands on it and did not balls it up like BF4
    With all its rough edges, Dead Rising 3's intended impact as a next-gen title is clearly dulled, but there's enough here to show early Xbox One adopters a side of the zombie-slaying experience that couldn't be achieved on current-gen hardware. The zombie count and overall world size are impressive - amplified to a previously unheard volume where interplay with vehicles ties in appropriately with this shift in scale. However, the fact remains that the game's original brief as an Xbox 360 title is still very much felt in other areas; the pared-back alpha, texture streaming issues and jagged 720p presentation giving the impression that the series' potential is still somehow being bounded.

It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city. Compared to the shaky E3 build seen just months ago this is still a respectable step forward, and of course many of the game's technical shortcomings come with the unique circumstances of meeting a hardware launch. All this amounts to an intriguing first attempt, then, but needless to say we're eager to see how Capcom Vancouver follows up on its sandbox survival-horror formula when it's given more breathing room with the deadline, more experience with the hardware, and factoring in the next-gen platform's strengths from the very start.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-dead-rising-3

This will be the first Dead Rising I don't buy. I couldn't get into the first two enough to justify getting the third. I got fairly bored after a few hours.

This will be the first Dead Rising I don't buy. I couldn't get into the first two enough to justify getting the third. I got fairly bored after a few hours.

Have DR2 sitting there at home. I have struggled to get into it. I think If I try again it could be a 4th attempt.

• Advertisement

I don't know why, but it always feels like it's stopping me from having as much fun as I'd like. For me, it never struck a good enough balance between survival and fun. I can see why others are into them, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement