Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

markad1 wrote: »
    Now I might be interested :)

Wonder what they would give for a 120GB Elite Console if anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

logik wrote: »
    Wonder what they would give for a 120GB Elite Console if anything.

They'd give you some token value for it I'd say. Like 30 quid or something that feels like an insult to you because of how much it means to you.

I think mine will be kept. Worst thing I ever did was get rid of my old consoles. I still get upset at the images of my prisitine condition N64 with Ocarina of Time being handed over to someone who didn't give the impression he looked after stuff (car was a wreck).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm planning to keep the 360 for a while - may go back to play Batman, GTA, Pro Evo for example.

Want to get shot of the PS3 - but basically every game I had amounted to about €60 from gamesnash, and I can't imagine the console is woth much (bought it in 2007 I think), so almost doesn't seem worth selling. May just keep it, or give it away to charity - Temple Street hospital, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gamestop posted this on Pinterest showing trade in deals for the Xbox One

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321937073334162770

screw em..I'd prefer to let it go cheaper to a mate than give it to gamestop.
    Sold mine with Halo 1+4, Gears of War Judgement, Ace Horizon 6 and 2 other kinect games with 320gb slim + kinect , 2 controllers and MW3 headset for €250 to a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Gamestop posted this on Pinterest showing trade in deals for the Xbox One

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321937073334162770

When it says 4 select games, any idea what games they'd accept? The brother has a slim and he might be interested in that deal as it's not bad at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I'll tell ya, I'm actually very tempted by that deal from Gamestop. Just checked the list of games and I have 2 of them, so could get it for 299.99. 200 off ain't bad especially considering I'm really not going to use it again after the 22nd.

I might even print out the list of games and see if I can pick any of them up for cheap in that entertainment exchange place to save the guts of 50.

I hate having to make big decisions like this. I used to be very decisive but now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'll tell ya, I'm actually very tempted by that deal from Gamestop. Just checked the list of games and I have 2 of them, so could get it for 299.99. 200 off ain't bad especially considering I'm really not going to use it again after the 22nd.

I might even print out the list of games and see if I can pick any of them up for cheap in that entertainment exchange place to save the guts of 50.

I hate having to make big decisions like this. I used to be very decisive but now I'm not so sure.

I've gotten so much use out of my 360, I couldn't bear to let it go, so I'm going to set it up in a different room and load it up with the US netflix or something. Also, I still have a good stash of games to get through. Out of all the launch titles, only COD ghosts is going to be holding my attention, and to be honest, if most of my friends list are playing on 360, then thats where I'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I saw this post on another site and thought it was very informative.

PS4 VS X1 comparison

The main components being compared are CPU, GPU, RAM, and BUS. This is what we know thus far, weeks from launch:

CPU:

PS4 = 8 core Jaguar processor. 1.6 GHz. 1 thread per core, and 2 ops per thread, for a total of 16 ops according to Sony.

X1 = 8 core CPU processor. 1.75 GHz. No detailed structure thus far, but Microsoft has confirmed that it performs 48ops total.

Point: X1, at the above specs, X1 CPU will have up to 3 Times the performance of PS4 CPU.

GPU:

PS4 = AMD SI based GPU. 800 MHz. Organized as 14:4 GPU: GPGPU split with 2 disabled CU’s. 1.84 Tflops of Raw performance.

X1 = AMD SI based GPU, 853 MHz. Again, no detailed structure thus far from Microsoft, but they have confirmed 768 ops per clock. 1.3 Tflops Raw performance

Point: PS4, PS4 has a 30% more raw Tflop count, as well as additional ROP’s, and ACE’s that should aid it in rendering. X1 structure has been silent as to the GPU internals it should be noted.

RAM:

PS4 = 8 GB of GDDR5. 176 GB/s Bandwidth.

X1 = 8 GB of DDR3. 68 GB/s Bandwidth + 47 MB of ODESRAM, 204 GB/s or higher Bandwidth.

Point: TIE. X1 has gone with a cheaper, faster, but more complicated route, the system should have no problem pushing around about 190-200 GB/s between the pools of ram as stated on Digital Foundry interviews, but this will come at a cost of more complicated use. The PS4 on the other hand went with a more expensive, but easier to use single pool of fast ram with a higher latency (opposed to X1's two pools, one extremely fast, one slow), but should be easier to develop for.

BUS:

PS4 = 3 Bus Pipelines. Onion, Garlic and Super Onion. These allow for HAS and Huma operations between processor and GPU in connection to the GDDR5 RAM.

X1 = 8 Bus Pipelines, 2x256 Bit Buses with 4 lanes each. One pipeline to the ODESRAM, and one to the DDR3 RAM. Additional Bus Pipelines to the CPU on both the DDR3 and the ODESRAM, as well as various Bus Pipelines to the Audio, Video, and Memory controllers and Kinect.

Point: X1, as it may be a more complicated solution with the multitude of Bus Pipelines and structures to all of these components, however the two main Pipelines are extremely robust: 2x4 lane 256 Bit Bus Pipelines will be able to move a MASSIVE amount of data while allowing the GPU/CPU to offload the work to the other systems like sound and memory.

OPTICAL DRIVE:

PS4 = BluRay

X1 = BluRay

Point: TIE. MS wised up and went with the most popular physical media currently.

HDD:

PS4 = 500 GB Removeable. 5200 RPM.

X1 = 500 GB Permanent. 7200 RPM. + 8GB Flash Memory HDD.

Point: TIE. PS4 HDD is removable, but slower. X1 is permanent, but faster, with an additional Solid State Flash Memory Drive.

EXTERNAL HDD:

PS4 = Will support after launch for storage.

X1 = Will support after launch for storage, game installation, HDD extentsion.

Point: X1, as game installation and ADD extension to external drive means it will actually be easier to increase disk space on the X1 than it will be removing the internal HDD on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

I saw this post on another site and thought it was very informative.

PS4 VS X1 comparison

The main components being compared are CPU, GPU, RAM, and BUS. This is what we know thus far, weeks from launch:

CPU:

PS4 = 8 core Jaguar processor. 1.6 GHz. 1 thread per core, and 2 ops per thread, for a total of 16 ops according to Sony.

X1 = 8 core CPU processor. 1.75 GHz. No detailed structure thus far, but Microsoft has confirmed that it performs 48ops total.

Point: X1, at the above specs, X1 CPU will have up to 3 Times the performance of PS4 CPU.

GPU:

PS4 = AMD SI based GPU. 800 MHz. Organized as 14:4 GPU: GPGPU split with 2 disabled CU’s. 1.84 Tflops of Raw performance.

X1 = AMD SI based GPU, 853 MHz. Again, no detailed structure thus far from Microsoft, but they have confirmed 768 ops per clock. 1.3 Tflops Raw performance

Point: PS4, PS4 has a 30% more raw Tflop count, as well as additional ROP’s, and ACE’s that should aid it in rendering. X1 structure has been silent as to the GPU internals it should be noted.

RAM:

X1 = 8 GB of DDR3. 68 GB/s Bandwidth + 47 MB of ODESRAM, 204 GB/s or higher Bandwidth.

Point: TIE. X1 has gone with a cheaper, faster, but more complicated route, the system should have no problem pushing around about 190-200 GB/s between the pools of ram as stated on Digital Foundry interviews, but this will come at a cost of more complicated use. The PS4 on the other hand went with a more expensive, but easier to use single pool of fast ram with a higher latency (opposed to X1's two pools, one extremely fast, one slow), but should be easier to develop for.

BUS:

PS4 = 3 Bus Pipelines. Onion, Garlic and Super Onion. These allow for HAS and Huma operations between processor and GPU in connection to the GDDR5 RAM.

X1 = 8 Bus Pipelines, 2x256 Bit Buses with 4 lanes each. One pipeline to the ODESRAM, and one to the DDR3 RAM. Additional Bus Pipelines to the CPU on both the DDR3 and the ODESRAM, as well as various Bus Pipelines to the Audio, Video, and Memory controllers and Kinect.

Point: X1, as it may be a more complicated solution with the multitude of Bus Pipelines and structures to all of these components, however the two main Pipelines are extremely robust: 2x4 lane 256 Bit Bus Pipelines will be able to move a MASSIVE amount of data while allowing the GPU/CPU to offload the work to the other systems like sound and memory.

OPTICAL DRIVE:

PS4 = BluRay

X1 = BluRay

Point: TIE. MS wised up and went with the most popular physical media currently.

HDD:

PS4 = 500 GB Removeable. 5200 RPM.

X1 = 500 GB Permanent. 7200 RPM. + 8GB Flash Memory HDD.

Point: TIE. PS4 HDD is removable, but slower. X1 is permanent, but faster, with an additional Solid State Flash Memory Drive.

EXTERNAL HDD:

PS4 = Will support after launch for storage.

X1 = Will support after launch for storage, game installation, HDD extentsion.

Point: X1, as game installation and ADD extension to external drive means it will actually be easier to increase disk space on the X1 than it will be removing the internal HDD on the PS4.

Also the PS4 BluRay won't work at launch so that's another point to Xbox, haha!

RAM:

This might be a tie from the manufacturer's point of view. But for the consumer where the cost of the RAM is a non-event (to the point the console with the more expensive RAM is considerably cheaper) it's quite firmly a PS4 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Maestro84 wrote: »

What? that sounds absurd, and something I would expect from the XBOX One at this stage, not from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People seriously shouldn't buy Ghosts.

This might be a tie from the manufacturer's point of view. But for the consumer where the cost of the RAM is a non-event (to the point the console with the more expensive RAM is considerably cheaper) it's quite firmly a PS4 win.

Microsoft went a different direction, because their UI was more sophisticated.

GGDR5 is not the best for what Microsoft planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

RE: Ghosts. Did they not say that's the way it would be, already. Or am I thinking of something different?

Sony have been very good at hiding a lot of bad information and letting MS take a battering over the last few months since the consoles were showcased.

Plenty of reduced functionality from the PS3 standards being shown such as media streaming, MP3 playing, now Day 1 blu-ray playing.

Then there was also the reserved OS RAM thing that came out to very little scrutiny after MS were lambasted for the same policy.

The disasterous PR campaign for the Xbox One really gave Sony a carte blanch for their PR campaign. All the focus was on MS who have, in fairness to them, done a lot to recover some ground.

Microsoft went a different direction, because their UI was more sophisticated.

GGDR5 is not the best for what Microsoft planned.

How so. Can you explain why the same amount of RAM with twice the bandwidth could ever not be the best for what is essentially a closed-spec gaming PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Once you install the day-one patch, it will work at launch. It does not support 3D Blu-rays at launch.

Nothing will work on the Xbox without a day one patch, let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ssshhh. Best not to go down that road, because the Xbox One won't play games without the Day One update either.

We'll call it a draw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Grayditch wrote: »
    RE: Ghosts. Did they not say that's the way it would be, already. Or am I thinking of something different?

Different I'd guess. I thought that ps4 ghosts was supposed to be 1080p accross the board. Will have to go back and read the ign/polygon reviews again, I thought they said 1080p!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Pushtrak wrote: »
    People seriously shouldn't buy Ghosts.
    I actually liked the campaign in it and think it is the best COD campaign since the first MW. The multiplayer is not even close to BF4 alright and with only 2 player split screen now instead of 4 there really isn't any point in picking it over BF anymore, but I have played games that are a lot worse than it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

And now we know that the PS4 has a pretty choppy framerate.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-call-of-duty-offers-better-framerate-than-ps4-1463163114

Framerate drops in MP is unforgivable imho. If that's the case, I'd take the One version (or even the 360 version) any day of the week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Benzino wrote: »
    Once you install the day-one patch, it will work at launch. It does not support 3D Blu-rays at launch.

Considering that the Xbox One won't even turn on without a day one patch, that's not a plus point in Microsofts favour.

How so. Can you explain why the same amount of RAM with twice the bandwidth could ever not be the best for what is essentially a closed-spec gaming PC?

How is 204gb/s double of 176gb/s ?

syboit wrote: »
    Different I'd guess. I thought that ps4 ghosts was supposed to be 1080p accross the board. Will have to go back and read the ign/polygon reviews again, I thought they said 1080p!!!

Right, my bad, I thought it was saying the Xbox was 720... again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Grayditch wrote: »
    Right, my bad, I thought it was saying the Xbox was 720... again.

lol, we'll have it back down to 360 by the time we finish :D

What I dont understand is, if the single player on ps4 is 720p, why would they release multiplayer in 1080p and have it "choppy". Surely 900p like BF might have been better.

for those you say inifinity ward are gone to the dogs, take a ticket and get in line.

How is 204gb/s double of 176gb/s ?

It isn't. But as per the comparison he posted up 176GB/s is more than double 68GB/s.
    RAM:

X1 = 8 GB of DDR3. 68 GB/s Bandwidth

But the ESRAM brings the Bandwidth up to 204gb/s or higher on the XboxOne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    Considering that the Xbox One won't even turn on without a day one patch, that's not a plus point in Microsofts favour.

But nor will the PS4. It also needs a day one patch, confirmed by Sony and reported on Eurogamer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement