Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's probably best to leave the PS4/Xbox debate lads... all been said before.

Just curious, any idea when reviews for the likes of Forza and Dead Rising are appearing or did I miss them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

tok9 wrote: »
    It's probably best to leave the PS4/Xbox debate lads... all been said before.

Just curious, any idea when reviews for the likes of Forza and Dead Rising are appearing or did I miss them?

yup, and I haven't seen any XBO BF4 update either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

How so. Can you explain why the same amount of RAM with twice the bandwidth could ever not be the best for what is essentially a closed-spec gaming PC?

The device will run three operating systems: Xbox OS an OS based on the Windows kernel, and another OS that will allow the other two operating systems to communicate by virtualisation (as a hypervisor). Such integration will include features like snapped Skype calls while in game

DDR3 is better for the console's OS. There is a reason PC's use this kind of ram for the operating system.

GDDR5 is video/Graphic type of memory not great for what Microsoft had planned like i said.

These two links explain it better than i ever could!

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-dev-gddr5-is-uncomfortable-to-work-with-esram-provides-high-bandwidth-at-low-power

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

But the ESRAM brings the Bandwidth up to 204gb/s or higher on the XboxOne.

Theoretically and very selectively in a very specific set of circumstances.

But when comparing your bog-standard motherboard RAM, the PS4 has a clear advantage and calling it a tie on the basis of the cost of the RAM is bollox given that the dearer RAM is in the cheaper console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

syboit wrote: »
    yup, and I haven't seen any XBO BF4 update either

X360A.org have BF4 and Ghosts XBOX ONE reviews up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

But the ESRAM brings the Bandwidth up to 204gb/s or higher on the XboxOne.

That is not technically true. That 204 Gb/s is ONLY true if it were possible to read and write at the exact same time, all of the time which is not possible. And is is only the ESRAM that can achieve the 204 Gb/s. The DDR3 will create a bottle neck so to speak.

True X1 throughput is in the region of 139 Gb/s. While the PS4 is in the region of 178 Gb/s.

The 204 Gb/s that was mentioned by the Microsoft engineers was an attempt the limit the damage that Sony have made on the X1.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And now we know that the PS4 has a pretty choppy framerate.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-call-of-duty-offers-better-framerate-than-ps4-1463163114

Framerate drops in MP is unforgivable imho. If that's the case, I'd take the One version (or even the 360 version) any day of the week.

What i don't get is reviewers also claimed the PS4 version, single player dropped frames, but the XB1 version ran fine.

If both run at 720p, single player. Why is the PS4 version struggling more?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

And PC... I think the answer is the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The multiplayer is 1080p, and can't seem to hack it.

This doesn't explain why the PC version is the worst of all versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Most likely because the games were developed for the NEXT GEN consoles. The developers have simply ported the games for the Current Gen and the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't think any talent is left at infinity ward. Odd that they are still claiming it runs at 1080 SP for PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It seems this needs to be re-iterated again and again...
    Otacon wrote: »
    Infinity Ward lost all of their best talent, mostly to Respawn but also to other teams. Hence the crappy COD we are now getting. Treyarch's entry next year should be a marked improvement... though, you know... still COD.

EDIT: Well, it did before RasTa's post... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to use the ESRAM to get high framerates when using deferred rendering, and you need store multiple images such as the albedo/diffuse, normal, z-buffer etc in the framebuffer for the geometry pass and then apply lights in combination to other effects such as specular, bump, roughness. Lights might need multiple passes. This does not include render targets for reflections, mirrors etc. This data can be packed wherever only 8bits are needed, (so you could store 3 layers in one 24bit image). So, either you lower the resolution of any of these, or use less of them, or swap them to the DDR3 for a performance hit. Lowering the resolution is usually the first thing done, as it reduces swapping and increases the amount of tricks you can do with deferred rendering.

This is the huge issue that Xbox-One has. The ESRAM is slower than the GDDR5, no amount of maths will make up that gap, you don't add the two of them up, you take the fastest only. Fancy bitpacking and compression will be the optimisations that will be made, but the PS4 doesn't need to do this. The GDDR5 wipes the floor with the Xbox solution.

As for 48 ops for the XboxOne cpu vs 16 for PS4, that's a number magic'd out of thin air. The clock speed advantage is the only one.

And the GPU in the PS4 has an 50% advantage over the Xbox, this coupled with faster and larger RAM, means the Xbox will be running to stand still.

Its only a rumour, it hasn't been confirmed by Infinity award. A reviewer said it looked like 720p to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

latest snap demo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xbox One Q&A with Albert Penello | GameStop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Its only a rumour, it hasn't been confirmed by Infinity award. A reviewer said it looked like 720p to him.

Activision have said themselves that it is at 720p, it hasn't been a rumour for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Xbox One Q&A with Albert Penello | GameStop
    One of the best line-ups in the history of a console launch

Ah, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, here.

Wouldn't agree about line up for either but the interest and preorders are probably better than anything outside an apple product.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Varik wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree about line up for either but the interest and preorders are probably better than anything outside an apple product.
    Have to say I was more excited for PDZ, Call of Duty 2, PGR3 and NFS on the 360 launch.

Call of Duty 2 is still probably my favourite gaming experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone know when the embargo for the rest of the launch games ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xenji wrote: »
    Anyone know when the embargo for the rest of the launch games ends?

i thought it was yesterday....

i thought it was yesterday....

That was only for CoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I think I read somewhere it was the 15th, I might be mistaken on that though so don't take it as certain.

Varik wrote: »
    Activision have said themselves that it is at 720p, it hasn't been a rumour for a long while.

No they claimed Ghosts was running 1080p native., even today.

https://twitter.com/InfinityWard/status/400643252518260736

Neogaf seems to disagree and they too say the videos show PS4 single player running at 720p.

I don't know what to think and beyond caring at this point! Can't wait till next week.

dor83 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere it was the 15th, I might be mistaken on that though so don't take it as certain.

Yeah that was the date I had seen bandied about, but have not heard anything since, will just have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Neogaf seems to disagree and they too say the videos show PS4 single player running at 720p.

I don't know how that could be determined from a video, could you tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Well you look at the video, count individual dots (however it doesn't work on retina display where you don't see individual dots) and there it is .. 720 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

He countef the pixels... lol

Who cares what either system does only one will have titanfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement