Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I hate these ad's they make me cringe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't know how that could be determined from a video, could you tell me?

From a video? I'm not sure of that, but from a direct feed image, it's possible. This example dates all the way back to Halo 3 (remember the scandal about that?). See here.

Essentially, some sad sad individual counts the pixels in an image and sees if it matches with the resolution, i.e. 720p, 1080p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CatInABox wrote: »
    From a video? I'm not sure of that, but from a direct feed image, it's possible. This example dates all the way back to Halo 3 (remember the scandal about that?). See here.

Essentially, some sad sad individual counts the pixels in an image and sees if it matches with the resolution, i.e. 720p, 1080p

Ahhh, counting pixels from a direct feed makes sense...but counting pixels in a video of a feed, now that's just daft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He countef the pixels... lol

Who cares what either system does only one will have titanfall

PS4 has Knack so they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Turns out Ghosts single player is 720p on PS4 afterall. Day one patch to increase to 1080p.

I mean, what the hell is going on at IW these days.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-13-day-one-patch-makes-call-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

PS4 has Knack so they win.

You mean Knack thats getting awful reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Way to lure in fanboys, so a mod can tell them to stop, and you can thank his post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

There's so much needless emphasis on the graphics capability of the Xbox. Yes some games will have lower resolution textures compared to the PS4, however the additional features that the Xbox has brought make it a truly next gen console and not just the next model up with better graphics

Mario Galaxy was better than a lot of games in the last gen, and the was what, 480p? I think some people are just concerned about the power of their next gen console, but they're worrying about it based on game that looks a bit poop anyway. I know the genres are different, but look at Forza, for jaysus sake. It's slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Stuart085 wrote: »
    There's so much needless emphasis on the graphics capability of the Xbox. Yes some games will have lower resolution textures compared to the PS4, however the additional features that the Xbox has brought make it a truly next gen console and not just the next model up with better graphics

There is some truth to your statement but don't let the other features haze the fact the Microsoft missed a beat this time around and they know it. They were expecting the PS4 to have 4GB of GDDR5 which would have put both consoles on a more level playing field.

When Sony announced they were upping to 8GB due to the cost reductions in RAM, Microsoft shat themselves and have been trying to play catch up.

Yes the Xbox has some cool stuff that I will like and yes, graphics are not everything but I can't help be feel a little let down at the gap seen so far.

I do however think as I have said before, we will see the resolution on the X1 move to 900p and finally 1080p as developers get their head around the architecture of the X1.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    There is some truth to your statement but don't let the other features haze the fact the Microsoft missed a beat this time around and they know it. They were expecting the PS4 to have 4GB of GDDR5 which would have put both consoles on a more level playing field.

When Sony announced they were upping to 8GB due to the cost reductions in RAM, Microsoft shat themselves and have been trying to play catch up.

Yes the Xbox has some cool stuff that I will like and yes, graphics are not everything but I can't help be feel a little let down at the gap seen so far.

I do however think as I have said before, we will see the resolution on the X1 move to 900p and finally 1080p as developers get their head around the architecture of the X1.

Perhaps, but with the lack of memory bandwidth, it's resolution or quality of graphics. It'll never be on par without a hardware upgrade and if they did that forcing everyone to upgrade, it would be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So the resolution debate is back..

G35H

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So the resolution debate is back..

I'm not debating. I'm personally buying an Xbox one.

Perhaps, but with the lack of memory bandwidth, it's resolution or quality of graphics. It'll never be on par without a hardware upgrade and if they did that forcing everyone to upgrade, it would be catastrophic

You can forget about hardware upgrading, its never going to happen. All we can do is wait and see what the developers can do in the coming months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Giblet wrote: »
    Turns out Ghosts single player is 720p on PS4 afterall. Day one patch to increase to 1080p.

I mean, what the hell is going on at IW these days.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-13-day-one-patch-makes-call-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

It's pretty clear to me that, despite the massive sales that COD ghosts will pick up, Infinity Ward should be taken off the AAA developers list, as they just can't cut it any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

It's pretty clear to me that, despite the massive sales that COD ghosts will pick up, Infinity Ward should be taken off the AAA developers list, as they just can't cut it any more.

I should just ignore this, but, how is Ghosts going to run better at 1080p when its having issues at 720p

I beginning to think Infinity Ward doesn't want people cancelling their pre-orders for this game on the PS4 and will even lie to achieve this.

I'll change my mind if the game runs better at 1080p, maybe, but they've still lied about the game being 1080p on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes we will......................on launch day with Forza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Giblet wrote: »
    You need to use the ESRAM to get high framerates when using deferred rendering, and you need store multiple images such as the albedo/diffuse, normal, z-buffer etc in the framebuffer for the geometry pass and then apply lights in combination to other effects such as specular, bump, roughness. Lights might need multiple passes. This does not include render targets for reflections, mirrors etc. This data can be packed wherever only 8bits are needed, (so you could store 3 layers in one 24bit image). So, either you lower the resolution of any of these, or use less of them, or swap them to the DDR3 for a performance hit. Lowering the resolution is usually the first thing done, as it reduces swapping and increases the amount of tricks you can do with deferred rendering.

This is the huge issue that Xbox-One has. The ESRAM is slower than the GDDR5, no amount of maths will make up that gap, you don't add the two of them up, you take the fastest only. Fancy bitpacking and compression will be the optimisations that will be made, but the PS4 doesn't need to do this. The GDDR5 wipes the floor with the Xbox solution.

As for 48 ops for the XboxOne cpu vs 16 for PS4, that's a number magic'd out of thin air. The clock speed advantage is the only one.

And the GPU in the PS4 has an 50% advantage over the Xbox, this coupled with faster and larger RAM, means the Xbox will be running to stand still.

Seriously, what do you do, were you my graphics professor in UCC :)

I should just ignore this, but, how is Ghosts going to run better at 1080p when its having issues at 720p

I beginning to think Infinity Ward doesn't want people cancelling their pre-orders for this game on the PS4 and will even lie to achieve this.

I'll change my mind if the game runs better at 1080p, maybe, but they've still lied about the game being 1080p on PS4

Are you replying to the right post? I'm just not sure what it has to do with mine, seeing as I was complaining about IW.

Aside from that, in all the reviews that I read, the frame rate complaints were levelled at the multi-player section of the game. Perhaps the reason that there was no complaints about the single player section of the game is due to the fact that it was being rendered at 720p, meaning that all those PS4 reviews were not reviewing the final product. Either way, all of those reviews are now suspect.

Really shoddy from IW. I lost a lot of respect when the Respawn guys left, but this is seriously something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

With how they've played it so far, all bets are off. I wouldn't be surprised if it had gameboy graphics next :P

• Advertisement

In fairness, Battlefield is infinatey better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Are you replying to the right post? I'm just not sure what it has to do with mine, seeing as I was complaining about IW.

Aside from that, in all the reviews that I read, the frame rate complaints were levelled at the multi-player section of the game. Perhaps the reason that there was no complaints about the single player section of the game is due to the fact that it was being rendered at 720p, meaning that all those PS4 reviews were not reviewing the final product. Either way, all of those reviews are now suspect.

Really shoddy from IW. I lost a lot of respect when the Respawn guys left, but this is seriously something else.

It was not directed at you. I'm just frustrated with this COD Ghosts resolution debate, its never ending lol.

These reviews are from last week, the PS4 version single player had issues at 720p.

With optimisation this might be fixed on the PS4, but i would not bet any money on it, but there is always a chance they'll do something right this time?

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

IGN: “On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4.”

Joystiq: ”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.

It was not directed at you. I'm just frustrated with this COD Ghosts resolution debate, its never ending lol.

These reviews are from last week, the PS4 version single player had issues at 720p.

With optimisation this might be fixed on the PS4, but i would not bet any money on it, but there is always a chance they'll do something right this time?

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

IGN: “On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4.”

Joystiq: ”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

I went to NeoGaf to find the original thread, and here's the analysis from the guy that discovered it:
    Quaz51 wrote:
    My analyse
    Ghost seem:

Solo (more heavy, FX, post-process):
    720p on Xone and 720p on PS4 with more stable framerate

Multi:
    720p on Xone and 1080p on PS4 with more unstable framerate

That's from here. (This is also me acknowledging that Gaf is a legitimate source, it took me a while)

I doubt the frame rate is going to get any better, and if IW does put the effort in to improve the frame rate, they should put the effort on all consoles.

What a mess.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Its all happening on Neogaf at the moment.
    2 threads created over faulty PS4 units in the US. Winners from a TacoBell competition unable to play their PS4.

It also seems legit. Op posts pictures etc

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715057&page=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056847661

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Grayditch wrote: »

I don't want that link. I was merely pointing out some early issues with the rival console, something which will likely rear it's head on the Xbox side also. I would hope not but no tech/software is perfect, especially at launch. I just want no repeat of the 360 launch, and while the X1 has a large casing to avoid any overheating issues, it is still susceptible to software issues.

In fairness, Battlefield is infinatey better.

Except that it is hopelessly broken this time around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Except that it is hopelessly broken this time around :(

Ya its a bit of a mess at the moment on the 360 anyways.
    Pop in textures all over the place, pixelated backgrounds, no sound online for 60 seconds after starting a match, hanging loading MP matches, the list goes on...

All these are very annoying, but I'd still play it over CoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Xbox One video demonstrates user customisation

Xbox One wants your dashboard to reflect you – the kinds of games and entertainment you access, and a bit of your personality, as well. See how you and the console work together to achieve this in the demonstration video through the break.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Pop in textures all over the place, pixelated backgrounds, no sound online for 60 seconds after starting a match, hanging loading MP matches, the list goes on...

Its the same across all platforms to be honest. There are a list of bugs the length of my arm. Its just such a rushed launch, real let down. We are entering our 4th week and still no client side patch for 360 or PS3. The PC gets its first client side patch today which addresses alot of the crash bugs but there is just so much broken with the game. Such a shame, I loved BC2 and BF3, after 2 maps of BF4 the games crashes and I just turn it off, not bothered restarting the console. So annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I haven't experienced any of that and neither have the guys I play with...

You might have a bad install. I'd try reinstalling the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement