Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Achilles wrote: »
    So I checked out the Xbox One last night at the event in the Ambassador...

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. Forza 4 looked nice graphically but to be perfectly honest with you it's more of the same.

I definitely didn't have the same jump in the gaming experience that I had going from Xbox to Xbox 360 or from PS2 to PS3.

Seems like they're releasing it just for the sake of it. Killer Instinct was fun but that was about it. COD:Ghosts and BF4 was just more of the same with slightly better graphics.

Very underwhelmed imho.

Same here (although I`ll still get one next friday for a multitude of silly reasons)

Was a little disappointed that we couldn`t get to play around with the non-gaming side of the machine. I wanted to see first-hand how voice commands work and the other new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Isn't Killer Instinct F2P anyway?
    Yeah, it is. But going by some of the titles they were giving away on 360, I'm fairly sure that it's the sort of thing that will happen at least initially on Games for Gold on Xbox One.
    Mr. Freeze wrote:
    Thought the embargo end was today?
    Probably today US time, to try to steal some headline space from the news of the PS4 launch in the US today ... or hide some average reviews behind the avalanche of nest of the PS4 Launch in the US today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Looking forward to getting back into Fifa and Killer Instinct. Loved that game when I was a wee un..
    Forza looks impressive but not sure if I'd get the time to play it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Forza 5 lads. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Grayditch wrote: »
    This would be more up my alley than Dead Rising.

The map at the start looks identical to a MW3 or 2 map.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-soYsdkw260
    Holy Crap ... Mirror's Edge meets Dead Rising / Walking Dead. Where do I sign up???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Holy Crap ... Mirror's Edge meets Dead Rising / Walking Dead. Where do I sign up???

It does look amazing alright. Very fluid for a PRE Alpha release. The night time parts would be proper freeky too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Achilles wrote: »
    So I checked out the Xbox One last night at the event in the Ambassador...

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. Forza 4 looked nice graphically but to be perfectly honest with you it's more of the same.

I definitely didn't have the same jump in the gaming experience that I had going from Xbox to Xbox 360 or from PS2 to PS3.

Seems like they're releasing it just for the sake of it. Killer Instinct was fun but that was about it. COD:Ghosts and BF4 was just more of the same with slightly better graphics.

Very underwhelmed imho.

We're now at the point where diminishing returns really kick in with graphics. Sure, the hardware is now more powerful than ever before*, but the required skill to utilize that hardware to get it to output the graphics that consumers now expect from AAA titles is higher than ever.

To be honest, I think that what all the developers have done is incredible. Developing a high quality game for a console that only had finalised specs a few months ago, with an operating system that was only finalised this week? That's the stuff of nightmares.

It's clear that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are at their technological limits, and have fulfilled all their possible potential. That's why a new generation is required, to give developers new potential. I'm not buying an Xbox One for the launch games, I'm buying it for the potential that will be realised over the next few years.

Who knows what developers will come up with once they get used to have free dedicated servers, the power of the cloud (which is going to be a massive factor in this generation, regardless of the opinion on the internet), and a bundled Kinect 2.

I'm looking forward to what Sony and Microsoft have to show us over the next few years.

*I'm talking consoles only here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Didn't people think something similar about Dead Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

anyone know where i could now get a day one release console or is that a no go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Tesco or argos on the day, they don't take reservations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

allanb49 wrote: »
    anyone know where i could now get a day one release console or is that a no go

for some reason I remember reading this in another thread, thinking surely not for this gen.

"This thread it really going to really kick off soon when the panic sets in with realization that people should have pre ordered months ago! It will be like people banging on the door of a bomb shelter trying to get in!"

I think it was also mentioned a few pages back that argos won't have them on the 22nd but a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Tesco will have limited numbers in all stores, I Messaged them on Facebook, so anyone with no pre orders, that's the place to be Thursday night or Friday morning depending on store times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm buying it for the potential that will be realised over the next few years.
    If this gen should have taught any lessons, surely it is {should be} this: Be wary of launch versions of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CombatCow wrote: »
    Tesco or argos on the day, they don't take reservations.

Argos will not have any till the 9th of December according to 2mad2bemad, but he said it could be a mistake and would let us know more when he know.
    Just a little update for anyone who has not pre ordered or anyone whos planning on doing a walk in style for consoles

Checked the argos delivery system today

for xbox ones the total units to be sent and divided accross all stores in Ireland/dublin is 613 (it didnt specify if it was all of ireland or just county dublin
    Also it says they wont be delievered to any store until the 9th December , now whether this is a glitch or someone just entered the wrong date for delievery I won't know more until early next week
    Like I said this really only matters for walk ins
    also its unclear if its day one editions or fifa/forza bundles or just standard ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not sure if anyone here is getting on of these, but this is what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

If that was a robot other than a statue, I would definately have got it :/

-Toppy- wrote: »
    If that was a robot other than a statue, I would definately have got it :/

If that was a robot other than a statue, you would be able to afford it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i'm still wary about the lauch day stuff but at the same time i got to play around yesterday. more than likely i won't get it on launch day but have a bonus in my wages this month and would be a nice treat.

Plus i want my day one achievement.

Also i think MS have turned around the debacle that had me skepticle at launch.

The PR spin has been good damage control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

i'm still wary about the lauch day stuff but at the same time i got to play around yesterday. more than likely i won't get it on launch day but have a bonus in my wages this month and would be a nice treat.

I will be waiting aswell until after christmas before picking it up. I want to let the consoles hit the market and see where everything is. Let others be the guinea pigs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Plus i want my day one achievement.

you mean I get an Achievement just for buying the ONE. Great. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I expect their to be some hardware issues on the first few waves of consoles but just had to get one on day one. Gaming for me has been boring this year apart from GTA V, so I need something.

But apart of me thinks that the XboxOne might not have any hardware issues considering the RROD thing on the 360 cost them $1 billion. Lessons learned and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

ShaunC wrote: »
    you mean I get an Achievement just for buying the ONE. Great. :rolleyes:
    Isn't the achievement only for the day one editions?

I'm probably wrong :s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

wexdevil wrote: »
    Isn't the achievement only for the day one editions?
    It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I expect their to be some hardware issues on the first few waves of consoles but just had to get one on day one. Gaming for me has been boring this year apart from GTA V, so I need something.

GTA5, Batman, Last of Us, Bio Shock and Tomb Raider.

Best year I can remember for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Reviews out from Monday according to ign with forza on Wednesday and ryse on Thursday. Suspicious that being held until last minute! Bound to be poorly reviewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It is.

Yep, I'm still getting the achievement, GameStop No. 5 on the list (June 20th pre-order):P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Just watched a few YouTube videos of the xbox one and in fairness it looks unbelievable, hopefully it works as well in reality as it does in the videos.

The kinect looks awesome. Really think I might actually buy this before Xmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement