Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

bush wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Xtra vision are renting next gen games from launch?, the prices of next gen games are ridiculous.

Amazon is your best bet for new releases under €60

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mind me asking where?

No not at all. I prebooked in xtravision in enniscorthy in Wexford. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No not at all. I prebooked in xtravision in enniscorthy in Wexford. :)

Cheers. Didn't think Xvision would be still taking pre-orders at this stage. Probably just that store in particular :(

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Cheers. Didn't think Xvision would be still taking pre-orders at this stage. Probably just that store in particular :(

Argos might be your best chance of getting one at this stage. From what they've told me, stores will have a very small amount each on the day. Still undecided if I want to get one or wait till next year when I think there'll be a better deal when buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The two guys working there today said they were getting an order on the 22nd and the 6th. Seemed to be like there was a good few left for the second delivery. I'd just try your local xtravision and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still undecided if I want to get one or wait till next year when I think there'll be a better deal when buying one.

No way is the price of the X1 going to drop in the space of 1 year. It will still be in high demand and MS need to recoup as much as possible from higher profit margins.

No console has had a price drop in it's first year, except the struggling WiiU, retailers couldn't shift them quick enough.

No way is the price of the X1 going to drop in the space of 1 year. It will still be in high demand and MS need to recoup as much as possible from higher profit margins.

No console has had a price drop in it's first year, except the struggling WiiU, retailers couldn't shift them quick enough.

If I'd got fifa or forza at launch with it then I'd get it but I couldn't pre order not knowing if I'd have the cash. You think if ps4 is outselling it say, 3 to 1 that Xbox One won't have a better deal come April May? I'm not saying 100 off but coming with a game at a decent price to sell more consoles. I can't see them leaving it as 500 and then 65 a game for a whole year with poor sales compared with their main rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be paying for an Elderscrolls subscription as soon as I'm sure the game has settled down and isn't broken.

So never then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Probably. I won't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can't see there being a deal, next year, regardless of how many it ships compared to the ps4, it's still in very high demand. Why would they cut costs when the supply can't meet the demand as it is. Wii u got a price cut cause they were sitting on shelves gathering dust. reckon your best chance is free forza or fifa at launch and after that they might pack in discount codes for downloadable titles.

• Advertisement

Can't see there being a deal, next year, regardless of how many it ships compared to the ps4, it's still in very high demand. Why would they cut costs when the supply can't meet the demand as it is. Wii u got a price cut cause they were sitting on shelves gathering dust. reckon your best chance is free forza or fifa at launch and after that they might pack in discount codes for downloadable titles.

Supply can't meet the demands as supply for both consoles is very limited due to both being very rushed. We'll see once there's a lot more stock in the coming months.

MS don't make profit from the consoles. They make their profit from the games, subscriptions, MS points, and other purchases.

That's where the profit is to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MS don't make profit from the consoles. They make their profit from the games, subscriptions, MS points, and other purchases.

MS couldn't turn a profit on the original machine, despite 7 revisions. They were making a profit on the 360 after about a year and a half. It was engineered that way. Also a major reason for RROD and the subsequent huge write down but on a per unit basis, they make money. I'd imagine the One will become profitable just as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Not so this time around - the original Xbox was built from off the shelf components and therefor very expensive to produce and they made a loss on each unit (which is another reason they didn't mind killing it off so quickly).

The Xbox 360 became profitable per unit very quickly (I think I saw 18 months mentioned somewhere).

For this generation, Microsoft are trying to take a leaf from Nintendo's book and break even or make a profit on hardware too.
    Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi has revealed that each sale of an Xbox One will be a break even transaction for Microsoft at the very least, suggesting that the machine is to be sold at profit from day one - a feat normally reserved for Nintendo.
    link:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-05-xbox-one-will-be-break-even-or-profit-making-from-launch

As that is financial information that could affect the performance of the company stock, they cant just use it as PR spin to try and sound good.

Also, how long was the PS3 sold ata much higher price even though it was being outsold by Xbox 360 before the slim revision was released and the price started to come down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I really can't see there being a price cut in the near fututre at all to be honest. It will probably be sold out into the new year, and then in March Titanfall will more than likely spur a new wave of purchases. I can't see the price difference making much of a difference until Christmas next year at the earliest when there is a more ready supply and people will be able to legitimately choose. There might be bundles or something similar made then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Fúckin hell that box is massive, guess that's not fitting in Parcel Motel. Thankfully not too far from Finglas. Eeeeeeeeeep it's getting close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

microsoft money coming out of my account , hopefully they will ship for friday , interesting that a week a go even though i really enjoyed the first dead rising , i wasn't interested in getting it but now seeing the generally good reviews its now on my list to get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

MS couldn't turn a profit on the original machine, despite 7 revisions. They were making a profit on the 360 after about a year and a half. It was engineered that way. Also a major reason for RROD and the subsequent huge write down but on a per unit basis, they make money. I'd imagine the One will become profitable just as quickly.

The delayed profit the Microsoft experienced with the 360 is directly related to the major issues seen with the console. That cost Microsoft millions both with replacement 360's and redesigning the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Also, how long was the PS3 sold ata much higher price even though it was being outsold by Xbox 360 before the slim revision was released and the price started to come down?

Yep and thats what Sony management regrets a lot, they say it was huge mistake to come on market with this price ..

So that Sony didn't go down with price doesn't mean it's right for Microsoft.

At least with PS3 it wasn't so clear if it's more powerful or not + most people thought it is + it had blueray

There isn't much to justify higher price of xBox one (Kinect maybe, but than it's less powerful than PS4) .. So I would say if they want to keep selling them after Christmas (sold out now, poeple before Chiristmas buy anything) they have to go down with price ...

Now I don't mean to be PS4 fan ... Just saying if they go down with price they get the money back in games and xbox live very quickly so they would be stupid to slow down sales of xbox only because of 100 dollars ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Xbox One controller prototypes include scent system, projectors, touch pad
    Xbox One’s control pad doesn’t look that different from the Xbox 360′s, but Microsoft tried all sorts of weird and wacky ideas while prototyping it.

In an extensive feature on VentureBeat, Xbox general manager for accessories Zulfi Alam said Microsoft built “hundreds” of models.

“We looked at concepts like adding displays to the controller. We looked at concepts like adding smell. We built small slugs of different types of smells that could actually come out of a controller. Like, as you walked through a jungle, you’d smell the flora,” he said.

Microsoft also tried touch pads, speakers and cameras, but found the concepts distracting from the core experience and difficult to engineer.

“You’ve got a great TV with a better speaker than we could ever put in this controller, and it made more sense to [not make players look down at a display], keeping the user’s attention on the TV. We really want them to be immersed in the experience that’s happening in front of them. You’re burning battery life like there’s no tomorrow – not a great idea,” Alam explained.

Microsoft also considered displays, including projectors that would beam visual around the player, but again, felt it was distracting and a battery drain.

The platform holder spent “hundreds of millions” of dollars on the control pad alone.

“I don’t want to go into specifics, but it’s over $100 million for sure. Between the tooling of the device, the investments we made in process technology, and the engineering work that went into it, we invested a lot to get this thing right,” Alam said.

Just getting the face buttons to appear as they do cost millions of dollars, apparently; and Microsoft isn’t so rich that it considers this small change.

“It’s not a drop in the bucket. For any company, when you spend that much money, you have to make sure that the output is amazing. This team bet its careers on this. We were all in,” Alam said.

“When we went in and said we wanted to do this, we didn’t anticipate it was going to be tweaking a little bit of plastic here or there. That was not the intent. My management team said, ‘Either you’re going to make changes, and you’re going to believe in the changes you make, and you’re going to make sure that they’re amazing – or you’re not touching this thing.’”

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/18/the-xbox-one-controller-projectors-smells-and-other-stuff-that-didnt-make-it-in-part-1-exclusive/2/#vb-gallery:2:861588

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The only reason I'd ever like a screen on the controller would be for a map I can glance at and maybe zoom on. With Smartglass I'll hopefully be able to use my phone or tablet for that which would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The only reason I'd ever like a screen on the controller would be for a map I can glance at and maybe zoom on. With Smartglass I'll hopefully be able to use my phone or tablet for that which would be super.

If we are talking about a simple screen on the controller, I would also like to see HUD details move onto such a screen, freeing up the main display for more pretty pictures...

If it is a touchscreen, inventory management and general menu traversal would be much easier with one. Keyboard input would also be simple and easy.

The day any sort of screen is placed on my controller is the day i give up gaming.

No thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The day any sort of screen is placed on my controller is the day i give up gaming.

No thanks.

Careful there mate. Don't know how much more jerking that knee could take.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No thanks.

Haters, gon' hate.
    dreamcast_controller_by_banjosonic_th-d2otbym.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

anyone who ordered from amazon , this may be yours , shipping today

phpf2xp2y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Does the xbox one have a power brick? or is that completely gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Power brick is still there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Does the xbox one have a power brick? or is that completely gone now?

Very much still there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement