Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

So, are there any aspects of the XBOX One, apart from playing games, that it will perform on launch over here?
    It'll make you a nice cup a tae.

Disclaimer: It will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

So, are there any aspects of the XBOX One, apart from playing games, that it will perform on launch over here?

there should be internet browser , in 1080p (but not confirmed yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

You will have IE, Xbox Video, Xbox Music. You will have certain apps if you check xbox.com it will tell you which ones, while it will also have the snap capability. That's what comes to mind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I dont know why it would be region locked over here.

If you go to 50 seconds into this video, the chap picks English as his language and 6 countries come up including Ireland.

Strange decision if it is region locked here.

Xbox On will only work in 5 countries UK, Canada, France, and Germany

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/29/xbox-one-kinect-voice-commands-languages-launch/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nolimits wrote: »
    Xbox On will only work in 5 countries UK, Canada, France, and Germany

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/29/xbox-one-kinect-voice-commands-languages-launch/

There is nothing stopping someone here setting their system to English UK.

• Advertisement

There is nothing stopping someone here setting their system to English UK.

And if we were to do that would we need an English credit/debit card to buy stuff?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And if we were to do that would we need an English credit/debit card to buy stuff?

I doubt it, you're just changing the system language not the region of the live account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Battlefield 4, Operation Metro 2.0 on the X1 Looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I doubt it, you're just changing the system language not the region of the live account.

But the language is tied to the region, and due to different dialects Ireland isn't going to be using the same English as the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

But the language is tied to the region, and due to different dialects Ireland isn't going to be using the same English as the UK.

What about people who live in a different country to their native language? Eg a German living in Ireland? People are overthinking this I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What about people who live in a different country to their native language? Eg a German living in Ireland? People are overthinking this I reckon.

There isn't much to overthink.
    http://i.imgur.com/mlBxBmq.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

I must be one of the few who has no care for any of this stuff. I buy the machine to play games. No more, no less.

Would rather all this 'stuff' was removed and a greater GPU added.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I must be one of the few who has no care for any of this stuff. I buy the machine to play games. No more, no less.

Would rather all this 'stuff' was removed and a greater GPU added.

Then you would have the console that cannot be named.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

weeeeeeellllll :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Nah.

XBL is superior and that's what i use.

Wouldn't say no to a stronger GPU at the expense of kinect disappearing.

That's all i'm saying. Don't be so sensitive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There isn't much to overthink.
    http://i.imgur.com/mlBxBmq.png

That's just retarded. Surely having a different ui language is a very important point. I work with lots of polish lads and they all have their 360s in polish. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So what would happen if I set my region to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will there be any bother changing the DNS, as I'm american I like to use US services while I'm working her in Ireland, I hope things will be the same on the xbox one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

2 more sleeps, then no more sleeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So, "Howaya Boss, c'mere t'me" won't turn the bad boy on, til next year?

Both consoles are hobbling over the finish line at launch, taking more than one shortcut along the way, I gotta be honest. Thankfully, I bet by 6 months time it'll all be fine and we'll be laughing at how we struggled through to the hard times.

Games are coming. So many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

If that works let me know. I'll start praying I win the lottery ;)

Only a sprain, panic over I should be ok, forza will be hand to play anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

The new smartglass apps are starting to show up in the stores, won't be long now!

Haven't quite been able to read all of this, but from what I read the reviewer doesn't seem blown away http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Haven't quite been able to read all of this, but from what I read the reviewer doesn't seem blown away http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

His difficulties with Kinect seem to be at odds with what other sites are reporting. Most are saying it's up at around ninety percent accurate, but they slate it.

To be honest, hardware reviews at the start of a generation mean nothing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Eurogamer's Hardware Test.

Pretty much all is as known already except for a couple of niggly and outright worrying things:
    With Forza 5 and Ryse installed to the hard drive, in addition to a number of other review titles, our concern now is all about storage management. Here's where things get a little strange. As far as we can tell, there is no storage overview to tell you how much hard drive space remains or allow you to delete items in one centralised location. There also appears to be no direct access to save games, either - these and game DVR upload clips appear to be synced with the cloud. It's interesting that in what is the most ambitious console operating system ever produced, the user seems more remote than ever from content. In many ways, it's also more of a closed box, too - even more so than the Xbox 360. Just like the PlayStation 4, it's impossible to play your own video files, for example.

Otherwise the good news is that the console seems to be cool and quiet according to their review.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Having actually read the whole review now from The Verge, it seems that the reviewer thinks that his gripes are mostly small things and certainly seems impressed with its potential even if it's not quite there yet, for example the voice commands having to be exact is the kind of thing that can be updated with software, as is other people getting your Skype call notifications. It seems like maybe the rushed certain aspects of it, but got the important stuff there and the bits that were rushed can be fixed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Eurogamer's Hardware Test.

Pretty much all is as known already except for a couple of niggly and outright worrying things:
    With Forza 5 and Ryse installed to the hard drive, in addition to a number of other review titles, our concern now is all about storage management. Here's where things get a little strange. As far as we can tell, there is no storage overview to tell you how much hard drive space remains or allow you to delete items in one centralised location. There also appears to be no direct access to save games, either - these and game DVR upload clips appear to be synced with the cloud. It's interesting that in what is the most ambitious console operating system ever produced, the user seems more remote than ever from content. In many ways, it's also more of a closed box, too - even more so than the Xbox 360. Just like the PlayStation 4, it's impossible to play your own video files, for example.

Otherwise the good news is that the console seems to be cool and quiet according to their review.

Well, you can play your video files if you've got a Windows 7/8 computer, which has the downside of needing your computer to be on, but at least it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Does that mean connecting an external HDD to it via USB and streaming media to your TV is a no-no?

Really wanted that feature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement