Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Demo in work today...might take a gander and see what the fuss is about.

Hardware reviews seem a lil bit mixed; minor niggles are the common theme tho, nothing major that I can see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also, for people that want the benefits of digital with the benefits of buying in store, Microsoft will apparently be offering digital copies of games in stores.

See here.

Not sure if this will result in cheaper prices on on digital games, but I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Decent review

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Does that mean connecting an external HDD to it via USB and streaming media to your TV is a no-no?

Really wanted that feature.

This is what I really want aswell. I wanted this to be an all in one box, if I cant play video files from an external HDD I will be rightly pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

logik wrote: »
    This is what I really want aswell. I wanted this to be an all in one box, if I cant play video files from an external HDD I will be rightly pissed.
    They've said that this (external HDD) is coming after launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

*fingers crossed for mkv support*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

maximoose wrote: »
    *fingers crossed for mkv support*

Most definitely.

They can hardly continue to ignore it but I wouldn't be surprised either.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Review on Polygon is saying that battery life has been hugely extended with the new controller due to the Kinect being able to recognise when you are not using the controller and auto powering it down until you pick it up again. They said they are getting at least 7 days continuous play without a charge from a single controller as a result. Nifty feature I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

interesting that this lot gave the xbox one 5/5 and playstation 4 4/5

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/125132-xbox-one-review

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

peteeeed wrote: »
    interesting that this lot gave the xbox one 5/5 and playstation 4 4/5

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/125132-xbox-one-review

Also from that site, if you have a DNLA source that can play mkv files, then the Xbox One can display them. At least, that's my reading of the article.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hmm - is this true? Speech recognition is not supported in Ireland?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/kinect/voice-commands

Ireland is not on the list :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

LookingFor wrote: »

Maybe not supported for launch but it will come down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

logik wrote: »
    Maybe not supported for launch but it will come down the line.

Hopefully it is something they are actually working on, and not just something they say they are actively working on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i read somewhere the uk setting works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

its very odd, so someone in nothern Ireland can have voice commands but not us.... Those weeeeeee bastards :D
    I'd say we'll all be testing this to see can we get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

i read somewhere the uk setting works
    If you look over the Kinect 1 thread here on boards you'll see the exact same circumstances. It was available for the UK first but people managed to get the voice commands working, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You'll just have to do your best Eastenders or Downton Abbey accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

20 reviews here of the XB1

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/20/xbox-one-console-reviews-begin-get-the-vg247-impressions-here/

They are quite mixed going by the conclusions, quite a few saying it has the potential but it is just not there yet and to wait till next year to get it, bored at work and reading them all.

Main issues seem to be the terrible quality of Game DVR recordings, hardly any social media, poor voice commands and the Kinect is quite buggy, none a deal breaker I know.

The big plus in most reviews is Snap, they reckon it is great for multitasking, also the UI is getting props from nearly all reviews, they are also reckon it could easily be the heart of your living room with all the integration if you wanted it to be and the controller is getting great praise as well

They basically mostly agree that if all the pieces fall into place for Microsoft and it fulfills its potential it will be one hell of a console, but out of the box it does have some issues, these can be fixed with patches though.

Xenji wrote: »
    20 reviews here of the XB1

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/20/xbox-one-console-reviews-begin-get-the-vg247-impressions-here/

They are quite mixed going by the conclusions, quite a few saying it has the potential but it is just not there yet and to wait till next year to get it, bored at work and reading them all.

Main issues seem to be the terrible quality of Game DVR recordings, hardly any social media, poor voice commands and the Kinect is quite buggy, none a deal breaker I know.

Why dont you post the positives for once Xenji :P

What are its plus points from reading the reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

If those are the main issues, I'll be rather happy as I won't be using any of them

(well, maybe a little Kinect :))

• Advertisement

Why dont you post the positives for once Xenji :P

What are its plus points from reading the reviews?

I am getting there, I have to do some work you know.

maximoose wrote: »
    If those are the main issues, I'll be rather happy as I won't be using any of them

(well, maybe a little Kinect :))

Yeah "hardly any social media" is a plus point for me :D

Are the Forza reviews out today does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

2 pm

Yep at 2 pm today, will throw them up as I see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I played Forza at the Xbox One tour on Saturday and it looks amazing, but you'd really need to be a car head as the driving is a little bit too realistic for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Works if you change it to UK....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Works if you change it to UK....

If you change what to UK? your region & live a/c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did anyone hear if there was going to be a chat pad for the new controller? I know you can use a usb keyboard but thats hardly the same really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If you change what to UK? your region & live a/c?

No, just the consoles system language...

Actually it may even be US you have to put it to for it to work, UK might still not be working right....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement