Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah if the price drops I'll probably pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Won't be buying any digital games at those prices.
    I have credit on my account from cheap points cards I bought, I'll use it to get Forza, DR3 and maybe the golf game because I'll have €20 left and that seems like the best arcade game to me. At the price I paid it will work out having cost me just over €40 each for DR3 and Forza, which is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hoping the smyths offers are decent tonight. Want to get Forza and an extra pad (to go with FIFA). If I can get DR3 in some bundle with those I will probably do so, and get KI with some money on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

What's apps are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Ryse looks like its a classic 3 day rental from xtravision job. €7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Will I need to buy a stand to balance the Kinect on top of the TV like the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Batesy wrote: »
    Ryse looks like its a classic 3 day rental from xtravision job. €7

Contender for Games with Gold, won't be going near it till it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Ugh this day is dragging on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

11hr 59mins and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

See consoles are starting to go up on advetts and done deal for way above rrp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Will I need to buy a stand to balance the Kinect on top of the TV like the old one?
    Yep, there seem to be a few on Amazon for doing that - Wall / TV top mounting brackets, but they're only for pre-order now.
    e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Kinect-Camera-Clip-Mount/dp/B00GH7UCJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384956323&sr=8-1&keywords=%22Xbox+One%22+Kinect+mount

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Microsoft have one on their US website but not Irish:

5e2e4d2e-f0e4-4662-86db-acc73be601d3.png?n=38-032_image2.png

I just assumed Gamestop would have them, as anyone with a flat screen might need one.

You could also just use some gaffer tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Anyone get there hands on one yet super early?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

hallo dare wrote: »
    Anyone get there hands on one yet super early?

Just this bollox so far.
    My Xbox One just arrived!!!!!!

Thank you Gamestop biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

Got my Day One Xbox One delivered from Gamestop.ie this morning. :) Controller is gorgeous to hold and use and the console is about as big as I expected but it's absolutely silent which is nice.

Only have FIFA 14 to play at the moment and it's currently downloading so I said I'd pop on here and give some first reactions.

Quick few points about Kinect. As most of you already know, Ireland is not currently supported at launch for Kinect voice recognition. If you choose Ireland as your local region during the setup, Kinect voice control won't work. That being said, you can change the region at any time in the system settings and it just requires a system restart to apply the change. I changed my region to United Kingdom and the Kinect voice recognition now works perfectly. I'm really impressed by just how good it works which makes it all the more baffling why Ireland isn't a supported country at launch.

Of course there is a downside to changing the region and that comes in the form of the Store switching to the UK Store. All games are priced in Sterling and I'm not sure if purchases will go through. I won't be testing it out anyway as the digital prices are, as usual, fairly steep. Some games also seem to be priced at a much higher price in the UK store (NBA 2K14 is £54.99 as opposed to €59.99, Dead Rising 3 is £68.99 instead of €64.99) so that's another reason not to pruchase. :pac: You do however get the chance to download the UK apps including YouTube which I don't think is available on the Irish Store yet.

It's a very simple work around at the moment to get Kinect voice recognition working and only takes 1 or 2 minutes to change region so I suppose I can live with the UK settings for now seeing as how handy the voice controls are.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

Thanks for that short concise review Nutmeg. Why can't all gaming websites do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Exactly trudub.... clear and concise.
    Have fun with it Nutmeg.....

<clenches fist in jealous rage>

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Nutmeg wrote: »
    Got my Day One Xbox One delivered from Gamestop.ie this morning. :) Controller is gorgeous to hold and use and the console is about as big as I expected but it's absolutely silent which is nice.

Only have FIFA 14 to play at the moment and it's currently downloading so I said I'd pop on here and give some first reactions.

Quick few points about Kinect. As most of you already know, Ireland is not currently supported at launch for Kinect voice recognition. If you choose Ireland as your local region during the setup, Kinect voice control won't work. That being said, you can change the region at any time in the system settings and it just requires a system restart to apply the change. I changed my region to United Kingdom and the Kinect voice recognition now works perfectly. I'm really impressed by just how good it works which makes it all the more baffling why Ireland isn't a supported country at launch.

Of course there is a downside to changing the region and that comes in the form of the Store switching to the UK Store. All games are priced in Sterling and I'm not sure if purchases will go through. I won't be testing it out anyway as the digital prices are, as usual, fairly steep. Some games also seem to be priced at a much higher price in the UK store (NBA 2K14 is £54.99 as opposed to €59.99, Dead Rising 3 is £68.99 instead of €64.99) so that's another reason not to pruchase. :pac: You do however get the chance to download the UK apps including YouTube which I don't think is available on the Irish Store yet.

It's a very simple work around at the moment to get Kinect voice recognition working and only takes 1 or 2 minutes to change region so I suppose I can live with the UK settings for now seeing as how handy the voice controls are.

Are you sure you clicked on the correct Dead Rising? There is a special edition one on the Irish store, costs 89.99 IIRC, has some description "Based off of Battle: Los Angeles" so I'm guessing it's included DLC.

Started downloading FIFA 14 on my 6mbps connection at around 10:30am, it's now at 51%, I'm actually surprised as it's quite fast. The FIFA 14 early access on 360 took around 8 hours, and they're around the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

play one game of fifa then give us the quick review, dying to play it

Yup, I tried to balance it, no hope. The lever type thing is only for directing the Kinect downwards. The little bar that overhangs on the front is some sort of speaker/sensor (has little holes in it).
    Just this bollox so far.

Got mine at 8:30am. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

why can't I buy both...damn gadget lust...

...of course I quickly realise the games are too expensive and not good enough (for my tastes)

....I also want a new tv and phone :P

peteeeed wrote: »
    play one game of fifa then give us the quick review, dying to play it

Honestly doesn't feel much different that last gen. There are some subtle differences with slight animation changes, but it doesn't feel like a different game. The presentation is a lot nicer though with action camera angles and that sort of thing. Quite hard to actually get players to make runs with LB and finesse with RB though, maybe because you have to press the very edge of the bumpers for the button click to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Well VAT is 3% higher here than in the Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hoping the smyths offers are decent tonight. Want to get Forza and an extra pad (to go with FIFA). If I can get DR3 in some bundle with those I will probably do so, and get KI with some money on my account.
    They are doing

549.99 for console + Fifa/Forza + 1 game

609.99 for console + Fifa/Forza + 2 games

595 for console + Fifa/Forza + 1 game + extra controller.

That's Fifa or Forza, which ever one you preordered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Are you sure you clicked on the correct Dead Rising? There is a special edition one on the Irish store, costs 89.99 IIRC, has some description "Based off of Battle: Los Angeles" so I'm guessing it's included DLC.

Started downloading FIFA 14 on my 6mbps connection at around 10:30am, it's now at 51%, I'm actually surprised as it's quite fast. The FIFA 14 early access on 360 took around 8 hours, and they're around the same size.

I downloaded 17GB in 45 minutes yesterday, I'm ready for an all digital future.

Except for those prices, yikes. Guess I'm just going to have to be extra picky about my games, and hope that the digital codes in shops are cheaper.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I downloaded 17GB in 45 minutes yesterday, I'm ready for an all digital future.

Except for those prices, yikes. Guess I'm just going to have to be extra picky about my games, and hope that the digital codes in shops are cheaper.

I'm jealous. :(

Are you with UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yup, I tried to balance it, no hope. The lever type thing is only for directing the Kinect downwards. The little bar that overhangs on the front is some sort of speaker/sensor (has little holes in it).

Got mine at 8:30am. :D
    at the Xbox event they were mostly just sitting on top of the xbox itself or underneath the TV. Kinect doesn't have to go on top of the TV. Although I know many people will need to place it above the TV due to their setup and preferences.

at the Xbox event they were mostly just sitting on top of the xbox itself or underneath the TV. Kinect doesn't have to go on top of the TV. Although I know many people will need to place it above the TV due to their setup and preferences.

Yeah I have mine just sitting on top of the Xbox itself. Works fine for QR codes, voice commands and stuff. I think the position only matters for movement based games like Fighter Within and Kinect Sports (free in store).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm jealous. :(

Are you with UPC?

I was when I was in Ireland, and UPC were far better than anyone else I had.

In London now, with BT fibre. It's truly excellent. In fairness, I spent six months living in a place that got 1.5 mbp\s. Nightmare for someone as digitally invested as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They are doing

549.99 for console + Fifa/Forza + 1 game

609.99 for console + Fifa/Forza + 2 games

595 for console + Fifa/Forza + 1 game + extra controller.

That's Fifa or Forza, which ever one you preordered.

Cheers - will have to find out how much a controller is and do some maths....

609.99 and add a controller or 595 and add a game...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement