Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Blazer wrote: »
    I have a Samsung smart tv but the client sucks really.Really wish my XB1 would support proper DNLA streaming :(

Offtopic, but if you have a samsung tv you should try the plex app which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

DaLad wrote: »
    Haven't followed your case but you can pre-order ONE on argos.ie right now in the Tallaght store to be collected on Tuesday if you're interested? Apologies if this is what you have already done.

Done it already. I know I was one of the first to reserve in Argos St. Stephen's Green, because I was watching and waiting for it.

Dunno what's after happening. Will see if I get a text or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

198321 wrote: »
    Getting PS4 from Amazon.co.uk, UPS delivery (paid extra £20) but it says delivery estimate Monday 2nd.

How was it with xbox one, did people get it from Amazon on friday or everybody in Ireland had to wait till Monday ?

Don't think anyone got them on the Friday here.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Tippex wrote: »
    Don't think anyone got them on the Friday here.

Got mine Friday morning from Amazon it was dispatched Thursday shipped from England to Germany then Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Got mine Friday morning from Amazon it was dispatched Thursday shipped from England to Germany then Ireland.
    That the usual with Amazon and UPS (at least for me). Luton, Cologne, Dublin, Shannon iirc :D exciting :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

You can stream video to the xbox one - it is just awkward.

Have to use the latest Windows Media player. Right click on the title you want to stream (on your computer) and select 'Play-To', and then select the Xbox One (will come up as XBOX OS or something like that).

Pain in the ass and nowhere near as handy as streaming was on the 360.

Considering they want the One to be the centre of your media environment - it is plain crazy.

It's impossible for the Xbox One to be an all in one device because there's already too much overlap between devices and many devices which do individual things better, or at least less restrictively. I'd rather have three devices which do different things but in a seamless way which empowers the user than one device which does everything but is a pain in the arse and attempts to restrict the options to ones that are friendly to the device. Xbox One is a cool and futuristic piece of tech but it'll never be the home entertainment singularity, not to the extent Microsoft would like, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

briany wrote: »
    It's impossible for the Xbox One to be an all in one device because there's already too much overlap between devices and many devices which do individual things better, or at least less restrictively. I'd rather have three devices which do different things but in a seamless way which empowers the user than one device which does everything but is a pain in the arse and attempts to restrict the options to ones that are friendly to the device. Xbox One is a cool and futuristic piece of tech but it'll never be the home entertainment singularity, not to the extent Microsoft would like, anyway.

it is to the extent that I like and thats all thats matters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    and thats all thats matters :D

4022761_818684e065_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    it is to the extent that I like and thats all thats matters :D

Lots of people, I'm sure, are loving the Xbox One and what it can do but I know if I had one, I'd be pushing it to see what it can do and probably getting increasingly annoyed when I realise it hasn't got this or that functionality or wanted to make me do something a certain way, doing the same thing with the PS4 or the WiiU, too. I suppose what I'm saying is that I find a lot of limitations on next gen hardware to be a bit arbitrary, based on a desire to control, but that desire always threatens to work against the satisfaction of the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Pushtrak wrote: »

The sad thing is that some poor sap is going to buy them.

The Witcher 3 devs happy with ease of development on the One (and other info on The Wicher 3, generally)...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-the-witcher-3-what-is-a-next-gen-rpg
    "The Xbox One is pretty easy to understand because not just the hardware is similar to the PC, but everything like the SDK, the API is really similar to what you would find on a PC.

"I saw how Microsoft opened up certain parts that they hid before from developers," he said. "They opened them up, like, 'OK now you can have this back door, and it's risky but you can do this and that...' This is how developers learned a little bit more and more every step. From Microsoft it was a good way to do it to always let the developers do a little bit more."

Does he think Microsoft will do the same with Xbox One?

"I don't know because we are not at the stage where they would open up something new," he answered. "We have what we have right now, and maybe we will have some more low-level access in the future.

"It's not like they would open up new hardware or anything - there's nothing new in there. It's new ways to do something. Both companies are already using all the knowledge they have from previous products to make the API tailored to games ... so I expect that they will do something like, 'OK now you can do this; it's extremely risky - only do this if you know what you're doing! But you can do this.'

"It will happen, eventually, but right now we are preparing for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

briany wrote: »

hope they add support for external HD's soon! need to watch me videos with ease init.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Holy ****. At first I thought it was the Xbox One then I realised it was JUST the box :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Having to install a game is absolute nonsense, it's far from next gen.

You could be playing a game 10x quicker on the C64.

What's the above 20 years ago with a floppy disk, we really are being dragged backwards with the next gen.

What's the solution? Blu-ray provides plenty of storage space on the disc. DVD was straining last generation with many games coming on multiple discs. Games are only going to get bigger. So, that rules out DVD. Download? Nope, not feasible as going with only that, as not everywhere/one can make that work. Blu-ray is necessary then. And a necessary part of blu-ray is installation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What's the above 20 years ago with a floppy disk, we really are being dragged backwards with the next gen.

As a once off installation it's really not as huge a problem as you're making out, not until you run out of HDD capacity at least :pac:

Guys did anyone elses Xbox live code from the box not work?

I scanned it a few times, entered it... even tried a new account.

It recognises what it is, but doesn't work.

Ive no Live so guess FIFA is out of the question, if I didn't buy NBA I'd have nothing to play till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

As a once off installation it's really not as huge a problem as you're making out, not until you run out of HDD capacity at least :pac:

Not a big deal alright, sure we are to expect a patch Q1 that will allow external drives. Slap on a 2TB drive and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the solution?

Cartridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Lol @ TV3

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/irelands-tv3-says-the-pc-equivalent-of-an-xbox-one-would-cost-3k

For 3k you would be able to put together some machine!

ferike1 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87708605&postcount=8198

We had an aul discussion about this already :D

Guys did anyone elses Xbox live code from the box not work?

I scanned it a few times, entered it... even tried a new account.

It recognises what it is, but doesn't work.

Ive no Live so guess FIFA is out of the question, if I didn't buy NBA I'd have nothing to play till tomorrow.

Did you check your FIFA case to see if you got an XBL trial in that? I got a 3 day one in my Dead Rising and my friend for a 7 day one in his Forza. Maybe it's just Microsoft games but worth a check :)

If not, you can always buy a 1 month for €6 on ebay if you have a VISA debit card or credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 29 c0nd1t10nr3d

Here's a problem I've recently seen on my new XB1...

Just today, I've signed in both my Sons and my Girlfriends previously existing accounts on the console for the first time. The console/kinect now recognizes them both etc. BUT... When either of them say "Xbox, Show My Stuff"... The screen seems to refresh etc. but it is still showing all My Stuff instead of theirs. Even my username and avatar stays showing at the side of the screen when it should show the name etc. of whomever gave the "Xbox, Show My stuff" command.

Has anyone else had this problem lately and have any ideas of how to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oh dont you just feel embarrassed for them... morons

THEY ADDED A ZOO TYCOON DEMO, THEY ADDED A ZOO TYCOON DEMO! :D:D:D

Sorry, I just really wanted to try this game and now I can! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Here's a problem I've recently seen on my new XB1...

Just today, I've signed in both my Sons and my Girlfriends previously existing accounts on the console for the first time. The console/kinect now recognizes them both etc. BUT... When either of them say "Xbox, Show My Stuff"... The screen seems to refresh etc. but it is still showing all My Stuff instead of theirs. Even my username and avatar stays showing at the side of the screen when it should show the name etc. of whomever gave the "Xbox, Show My stuff" command.

Has anyone else had this problem lately and have any ideas of how to fix it?

If I remember correctly it also detects who is holding the controller, when I signed my wife's account in it only detected her correctly when she was holding the controller, either that or something funky with the kinect setup.

There is an option in the kinect setup when you can say that you are not being detected correctly, could be worth a go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If I remember correctly it also detects who is holding the controller, when I signed my wife's account in it only detected her correctly when she was holding the controller, either that or something funky with the kinect setup.

There is an option in the kinect setup when you can say that you are not being detected correctly, could be worth a go

Try the command "Xbox, sign in as X"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I tell you what, we'll have a race...you load 30GB of data through a C64, & I'll do it with an Xbox One....read, set...go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myrddin wrote: »
    I tell you what, we'll have a race...you load 30GB of data through a C64, & I'll do it with an Xbox One....read, set...go!

Lol, it is safe to say who the winner would be. I think when it comes to change, people will always give out until they are used to the new procedures. In 6 months, this wont be an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement