Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

This sums up that for us outside of america...

"Xbox, watch EPSN"
    "Sorry, ESPN is not available in your country."
    "Xbox, play music."
    "Sorry, Xbox Music is not available in your country."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Octocore processor, 8gb of ram and blu ray drive sounds orgasmic.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

8GB of DDR3 RAM?

They didn't say if it was DDR3 or DDR5, so for that reason I'd assume it's DDR3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So what's the deal with this always on Internet connection?
    Was that announced?

That wasn't announced, release date wasn't announced, price wasn't announced.... all in all, nothing was really announced other than we have a new console that does everything that your current Xbox has been leading up to. Tah-dah

Besides that, it's not even that good looking, a rectangular black box with no real beauty to it.

Skeptical Mini remains undazzled.

Released before the end of the year.... yeah, well fcuking DUH. I mean, I know they can't exactly say when they'll release it because then Sony will just release before them, but give us a fcuking clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Octocore processor, 8gb of ram and blu ray drive sounds orgasmic.

Sounded even better 3 months ago with faster ram and actual games though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Xbox play games".... "What the fúck are those?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The voice activated **** bored the **** out of me, not least because it probably won't work with broad Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Digitalism wrote: »
    This sums up that for us outside of america...

"Xbox, watch EPSN"
    "Sorry, ESPN is not available in your country."
    "Xbox, play music."
    "Sorry, Xbox Music is not available in your country."

Fairly sure Xbox music is available in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

Doesn't seem true, however it will be up to publishers if they want to block second hand games from running or charge a fee for it.

I dunno bout that. They never said one way or the other if the online connection is always needed. That refusal to address it and the number of servers makes me think its true. I also doubt Xbox will have it so some games can be used second hand and others cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Like the skype bit , playing a game and being able to chat with the family on PC or whoever. Im assuming it will work across platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Morpork wrote: »
    They didn't say if it was DDR3 or DDR5, so for that reason I'd assume it's DDR3.

DDR5 is not even invented yet.
    The PS4 has GDDR5 which is tech available for the last 2 years on PC GFX cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Specs wise:

They said,
    8 core CPU
    8Gb RAM
    500 Gb HDD
    BluRay drive

and nothing about the all important GPU???????????????

At least Sony went into their tech spces. MS dumbed down the whole thing. Too interested in Sports and TV with Kinect 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Uhhh-ooh. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

"Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That skype call was terrible, must have been pre-recorded.

I'm still skeptical about all this always online stuff. They mentioned the "cloud" a lot, and how it played a big role in the console, and they never said that it would play offline games.
    That rumour has been crippling MS for the past few months, if I was them it would have been one of the first thing I announced wasn't true.
    Does it have a built in game streamer/recorder? I thought I saw it mentioned for a few seconds but don't think they said much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Talk here of mandatory installs tied to your live account and an installation fee for any further installations - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

DDR5 is not even invented yet.
    The PS4 has GDDR5.

This

GDDR5 is DDR3 for graphics related purposes (its not very good for CPUs)

DDR4 is out at the end of the year for the server market

It wont be used for consumer products until summer of 2014

DDR5 is 4 years out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Slugs wrote: »
    WTF?! Looks like a digibox

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I dunno bout that. They never said one way or the other if the online connection is always needed. That refusal to address it and the number of servers makes me think its true. I also doubt Xbox will have it so some games can be used second hand and others cant.
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/
    As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.
    Seems like it would work like an "online pass" that is currently used by EA and others. This option explains why EA recently ditched their Online Pass model, they knew this was coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I personally thought the presentation was better then Sony, we saw the machine, the interface etc.

The least important points then. It's a games console, it's nothing without the games.

• Advertisement

Specs wise:

They said,
    8 core CPU
    8Gb RAM
    500 Gb HDD
    BluRay drive

and nothing about the all important GPU???????????????

At least Sony went into their tech spces. MS dumbed down the whole thing.

I suspect the console is not completely finalised yet. I'd say they are still considering a higher spec'd GPU (complete speculation on my part but seems logical).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Uhhh-ooh. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

"Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid."

Now we know why online passes are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Don Mattrick was interviewed on Gamestrailers just after it and confirmed it wasn't always on and expressly said you could play single player without a connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I suspect the console is not completely finalised yet. I'd say they are still considering a higher spec'd GPU (complete speculation on my part but seems logical).

It's out in a few months, it's finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Definitely not. The games are already past a certain point in development. If they do any major changes to the console hardware they'll have to re-do the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The least important points then. It's a games console, it's nothing without the games.

Considering 90% of people are gonna buy the usual's cod, fifa, bf etc etc and we know them games are coming. Plus its only a few weeks to e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I bought kinect day one cause I was so impressed with the tech and what I thought it COULD do...... Kinect 2 just gave the EXACT same thing.

Fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO 5m

The PS4 is clearly the better than the XBOX ONE as 4 is greater than 1. This graph will make it clearer: pic.twitter.com/HTBn7d5iSu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Way too late in the day for that.

HDD size can be changed just before production but anything else is a big job. It's not like adding a graphics card to a PC, it's an all in one board here with everything on one die.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    It's out in a few months, it's finished

On second thoughts your right, I was just trying to justify watching this waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement