Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I allow the few extra inches so the sockets don't get strained by the very thick cables. 14.5 is the closest to the wall I can get before I see a slight lift on the cable plugs within the sockets, if ya know what I mean? ;)

Ahh right. My console will be pushed into the wall as much as I possible can. I have enough ventilation around that for that to not be a problem for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't figure the odds are good that we'll be able to download 360 games for the next, say 5 years. They're going to want to put them resources to the One. And I don't expect the One to be supported in to perpetuity. At some point, access to these games will be cut off.

You think they will not do something like this?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/05/news-microsoft-shutting-down-original-xbox-live-servers.aspx

To a point where so few people are using the servers, they'll all be used for the One.

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment with regard to Live on the 360, to be honest. Games shut down servers to cater for the new game in the franchise. I expect the One to give more leeway, but expect to see the same in terms of dropped 360 support. And later, dropped One support, so buying full downloaded games... Doesn't appeal to me so much. Oh, I don't expect this issue to remain solely an MS issue, either.

I didn't make myself clear with my first response on the scalability of the cloud.

I'll describe a hypothetical situation that most likely won't arise for another 3 to 5 years.

No one has logged into an Xbox 360 live account for 3 weeks. Because of this, a call is made to scale down the machines dedicated to the 360. Virtual Machines are deleted, and all of the data required to run the Xbox 360 Live service is merely stored on the hard-drives. While there are a few servers listening for 360 traffic, it is functionally shut down.

A user logs into their Xbox 360. It communicates with one of the few Virtual Machines still running the Xbox 360 service. They in turn create the VMs required to run an efficient service. The user will only notice a slightly longer log in process. They then have a full Xbox 360 service available to them.

This is the benefit of having your own Cloud service, and Microsofts Azure infrastructure is one of the biggest. When you have such an abundance of computing power, maintaining a few to run a legacy system is an easy choice. It can scale up or down depending on demand.

Will they eventually shut it down? Probably. But if people keep using it, then why not keep it running? Particularly when it's so cheap to maintain it.

Also, I've already swapped over to the One, so I won't have that particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

dricko_lim wrote: »
    If you've played previous forza editions log onto https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net

I just got 3m credits! I was tier 3 :)

Cheers, just got 4 Million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CatInABox wrote: »
    Also, I've already swapped over to the One, so I won't have that particular problem.
    Well, we'll have to see if it all works as you think it will... But my point wasn't exclusively about the 360. I was following the same train of thought about the successor to the One. Right now, it seems I have all the reasons to doubt, and none to figure it will be fine. If it turns out so, great, but again, time'll tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Well, we'll have to see if it all works as you think it will... But my point wasn't exclusively about the 360. I was following the same train of thought about the successor to the One. Right now, it seems I have all the reasons to doubt, and none to figure it will be fine. If it turns out so, great, but again, time'll tell.

Fair enough. I have a feeling that we'll be waiting years for all this to shake out, and I think we can both agree, the longer the better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I didn't make myself clear with my first response on the scalability of the cloud.

I'll describe a hypothetical situation that most likely won't arise for another 3 to 5 years.

No one has logged into an Xbox 360 live account for 3 weeks. Because of this, a call is made to scale down the machines dedicated to the 360. Virtual Machines are deleted, and all of the data required to run the Xbox 360 Live service is merely stored on the hard-drives. While there are a few servers listening for 360 traffic, it is functionally shut down.

A user logs into their Xbox 360. It communicates with one of the few Virtual Machines still running the Xbox 360 service. They in turn create the VMs required to run an efficient service. The user will only notice a slightly longer log in process. They then have a full Xbox 360 service available to them.

This is the benefit of having your own Cloud service, and Microsofts Azure infrastructure is one of the biggest. When you have such an abundance of computing power, maintaining a few to run a legacy system is an easy choice. It can scale up or down depending on demand.

Will they eventually shut it down? Probably. But if people keep using it, then why not keep it running? Particularly when it's so cheap to maintain it.

One of the few intelligent posts I've read by someone who actually understands how the "cloud" works outside of day to day end user stuff, nail on the head it's about scaling to demand on the fly.

Amazon are a prime example of a company who used all those idle servers and put them to work on cloud services ...... their love film service for example ..... servers hosted in ireland and yet we are not allowed to subscribe :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Because they will want people to ditch their old console & buy a shiny new Xbox One. I think they will eventually discontinue Live for the 360, like they did with the original online services for the Xbox...but it'll be years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Myrddin wrote: »
    Because they will want people to ditch their old console & buy a shiny new Xbox One. I think they will eventually discontinue Live for the 360, like they did with the original online services for the Xbox...but it'll be years away.

I would think it'll be active for a long time yet, specially seeing as there is revenue to be generated by people who use the console for movies and music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I can see Live for 360 still around in 5 years. It is bringing in big money at the moment for Microsoft so I cant see it being dropped. That said, once the X1 gets a foothold they may remove it in the hope people will buy an X1 and transfer their Live account over to it.

logik wrote: »
    I can see Live for 360 still around in 5 years. It is bringing in big money at the moment for Microsoft so I cant see it being dropped. That said, once the X1 gets a foothold they may remove it in the hope people will buy an X1 and transfer their Live account over to it.

That's more or less what I was getting at. We know it'll definitely be around for three more years anyway, so I'd say your right in that five is likely. After that though, they'll want to sell & sell One consoles...& it wouldn't surprise me to see them gently push people away from the Live 360 service, in favour of the One. Sure they could keep the 360 Live service running pretty easily as CatInABox explained, but when you factor in One sales into the equation, it wouldn't surprise me to see 360 Live being retired at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I would think it'll be active for a long time yet, specially seeing as there is revenue to be generated by people who use the console for movies and music as well.
    If anything they'll switch off the Multiplayer servers, not the content servers (i.e. you can still buy stuff, or download your old stuff).

However, that's not going anywhere in a hurry because they'll need to have a constant revenue stream to tide them over until they have convinced everyone to move to the One, and they've got 80+ Million people with 360's with money to burn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

I've found an easy way to see what demos are available for Xbox One games from a PC.

https://www.google.ie/#q=site%3Astore.xbox.com+demo

Currently there are three demos:
    Although as more demos are added, the Google Results should update with the newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hi All,

I've found an easy way to see what demos are available for Xbox One games from a PC.

https://www.google.ie/#q=site%3Astore.xbox.com+demo

Currently there are three demos:
    Although as more demos are added, the Google Results should update with the newer ones.

Know about them already, I tell my Xbox to bing and search for game demos :P

but that's a handy way of checking them, especially from PC like you said. Bookmarked, thanks! :)

That's more or less what I was getting at. We know it'll definitely be around for three more years anyway, so I'd say your right in that five is likely. After that though, they'll want to sell & sell One consoles...& it wouldn't surprise me to see them gently push people away from the Live 360 service, in favour of the One. Sure they could keep the 360 Live service running pretty easily as CatInABox explained, but when you factor in One sales into the equation, it wouldn't surprise me to see 360 Live being retired at some point.

I suppose that it all comes down to where you see Microsoft making their money from now on.

Personally speaking, I think Microsoft sees media consumption as their biggest income driver going forward. You can tell that the fact that the Xbox 360 is now used more for media consumption than for games has had a drastic effect on their thinking regarding the Xbox One. Right from the start, it was marketed as a media console, more than just a games console.

The reason I feel that this means they'll keep the 360 service going for years yet is because they have already paid the license for the media content (to MPAA, RIAA, etc). Once you pay the license, it then makes sense to get it onto as many devices as possible, hence their Xbox Music app has been released on iOS and Android. Why then would you turn off the 360 service when they have 80+ million consoles in the wild?

As for them wanting people to buy the Xbox One, yes, that's true, eventually they'll want people to upgrade, but they'll want people to upgrade while turning their 360 into a second room device.

Will it be shut down eventually? Yes, without doubt. I'd expect it to happen around the launch of the next gen, forcing people to upgrade to a much cheaper Xbox One*, or the "Xbox Two".

*either an Xbox One, or the $99 - $150 Xbox media device that they'll release within the next year.

Eurogamer have an article on the community feedback for the Xbox One and it's UI. See here.

All fairly standard suggestions, and about what I expected.

One thing I am amazed by is how anti-Microsoft Eurogamer has become. Is it just me, or have they gone really overboard on the hate? I prefer my sites to be completely neutral on everything, but I just don't think they are any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Eurogamer have an article on the community feedback for the Xbox One and it's UI. See here.

All fairly standard suggestions, and about what I expected.

One thing I am amazed by is how anti-Microsoft Eurogamer has become. Is it just me, or have they gone really overboard on the hate? I prefer my sites to be completely neutral on everything, but I just don't think they are any more.

Dunno if actively anti microsoft is how id describe it, but sometimes theres a sneery undertone to their articles. Kotaku is way worse though.

That feedback site is good, I'd be really happy if they implemented all those changes, along with dolby surround sound. The UI has the potential for greatness (for example, if you search for a movie using bing, it shows all the services that movie is available on, and recommends the one thats free. But its the little niggly things that are holding it back.

As for them wanting people to buy the Xbox One, yes, that's true, eventually they'll want people to upgrade, but they'll want people to upgrade while turning their 360 into a second room device.

Yeah that's probably the kinda strategy that they'll go for. It's when it comes to the "how do we persuade people to relegate their 360 in favour of a One" question though, that makes you wonder. Will they slowly cripple the 360 Live service, to make a fully functional One service more appealing?

Personally I really hope the 360 service stays live for a long, long time to come. Buying games digitally on consoles, is something I'm always wary of as we're in a bit of an unknown place right now. Yes it's great to nab a digital download & tie it to my account, no more swapping discs, no more laser failure, no more scratched discs/lost games...fantastic. But, I still prefer to collect physical copies of games {apart from being a bit of a collector}, because at least I know it'll always be there. The Live service will close at some stage, & then all your content is in the hands of the hard-drive in your console...if that goes, then so does your collection.

So yeah, the longer these services run & are maintained even as legacy systems, the more it'll 'sell' digital downloads to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Dunno if actively anti microsoft is how id describe it, but sometimes theres a sneery undertone to their articles. Kotaku is way worse though.

That feedback site is good, I'd be really happy if they implemented all those changes, along with dolby surround sound. The UI has the potential for greatness (for example, if you search for a movie using bing, it shows all the services that movie is available on, and recommends the one thats free. But its the little niggly things that are holding it back.

This is a cool suggestion!

"Xbox find controller" and all of the controllers in the room turn on and vibrate for 5 seconds

Buying games digitally on consoles, is something I'm always wary of as we're in a bit of an unknown place right now. Yes it's great to nab a digital download & tie it to my account, no more swapping discs, no more laser failure, no more scratched discs/lost games...fantastic. But, I still prefer to collect physical copies of games {apart from being a bit of a collector}, because at least I know it'll always be there. The Live service will close at some stage, & then all your content is in the hands of the hard-drive in your console...if that goes, then so does your collection.

So yeah, the longer these services run & are maintained even as legacy systems, the more it'll 'sell' digital downloads to me

The Live service will only shut down if Microsoft get out of the games industry, and even then, I can't see them leaving the content provision industry, so there will always be some form of Live.

There is one further thing to note with this generation of consoles: Backward compatibility is a sure thing for the next gen.

The reason I believe this so firmly are the choices that both Microsoft and Sony have made with this generation. Both companies have gone with what are essentially off the shelve parts, which I think means that they'll do the same next generation. Microsoft have gone even further down this road, and have already separated the Xbox One GameOS from everything else on the box, meaning that it should be a snap on the next console to run the Xbox One GameOS in a virtual environment.

This is a cool suggestion!

"Xbox find controller" and all of the controllers in the room turn on and vibrate for 5 seconds

I truly believe that the Xbox One has a massive amount of potential, and this sort of idea is indicative how how sorting out little problems with it will make it shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I don't think you could label eurogamer anti Microsoft.

Last gen they basically awarded the 360 the win in almost all comparison tests and recommended the 360 versions of multi platform games.

I don't think they are anti or pro anything and basically call things as they see them at that moment in time.

Eurogamer are one of the better sites to be fair.

Batesy wrote: »
    Eurogamer are one of the better sites to be fair.

I agree, and in fairness, anti-Microsoft was the wrong term to use. As Stone Deaf 4evr mentioned, there is definitely a sneery undertone to their articles, and it's that which is rubbing me up the wrong way.

If you want to be scornful, then by all means, do so in an editorial (which they have done, and while I don't agree with every, I still consider them interesting articles), but in a lot of other articles, there's a undercurrent of scorn that colours the article.

I don't read Kotaku. I trust Eurogamer, which is why I'm frustrated, I suppose.

The Live service will only shut down if Microsoft get out of the games industry, and even then, I can't see them leaving the content provision industry, so there will always be some form of Live.

Oh I was strictly speaking about the 360 Live service as a legacy system, not any current forum of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Day One Edition

What's the difference? I managed to order one and got it delivered to my parents in Dublin, it was cheaper than getting in the UK. It's a Xmas present to me so not worried about getting my hands on it yet.

Anyone with a Day One care to explain what I'm getting as opposed to a standard green box? I know I have Forza but do I get any free Xbox Live or anything else useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

s.welstead wrote: »
    Day One Edition

What's the difference? I managed to order one and got it delivered to my parents in Dublin, it was cheaper than getting in the UK. It's a Xmas present to me so not worried about getting my hands on it yet.

Anyone with a Day One care to explain what I'm getting as opposed to a standard green box? I know I have Forza but do I get any free Xbox Live or anything else useful?

nice boxing and it says day one 2013 on the controller and you get an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

And the Day One Edition of Forza with some Extra DLC, oh and some stickers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

So now 1 year sub to Xbox Live? Damn, do you get any free?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

You get 2 weeks free with your X1. Its not much granted but I'm sure many people have not used them as they already had Live like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

14 day trial I think In the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Project spark beta

https://joinprojectspark.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement