Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Talk here of mandatory installs tied to your live account and an installation fee for any further installations - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

second hand game market = RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Uhhh-ooh. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

"Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid."

Wow hold on a minute, if that's true MS can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

At the end of the day they are going after the 'home entertainment' market...but isn't that market far more saturated than the gaming market? What can this thing do that my laptop can't? Why focus on TV **** so much when that medium is slowly dying anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's true

And they're "encouraging" developers to activate always on. Essentially they've completely passed the buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Retr0gamer wrote: »

If it's true, I called it a while ago. I'd be surprised MS went with it before Sony, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How would this work. You get a CD key with the game to install it, then after that you pay for a new key? I assume the installation key is linked to your account then so you can install and uninstall as needed.

How would this work. You get a CD key with the game to install it, then after that you pay for a new key. I assume the installation key is linked to your account then so you can install and uninstall as needed.

Seems console linked, rather than account linked, but I've not had clarification yet

any pics of the console....closeups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I suspect the console is not completely finalised yet. I'd say they are still considering a higher spec'd GPU (complete speculation on my part but seems logical).

the reason they havent given it is becuase its a custom made gpu

but if you want the spec look at a 7970M and think 5-10% slower atm the 8 series card will be a rebrand

Its the same as the PS4

• Advertisement

There's a few replicas in Power City.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

If I install it off a disc then I have a ton of coasters for drinks, this console is really pushing me towards pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Yeah, just released. Here ya go....

VCR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

disappionting that they boasted about the extra servers for LIVE and how amazing it is and then said very little. Why more servers?

Looks like 360 is getting soundly ignored from now on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

<My avatar.

Arawn wrote: »
    If I install it off a disc then I have a ton of coasters for drinks, this console is really pushing me towards pc

PC games worked like that since forever. Install and still required the CD in the drive. Well most did or do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Arawn wrote: »

you use them to blind your friends when you play fifa

its what i do anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

COYVB wrote: »
    Seems console linked, rather than account linked, but I've not had clarification yet

Surely it'll have to be both? One license for console, one for profile. Console dies, bring your profile to your new console and transfer the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

5uVW6c.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

Sony and Microsoft made a gentleman's agreement not to use the latest hardware in their consoles, they want to focus on keeping costs low to maximise profits, and saps will buy these consoles in their droves anyway so they can get away with it. Hopefully Apple or Samsung will go into this space to give us a half decent console and some much needed competition for the industry.

Carnegie wrote: »
    Sony and Microsoft made a gentleman's agreement not to use the latest hardware in their consoles, they want to focus on keeping costs low to maximise profits, and saps will buy these consoles in their droves anyway so they can get away with it. Hopefully Apple or Samsung will go into this space to give us a half decent console and some much needed competition for the industry.

Consoles never use the latest hardware, it's impossible given the lead times for game development. If you want launch titles you need to use 12-18 month old hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Don Mattrick was interviewed on Gamestrailers just after it and confirmed it wasn't always on and expressly said you could play single player without a connection
    Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

COYVB wrote: »

Really?? So in the event of the inevitable console failure a few years down the road...that would be the story?

Not backwards compatible - confirmed

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Don Mattrick was interviewed on Gamestrailers just after it and confirmed it wasn't always on and expressly said you could play single player without a connection

Correct, the console doesnt force you to be always on. HOWEVER MS is "strongly encouraging" developers to make their games require always on connectivity

EnterNow wrote: »
    Really?? So in the event of the inevitable console failure a few years down the road...that would be the story?

Ask Nintendo :P

Carnegie wrote: »

Have you looked at the history of consoles and their specs compared to PCs.

Consoles take so long to design and produce to market that will always be at least 12-18 months behind top end PCs. You will never ever get a console of equal spec of a current PC at release. It's not possible.

But and the big but is that consoles and their games are optomized for them. Games for PCs have to cater for a wide range of specs and need the extra oommphh with all the other backround programs running on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Link?

There isn't one, it was during a livestream. It might be put up later. It seems they're trying to go about it in a sneakier way though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement