Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dunworth1 wrote: »
    this also means that gamestop can buy all there games in the for half the price and then ship them here and sell for full whack

Not quite. As a business, they are governed by the rules and regulations of the EU, meaning that any product that they sell in the EU must have support for multiple languages.

The US version of games presumably doesn't have support for these languages.

They'd also have to pay customs tax on anything they import for sale. Technically, even people that order from Amazon are meant to pay the customs tax themselves, but that rarely happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not quite. As a business, they are governed by the rules and regulations of the EU, meaning that any product that they sell in the EU must have support for multiple languages.

The US version of games presumably doesn't have support for these languages.

They'd also have to pay customs tax on anything they import for sale. Technically, even people that order from Amazon are meant to pay the customs tax themselves, but that rarely happens.

I was looking at Xbox One games on amazon.com and liked the prices went to order and discovered they place a $15 customs/hold charge on your order in the event that it's stopped :eek: Now I'm not sure if this is a guaranteed charge or if it only gets charged if customs get a hold of it, anyone know????

UK Amazon charge the irish vat rate as far as I know so you should never be liable with them for duty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

calex71 wrote: »
    I was looking at Xbox One games on amazon.com and liked the prices went to order and discovered they place a $15 customs/hold charge on your order in the event that it's stopped :eek: Now I'm not sure if this is a guaranteed charge or if it only gets charged if customs get a hold of it, anyone know????

UK Amazon charge the irish vat rate as far as I know so you should never be liable with them for duty.

Looks like a hold is put on, and then gets refunded after 60 days if there is no charge applied by customs.
    Amazon.com wrote:
    Calculating Fees

When AmazonGlobal products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the Import Fees will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country ("Import Fees Deposit"). The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.

The Import Fees Deposit is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply and isn't an actual calculation. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the date the taxes and duties were estimated and the applicable taxes and duties on the date of import into the destination country. The duty or tax rate is often determined by the classification of a good, which varies by country and region.

For AmazonGlobal items, you won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, please check the seller's policies.

If the actual Import Fees (paid by the carrier on behalf of the recipient to the customs and tax authorities of the destination country) are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail confirming the amount of the refund. The process takes 60 days from the shipment date.

Note: The above terms also apply to the shipment of any replacement product that might be shipped if there's a problem with the original shipment. If you return a product to us, you'll be the exporter from the original shipping destination responsible for compliance with all export laws of that country. Title and risk of loss transfer to us upon receipt at our fulfillment centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thats true,

I wonder how we stand now. Since all Xbox One games (on disc) are now region free. We can buy a game from any country in the world at much lower prices without violating any terms or conditions. I wonder does this mean MS will be more relaxed about us buying game downloads from the US store.

Region free discs doesnt mean MS will allow license bypassing using region switching. They could easily block all the games you bought, or block your gamertag or console. They have been pretty aggressive about this in the past.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    this also means that gamestop can buy all there games in the for half the price and then ship them here and sell for full whack

Only if the game is licensed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Hi there, does anyone know how much data allowance call of duty ghosts, will use? My lad just got x box one with download code and I don't want to risk going over our data allowance. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Daisy M wrote: »
    Hi there, does anyone know how much data allowance call of duty ghosts, will use? My lad just got x box one with download code and I don't want to risk going over our data allowance. Thanks

at least 49 gigabytes. hope you have a fast connection!

Thanks sky. That's unreal, our monthly data is 40gig a couple of months ago he pushed us over by 2 gig and it cost 50 quid. Obviously he's not a happy camper after hearing this news but I'm glad I asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Thanks sky. That's unreal, our monthly data is 40gig a couple of months ago he pushed us over by 2 gig and it cost 50 quid. Obviously he's not a happy camper after hearing this news but I'm glad I asked!

yeah next gen games will have be massive file sizes so he will have to stick to the disks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

contact your isp. 40GB is nothing these days

We are with 3 under national broadband scheme, so not a lot we can do for now. 40 gig is tight there days, only a few years back we only used 10 or 15 a month its unbelievably how things change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

We are with 3 under national broadband scheme, so not a lot we can do for now. 40 gig is tight there days, only a few years back we only used 10 or 15 a month its unbelievably how things change.

If you know the exact date your billing Month rolls over, you could always download half before midnight and the rest after.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Regarding the size of COD Ghosts - its 39gb to download from xbox live and so far there's been 2 x 700mb updates (as far as i can remember) to the game so thats another 1.5gb download to add to that...either way your gonna go over your allowance unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

The Size of the game downloads is crazy. What happens when your hard drive is full, do you have to delete a game and download it again to play it. Can you copy them onto an external drive?
    My BB is only 1.3MB download, I had to give my xbox to a friend to download ghosts for me so it would be playable on Christmas morning.
    I can imagine all the xbox's switched on Christmas morning sitting there all day downloading updates and games. A lot of disappointed faces :(

For those who are worried about download sizes/speeds if you know someone with a disc version of the game you can borrow it and install it then buy it from the market place or using a code.

Not a perfect solution as i'm sure many are in a position where they don't know anyone with a copy of the game :(

They really should employ some kind of compression to the downloads though that would add to the HDD space required to install it if it needs to be extracted by the OS to install it after download.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I don't think I'll be too eager to download full games. I'll get XBLA games, but otherwise will stick to boxed copies. Reinstalling from disc will be a lot better for me than depending on being able to redownload a game at any time, and being able to do so in a timely manner. Reinstalling from disc is better as it'll be faster, and also I'll not be depending on my games from an online source. My games will have as much reliability as the disc/console. Not tied to the reliability of a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

anyone order from wow hd? how long does it take to send games to ireland? my girlfriend ordered my christmas presents on the 3rd dec but only got dispatch emails yesterday , wanted christmas day to mainly be about battering zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

peteeeed wrote: »
    anyone order from wow hd? how long does it take to send games to ireland? my girlfriend ordered my christmas presents on the 3rd dec but only got dispatch emails yesterday , wanted christmas day to mainly be about battering zombies

Warned someone here about them before. They take about 3 weeks to arrive as they send them from Hong Kong. They also never tell you if an item is on back order before you buy it which is annoying so you could end up waiting over a month for a game to come. Not worth the cheap prices tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Warned someone here about them before. They take about 3 weeks to arrive as they send them from Hong Kong. They also never tell you if an item is on back order before you buy it which is annoying so you could end up waiting over a month for a game to come. Not worth the cheap prices tbh.

cr@p

10 days for me every time, though i know others who have waited 3 weeks, I haven't order much from them but there were a few things and it was stated when ordering that " this item will not be dispatched for 6-10 days" Had one thing dispatched yesterday which was 10 days after i ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

calex71 wrote: »
    10 days for me every time, though i know others who have waited 3 weeks, I haven't order much from them but there were a few things and it was stated when ordering that " this item will not be dispatched for 6-10 days" Had one thing dispatched yesterday which was 10 days after i ordered it.

Last thing I ordered was dispatched the next day and arrived 3 weeks later. Previous to that, I ordered a game and then it was on back order for 2 weeks and arrived about 3 weeks after dispatch. By the time it arrives you've lost a lot of your interest in playing that game, for me anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Haven't played, and don't want to on the basis of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Ha fair enough. Though it was a bit too good to be true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Haven't played, and don't want to on the basis of this.

Looks awful, but CEX buying it for €27, buy 100 of them and sell them to CEX and you'll make €300 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So I know this has been discussed, but I've been reluctant to actually take the plunge so to speak.

But is it completely safe to change my Xbox region in order to use voice controls? Are there any risks of repercussions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

So I know this has been discussed, but I've been reluctant to actually take the plunge so to speak.

But is it completely safe to change my Xbox region in order to use voice controls? Are there any risks of repercussions?
    I have been using my xbox mostly with the region set to UK since launch and had no problems, I only changed back when I was downloading Peggle. I have also set it to other regions to download apps and I even downloaded the free fall map for Ghosts from the US marketplace because it wasn't available for me on the Irish one. As far as I'm aware MS have no problem with you changing your region for voice controls, the only time you might have a problem is if you start buying games or stuff from other marketplaces to get them cheaper as you are not supposed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

dor83 wrote: »
    I have been using my xbox mostly with the region set to UK since launch and had no problems, I only changed back when I was downloading Peggle. I have also set it to other regions to download apps and I even downloaded the free fall map for Ghosts from the US marketplace because it wasn't available for me on the Irish one. As far as I'm aware MS have no problem with you changing your region for voice controls, the only time you might have a problem is if you start buying games or stuff from other marketplaces to get them cheaper as you are not supposed to do that.

They have no issue with this either apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Lamposts wrote: »
    They have no issue with this either apparently.
    I'd still be a little wary of it because you need to use a fake billing address to get your cc to work so technically it could be considered against their terms of use, they may never actually do anything about it but they could if they want to so there is a little bit of risk.

• Advertisement

Guys anyway to change the aspect ratio of dvd so they play full screen and not vertical letter boxed , my music and simpsons ones play that way and dont see an option to change it on the one, could be just my ****ty tv though

On 360 there was a stretch to fit option or some such

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement