Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

maximoose wrote: »
    Just over a week for the two games I've got from them. Will be using them a lot.

How much is delivery with those guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

How much is delivery with those guys?

5 Euro per item, used games are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

And just so you know, as I remember some people asking before if it was an issue when buying from them, I had no problems trading in the games afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

And just so you know, as I remember some people asking before if it was an issue when buying from them, I had no problems trading in the games afterwards.

Just not in Gamestop, when they scan the game it shows up as being non EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »

Indeed. See here for the Neogaf thread with some of the rumours. Also seems to be legit. The Titanfall Xbox looks quite nice to me, but then again, I like the look of the Xbox anyway.

I'm still convinced that we'll see a disk-less version as well, probably around the same time that Microsoft let retail stock game codes.

The release of a TB system makes sense, too, given that.

Halo 2 Anniversary edition :eek:

ZANZIBAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, its been obvious it'd happen eventually but it hasn't been officially confirmed as of yet that I can see. We don't know if development on it has started being the main point of interest here. I'd bet it has though.

I take everything I see on neogaf with a massive pinch of salt.

Being "bish-ified" obviously must mean something over there towards credibility. If all the stuff that guy leaked is true, I'm quite excited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I take everything I see on neogaf with a massive pinch of salt.

Being "bish-ified" obviously must mean something over there towards credibility. If all the stuff that guy leaked is true, I'm quite excited.

As do I, I was quite sceptical of all the "cboat" rumours, but a lot of them have since turned out to be true, so nowadays I take on board any rumours that originate there, but always with a massive pinch of salt. I also don't read any of the threads there, it's a hateful place.

Anyway, I tracked down what "bish-ified" means, and all it means is the mod (bish) has verified the identity of the leaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It'll be interesting to see how much of a positive influence titanfall affects the sales of the system, I know a few lads in my own circle of friends who have have been holding off on buying the system until this arrives and indeed it seems to be the first "must have" game for the console.

Its only a matter of weeks now!

Just thinking now about if the One does release a discless console. What then? Will they continue to release a console with a drive and one without? If so, are they going to go with 1 TB (no blu-ray) and keep the hard drive as it stands for with blu-ray?

I don't think its a good move honestly now I think about it. There'll be a lot of people who wouldn't take too kindly to not being able to play blu-ray movies as an option on a console and it kinda goes against their media functionality thing.

Also, if they were to have most people (or all if they decided to go all discless) what happens with game releases in terms of disc? Very limited runs? I can see that being the sorta thing that would be asking for a class action lawsuit though maybe moreso if they went all download. People who bought the console now would have bought it with the understanding of being able to play discs, and surely anything that would change the game to be download only would be something actionable, no? Maybe I'm just a bit too sleep deprived, but it doesn't seem like it will fly (or fly well) from how I see it.

I just don't see the discless One happening honestly the more I think about it. It'd just be a nightmare for MS and for the gamer. Though if it does happen I'll be happy I hadn't gotten around to buying yet.

Just thinking now about if the One does release a discless console. What then? Will they continue to release a console with a drive and one without? If so, are they going to go with 1 TB (no blu-ray) and keep the hard drive as it stands for with blu-ray?

I don't think its a good move honestly now I think about it. There'll be a lot of people who wouldn't take too kindly to not being able to play blu-ray movies as an option on a console and it kinda goes against their media functionality thing.

Also, if they were to have most people (or all if they decided to go all discless) what happens with game releases in terms of disc? Very limited runs? I can see that being the sorta thing that would be asking for a class action lawsuit though maybe moreso if they went all download. People who bought the console now would have bought it with the understanding of being able to play discs, and surely anything that would change the game to be download only would be something actionable, no? Maybe I'm just a bit too sleep deprived, but it doesn't seem like it will fly (or fly well) from how I see it.

I just don't see the discless One happening honestly the more I think about it. It'd just be a nightmare for MS and for the gamer. Though if it does happen I'll be happy I hadn't gotten around to buying yet.

Not sure how it would be a nightmare. It's just more consumer choice.

Most likely, they'll just have three SKUs:

Xbox One with a disk drive and 500gb
    Xbox One with a disk drive and 1TB
    Xbox One without a disk drive and 1TB

That will give them room to do price differentiation on each SKU.

If people want to play Blu-rays, buy one with a disk drive.

Disk based games are not going anywhere in this generation. I believe digital sales will grow, but retail will still be the majority.

I think a parallel could be drawn with the release of the Xbox 360, where one SKU had no hard drive. Didn't seem to hurt much back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's the camera they should be taking out, not the disk drive

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not sure how it would be a nightmare. It's just more consumer choice.
    So long as they *do* keep an SKU with the blu-ray disc, yes, that is so. The nightmare would be the "you can have any SKU as long as its sans disc drive".

So long as they *do* keep an SKU with the blu-ray disc, yes, that is so. The nightmare would be the "you can have any SKU as long as its sans disc drive".

Which won't happen this generation. Even their original plans for this generation, with the always online requirement, included a disk drive.

Next gen? Maybe. Probably.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's the camera they should be taking out, not the disk drive

A lot of people would say that yes, but I can see why they would want to keep it in. They see it as a integral part of the unit, a way for users(not gamers) to interact with their tv/console without a controller.

Personally, I don't have an opinion either way, I quite like the Kinect. But the smartest business play would be to take out everything that isn't necessary and drive the price down massively as quickly as possible, get it into as many homes as possible. As that's happening, push digital more than retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

CatInABox wrote: »
    A lot of people would say that yes, but I can see why they would want to keep it in. They see it as a integral part of the unit, a way for users(not gamers) to interact with their tv/console without a controller.

Personally, I don't have an opinion either way, I quite like the Kinect. But the smartest business play would be to take out everything that isn't necessary and drive the price down massively as quickly as possible, get it into as many homes as possible. As that's happening, push digital more than retail.

I'd be more open to getting one if it was gone. As would an awful lot of other people. It'd be a waste of money for me because I'd have zero interest in using it. Why pay €100 for a useless gimmick that doesn't add anything to the games?

The controller is more and adequate at doing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd be more open to getting one if it was gone. As would an awful lot of other people. It'd be a waste of money for me because I'd have zero interest in using it. Why pay €100 for a useless gimmick that doesn't add anything to the games?

you'd need to have tried it before you dismiss it so readily, some of the stuff it can do is really fantastic - at the weekend I fired up my xbox, said "xbox bing" then said the name of a film I wanted to watch. In seconds it had found the film on xbox movies, amazon lovefilm and netflix, and it told me that I could watch it for free with my existing netflix subscription.

I honestly dont think we'll ever see the one without the kinect, it'd split the user base too much into the haves and have nots, and as a result stall development of voice / camera features for everyone.

• Advertisement

For you and me, without a doubt.

I put that controller into the hands of my wife the other day, and she had no idea what to do with it. I then told her the commands to use the Kinect and she took to it like a fish to water.

Microsoft, after seeing the primary use for the Xbox 360 turn from gaming to media consumption, are making a play for the audience that it had on the 360, not the gamers that it started out with.

In my opinion, the only thing that is holding them back from nailing the casual market is the high price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In my experience voice and gesture control is far too inaccurate and more importantly slower as a result. It's good when it works but more often than not I'm simply frustrated by it, I think they should be looking more towards secondscreen/smartglass integration

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

One of the main reason I opted for Xbox was for the Skype capability, works amazingly on the TV, auto zooms to whoever's talking etc. I also use the voice features a fair bit, pretty accurate for me. Can see it only getting better in time. Think the difference with the playstation is that their camera is ****e and doesn't really add anything to the experience.

Also, the March update would be a great time to introduce support for Sky, and more languages/dialects for Kinect.

I'd prefer March to April, when more languages/dialects will be required for the new countries anyway.

twam2008 wrote: »
    One of the main reason I opted for Xbox was for the Skype capability, works amazingly on the TV, auto zooms to whoever's talking etc. I also use the voice features a fair bit, pretty accurate for me. Can see it only getting better in time. Think the difference with the playstation is that their camera is ****e and doesn't really add anything to the experience.

The skype app is excellent, amazing looking at your own image in contrast to the crap quality of the persons you are chatting to.

Think it was mentioned before but you get 100 minutes a month worth of free calls to any number when you log into skype, not sure if it's still going but we got them when we installed the skype app at launch, using our existing account, so didn't have to be a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I was much the same as you ,absolutely hated the idea of paying for a piece of kit for what I thought back then would be the useless piece but with over two months in I couldn't see myself using the xbox without it.its just makes navigation from different apps to simple tasks such as sending messages and watching tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

calex71 wrote: »
    The skype app is excellent, amazing looking at your own image in contrast to the crap quality of the persons you are chatting to.

Think it was mentioned before but you get 100 minutes a month worth of free calls to any number when you log into skype, not sure if it's still going but we got them when we installed the skype app at launch, using our existing account, so didn't have to be a new user.

Is there anyway to be logged into Skype on the Xbox One without having the Skype App open in front of you. Like if I was playing a game or watching something on Netflix could I have Skype running in the background so I can receive messages and calls etc?

Is there anyway to be logged into Skype on the Xbox One without having the Skype App open in front of you. Like if I was playing a game or watching something on Netflix could I have Skype running in the background so I can receive messages and calls etc?

So long as you are signed into the account, then it should function like this.

You can also set it to quiet mode so those notifications don't come up.

As far as I know once you install the app it signs in automatically every time you log in to the xbox. Which is actually a major problem for me, I don't want to get getting messages when im watching tv or playing games more so. You have to set it to appear offline there was no way I could see for it not to auto sign you in. Have never received a call outside of the app so can't say if it's possible but I can say you will get messages just like ones sent from xbox while you play/watch.

Edit: Asd CatInABox says it has quiet mode to disable notifications, put certain people can get quiet stroppy if you are percieved to be ignoring a call/message when it shows you as online :D

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    As far as I know once you install the app it signs in automatically every time you log in to the xbox. Which is actually a major problem for me, I don't want to get getting messages when im watching tv or playing games more so. You have to set it to appear offline there was no way I could see for it not to auto sign you in. Have never received a call outside of the app so can't say if it's possible but I can say you will get messages just like ones sent from xbox while you play/watch.

Edit: Asd CatInABox says it has quiet mode to disable notifications, put certain people can get quiet stroppy if you are percieved to be ignoring a call/message when it shows you as online :D

It also has an invisible setting for those times! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement