Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

From every review I read - it wouldn't be worth the bandwidth if it was free with 'Games with Gold'.

80% of the bandwidth goes to downloading the cheesy bad 1080p live action cut scenes this one has, it's essentially one bad joke told over and over. Avoid!!!!!

Also it will most certainly be the 1st game to go free wheever we get games with gold on the One, look at the Maw on 360 how many people actually paid for that vs those who got it free somehow? I had pals on my friends list from the US offering codes for it they got in Mc Donalds lol :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

miju wrote: »
    Yes it downloads them automatically. The reason I think which has been offered by Microsoft (and I think it's a valid one).

If you don't see an update being applied then you may not notice it, which may make you think you've not received the update (suppose we're talking yanks here) which will frustrate gamers / lead to increase in support calls / tickets.

You're close to it, and is probably a side benefit. If it was the main reason, they could just have a pop up to tell you that it is installed.

The main reason is to do with the fact that it is possible to turn the Xbox One off at the switch.

Consider this scenario: You are at home, watching TV, while unbeknownst to you, the Xbox One has downloaded a 13 GB patch. It starts installing, but due to its size, it takes up to ten minutes. Meanwhile, you finish watching TV, and decide to turn off all your electronics at the switch. Your Xbox One is now a brick.

It's possible to auto-update on a phone because there's a built in battery. I feel that they've made the right call in terms of what it does automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks. That's actually a pretty good explanation for the Xbox One vs. a phone.

I'm just curious on how it works compared to Auto App Updates to Windows 8.1? Surely there's the same risk of pulling the plug in that scenario? I've never been prompted to update an app the first time I've run it after it has been updated in the background.

And it wouldn't necessarily brick your console, it should only affect the Game / App to be updated?

(p.s. I am now genuinely curious about the process because it'd save me a few minutes of useful game time if it could start the install itself when it's in low power mode ... It's rather irritating to switch over for a quick kickabout in FIFA during a commercial break, only for it to take the whole time installing an update)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks. That's actually a pretty good explanation for the Xbox One vs. a phone.

I'm just curious on how it works compared to Auto App Updates to Windows 8.1? Surely there's the same risk of pulling the plug in that scenario? I've never been prompted to update an app the first time I've run it after it has been updated in the background.

And it wouldn't necessarily brick your console, it should only affect the Game / App to be updated?

(p.s. I am now genuinely curious about the process because it'd save me a few minutes of useful game time if it could start the install itself when it's in low power mode ... It's rather irritating to switch over for a quick kickabout in FIFA during a commercial break, only for it to take the whole time installing an update)

Not quite the same use case. Most people are almost trained into turning their PC's off by using either the shutdown option, or by pressing the power button on the PC. Both of those methods safely turn your machine off, and display a notice if they are installing something.

If however, you turn your PC off at the wall, then all bets are off. Corruption can and does occur in that case.

As to whether it would affect just the game or the entire console, to be honest, I'm not too clear. I would expect the OS to be resilient to that sort of corruption, and just require you to delete and reinstall all of the game data, but I just don't know. In cases where I don't know what will happen, I tend towards caution. Most likely, given that Microsoft expects to sell so many consoles to non-techy people, perhaps they decided caution was the way to go too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Any ideas when the official adaptor for 360 headsets is coming out, it was meant to be at the start of the year but can't find any yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Any ideas when the official adaptor for 360 headsets is coming out, it was meant to be at the start of the year but can't find any yet

I'd reckon mid march, turtle beach have Titanfall headsets announced, so Id say it'll be when the game launches

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not quite the same use case. Most people are almost trained into turning their PC's off by using either the shutdown option, or by pressing the power button on the PC. Both of those methods safely turn your machine off, and display a notice if they are installing something.

If however, you turn your PC off at the wall, then all bets are off. Corruption can and does occur in that case.

As to whether it would affect just the game or the entire console, to be honest, I'm not too clear. I would expect the OS to be resilient to that sort of corruption, and just require you to delete and reinstall all of the game data, but I just don't know. In cases where I don't know what will happen, I tend towards caution. Most likely, given that Microsoft expects to sell so many consoles to non-techy people, perhaps they decided caution was the way to go too?
    Good explanation, thanks - another mystery solved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

@majornelson: Here is what the Xbox One Battery Controller indicator looks like. It’s coming in a system update next week. http://t.co/shUjR1OG2o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Updates imminent:
    Some of the features you can expect to see on February 11 include:

The ability to see and manage your storage space. With this update, you will find it easy to find how much space your content takes up and better manage your content. You can also control your install lineup and more easily manage your download queue. We’ve separated My Games and My Apps into separate lists, so you can easily create separate queues for both. Now you can pick the order in which you want your content to load and we’ve added a boot progress indicator so you can better track updates while they load.

The battery power indicator is back! You can see it right on the home screen, so you can easily track how much battery life is left on your controller.

And, you will be able to use your USB keyboard with your Xbox One.

These are just a few of the many updates we will be shipping on February 11. We’ll share more details on these and other upcoming features in the coming weeks. We have several surprises in store that we think you’ll love.

March 4 system updates – countdown to “Titanfall”

On March 4, in advance of what is expected to be the biggest game launch of the year, we will be delivering another system update to prepare your Xbox One for “Titanfall.” This update will contain many new features and improvements, most significantly to our party and multiplayer systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

@majornelson: Here is what the Xbox One Battery Controller indicator looks like. It’s coming in a system update next week. http://t.co/shUjR1OG2o

Yay!

Another problem however is knowing which controller is P1, P2 etc when you have local multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yay!

Another problem however is knowing which controller is P1, P2 etc when you have local multiplayer.

If the friend is signed in and you have kinect plugged in it should automatically know who is holding which controller. Not sure if this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Interesting that there are two updates coming in quick succession like that. No mention of the Twitch streaming ability due to release in Q1 2014 though :(

If I could figure out how to use twitter I'd actually tweet him and ask what the story is with that LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

Microsoft are going to miss out on a massive opportunity if they don't have Twitch streaming implemented for the launch of Titanfall.

I wonder what these "several surprises" are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

External HD support PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

5.1 Dolby & an official chat adapter is all I want... well and new games that run at 1080p 60fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

USB Keyboard on One????? Eh I'm already using one :rolleyes:

Don't care about twitch streaming as I'm sure 90% of users don't either, battery indicator should have been build into the controller like the last one, hopefully this will at least have a low charge notification on screen though I think thats being a little optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DaLad wrote: »
    If the friend is signed in and you have kinect plugged in it should automatically know who is holding which controller. Not sure if this helps.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I was thinking more of say we both leave to get food and come back, there are two identical controllers on the ground with no indication which is which. Its not a big annoyance but the 360 controller's clearly signalled controller numbers were one of the best things about it, and the PS4 has colour coded lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

miju wrote: »
    Interesting that there are two updates coming in quick succession like that.
    Really, they need to.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I was thinking more of say we both leave to get food and come back, there are two identical controllers on the ground with no indication which is which. Its not a big annoyance but the 360 controller's clearly signalled controller numbers were one of the best things about it, and the PS4 has colour coded lights.

Well, when you pick them up, it should automatically detect who is who and set them accordingly, no? That's what I thought anyway.

More news on what's coming from Tom Warren:
    @tomwarren wrote:
    Microsoft accidentally sent me its internal PR about the Xbox One updates. It sounds like TV judder issues might get addressed in Feb/March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Basic functions such as knowing when someone comes online and being able to send a voice message are well needed,

The annoying thing where it puts u into ur own party when u come online is another thing.

Navigation through the dashboard with the controller is just plain tedious and time consuming not to mind the slow response time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

round 1 to microsoft on the firmware update battle....a much better release then the crapfest the ps4 just got....kudos MS!

Well.. We have to wait and see if it works first!

jenjenten wrote: »
    round 1 to microsoft on the firmware update battle....a much better release then the crapfest the ps4 just got....kudos MS!

Well, most would say that Microsoft have more to do. Wouldn't be wrong either, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'm really starting to regret holding out for the X1 version of Minecraft :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm really starting to regret holding out for the X1 version of Minecraft :(

Get it on PC, you get so limited on the Xbox. The Minecraft modding scene is one of the best, and that will never be available for the console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Anyone know where is doing the best deal on the one at the minute?? or are they all kind of standard ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know where is doing the best deal on the one at the minute?? or are they all kind of standard ??

some online shops still have bundles with games included, try amazon and play.com

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    If you use Fatcheese (and it tracks properly for you), you can get €20.33 cashback when you order an Xbox One from the Microsoft Store (http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/microsoft-store-ie/)

Obviously, if you order any other items that would increase. I did this and got an extra €2.85 for a Controller with Play and Charge kit.

*** Standard Warning about Fatcheese: Some people have different experiences and the transaction does not track for others. For me it worked successfully, but your mileage may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Not sure if it has been answered but since the game is out on the 11th March in the Us and 14th in the Uk is anyone swapping their regions on the xbox one to buy the game early or is this risking a ban?

I knew people have done it to buy games cheaper but just curious!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement