Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I think what you meant to say there was that. You play on smaller screens.

One of the exciting points of this next gen for me was proper, full 1080p.

Exactly..for FPS games 1080p is a must..I've been gaming at 1080p or higher for the past 7 years or so and even now consoles can't manage it?
    MS should have dropped the kinect and spend the extra budget on a proper GPU solution.

have to laugh at this though

http://www.p4rgaming.com/xbox-one-buyers-convinced-720p-is-better-than-1080p/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Blazer wrote: »
    Exactly..for FPS games 1080p is a must..I've been gaming at 1080p or higher for the past 7 years or so and even now consoles can't manage it?
    MS should have dropped the kinect and spend the extra budget on a proper GPU solution.

Playing devils advocate here, but how many rigs/graphics cards have you gone through in 7 years and how much did it cost to keep up with 1080p @ 60fsp assuming thats what you were hitting and the big question is was it worth the money? Really apples and oranges, PC vs Console in terms of quality of graphics but some might argue the cost incurred by the master race to keep up isn't worth it.

calex71 wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate here, but how many rigs/graphics cards have you gone through in 7 years and how much did it cost to keep up with 1080p @ 60fsp assuming thats what you were hitting and the big question is was it worth the money? Really apples and oranges, PC vs Console in terms of quality of graphics but some might argue the cost incurred by the master race to keep up isn't worth it.

Not as expensive as you think.
    My previous rig lasted me 4 years and I upgraded the graphics cards on a bi yearly basis so after selling my previous cards to fund the new ones it wasn't so bad.
    A decent board+cpu+ram will last you 3-4 years now for gaming.
    When you factor in the cost of PC games being cheaper than consoles plus the added subscription fees for consoles there's really not a whole load of difference in it. Especially at this time..I've never seen PC components so cheap and the cost of a system you can build right now is pretty amazing.
    Sure not as cheap at the PS4/XB1 but here's the caveat. They say for the console you're getting about 7 years of gaming out of it. However what happens after year 2 when you console breaks down? If it's not under warranty you have to go and buy another one. For the PC most components have a 2-3 year warranty so you're basically covered for 2 years at the very minimum. Here's another caveat...lets say the GPU packs it in on your xbox1? That'll be €500 to replace it. For the PC outside of your 2/3 year warranty? Say from €100-€600 depending on how much you want to upgrade. If your console breaks down you have to replace it all..if you PC does you replace the component.
    I've also had consoles from the PS one right up to the Xbox, 360 and then the XB1 and its been the most disappointing upgrade ever. I don't want my console to be a mediocre jack of all trades..I want it to be a master at gaming.

I loved my Xbox 360..graphics were good and at the start it was nearly a match for my pc. Even later on with games such as Gears of War etc they still looked good albeit in lower resolutions. Plus the PS3 was an equal match for it. Now the PS4 graphically wise is kicking XB1's asses.
    I said it on a previous thread but I reckon MS will release an upgraded XB1 with better graphics down the line to match the PS4 if Dev teams don't utilise esram correctly or it doesnt' give them the same gains.
    As each major game comes out on XB1/PS4 MS can't afford to have PS4 winning everytime on graphics and res.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

There is actually some truth to what he says, can't find the chart now when I want it lol, but it was the one that shows, screen size, distance from it and how far you would need to be from it to get a full 1080p benefit over 720p.

Yes, that is true. Not much point looking for 1080p on a 32" TV. But I use a 100" projector screen, so to me 1080p is a big deal.

Here's the difference in quality from a PC vs XB1.
    Note the reduced resolution,FOV reduction etc. Plus you have the so called "fog" on the XB1 to hide the image quality gaps and keep the fps up.

8e8bb962-dfd9-4476-8141-7e524804d415_resized_600x326.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

a) Not really sure why you're posting that here
    b) The pic selected for xbone is intriguing. The "fog" you think is being used to hide cracks looks exactly like the "fog" in the PC picture, but more of it. It appears to be smoke coming out of a Titan? I find it seriously hard to believe that the picture on the Xbox will be constantly that hazy. Looks like a carefully selected pic for bashing purposes. Why not compare two identical situations?

Where's that from btw?

maximoose wrote: »
    a) Not really sure why you're posting that here
    b) The pic selected for xbone is intriguing. The "fog" you think is being used to hide cracks looks exactly like the "fog" in the PC picture, but more of it. It appears to be smoke coming out of a Titan? I find it seriously hard to believe that the picture on the Xbox will be constantly that hazy. Looks like a carefully selected pic for bashing purposes. Why not compare two identical situations?

Where's that from btw?

from Hexus.
    I've applied for both the beta on XB1 and PC so hopefully I get both and can show the difference between them.
    My pet hate really is FOV...it's appalling on Xbox and that's what really kills me on multiplayer games..

To put the 1080p into perspective.
    Titanfall is built on a modified 2004 Source Engine by Valve..this was used for Counter strike and Half Life 2.
    This engine is 10 years old this year and Respawn used this engine to maintain 60fps for the Xbox360 and PS3. (Titanfall was originally only for consoles). When they found out those consoles couldn't run it they expanded to next gen and PC.
    However even the XB1 still can't run a 10 year game engine at 1080p @60fps.
    The minimum specs for a PC is a Celeron dual core CPU bog standard cpu out since 2009) and a 8800GT which was out in Aug 2007.
    So lets look at this...a pc that is say 7 years old can run this game with it's 10 year old source engine. It wouldn't stress it that much. So how the hell can the XB1 only run this game at 792p/900p and just about maintaining 60fps?
    Now do you see how disappointed I am with the XB1.
    If they can't manage 1080p/60fps on a 10 year old engine (sure it's modded but the core engine is still 10 years old) then how the hell is it ever going to reach 1080p for most games?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/titanfalls-minimum-pc-specs-extremely-reasonable/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

However even the XB1 still can't run a 10 year game engine at 1080p @60fps.
    The minimum specs for a PC is a Celeron dual core CPU bog standard cpu out since 2009) and a 8800GT which was out in Aug 2007.

Will the minimum specs get posted there get you 1080p @60fps?

They should get you very close to it.
    I've one or two mates running PCs 3-4 years old so will get them to check it out.
    I was running Half Life 2 a few years back on a 4-5 year old card (top of the range back then) and it was getting well over 100fps on it.
    With my current setup I'd be getting well over 250fps on Half Life 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There has to be something wrong with that picture, there's no way the fog effect should be like that for the entire game surely?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I'm sorry but that picture cant be used as a fair comparison. They are both in different areas, positions so cannot be used as a fair comparison due to shadowing / lighting effects.

Take a side by side comparison when you first spawn and then you have a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

miju wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that picture cant be used as a fair comparison. They are both in different areas, positions so cannot be used as a fair comparison due to shadowing / lighting effects.

Take a side by side comparison when you first spawn and then you have a fair point.

It cant be used as a fair comparison because the console screenshot is taken from an alpha build with deliberate reduction in texture and graphical quality.

Still no sign of the update yet, anyone else spot any news of it ? I found no new info when I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People have been getting it, but lots are pissed because they haven't. Apparently, people who played the alpha got in to the beta too, which isn't doing much for those still waiting.

Still no sign of the update yet, anyone else spot any news of it ? I found no new info when I checked.

Could be next week before it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Got an email earlier from Videogamesplus, they have Ryse on sale for 39.99CA works out around 33EU delivered.

I'm a little concerned about VGP. They said they have shipped a game to me on the 3rd of February and I still haven't received it. What is the usual delivery time from these guys?

Thanks

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned about VGP. They said they have shipped a game to me on the 3rd of February and I still haven't received it. What is the usual delivery time from these guys?

Thanks

Not sure, I'm waiting on one shipped last friday so only 7 days so far for me, I am expecting to be waiting 10-14 days from shipping though.

Shipped 3rd Feb - should be with you shortly

The two times I've used them it arrived within 7-10 days. Shouldn't be much longer.

Almost tempted to get Ryse at that price but I've barely touched Tomb Raider and have about 7 360 games begging for me to play them. Be strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here's the difference in quality from a PC vs XB1.
    Note the reduced resolution,FOV reduction etc. Plus you have the so called "fog" on the XB1 to hide the image quality gaps and keep the fps up.

That screenshot is also from different parts of the animation process. Compare the difference between 3:57 and 3:59 on the video at (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8r_qYoFv4Q#t=239).

The Fog on the left picture is smoke from a rocket trail.

OK, I'm still sure that a high-end PC rig can smoke (no pun intended) the Xbox One. But as long as the game is an insane amount fun, I don't give a monkeys if it's a 721-and-a-half-p.

The main thing is: If your friends all play on PC, get it on PC; If your friends all play on Xbox, get it on Xbox; If they play on PS4, well, enjoy Killzone until Destiny comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is it not the case that the graphics and res in the Beta would be lower, to reduce download/install size - convinced I have seen that is the case with Demo's, so assume similar might be happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Not so much for the download/install size I'd figure. More a server thing.

Be very interested to see DayZ make it's way to the one

DayZ creater has talked extensively with Microsoft but consoles yet to rival PC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

maximoose wrote: »
    Be very interested to see DayZ make it's way to the one

DayZ creater has talked extensively with Microsoft but consoles yet to rival PC

he has stated before its more than likely it will but it will about 3 years away if it is done.

he had alot of concerns about MS approach to indie development and amount of patches Day Z does on an ongoing basis.

this is probably why they were extensive talks between them.

actually creators of Rust are also making serious noises about it coming to the XB1

is it not the case that the graphics and res in the Beta would be lower, to reduce download/install size - convinced I have seen that is the case with Demo's, so assume similar might be happening here.

Yes, that is the case here, although there was some confusion about it.

http://n4g.com/news/1449320/titanfall-xbox-one-alpha-vs-pc-screenshot-comparison-high-resolution-vs-low-resolution-textures

The textures of the Xbox One alpha testing of Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall caused a big hubbub within the community, as their resolution was really low. Respawn entertainment immediately clarified that the textures included in the alpha had been sized down in order to reduce the download size, which is actually a quite common practice in the industry for pre-release testing.

The case exploded when popular insider codenamed Crazy Buttocks on a Train (shortened CBOAT) mentioned on NeoGAF that the textures in the alpha were final for the Xbox One version, prompting Respawn to respond reiterating their previous position and stating that they have nothing to gain by lying on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

Did anyone get emailed a Titanfall beta code ?

podgemk wrote: »
    Did anyone get emailed a Titanfall beta code ?

Mine just came through for the pc

Mine just came through for the pc

Just now ? I applied for a xb1 code .. Hopefully I get one soon . Vince Zampella said there was a mixup with PC people getting xb1 codes and vice versa but they're sending them out again now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Really hope I get one. There was a thing on twitter yesterday that the 1st 25 responses to the xbox tweet got a code. I was 8th on the list and still haven't got it >:(

I reckon a lot of people are claiming to have them just for follows and RTs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

I just got my code from gamestop cause i upgraded to the level 3 card happy out now cause i got none from siging up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement