Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

COYVB wrote: »
    They showed a lot more than that

+1
    Sony showed far more than MS did. All I saw this evening was some American TV sports and game movie renders and some Call of Duty gameplay footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

EnterNow wrote: »
    The approach to used games is the big one.
    Not liking mandatory Kinect, I just want a console to play games. I've no real interest in all the additional Kinect stuff, I know you don't need to use it but I'm not after an all in one entertainment unit...I'm after a console.

The PS4, just seems more 'pure' given the info we have so far

I can appreciate people's concerns about the used games issue, even if I'm not really bothered by it. Loads of my favourite games needed an online pass or had one-use DLC so buying second hand seemed pointless.

Never bothered by the additional things. As you say, use it or don't. Superfluous or useful, depending on your preorgative.

Not overly bothered by original IP either, in the sense that most of Sony and MS's recent stuff hasn't really dragged me in like the 3rd party stuff.

I'm undecided, tbh, but will probably plump for an Xbox if both are as similar as I suspect, purely because that's what my mates will probably have and that's who I'll be playing online with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Of course, it's always going to be what the user uses it for that matters, but I'm talking purely from how the system is being positioned both internally and when it comes to marketing campaigns. Set top box is the priority, gaming is secondary

Sony know the PlayStation is a games console, they're not trying to make it anything else. The focus will always be primarily gaming and gaming related features. Microsoft's focus is streaming content, web browsing, Kinect and "lifestyle" stuff primarily. For Sony, PS4 is a games console that can stream media and do other things, for Microsoft the Next Xbox is a set top box that can play games
    From speaking to people in Sony, I assure you that is not the case. They want to distance themselves wholly from Microsoft's impending shift in direction
    It's an entertainment unit firstly, a games console secondarily
    PS4 all the way for me anyway. MS is taking a very dangerous route right now shifting its focus away from games

Just to gloat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does the 500GB hard drive not sound a little scabby if the games are now coming on blu-ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1
    Sony showed far more than MS did. All I saw this evening was some American TV sports and game movie renders and some Call of Duty gameplay footage.

As much as I was critical of PlayStation conference, Xbox conference was a pure shiete compared to it. If what so got a lot more of my respect.

Gamer focused
    Indy friendly
    Developer friendly
    More traditional console
    No fecking halo TV series

• Advertisement

Just to gloat

Dead right and that's the way I could see them going for the last two E3s but I was hoping they would turn back to the hardcore games to shift their new console on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

They showed a lot more than that

I watched the entire thing....sorry but I didnt think I needed to elaborate that they showed an old mans face, some bland fps ****e and a few guys talking about how wonderful it is.

Both conferences were terrible. Sony showed **** all at the end of the day. Bland FPS ****e and most of the stuff pre rendered garbage.

E3 will be interesting.

For me, the interface is more gamer geared on the PS4. The xbox is all about social, movies, TV, sports, music.

Again, just use the pins section like I do now. Pin everything you like to that and ignore everything else. Not a huge concern.

I don't want any of that or to see any of that all over the place. I don't want to talk to my console or wave my arms around to get it work.

You won't "have to" as far as I can see. You can surely just use the controller?

I just want a games console and now Sony have most if not all indie developers on board which MS didn't even acknowledge. Sony know their market now while MS want an all in one sitting room device that happens to be a console.

It'll still play all your games. Use it how YOU want.

I was an Xbox fan but started to turn away after E3 last years and value I'm getting from PSN. Sony more or less have me now once I get the grips with this new dual shock pad, hope its more comfortable than the small dualshock we have now.

I am interested to see what they do with their online interfaces. MS can't compete at the moment with the value Sony offer with PS plus. That's the biggest game-changer I've seen in the last 5 years on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Just to gloat
    So? None of this stuff is a shock to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,D like more info ,on the cpu, graphics card , memory.
    IS it 8gig ddr3
    I,VE no interest in kinect ,
    its a waste of power,and it,ll use cpu ,memory bandwidth.
    Would be nice if it could use sata drives ,like the ps3.
    Theres a live video here,
    http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb
    re xbox 1 ,discussion, reaction.
    it has hdmi in,
    maybe to connect to cable tv box.

• Advertisement

And Id like to point out anyone who is stating "oh well thats me decided" on which console they are getting at this stage, are clearly fanboys.

We dont know enough on either at the minute. Xbox need to drop the kinect all round entertainment ****e they are trying to peddle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do we know is this the end of the 2nd hand gaming market for xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Just to gloat

You also called it everything but the Xbox One.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

+1

Well you weren't paying too much attention in that case then in fairness.

Sony have yet to show us an actual console. At least MS managed to show us the actual unit.

All the hardware specs were confirmed. Pretty big deal.

They also showed Forza 5, promised 15 exclusive games in year one, 8 of which are new IP - that's a pretty bold claim - one I hope they deliver on. E3 will go into more detail.

Pretty much did as much as they could with E3 around the corner. It was a console reveal - not a games reveal. Sony's wasn't even that much.

Headshot wrote: »
    Do we know is this the end of the 2nd hand gaming market for xbox?

Its not so much the second hand market, but the actual swapping/lending of games to friends that I will miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

joe123 wrote: »
    And Id like to point out anyone who is stating "oh well thats me decided" on which console they are getting at this stage, are clearly fanboys.

We dont know enough on either at the minute. Xbox need to drop the kinect all round entertainment ****e they are trying to peddle though.

Didn't show enough IMO, not sold on this at all, I was primarily an Xbox gamer the last 8 years or so (I have had all the Playstations also)

I'm really disappointed in this new console so far, seems so half hearted and lacklustre at the moment, Sony got it right with the PS4 reveal...

I won't pass proper judgement until E3 and see solid games....

I disagree with this point. Many people who have said this are active on this forum and use the Xbox 360 as their primary games machine.

That being said, I'm still surprised at how against the entertainment end of things everyone is. Just don't use it, like. It'll still play your games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

At least Gamestop's pockets will be hit with the cutting out of second hand games.

Yeah, I'm such a fanboy that I'm jumping ship for my primary gaming console, I was going to get both but not now and I have every major console since the NES. It's very easy to see how this is going even at this stage. I'm one of the people that can pick a decent game from a turd from reading a preview, playing the demo or watching actual gameplay footage and I'm right 95% of the time, have been for years.

And MS will not be dropping Kinect, they have being pushing it for years now and now its a requirement to have it infront of you at all times. It's their signature device that will set them apart in their market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That being said, I'm still surprised at how against the entertainment end of things everyone is. Just don't use it, like. It'll still play your games.

Actually how relevant will all Entertainment side of it actually be over this side of the water? Given we get none of the tv services mentioned here, & given historically your access to stuff like the Indy marketplace is locked down to your profiles region...will it seem half empty or will there be streaming live tv for us here via XBL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Blatter wrote: »
    At least Gamestop's pockets will be hit with the cutting out of second hand games.

And ultimately yours when the pre owned market is not subsidising new games prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sure if they stick Saorview in it we will all get one... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'll tell you how many I'll be buying......Xbox NONE!

(am I the first to make that joke?)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Actually how relevant will all Entertainment side of it actually be over this side of the water? Given we get none of the tv services mentioned here, & given historically your access to stuff like the Indy marketplace is locked down to your profiles region...will it seem half empty or will there be streaming live tv for us here via XBL?

Full ESPN will almost certainly become a thing here, or at least in the UK. That being said, we won't have half of that content as we currently have **** all compared to the US. Even our Netflix is ****e - unless you know what you're doing ;) - compared to the US version. As I said earlier, this was a very US-centric reveal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Too many people seem to want to hate this too much.

Lots of complaints about lack of games this, shift of focus away from games that and yet nobody had mentioned what I mentioned above - 15 exclusives, 8 of which are new IPs in year one.

In the last few weeks many on here were giving out about sequelitis and lack of new IP/exclusives. They hit us with those figures above and talk about persistent worlds, real-time aging of those worlds and their contents and a massive investment in servers to support the gaming.

I for one will await further info before kneejerking and rushing to write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

GO HOME, Xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think ruling out buying this from today's reveal is a bit hasty. I'll wait closer to the date of release, wait to see some actual gameplay footage, wait to see what the 15 exclusive games will be, before I make a decision.

Until then I will save a few euro here and there, and if either console doesn't take my fancy I will be building a gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'll tell you how many I'll be buying......Xbox NONE!

(am I the first to make that joke?)

Nice avatar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think they said its,silent or very quiet,when playing games
    the ps4 conference was better ,
    They showed alot of games ,
    you can see the graphics ,special effects eg in killzone demo.
    Very little info, re streaming ,uploading video.
    I doubt any of the tv services,etc will be avaidable,here ,
    apart from youtube ,netflix apps.
    IT, ll be nice to see 10 minute clips of games,
    to compare with ps4 videos.
    IT looks like the os is just based on windows 8.
    I,M GLAD they did not put a touch pad in the controller.
    They are probably waiting for e3 to show off game demos, or videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    You also called it everything but the Xbox One.

I never claimed to have inside track on the name though, just joined in with the speculation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement