Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Blatter wrote: »
    At least Gamestop's pockets will be hit with the cutting out of second hand games.

I wonder how they could possibly recoup lost profits.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Arawn wrote: »

They wont recoup them, they're cooked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT looks as if it,ll be less powerful than the ps4,
    and it,ll have the kinect on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

riclad wrote: »
    IT looks as if it,ll be less powerful than the ps4,
    and it,ll have the kinect on all the time.

How do you come to that conclusion ? The being less powerful .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

well im buying it
    unless sony can pull something off

i like the idea of gaming and entertainment on the one thing without having to constantly switch over, i dont have sky in my room so it saves me from going downstairs to watch it :D

would have liked to see some gameplay but ah well im sure it will be up to ps4 standards or very close to it

only thing im not liking is the kinect, never bought it for the 360 as it looked aload of ****e now im being made forced to use and have it :/

the design seems very bland as well haha its like the designer team said " ok make it like the 1st xbox but bigger "

its like when your chatting up a nice beautiful girl, and your mate is with you, and she wants to set your mate up with her mate, and you ask what she looks like, and the girl goes shes gawjuzzzzz but really shes just a fat mess....
    xbox one is like that haha

but i am looking forward to it :D not a big fan of sony but if they can pull something outta their ass come e3 id happily reconsider :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Meesared wrote: »
    So? None of this stuff is a shock to anyone

Really? A lot of people were arguing about the entertainment stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Hmm noticed the hdmi-in port on the console....id imagine that's pulling the tv etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

COYVB wrote: »
    Really? A lot of people were arguing about the entertainment stuff...

They shouldn't have been since you pretty much described the current xbox.

The current box has streaming local media, netflix, sky, skype, facebook, twitter, web browsing, movies, music.

Predicting the next Xbox would be about entertainment is like predicting it'll rain sometime this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Arawn wrote: »

They aren't going to cut Gamestop out of the deal. They will have some stupid code system where if you buy a game in-store 2nd hand you'll get 50% off the activation fee. That way GameStop can continue to trade and Microsoft get a % of the 2nd hand market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

I don't understand this at all.

PC have been doing all of these features for years. And to those people crapping themselves that they'll now have a "whole-in-one", have you ever heard of a PC? Check out Valve's Big Picture or XBMC. There are literally countless platforms that when you start your PC, it brings you straight to a screen like the Xbox or PS3/4. You can even use a console controller to flip between Skype, live TV (for free), YouTube, Live radio....

I seen nothing today that has innovated or raised the bar at all. Technology is well and truly ahead of this Xbox One and PS4. In two years, they'll be ancient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Won,t be in a hurry to buy a console, that blocks secondhand games.
    Theres a,lot of people that use usb dongles , mobile phones for net acess
    ie they never use consoles on the internet.
    eg they just play single player games,
    in Some rural areas ,acess to broadband is limited

IT seems designed for the usa, usa tv apps etc
    The ui ,os, can be changed, as they did before ,by connecting to web,
    and new apps added,
    ITS NOT like the xbox ,original, which never changed.
    IT looks like a dvr,or hi fi unit.

Better than the original 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yousef wrote: »
    . Technology is well and truly ahead of this Xbox One and PS4. In two years, they'll be ancient.

What were the 360 and PS3 in 2005/6 with 512Mb of RAM and they lasted another 8/7 years just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

That was completely underwhelming. Very disappointed.

just play single player games,
    in Some rural areas ,acess to broadband is limited.

So, you can still play games offline they just have to be new and not second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

i made a YT video discussing my thoughts on this should be up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

just play single player games,
    in Some rural areas ,acess to broadband is limited.

As bad as it sounds, they're not the kind of people that make MS money. They're not buying the live subs and making the micro-transactions on DLC and avatar items and all manner of other crap.

That being said, the way they'll do the second-hand games thing hasn't been revealed yet, as far as I can see. The DL for license will probably be tiny. 30mb or the like. Most people's internet can handle that.

What were the 360 and PS3 in 2005/6 with 512Mb of RAM and they lasted another 8/7 years just fine.

Elitist PC Gamer in rant shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

There is a serious lack of detail on the hardware side.

8 core cpu - is jaguar or piledriver based?
    GPU - will it be integrated SOC?
    8GB ram - by omission I'm just going to assume it's not GDDR5

We had far more specifics from the PS4 launch.

They can't seem to get their heads around that can't compare PC and consoles. Yes they both play games but that's it.

It's like comparing the space shuttle and a 737, they both fly but are very different.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sink wrote: »

didn't they say at the ps4 launch that final specs hadn't been locked down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

They can't seem to get their heads around that can't compare PC and consoles. Yes they both play games but that's it.

It's like comparing the space shuttle and a 737, they both fly but are very different.

yes but the 737 doesnt try and be a space shuttle ;)

Rafloution wrote: »
    Hmm noticed the hdmi-in port on the console....id imagine that's pulling the tv etc.

Yeah, seemingly you hook your Sky/UPC/whatever box into the xbox, so you still need that on, as well as the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

mcgovern wrote: »
    Yeah, seemingly you hook your Sky/UPC/whatever box into the xbox, so you still need that on, as well as the xbox.

so basicaly the new xbox is a really fat lidl all in one remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

didn't they say at the ps4 launch that final specs hadn't been locked down?

I think they were more talking about the physical design i.e. the shape of the box. The micro architecture has been locked down for months. I.E jaguar APU with 1.84 gflops processing power and 8GB GDDR5 unified memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Too many people seem to want to hate this too much.

Lots of complaints about lack of games this, shift of focus away from games that and yet nobody had mentioned what I mentioned above - 15 exclusives, 8 of which are new IPs in year one.

In the last few weeks many on here were giving out about sequelitis and lack of new IP/exclusives. They hit us with those figures above and talk about persistent worlds, real-time aging of those worlds and their contents and a massive investment in servers to support the gaming.

I for one will await further info before kneejerking and rushing to write it off.

Its easy to make a claim like that, and both MS and Sony have been known to make similar claims at other reveals and never delivered on them.
    Don't get your hopes up on that promise, if they do deliver exclusive games, I don't think many of them will be AAA titles.

Its easy to make a claim like that, and both MS and Sony have been known to make similar claims at other reveals and never delivered on them.
    Don't get your hopes up on that promise, if they do deliver exclusive games, I don't think many of them will be AAA titles.

Half of them will probably be Kinect related.
    cursai wrote: »
    so basicaly the new xbox is a really fat lidl all in one remote control.

That only works as such in 1 country.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

sink wrote: »

Jaguar based with integrated GPU.

Here's some more info:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hardware-and-specs/

Processor and graphics: as rumored, a heavily customized AMD chip that combines an eight-core CPU, a GPU tailored for DirectX 11.1 graphics and 32MB of high bandwidth embedded ESRAM memory. The 28nm chip will consume around 100 watts, which is slightly higher than current Xbox Slim and PS3, but Microsoft promises noise from the cooling fans will be "four times quieter."
    System memory: a Sony-rivaling 8GB of RAM, although it'll be DDR3 instead of the PlayStation 4's GDDR5.
    Audio and video: 1080p and 4K both supported; 7.1 surround sound.
    Kinect: This will be bundled with the console and contain 250,000-pixel infrared depth sensor as well as a regular 720p web cam.
    Storage and media: a 500GB hard drive of unknown speed plus a Blu-ray / DVD combo drive that will be used as little as possible. We're told disc-based games will be ripped to the HDD automatically.
    Connectivity: HDMI 1.4 output and passthrough; a "few" USB 3.0 ports; gigabit Ethernet; plus, three separate 802.11n radios to allow the console to communicate with its controller (over a form of WiFi Direct) as well as other devices (such as perhaps other Windows-based phones and tablets) without losing its connection to the internet. At other times, two radios could be used to maintain a stronger WiFi signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Too many people seem to want to hate this too much. [/quote[
    A lot of people are quite unsatisfied with the whole affair and are look to vocalise their anger.

[quote[
    Lots of complaints about lack of games this, shift of focus away from games that and yet nobody had mentioned what I mentioned above - 15 exclusives, 8 of which are new IPs in year one.

If you wouldn't mind, could you point to this source of IP, EVERYTHING I saw, except that Quantum shift... Break... thingy... was a rehash of washed up IP.
    In the last few weeks many on here were giving out about sequelitis and lack of new IP/exclusives. They hit us with those figures above and talk about persistent worlds, real-time aging of those worlds and their contents and a massive investment in servers to support the gaming.
    Claiming to invest in servers is one thing, the lifespan of those servers is another thing entirely. Take EA for example. EA have provided dedicated servers for their games in the past, and when the game passed maturity, those servers were turned off. LOTR BFME II and LOTR Conquest, NFSMW all spring to mind as examples of this. There is a very real danger this will occur with this server deal, as the majority of what I've read here and seen from the presentation has shown that the company is less about providing a "gaming" experience and more about ****ing you for EVERY dollar they can. For a company that has always claimed to be about innovation, I have seen very little of it today asides from hardware development and aesthetic development. Essentially style over substance.
    I for one will await further info before kneejerking and rushing to write it off.

Wait away. I too will also wait for E3 to cast a final judgement. However, today has taught me to have no expectations whatsoever, and to expect the worst; that way I won't be bitterly disappointed as I was today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Elitist PC Gamer in rant shock.

I'm not an elitist PC gamer at all.

It seems that if you have reasonable concerns these days regarding a product then you get attacked by every fanboy on the internet. Some people need to grow up. What I said was I didn't see anything innovative. My point stands.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it'll be DDR3 for Xbox One? Probably means the Xbox will be cheaper IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement