Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT may as well be always online,drm, as you,ll have to be on xbox live
    to install a game ,as far as i can see.
    I can see a lot of cod players switching over to the ps4,
    instead of buying an xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Name them then, because it's quite easy to pull numbers from thin air. I saw 3 exclusives, one new IP and they weren't very interesting.
    It was said at the reveal. I linked Joystiq either earlier in this thread or in the Gaming section, I'll post a Gamespot one to mix it up.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-to-get-15-exclusive-titles-in-its-first-year-6408657

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Nice vid ath, though microsoft are back tracking on the fee thing on twitter atm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Name them then, because it's quite easy to pull numbers from thin air. I saw 3 exclusives, one new IP and they weren't very interesting.

With no gameplay shown at the revealing of it's console it's looking like the launch, under 7 months from now, will have feck all games.

You'll be waiting quite awhile for your 15 exclusives.

How can I name them? If you think they are telling bare-faced lies than so be it. Jesus - I'm only commenting on what was said at the reveal.

All the coverage describe them saying there will be 15 exclusives. Some sites are even reporting that they will be launch titles.

Wired.co.uk:
    At launch, 15 titles will be exclusive to the Xbox, of which eight are brand new franchises, rather than sequels.

Engadget:
    A number of launch titles have been mentioned at the Xbox One reveal event, but Microsoft Studios announced that it has more titles in development now than ever before. In fact, 15 exclusive Xbox One titles will launch in its first year and eight of those are brand-new franchises.Of course, we're still not exactly sure when that countdown will be begin, but perhaps we'll catch a glimpse of the software goods in a few days at E3.

If you're going to presume they are telling bare-faced lies then there's nothing a lowly internet poster like me can do to change your mind. For all we know they're lying about everything else too.

Honestly I don't know why people are are so quick with the militant cynicism on the back of a one-hour hardware reveal.

How can I name them? If you think they are telling bare-faced lies than so be it. Jesus - I'm only commenting on what was said at the reveal.

All the coverage describe them saying there will be 15 exclusives. Some sites are even reporting that they will be launch titles.

Wired.co.uk:

Engadget:

If you're going to presume they are telling bare-faced lies then there's nothing a lowly internet poster like me can do to change your mind. For all we know they're lying about everything else too.

Honestly I don't know why people are are so quick with the militant cynicism on the back of a one-hour hardware reveal.

to be fair they said repeatidly that they were showing gameplay and they ****ing didnt!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Achilles wrote: »
    Having to pay a license to play a second hand game is a huge deal breaker for me. Won't be buying it.

Alot of developers have already being doing this, most notably EA.
    miralize wrote: »
    Is it that big of a deal? Do you honestly think they'd charge more than a tenner??

I have a feeling it would be more than a tenner, and closer to the full price of the game.

The game plays without the disk after you install it on the HDD so most people would just get a copy of the game off a friend, install it, and then pay the tenner.

My guess is it will be a marginally discounted price bought direct through xbox live with MS points and the marginal discount will be a result of excluding retailers like gamestop out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Arawn wrote: »
    to be fair they said repeatidly that they were showing gameplay and they ****ing didnt!!!

They said gameplay was for e3?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Was the Forza 5 demo not in-game - the race of the two Maclarens? Maybe not.

Like I've said repeatedly though - hardware reveal. Not software. We know tons about the hardware now. So really it was job done by MS.

E3 will hopefully quench people's thirsts for the games. We already know of plenty - studios have been announcing next-gen titles for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

When you consider that Apple will charge close on €700 yoyos for their smartphone which people seem happy to pay for then I think around the €500 mark for a device that wont be out of fashion in 3 months is reasonable.

Looking forward to E3 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

COYVB wrote: »
    If only some current technology existed that allowed us to flick between inputs on our televisual display systems eh
    Yeah it's possible already, but it's not a smooth integrated experience. Having to turn on the Xbox and wait for it to boot up while jumping through menus on your TV (or cycling through inputs) can be a bit of a pain. Especially if you just want to spend 10 or 15 minutes in a game.

Most of my "TV" time currently is spent using a HTPC. I'm used to watcing a TV show or movie, and instantly flicking over to a browser window or other application, and having multiple things side by side. Perhaps most importantly it's all controlled by one device (wireless mouse). It's all instant, (relatively) seamless and impulsively driven.

If I want to play the Xbox (or PS3), I have to get the controller, turn the console on, find the TV remote and switch inputs, find the amp remote and switch audio inputs, wait for the xbox to boot up, then load my game and play it. Then when I'm done, I have to decide if I want to shut off the Xbox and put the controller and other remotes away, or do I leave it on in case I want to use it again in a few minutes.

If my games, TV and other apps were all centralised on one device that would make everything a lot smoother.
    It's a Windows 8 style OS with the associated apps that will be applicable to the Xbox. Could be very versatile.

That's certainly what I'm hoping, but it looks like we'll have to wait for Build in June to have it confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

they'd want to - it would be the worst thing to ever happen casual gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2 il_cattivo

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
    But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.
    "Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

Hopefully its not as loud as the 360. The slim can be a bit noisy... SSD version perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The console has just written its own death wish. Another dreamcast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Alot of developers have already being doing this, most notably

Not for the entire game they're not. Online passes yes bit not entire licenses to play a second hand game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Zavvi seem to have taken a punt on the pricing and put the console up for pre-order for £399.99/€499.99, and games for £49.99/€62.49 each.

62 quid for a game. No thanks lad. Never pirated a game before in my life but if thats the way pricing is going then I will be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

With no gameplay shown at the revealing of it's console it's looking like the launch, under 7 months from now, will have feck all games.

You'll be waiting quite awhile for your 15 exclusives.

He can't name them because he's going off the reveal which said 15 exclusives in the first year, half of which would be new IPs.

MS had already stated that this launch would mostly focus on hardware/infrastructure because E3 is in like 2 weeks and they'll show games then.

I was impressed with what they showed. The snapin feature is especially cool and I think what they showed will help keep Xbox ahead in the parties/multi-tasking area.

I'm not a fan of the integrated Kinect. My main concern is wondering what if the Kinect can't be set up correctly. Will you just be stuck in a Kinect set up loop?

However my major issues and reasons that I won't be buying a new Xbox, as it stands.

1) This crazy disc policy. I'm probably the ideal candidate for this. I generally buy only new games and I generally install all my games. However I don't want to be restricted to this, I want it to be my choice. In essence I want to be respected, not punished.

2) XBLA are also not backwards compatible. I'm dissappointed that 360 games are not BC but I'll be fúcking sick if arcade games aren't.

3) Encouraging always on. This annoys me in more than one way. First, it's sneaky. Oh no, the console isn't always on but developers can make their games always on. We hope they do. Either do it or don't. And don't give me anything about game functions on the cloud, the sim city debacle has proven that's BS. Secondly it's just a pain in the arse. Oh look can't connect to XBL (like Xmas just gone) well then you mustn't want to play any games. It's an an XBox issue? Don't care. It's an ISP issue? Don't care. A hurricane has destroyed your house, and the only form of entertainment in the shelter is an Xbox? Don't care.

These steps are a massive kick in the face to consumers but they could explain why XBox is able to provide so many exclusives as I imagine the publishers are well behind them. Although it remains to be seen if the exclusives are worth a damn or just more of the same shít we saw from the 360.

62 quid for a game. No thanks lad. Never pirated a game before in my life but if thats the way pricing is going then I will be

Have you ever bought a game in your life? Thats a pretty standard price for a new game..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

When you consider that Apple will charge close on €700 yoyos for their smartphone which people seem happy to pay for then I think around the €500 mark for a device that wont be out of fashion in 3 months is reasonable.

Only because Apple is so good at marketing. Microsoft is just good with monopolies... Most people also pay for their iPhone on a long term contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

thats like €15 cheaper than last gen launch prices tbh

Have you ever bought a game in your life? Thats a pretty standard price for a new game..

177 games on my gamertag so yes. Maybe in gamestop it is. Probably why I wont buy new games there in almost a year now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that's online price though, you can be sure that the instore price will be €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

62 euro is too much for a new game.

So, what's the answer? Switch to PC gaming? Because PS4 and One are going to have parity of pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm fairly certain that the RRP for nearly every game released at the moment is between 60 and 70 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Haven't paid over €50 for a new game this generation except for some limited editions. I just wait a week or two and buy from Amazon, the price usually drops a tenner by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Orim wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that the RRP for nearly every game released at the moment is between 60 and 70 euro.

Games have generally always been around the 50 mark for years (bare the usual extra cost when a console is new) But 50 euro is good enough.
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    So, what's the answer? Switch to PC gaming? Because PS4 and One are going to have parity of pricing.

so you dont class 60+ euro as alot of money? ... well why dont you pay 70? in fact, why not pay 90? I mean if everyone was 'willing' to pay mental prices like you are, games would be 100 euro by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Dodo Bird

I was wondering since looking at the video and images of the upcoming xbox one it looks pretty cool !!
    But the name is pretty stupid, in my opinion xbox 720 would have sounded better
    So, I was thinking when do you think it would be released as I plan to sell my xbox 360 elite right now and get as much as money as possible then when the xbox one comes out where I will be lucky to get 50E :P
    Do you think it will come out this year or next year, shall I sell it now or wait??
    I heard that xbox won't allow used games, what is this all about, so I will have to buy 50E worth of games, I hope this is not true or I will be moving to PS4 :(

• Advertisement

so you dont class 60+ euro as alot of money? ... well why dont you pay 70? in fact, why not pay 90? I mean if everyone was 'willing' to pay mental prices like you are, games would be 100 euro by now.
    Obviously when buying a game I'm selective about price. Its far from being a situation that money is no object to me. The prices have been pretty stable for a long, long time. They are not going to accelerate even remotely like what your scare tactics are trying to suggest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement