Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Just my own two cents worth...

Didn't think much of the presentation to be honest, glad to see what the Xbox One looks like, but I was expecting something more.

I suppose with e3 just around we will have to wait and see what games we are actually going to be playing on our new PS4's or Xbox One's.

At this point though I have yet to see something from either Sony or Microsoft that would convince me to buy either console

I will say this though the next few months are going to be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

major nelson doesnt clarify that my mate can play the game with me, just that I can, retarded they are actually handling the pr from today terribly.

Also retrogamer wont be able to do any retro on this in the distant future!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Going on Larry Hyrb's post, I suspect that they'll pull back from the used game thing for the release anyway. It's always something that they can introduce afterwards but I'd say they're worried about the fallout at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What's left in Ireland? Smyths and Argos? Buying online will be the way forward.

That's the big deal next gen. Will we see the adoption of gamers migrating towards digital media? Unlike music which is generally cheap and widely pirated I don't think games will suffer the same fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Honestly i can't see myself getting an xbox one.
    Microsoft touted how you'll be able to use gestures and voice control to interact with the new system. "Xbox, on" starts up the machine. "Xbox, watch TV" will open up your television. This is all possible thanks to Kinect 2.0, which ships with Xbox One.
    I don't care about kinect what so ever.
    Microsoft also introduced a feature called Snap Mode, for multitasking while watching television. You can use Skype, for example, to chat with friends while viewing something, or you can say "Xbox, show fantasy" to see your fantasy basketball stats while watching LeBron James score.
    I'm fairly certain, computers/pc's can do this.
    There's a feature called "Xbox Trending" that shows what television is currently popular on Xbox Live.
    I want a gaming console not entertainment/media center.
    You'll have to install games before you play them. When you install a game, it connects to your Xbox Live account. You can connect it to a second account, but you'll have to pay a fee.
    However, Microsoft executive Phil Harrison, in an interview with Kotaku, has some potentially bad news. The aforementioned 'fee' to play games on a second account? Full MSRP. So unless you want to use your account for your entire family, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 for siblings or friends to try out new games.
    So families that share consoles and want their own accounts have to pay a fee on every game they buy on every extra account apart from the first one.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
    Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?
    Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.
    Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.
    Harrison: Correct.
    From above, i can't bring my console to my dad's or my nanny's for a weekend even if it's just to play some single player cause after 24hrs nope no more playing.

Seriously i'm considering just getting a gaming comp considering it'll do pretty much everything the xbox does except better plus i'll be able to get user created content -mods and what not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm, so much for those without broadband access...
    Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

So far I see no reason to buy this console over the PS4, unless I get really really REALLY interested in Fifa over the next 6 months. (Like enough to crave that exclusive DLC)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Going on Larry Hyrb's post, I suspect that they'll pull back from the used game thing for the release anyway. It's always something that they can introduce afterwards but I'd say they're worried about the fallout at the start.

I don't see anything in his post that scales back from Harrison has been saying.

You trade and resell but buying a secondhand game is going to require an activation key which will most likely be the cost of a new game.

You can play at your friends house with your profile signed in. So this means that the disc games will have the same DRM as current downloadable content. So what if I have 3 xboxs? I have to buy at least two copies of the game so people in my household can play the game.

About the only positive out of this is that they won't have any more disc scratch problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-available-in-us-only-at-launch-requires-separate-device/

Confirmed that the TV functions will only be available in US at launch.
    But heres the real stinger... you have to buy a separate receiver device to use these features..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Orim wrote: »
    I don't see anything in his post that scales back from Harrison has been saying.

You trade and resell but buying a secondhand game is going to require an activation key which will most likely be the cost of a new game.

You can play at your friends house with your profile signed in. So this means that the disc games will have the same DRM as current downloadable content. So what if I have 3 xboxs? I have to buy at least two copies of the game so people in my household can play the game.

About the only positive out of this is that they won't have any more disc scratch problems.

It's the fact that neither he nor twitter support will confirm anything at the moment. The Kotaku quotes come from Harrison at the event itself. Hyrb posted a few hours after the event and Twitter support are refusing to confirm or deny anything at the moment. I suspect that the reaction is worrying them and they may scale this back. We'll see, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-available-in-us-only-at-launch-requires-separate-device/

Confirmed that the TV functions will only be available in US at launch.
    But heres the real stinger... you have to buy a separate receiver device to use these features..

Not a stinger at all cos it's a useless feature. I just wanna party up with a few mates and have a laugh playing games that look like next generation games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's pretty funny reading through the first couple of pages of this thread with people saying months ago that there is no way that Microsoft will be requiring internet connectivity to run the console or play your games. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Well it looks like ill be going Wii U (possibly PS4 eventually) as an adition to PC as MS seem to have shot themselves in the foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not true. You use your own receiver (if compatible). The Xbox One is not a cable decoder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

COYVB wrote: »
    Not true. You use your own receiver (if compatible). The Xbox One is not a cable decoder

Wouldnt it have to be, in order to be able to change channels without the cable box UI behind it?

miralize wrote: »
    Wouldnt it have to be, in order to be able to change channels without the cable box UI behind it?

The cable box connects to the Xbox One via the One's HDMI input. There'll likely be various presets based on compatible boxes, where your voice input is converted to either IR or some form of HDCP thingamijig which then changes the channel. It's WiiTV, for Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's pretty funny reading through the first couple of pages of this thread with people saying months ago that there is no way that Microsoft will be requiring internet connectivity to run the console or play your games. :pac:
    And I've been more rabid in that position than most. Arguing from that position here, on facebook, on eurogamer, on Raptr. If I had a dog or cat, they'd probably have gotten an earful too. The preowned games wouldn't have been a deal breaker to me, as I buy new, so, yeah... The always online though. No. I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's the fact that neither he nor twitter support will confirm anything at the moment. The Kotaku quotes come from Harrison at the event itself. Hyrb posted a few hours after the event and Twitter support are refusing to confirm or deny anything at the moment. I suspect that the reaction is worrying them and they may scale this back. We'll see, I suppose.

It seems that we're at the stage where all this kind of stuff is likely locked in to some degree though. Games are being designed for the system and the system seems to be working fairly solid. I would imagine that any changes to these systems would put a bad dent into whatever timetables they have at the moment.

At best I can see it being scaled back for launch but then we hit a point down the road when they say "Hey remember all that stuff you hated, well you're invested now so suck it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

In fairness did anyone honestly think MS would be this stupid

COYVB wrote: »

My mistake then, mis-read the article.
    Wonder how long it will take them to support Sky/UPC boxes over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think the PC Building and Upgrading Forum is going to have a massive spike in new build threads starting later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

My first console was the NES. I loved Nintendo and then got into Sega. I switched back to Nintendo for the 64 until Sony blew me away.
    I was all about Playstation until Microsoft won me over in 2003. I never bought a PS3. But I think, just like I moved on with other companies and products, that this is the end of the line for me and Microsoft regarding their console products.

What I was hoping for was some kind of fleshed out and innovative Steam application interface (obviously Microsofts own interpretation) that would lower game prices (no packaging/physical shipping) by going digital. Something that could really rival Steam and Origin. Obviously physical games would remain and I have no problem whatsoever with second hand industries but it seems now that this will be a thing of the past. No backwards compatibility is also a kick in the teeth to be sure. And this whole farce of having to pay a lisence fee to bring a game to a mates house for the evening is beyond ridiculous. In time, the consumers will untimately decide but I definitely think this was a wasted opportunity on Microsofts part. They had a significant chance to really end Sony once and for all and they blew it.

I really expected a system that was gamer-centric. A system designed by gamers, for gamers. Now don't get me wrong, I love the concept of watching TV and having an "all-in-one" living room system but that is not what is being sold here. For starters, most of the features we seen today are not even applicable to those living outside the United States. What's more, it's not very Indy friendly. I was hoping for something along the lines of what the OUYA are doing. While I don't believe the OUYA is the be all and end all, I do like their selling point. And that is, that if developers choose to showcase their game; you can play it for free (a demo as such). You like it? You buy it. It also knocks down the wall and barriers to entry for these less known indy companies. An "indy workshop" if you will that is sold in the XB store. I think it would breed a huge and thriving community. But of course, Microsoft have to protect the big players and keep a foot on the little mans neck.

And what about virtual reality? What about the in-roads the guys over at Oculus Rift are making? These are the innovations we want to see in 2013 and beyond. This is the future. Glasses that put YOU in the drivers seat. That put's you IN the game. Think of the possibilities....to stroll down the streets of Paris in 1750, or being on board a spaceship or something. It's really engaging stuff. Instead, what we got today was simply underwhelming. The technology is available today. Of that, there is no doubt. But it seems Microsoft don't want to be the one's to bring us that far. Far easier to cash in on yesterdays tech than to lead tomorrows. This is not anything new. It's Xbox 360.5

And that is extremely disappointing.

Oculus-Rift.jpg

Yousef wrote: »
    And what about virtual reality? What about the in-roads the guys over at Oculus Rift are making? These are the innovations we want to see in 2013 and beyond. This is the future. Glasses that put YOU in the drivers seat. That put's you IN the game. Think of the possibilities....to stroll down the streets of Paris in 1750, or being on board a spaceship or something. It's really engaging stuff. Instead, what we got today was simply underwhelming. The technology is available today. Of that, there is no doubt. But it seems Microsoft don't want to be the one's to bring us that far. Far easier to cash in on yesterdays tech than to lead tomorrows. This is not anything new. It's Xbox 360.5

And that is extremely disappointing.

Oculus-Rift.jpg

Surprisingly enough BF4 was announced for the PS4 today with Oculus Rift support, and Oculus Rift will be supported by the PS4 but developers will have to implement it.

Aaand: http://uk.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Missed the reveal, anyone wanna list the main talking points?

iMuse wrote: »

45 minutes of talking about how it's an entertainment/streaming box
    10 minutes of kinect
    5 minutes of non-real-time game clips

Give or take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Nerd Rage is hilarious but dammit he makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Gamespot twitter battle ps4 88% xbox12% lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Large focus on Entertainment.
    Sleek OS, can switch between a game and tv or an app quickly. Will it work good in reality?
    Uses Kinect 2.0, comes with every console

Refined Controller
    Acts as a DVR, handy for game recording.
    500GB hard drive, 8gb DDR3 RAM, Blu-Ray Drive(unclear if it plays Blu Ray movies)

Very large focus on USA-centric features like Fantasy NFL Football, urgh.

No backwards-compatability at all.

Worrying lack of games, only EA Sports games, 1 new IP, Forza 5 and trailer for COD:Ghosts shown. No in-game footage shown at all.

Exclusive Halo TV Series. Stuff like COD dlc and some content from EA Sports will be Xbox exclusive.

Releasing globally this year. No prices.

I was luke-warm about it after the reveal but after hearing about the whole games locking to an account is crazy and now, much more leaning towards PS4. E3 could still swing it for either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I know it's only COD but the graphics I saw yesterday were incredibly unimpressive.

I know the ps4 gameplay we saw ran on a PC but I'm guessing it was representative of the final products.

Assuming Custom APU'tS are identical everything if read on the soc's says 8gb GDDR5 is faster than 8gb of DDR3 + 32mb of ESRAM.

So fundamentally the console isn't as powerful as the PS4 then add all the always on, kinect bull.. It seems that Microsoft have ignored all the warning signs and assume they won some sort of brand loyalty with the 360.

I also wanted them to give a good reason to keep forking out for xbox live considering Sony have sorted it PSN, I saw nothing?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Sony are sitting pretty right now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement