Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sums it up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Photoshop wrote: »

I've only ever seen the guy's pisstakes, but I have to say, he makes very valid points! Pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I turn on my xbox , to play games,
    all these tv apps are of no use to me,
    and they are probably designed to work with us channels ,anyway.
    Kinect is of no use to me.
    DDR3 memory is slower than ps4 ddr5 .
    The ps4 looks way better as a gaming console.
    NO one expected backward compatibilty in either console.
    Kinect is good for dancing,kids games .
    IT,ll take up ram, cpu bandwidth and waste power.
    Anyone with a laptop has acess to youtube, netflix etc
    This is mostly bad news for xbox fans ,
    especially re charging for preowned games.
    i have sky tv,
    I see no point in using a console to watch tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Well I for one think half of the posts here are completely crazy

Backwards compatibility - Why on earth would they make it backward compatible. If there is enough of a groundswell they can likely software emulate an environment to allow it but how on earth is it a dealbreaker? The console will be around for 8+ years and in 12 months time no one on earth will have any interest in playing 360 games, they will want new generation games. This is exactly the reason Playstation dropped backward compatability after 2 years, no one gave a crap about it. You want to play 360 games buy a 360 and stop whinging.

TV features - 76 million xboxes in the world, surveys show people now use Xbox more for tv/video etc than actual games. This is something thats happened only during the last 3 years and is exploding, why not be at the cutting edge of this new revolution? Also that NFL thing could be great, im sure something similiar will quickly be lauched for other major sports which alone could bring an entire new audience. For the record i own about 100 games and now use my xbox for sky/youtube/netflix far more than playing games.

Games - 15 games with 8 exclusives at launch! To the people whinging that there was no game footage, this was a hardware launch ffs. Why on earth would they show game footage, that would be idiotic. Second hand games would be a major problem for me as I normally buy my games second hand but im not going to jump the gun just yet as if the charge is 20 quid for a year old game then ill happily pay it.

Anyway im far from sold on paying 500 quid for a new console until i see the launch games and proper reviews but im certainly intrigued given what was shown yesterday. The next 6 months will sway me one way or the other but what on earth are people doing saying the PS4 is for them now after seeing yesterdays xbox reveal. Neither console has shown any proper gameplay footage and the specs of both are almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

The No backwards compatibility is the deal breaker for me.
    My young fella has a load of games he has collected over the years and having to run xbox 360 alongside xbox one......no thanks.
    I would have been one of the first down to Smyths to pre-order but think I'll be passing on this "one"

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

riclad wrote: »
    I turn on my xbox , to play games, - you can still do that.

all these tv apps are of no use to me, - don't use them then.

and they are probably designed to work with us channels ,anyway. - EU will surely follow.

Kinect is of no use to me. - don't use it then.

DDR3 memory is slower than ps4 ddr5 . - it's also much, much cheaper.

The ps4 looks way better as a gaming console. - have you seen the PS4 yet? Link?

NO one expected backward compatibilty in either console.
    Kinect is good for dancing,kids games . - has potential for much more. Up to the devs to explore the options it brings.

IT,ll take up ram, cpu bandwidth and waste power. - negligable on all counts, comparable to a USB laser mouse unless you're actively using the camera. Which you already said you won't be.

Anyone with a laptop has acess to youtube, netflix etc - Not everyone has a laptop, and laptops cost as much as an Xbox One.

This is mostly bad news for xbox fans - that's your opinion. I hold a different, less doom-mongering one.

especially re charging for preowned games. - If this turns out to be true then agreed in so far as sharing games with friends/family will be affected and that will bug me. I don't buy pre-owned due to the price gouging the likes of Gamestop and Xtra-vision employ(ed). Buy it back for 15, sell it for 45.

i have sky tv, - Now you'll be able to switch to it instantly by shouting "Xbox - SKY!" - Welcome to the Enterprise.

I see no point in using a console to watch tv. - Then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Honestly my two cents on this is that MS need to clear up this confusion on the whole used game + the game being tied to a single account.
    The sooner they do this the better as Sony seem to be pulling out a lead on MS already due to the disaster of a conference.
    As for the TV stuff, I was disappointed that it was extremely US centric, but they are an American country after all, it makes sense to tie up the home market first.
    And I would have loved to see more games, but I can understand waiting for E3. Still not gone on it yet if they clear up the confusion quickly it might swing it towards the Xbox only E3 will tell.

PS4 are pulling out a lead already? Can i ask what on earth this is based on?
    1) No clue what games will be on either console
    2) Neither are backward compatible
    3) Sony havent said if the console requires a connection
    4) No clarification on PS4 allowing second hand games to play for free. In fact both xbox and ps4 are said to charge to reactivate a second hand title according to gamespot
    5) Specs are close to identical
    6) Xbox one is rumored to cost $299 with a 2 year xbox live subscription which is hugely subsidized
    7) Hardware and limitations (second hand games, connection etc) look similiar so it will be down to games as it always has been and always should be.

People need to relax, what on earth were they expecting from yesterday for crying out loud. Its not going to be on sale for 6+ months, dozens of things will change by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well I for one think half of the posts here are completely crazy

Backwards compatibility - Why on earth would they make it backward compatible. If there is enough of a groundswell they can likely software emulate an environment to allow it but how on earth is it a dealbreaker? The console will be around for 8+ years and in 12 months time no one on earth will have any interest in playing 360 games, they will want new generation games. This is exactly the reason Playstation dropped backward compatability after 2 years, no one gave a crap about it. You want to play 360 games buy a 360 and stop whinging.

A lot of folks have a ton of XBLA stuff bought, no doubt now they'll need to buy it again if they want to use it on the One. BC isn't a deal breaker for me as I collect consoles, but I can see the arguments for having it, especially where digital content is concerned.
    TV features - 76 million xboxes in the world, surveys show people now use Xbox more for tv/video etc than actual games. This is something thats happened only during the last 3 years and is exploding, why not be at the cutting edge of this new revolution? Also that NFL thing could be great, im sure something similiar will quickly be lauched for other major sports which alone could bring an entire new audience. For the record i own about 100 games and now use my xbox for sky/youtube/netflix far more than playing games.

None of it will work over here for now, & if it becomes available, what can we hope for? RTE Player? Sky GO?
    Games - 15 games with 8 exclusives at launch!

Sounds great! But how many of those will be Kinect based tripe? Dance games, mini games, family games etc? I'll wait until I hear more before getting overly excited.
    To the people whinging that there was no game footage, this was a hardware launch ffs. Why on earth would they show game footage, that would be idiotic.

Would it? Why? Personally speaking I found the graphics shown extremely underwhelming...& they're not even in game graphics. Perhaps if I seen some in game stuff, I'd be a tad more excited?
    Second hand games would be a major problem for me as I normally buy my games second hand but im not going to jump the gun just yet as if the charge is 20 quid for a year old game then ill happily pay it.

On top of the cost of the used game itself don't forget.
    Anyway im far from sold on paying 500 quid for a new console until i see the launch games and proper reviews but im certainly intrigued given what was shown yesterday. The next 6 months will sway me one way or the other but what on earth are people doing saying the PS4 is for them now after seeing yesterdays xbox reveal. Neither console has shown any proper gameplay footage and the specs of both are almost identical.

No mention of a requirement to be online every 24 hours.
    No mention of a fee to play a used game.
    I'm leaning towards PS4 just from those two points alone, but we do need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I don't think they have anything to clear up regarding that. They have confirmed that each disk will be locked to the account it is first installed on and if the disk is given to someone else they will have to pay a fee after installing the game on their account.

The fee will also be closer to the cost of the original game and not just a tenner like the EA online passes.

The pre owned games market has had this coming and I am not one bit surprised. The sales games companies lose out on because of it are probably staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

markad1 wrote: »
    The No backwards compatibility is the deal breaker for me.
    My young fella has a load of games he has collected over the years and having to run xbox 360 alongside xbox one......no thanks.
    I would have been one of the first down to Smyths to pre-order but think I'll be passing on this "one"

Backwards compatibly would be quite difficult to implement because of the move to x86 archticture and raise costs,size and thermals of the console it makes a lot of sense to not bother.

Eventually they might bring out some sort of cloud service like the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't think they have anything to clear up regarding that. They have confirmed that each disk will be locked to the account it is first installed on and if the disk is given to someone else they will have to pay a fee after installing the game on their account.

The fee will also be closer to the cost of the original game and not just a tenner like the EA online passes.

The pre owned games market has had this coming and I am not one bit surprised. The sales games companies lose out on because of it are probably staggering.

All it will do is make people shift to a console where they can purchase used games.

Think of it this way... in 30 years when you want to play a bit of nostalgia and you wanna fire up that Xbox One game that you remember from years gone by WELL YOU ****ING CAN'T BECAUSE THE SERVERS ARE GONE.

Nice paperweight that you've got there.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one

Worth a read

On borrowing a friends game to play it, that works no problem
    "So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game," he began. "If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

"What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

Harrison then explained what happens when you want to take that game beyond the borders of your own home and into a friend's place.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.

"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

On second hand games, sounds to me that it will be an online marketplace where you can digitally trade your second hand games? Could be wrong but its pretty obvious that you can buy and sell second hand games
    "We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said. "We're not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."

Harrison would not be drawn on how this worked, even as I suggested various scenarios. For example, I asked whether you would need to pay for the second-hand disc at a store and then pay a fee to Microsoft when you got home, a bit like an Online Pass. Harrison wouldn't be drawn.

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

I got the impression from speaking to him - entirely my inference - that this Online Pass-style scenario of paying twice for second-hand, once at retail and once at home, was not the plan. But Harrison's reluctance to pre-empt this mystery announcement means that it is still a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

E3 will decide a lot more when both companies go a lot more head to head, in any event whichever one I decide to get I'll be doing my best to wait ~1 year so that any potential snafus are ironed out.

And just an observation, for all the people bashing it based on how it looks, I'd bet they're the same people who for the last year have also gave out about people buying things like Beats headphones just because they look good ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Worth a read

On borrowing a friends game to play it, that works no problem

What you quoted contradicts this - it says I can go to a mate's house, sign in as me and play away no problem. But then it says if my friend wants to continue to play the game after I've left he will need to pay a fee.
    even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

In all the information has MS clarified multiple gamertags on one console?

If I buy a disk or retail game and install it on a console, I know that *I* can play it on another console (signed in as me) but can the rest of the household (or indeed friends visiting) play the game (on their gamertags) on the original console that the game was installed (as the current DRM allows)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What you quoted contradicts this - it says I can go to a mate's house, sign in as me and play away no problem. But then it says if my friend wants to continue to play the game after I've left he will need to pay a fee.

As I understand it, once the game owner is signed in on a friends console, the game is then open to local multiplayer through a temp local license. When the game owner signs out & goes home, the friend will then need to pay for a licence if he/she wishes to continue playing that game

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wouldn't equate sales of preowned games to missed sales of full priced retail games. Using myself as an example I have bought many second hand games that I would never ever have bought at full retail, no sale was ever missed as it was never going to happen.

I'm finally beginning to sway towards the ps4, hopefully sony don't have similar BS plans for their console.

I meant it allows you to play a game on not just your own xbox but on your friends xbox too.

In fairness how are they going to allow you to install a game from a dvd and for it to continue to work indefinitely without the dvd?

1) No clue what games will be on either console
    2) Neither are backward compatible
    3) Sony havent said if the console requires a connection
    4) No clarification on PS4 allowing second hand games to play for free. In fact both xbox and ps4 are said to charge to reactivate a second hand title according to gamespot
    5) Specs are close to identical
    6) Xbox one is rumored to cost $299 with a 2 year xbox live subscription which is hugely subsidized
    7) Hardware and limitations (second hand games, connection etc) look similiar so it will be down to games as it always has been and always should be.

People need to relax, what on earth were they expecting from yesterday for crying out loud. Its not going to be on sale for 6+ months, dozens of things will change by then

Okay, the PS4 has also been unrevealing in its console, however that still leaves room for potential. Microsoft have explained what they want to do, people don't like it and therefore will be voting with their money, as will I. The whole "PS4 has won my vote" action is an outcry against Microsoft direction's with their console. View it as such

What Microsoft revealed yesterday was an entertainment system, an all-in-one experience that is obviously intended towards the casual audience - the layman, who plays mainstream titles, enjoys his sports, films and music and wants to be able to enjoy all of these things from a multi-functional device. And if Microsoft want to target that demographic that's fine.

However, that is not why I watched the show yesterday, it is also not why a lot of the people voicing their outrage watched the show. They wanted to find out about the next generation of console, where technology was going to take us, and allow us to do. I saw very little of that. All I saw was pretty pictures, and more realistic sport games. Again CASUAL DEMOGRAPHIC. No in-game footage, no display of what the console is actually capable of, nothing. That is what I watched the show for - To see what the ****ing machine, thats primary purpose SHOULD be games, is capable of in terms of gameplay. Again I was given nothing to satisfy me.

All of these extra details that have come to light post-conference, the one use with the disc, the always on features and other details that people are getting pissed off about - This is not speculation, which is the case with the claims that sony will incorporate the same features, this is fact. They're telling you this is what they intended to do. And the fact that this **** wasn't announced in the press conference shows they were nervous about the details and the reaction to it. This is **** that SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED AT THE CONFERENCE. THIS IS WHAT WE WANTED TO KNOW DIRECTLY FROM THEM. However, it would appear that microsoft are unable to clarify their position on the matter. It wasn't announced fully because they wanted to test the waters; find out if the consumer is willing to tolerate this sort of behaviour. Clearly not.

So what am I trying to say here: The conference yesterday has shown that Microsoft do not give a **** about hardcore gaming, they want to **** you for every dollar they can make from you and provide you with an entertainment experience, instead of a console. That's fine, the company wants to go down that route, power to them. However, although the Sony conference was also a load of ****, more devotion and attention was afforded to games, which is what I expect from a games console. As of now, I'm in the middle with regards to consoles, and will reserve making my financial investment decision until after E3, but as of now, my expectations are gone to avoid disappointment. I'm even beginning to wonder if PC would suit my gaming needs - something I never considered before as I enjoyed having a device devoted solely to games, which I could turn on and off without having to invest time and effort into my hobby.

Just a side note and a prediction: The gaming industry is going to have another crash. It happened in the 80's it's going to happen again. Gaming will once again become the practice of the enthusiast... Maybe it's better that way. Then I won't have to listen to marketing spiel trying to sell me **** I don't want, and not giving me what I want, a console that will provide me with a worthwhile gaming experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

After you leave with the disc it won't work, he'll have the game installed and would to pay a fee to use that install without your now gone disc.

You can't play a game you were lent after they've taken it back.

Good post Slugs but the gaming industry has never been bigger or healthier thanks to tablets, phone gaming, consoles, PCs etc
    Hardcore gamers are very much a dying breed and its now a mainstream pursuit
    According to Transparency Market Research (www.transparencymarketresearch.com) “Gaming Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Share and Forecast 2011 – 2015”, global gaming market was worth USD 70.5 billion in 2011 and is expected to reachUSD 117.9billion in 2015, growing at a CAGR of 13.7% from 2011 to 2015. In the overall global market, The Asia pacific region is the fastest growing geographical segment till 2015.The demand is forecasted to increase in the upcoming years worldwide due to advanced gaming features and increasing number of internet users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Has no one mentioned - slot loading drive = yay!, it'll be a Lite-On optical drive btw.
    I see some IR blaster connector at the back, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The more im reading about the new Xbox the more disappointed I am. Extremely US market focused. Who the hell cares about NFL?

As someone said "this content is not available in your region" is going to be rampant.

This fee for playing used games is a killer but I have a feeling it will be the same on the PS4 also as EA have dropped the online pass.

If my friend buys and game and lends it to me, I have to pay a fee? Come on thats bull**** of the highest order.

Very disappointed and the Kinect is gimmicky ****e. I honestly dont know enough about the PS4 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

any indication if it can support 64 player games online with the new specks and 300k servers? Thats one thing i really want. i'm jealous of the likes of massive 64player bf3 maps on pc.

Allow me to explain what I mean properly then.

The gaming industry is growing? Yes, most definitely, you have more participants and greater access to games than ever before. However, that does not necessarily mean that people will purchase a console, and when I refer to a "crash in the gaming market", I'm actually referring to the crash of the console market.

People purchased consoles because it allowed them the ability to enjoy more rich and and enjoyable experiences from the comfort of their sofa, without all the hassle involved in gaming on a PC. They wanted something that you could hook up and play within minutes. This functionality can now be achieved with a large amount of devices, meaning you can game from wherever you want, whenever you want, and this does not bode well for the console market, given that this was the market's previous niche. And this is why you're seeing microsoft pull all this **** as an entertainment system. They realise the console is on it's knees.

However, this is not the correct way to be going about it, and they're shooting themselves in the foot. Gamers want more in-depth worlds, better storylines, longer, vaster and more eventful battlefields, with hundreds of players involved. They want their console to be able to do more. The triple AAA industry, from what I can discern from yesterdays conference, is more concerned with making franchises look better and run smoother. This will drive development costs up to a level that will be unfeasible for small time developers, meaning innovation - from a better experience standpoint, won't be used, instead, it will be focused on what sells.

So what will this mean? If a console cannot provide experiences unmatched by other devices, and instead are only pushing franchises that are expensive to make and unappealing, hardcore gamers will go to PC or the competitor to get better experiences, casual gamers won't want to invest so much money on a single function device or on video games and either won't buy games frequently or at all, and the xbox will become an entertainment system which is what they want. Maybe Microsoft will stand this crash, but I can guarantee, they won't be making consoles... So ya, I believe the market will crash.

I hope you understand my point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Hard drive is 500GB, which is a fine amount I guess.
    The only problem is it can't be changed. 500GB won't last long if people are required to install their games on it.
    1) No clue what games will be on either console - True enough.
    2) Neither are backward compatible - Half true, PS4 will be using Gakai to stream old games, no word on details of this yet though.
    3) Sony havent said if the console requires a connection - Yes they have.
    4) No clarification on PS4 allowing second hand games to play for free. In fact both xbox and ps4 are said to charge to reactivate a second hand title according to gamespot - Had a look for this article, couldn't find it. Found lots of articles where Sony assures people that they will "do the right thing".
    5) Specs are close to identical - PS4 specs are better.
    6) Xbox one is rumored to cost $299 with a 2 year xbox live subscription which is hugely subsidized - Rumours and more rumours. PS4 is rumoured to be $399 with free online.
    7) Hardware and limitations (second hand games, connection etc) look similiar so it will be down to games as it always has been and always should be. - And is an area where Sony has always been the superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

The only problem is it can't be changed. 500GB won't last long if people are required to install their games on it.

All games are mandatory installs meaning that 500gb harddrive is gonna fill up real fast with dlc and apps stuff like that, hopefully they allow you to download the os onto a new hard drive since if that 500gb hard drive fails,
    your gonna have to ship the bloody thing to get it fixed which knowing MS will cost a fortune and take ages once warrantys are up at least thats my knowledge of it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can guarantee its going to be cloud based, So i wouldnt even bother thinking about how big a local hard drive is tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Apparently it will be possible to connect external drives to it using the USB 3.0 ports and they can act as additional storage. Link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement