Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

And if your kids want to play a game on their own account and not yours, you'll have to purchase another code from microsoft for the full retail price.

Nope.
    "What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So they're saying no without saying no. Welcome to the world of Public Relations sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A thought is to take 10% or 20% on the transaction of selling a game on the new xbox marketplace. That way both microsoft and the publisher will make money from second hand games. This seems the most obvious way to get a cut of the action, im sure gamestops margins are >40% on their second hand game sales at times so you can see why publishers want a cut of the action
    I certainly agree some form of compromise was needed. The current system, as engineered by the larger retailers, was simply untenable going forward, however, I find MS' solution equally objectionable. As for the platform holder getting a cut of that second hand sale, I'd be in vehement opposition to that, they get more than enough in the first place.
    Overall revenue should not be confused with volume of sales. Furthermore if a retailer makes the same or more profit on a €10 pre owned game sale versus a €50 - € 60 new game the percentage of revenue / profit derived is very much skewed.
    They don't though, as of their 2011 financials, the profit margin on second hand sales was 46.6% for second hand games yet 20.7% on new sales.

Second hand game sales at the €10 price point aren't the problem though, it's the ones at the higher price points that would most likely affect new sales. From the retailers perspective, once they hit that price they've either been purchased for pennies or been through the second retail cycle several times assuming they haven't been sitting on the shelves for a long time of course.
    1) Most big discount online retailers are operating from the channel islands and therefore outside of the EU. Most of the discount there is actually because there is no 23% VAT in the equation.
    While that may have been the case previously, that loophole was closed awhile back. Even before then there had been a rise in the popularity of stores outside of these areas, in the UK at least. Then there's Amazon who were cheaper for a different reason of course. :)
    2) Cost of running a bricks and mortar store is a lot higher than an internet site. For bricks and mortar stores to be discounting as much as they have been here in Ireland has only been made possible by the pre owned market here.
    Absolutely correct. I guess it just comes down to which company you'd prefer to see getting the profits, the retailers or the content creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WhoSaidWhut

Arawn wrote: »
    But what will it define as normal, I know for a fact when I'm in shape for kickboxing my heart rate is 52bpm but when out of shape it's 80.

Ever see persons of interest on tv.....think of all those wirelessly accessible cameras!

I really have no interest in xbox one tbh. I think im finally going to joing the gaming master race

Well as a kick boxer your health falls outside that of the average person.
    The average person has around 60-90 beats per minute. The average healthy male in his 20's should have about 70 resting.

But besides that, Microsoft has been going on and on about how Kinect will learn about you, so I guess it will take some preliminary readings over some time, average them out and class them as your own "norm".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

And if your kids want to play a game on their own account and not yours, you'll have to purchase another code from microsoft for the full retail price.

The xbox live tv is only available in the US at launch, you still have to buy xbox gold to play online, it requires you to connect to the internet, can't change hdds, no backwards compatibility and you have to buy the kinect whether you want it or not.

So to me there really isn't anything positive about the xbox one, if you want a gaming console that you can also use for nexflix etc it looks like ps4 is what you should buy but things could change in the next 6 months.

My understanding of this is that its the software is tied to a combination of your console and your gamertag, so any other users of that console in the same house can play the software, however if you want to lend that software to a friend who lives somewhere else, they can log in as you to play the game, but they cannot play with their own gamertag. This makes sense as otherwise you could buy one game, install it to every machine in the neighborhood and play away. I'm also guessing that if you want to trade in a game, you'll be charged a fee to transfer the licence off of your xbox, this then allows the new user to install it to his xbox and work away.

they really really need to clarify this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Where are Sony in all of this always on, used game stuff? Have they shown their hand? I can't imagine that EA would have cancelled the online pass thingy for any other reason than that they were assured that this new system was coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Used games? Up to the publisher. AFAIK, Sony are not doing the always online thing.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Used games? Up to the publisher. AFAIK, Sony are not doing the always online thing.

So basically, the same as Xbox for used games as the big publishers like Activision, EA etc will just do the same for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

To be honest the whole thing feels more like "Kinect - You are the REMOTE CONTROL".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pH wrote: »
    To be honest the whole thing feels more like "Kinect - You are the REMOTE CONTROL".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKuurkWK_qdLU-kIswL8a0AKy5WZiQekTC4y2utQbywIBiBP4ATw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

"That is not the channel you should be watching PH"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Where are Sony in all of this always on, used game stuff? Have they shown their hand? I can't imagine that EA would have cancelled the online pass thingy for any other reason than that they were assured that this new system was coming in.

Sony have said that PS4 will not need a connection. I don't think they've said anything regarding used games.

From what I've seen of the Xbox disc policy it's going to have a license system that works the same as the licenses for DLC at the moment. So when you install the game you'll get a license for your profile and for the console it's installed on. So this means that with your profile you can play the game on any console and on your console anyone can play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The other thing that's bugging me is the whole privacy aspect.

Presumably people working in MS have read (or at least heard of) Orwell's Big Brother - and they are asking us to put in our living room an "always on" camera and mic connected to a device that's permanently online and the software on which we cannot even inspect let alone change and make under our control.

This software can recognize us, photograph us, even check our vital statistics and we as lemmings are going to have this in our sitting rooms because we're all too fat and lazy now to even pick up a remote control to change the channel?

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but for me personally an "always on" camera and mic connected back to the mothership on a device I have no control of is not going in my sitting room. Ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Arawn wrote: »
    But what will it define as normal, I know for a fact when I'm in shape for kickboxing my heart rate is 52bpm but when out of shape it's 80.

Ever see persons of interest on tv.....think of all those wirelessly accessible cameras!

I really have no interest in xbox one tbh. I think im finally going to joing the gaming master race

Mine is about 58 but if the system recognises that as a baseline when sitting on my arse, then it can detect if I decide to just pack it all up and get lazy :)

I just looked up the story on the Sony approach to always online/used games. Got this.
    Update: Speaking at a roundtable session with the press attended by Ars Technica, Shuhei Yoshida stated that "when you purchase the disc-based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware." When asked whether games would require online registration, Yoshida noted that that decision was up to the publisher. When asked if Sony, as a publisher, would require games to be registered online, Yoshida said, "we are not talking about that plan."

While Yoshida's statement leaves open the possibility that individual publishers can still block used games at will, it's just as likely he was simply leaving the door open for the kind of "Online Pass" purchase systems that already routinely limit certain online game functions in used copies of games. So while there's still a bit of wiggle room in Sony's public comments, we'd also caution against reading to much into what Yoshida did (or didn't) say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Why do people care about the always on thing?
    Theres a wireless router plugged in 24/7 in pretty much every house these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

Isn't this just how Microsoft do things?

Windows 95 - bad, Windows 98 - good, Windows ME - bad, windows XP - good, Windows Vista - Bad, Windows 7 - good.

Xbox - bad, Xbox 360 - good, Xbox One - ....Bad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

colman1212 wrote: »
    Theres a wireless router plugged in 24/7 in pretty much every house these days anyway?

There was a near six/eight week intermittent outage for UPC customers here just December gone...they thought it was bad not to be able to play multiplayer...how do you think they'll feel given the same situation that they won't be even able to play offline? It's all very well & good saying 'sure most devices are always on the network', but the network can & does go down too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I_p_freely wrote: »

Windows 95 - bad, Windows 98 - good, Windows ME - bad, windows XP - good, Windows Vista - Bad, Windows 7 - good.

I see you left out Windows 8......;)

Orim wrote: »
    Sony have said that PS4 will not need a connection. I don't think they've said anything regarding used games.

I suspect that used games will be largely the same on that console. MS will have the once in 24 hours thing there to sell **** to you. Sign in, look at all the wonderful DLC and movies and music you are missing out on by not signing in.

TBF, most people sign in anyway to get their achievements and play online with friends so they would logically think that this was a good move. Also, the Xbox LIVE servers pretty much never go down for that amount of time. The worry is when my UPC goes down, which it invariably does, it is a problem.

From what I've seen of the Xbox disc policy it's going to have a license system that works the same as the licenses for DLC at the moment. So when you install the game you'll get a license for your profile and for the console it's installed on. So this means that with your profile you can play the game on any console and on your console anyone can play the game.

Yeah, I called this a while back. The technology was there and in use for online games. No way were they going to pass up this kind of opportunity.

• Advertisement

A place having internet doesn't mean a place that can get the Xbox online. I'm living in such a place currently, will be moving soon. Most of the time I'll be somewhere that the always online should be ok as of when I move, but I am not hedging my bets that there'll be downtime that really should not prevent my playing single player games. I loved the original Xbox and the 360, but I don't get how people can just accept this so easily.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I just looked up the story on the Sony approach to always online/used games. Got this.
    So basically, Sony have passed the buck and EA and Activision and the likes will do what they are doing on the Xbox. Thought as much.

What if you want your kids to have a console but you don't want them online?
    What if you want to bring your console to a mate's house but don't want (or can't) to connect to his net?
    What if you want to host a public gaming event with no access to internet?
    What if you want to play a game while the Xbox servers can't be reached?

Most importantly, what if I want to use the console and the games that I bought in a way that suits me?

I see you left out Windows 8......;)

Sorry,

Windows 95 - bad, Windows 98 - good, Windows ME - bad, windows XP - good, Windows Vista - Bad, Windows 7 - good, Windows 8 - bad (well the metro part and lack of start button and having to teach my GF and mother shortcut keys so they can find programs and.... - well, I'll leave that for another thread!).

What was bad about Xbox? I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

gizmo wrote: »

They don't though, as of their 2011 financials, the profit margin on second hand sales was 46.6% for second hand games yet 20.7% on new sales.

That is across their entire portfolio. In Ireland new games are being discounted more than other territories. Have a look at the european Gamestop websites where pre owned isn't as strong and you will see what I mean. The impact on the Irish market in particular will be a lot higher.

Second hand game sales at the €10 price point aren't the problem though, it's the ones at the higher price points that would most likely affect new sales. From the retailers perspective, once they hit that price they've either been purchased for pennies or been through the second retail cycle several times assuming they haven't been sitting on the shelves for a long time of course.

But those €10 - €18 in particular sales make up a huge chunk of that pre owned market and revenue.

While that may have been the case previously, that loophole was closed awhile back. Even before then there had been a rise in the popularity of stores outside of these areas, in the UK at least. Then there's Amazon who were cheaper for a different reason of course. :)

I believe that the loophole you mention being closed was a loophole closed by the UK government for sales into the UK from the channel Islands. The channel islands are outside of the EU for tax purposes so any items sold from and shipped from there to states other than the UK (and since we're talking about Ireland) are shipping without VAT. That's why you still occasionally get posts here about people being stun for customs after ordering from some of these sites. Amazon do include Irish VAT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Sorry,

Windows 95 - bad, Windows 98 - good, Windows ME - bad, windows XP - good, Windows Vista - Bad, Windows 7 - good, Windows 8 - bad (well the metro part and lack of start button and having to teach my GF and mother shortcut keys so they can find programs and.... - well, I'll leave that for another thread!).

See XP was horrendous till SP1 People have a serious case of rose tinted glasses about it.
    And the original Xbox was far from bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That is across their entire portfolio. In Ireland new games are being discounted more than other territories. Have a look at the european Gamestop websites where pre owned isn't as strong and you will see what I mean. The impact on the Irish market in particular will be a lot higher.
    Interesting, just did a quick comparison between the Irish, Spanish and German sites and there was indeed a varied discrepancy in pricing which doesn't seem to correspond to VAT rates. Must look into this a bit more, cheers for the heads up.
    But those €10 - €18 in particular sales make up a huge chunk of that pre owned market and revenue.
    Hmm, any source for this? You did mention an educated guess so would it be safe to assume you've worked for a retailer before?

As an aside though, if there is a large proportion of sales occurring at that price range then something still needs to be done to help ease people into a higher price bracket. The reasoning being, if this price range does see such a high volume of sales and revenue is still ~50% lower (again, across their entire portfolio) then it pretty much nullifies the argument that lower prices would result in increased profits via said increase of sales.
    I believe that the loophole you mention being closed was a loophole closed by the UK government for sales into the UK from the channel Islands. The channel islands are outside of the EU for tax purposes so any items sold from and shipped from there to states other than the UK (and since we're talking about Ireland) are shipping without VAT. That's why you still occasionally get posts here about people being stun for customs after ordering from some of these sites. Amazon do include Irish VAT though.
    I was under the impression that because they were still UK-based companies and just had their distribution centers in the Channel Islands, the closure would essentially affect all sales?

Tongue was firmly in cheek for my comment. Not to be taken too seriously!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Francis sums it up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement