Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

gizmo wrote: »
    Interesting, just did a quick comparison between the Irish, Spanish and German sites and there was indeed a varied discrepancy in pricing which doesn't seem to correspond to VAT rates. Must look into this a bit more, cheers for the heads up.

Hmm, any source for this? You did mention an educated guess so would it be safe to assume you've worked for a retailer before?

As an aside though, if there is a large proportion of sales occurring at that price range then something still needs to be done to help ease people into a higher price bracket. The reasoning being, if this price range does see such a high volume of sales and revenue is still ~50% lower (again, across their entire portfolio) then it pretty much nullifies the argument that lower prices would result in increased profits via said increase of sales.

I was under the impression that because they were still UK-based companies and just had their distribution centers in the Channel Islands, the closure would essentially affect all sales?

Safe assumption - still do - just not Gamestop. :)

The loophole was closed to protect UK mainland based business who were being hammered trying to compete with online sales from Jersey particularly when for the UK items could ship and arrive overnight as there was no customs clearance. In essence the UK said - yeah you're not in the EU but you are in our juristriction so we're insisting you charge / pay VAT. From an EU wide perspective though someone in Ireland buying from Jersey is the same as buying from the USA or China. It's considered as being outside of the EU and no VAT liabillity exists to the purchasers country even if the normal EU thresholds are broken. Which of course is why if our customs stop a package originating from Jersey they can levy VAT etc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Francis sums it up
    God I cant stand that character, its just not funny at all

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WhoSaidWhut

Francis sums it up

Poor show linking that. The man is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Poor show linking that. The man is an idiot.

'Francis' is also a character and not a real person. Who's the idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

can you download all games or do you still have to go out and buy a physical copy of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

pH wrote: »
    The other thing that's bugging me is the whole privacy aspect.

Presumably people working in MS have read (or at least heard of) Orwell's Big Brother - and they are asking us to put in our living room an "always on" camera and mic connected to a device that's permanently online and the software on which we cannot even inspect let alone change and make under our control.

This software can recognize us, photograph us, even check our vital statistics and we as lemmings are going to have this in our sitting rooms because we're all too fat and lazy now to even pick up a remote control to change the channel?

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but for me personally an "always on" camera and mic connected back to the mothership on a device I have no control of is not going in my sitting room. Ever.

Just don't say anything incriminating in the living room and you'll be grand. If you want to have sex on the sofa throw a towel over the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Carnegie wrote: »
    Just don't say anything incriminating in the living room and you'll be grand. If you want to have sex on the sofa throw a towel over the camera.

But I need that towel to keep the lube off the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

1ZRed wrote: »
    But I need that towel to keep the lube off the couch

You'll need to factor in the added expense of purchasing an extra sex towel while purchasing the new Xbox One in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

In reply to all the Stock-Price crap: Sony stock went up because Sony CEO is presenting to the board tomorrow about their turn around business strategy. Something must have leaked, those in the know must have bought, shorts must have covered etc. Nothing to do with PS4 vs Xbox One.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    In reply to all the Stock-Price crap: Sony stock went up because Sony CEO is presenting to the board tomorrow about their turn around business strategy. Something must have leaked, those in the know must have bought, shorts must have covered etc. Nothing to do with PS4 vs Xbox One.

;)

Yeah it was due to a possible sale of their entertainment division which is being considered by the board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dunno if this was posted already but i found it pretty interesting:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

the kinect stuff looks impressive altho i dont have one nor do i think i will ever need one...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-microsoft-wont-let-indies-self-publish-on-xbox-one

Indies and smaller developers are pretty much locked out of the Xbox One. The next generations Fez's, Limbos and the rest may very well appear on everything but the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Microsoft faces a backlash from some gamers after it emerged the company may charge a fee to play pre-owned games on its new Xbox One console.
    It would also mean borrowing a game from a friend will require a payment to play, possibly the full price............................
    He added that gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered.
    If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile.
    Don't see everyone going "digital" ,so it will probably effect a fair few.
    Looks like you will have to give your mate your profile details ,if he borrows your game ?.
    No more swopping?

"The margin on second-hand games is enormous, and the games industry has always been a little bit annoyed that it's a few retailers that dominate the market for games."
    End Quote Richard Wilson Games industry trade association Tiga
    The move could have a damaging effect on shops who rely on pre-owned sales not only to turn profit in their own right, but to also spur sales of new titles.
    Don't feel sry for them TBH ,from first hand experience ,the mark ups are crazy on 2nd hand.

"If Sony doesn't follow suit, I think for a reasonable proportion of the gaming market, this will be a big plus for the PlayStation console."
    Could be a few more sales for the new PS4.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

PS4 Gpu 50% more powerful than Xbox one and xbox one will still have the power brick (external psu)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

neacy69 wrote: »
    Dunno if this was posted already but i found it pretty interesting:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

the kinect stuff looks impressive altho i dont have one nor do i think i will ever need one...

The dedicated servers thing sounds like the bees knees for those of us that like our multiplayer:
    Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

BF4 should be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yo Mamma wrote: »

;)

Share prices and their movement has to do with multiple and various different aspects. To state that it has zero zilch and nothing to do with one of their largest entertainment competitors latest console launch is just plain ridiculous. All aspects of the market including a pending sale of a division impact share price.

Dont make silly statements about the markets because you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not may, will, according to MS VP. And it's not so much a fee as the price of the game to buy new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

it seems that i won't be buying a new xbox must start looking into the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,483 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

listermint wrote: »
    Share prices and their movement has to do with multiple and various different aspects. To state that it has zero zilch and nothing to do with one of their largest entertainment competitors latest console launch is just plain ridiculous. All aspects of the market including a pending sale of a division impact share price.

This is rubbish. Share price is affected by numbers.

When Sony and Microsoft announce numbers then their share price is impacted.

It is not impacted by product launches whilst the presentation is going on as stock investors would not make a call on one product being better than another before both are on the actual market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Share prices and their movement has to do with multiple and various different aspects. To state that it has zero zilch and nothing to do with one of their largest entertainment competitors latest console launch is just plain ridiculous. All aspects of the market including a pending sale of a division impact share price

You must be a stockbroker or something then ? I never claimed to know anything about what drives share prices it's common sense that tells me the share price is moving in response to this as opposed to moving in relation to this

Who knows maybe there is a .00000009 shift in the share price due to the XBox One release but I doubt it.

I could however (not being a stockbroker like yourself) be entirely wrong Heh

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

COYVB wrote: »
    Not may, will, according to MS VP. And it's not so much a fee as the price of the game to buy new
    At the current Marketplace price, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is thing basically a bastardised PC without the ability to upgrade the hardware yourself?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is thing basically a bastardised PC without the ability to upgrade the hardware yourself?

Yep like the current generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

listermint wrote: »

True but so is everyone else screaming about share prices showing that this is flop. Games journalists need to shut up about things they haven't a bulls notion about.

Example people talking about Microsoft being down in the wake of the announcement but failing to note that they still up ~$5 since they announced the May 21st announcement. (annouception)
    murpho999 wrote: »

It is not impacted by product launches whilst the presentation is going on as stock investors would not make a call on one product being better than another before both are on the actual market.

Product launches and any form of news can have a massive effect on the markets. Talking about the market like it's some all knowing entity is wrong. Stocks are owned people and people react to news.

A great example was a post on boards which led to a company losing a massive chunk of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

murpho999 wrote: »

Share price is impacted by 'everything' which is why the hacker tweet about a white house explosion last month wiped 135 Billion off the Dow Jones for a period of time.

News is news in wall street buddy Numbers are something to latch on to long term. Im not saying share price cant be impacted again. But it is a certainty that product launches can have a major impact on how a share is perceived.

Im sure you know this already and dont need it pointed out though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I fully expect I'll pick up an xbox one someday down the line, as a multimedia device first with the addition of some great games. For now though, it's looking more likely that I'll be getting a ps4 day one...but there's a lot of time between now and then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

PS4 Gpu 50% more powerful than Xbox one and xbox one will still have the power brick (external psu)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

Sony FTW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 WhoSaidWhut

Achilles wrote: »
    'Francis' is also a character and not a real person. Who's the idiot?

Character or no, still an idiot. Still, it doesn't take much to please idiots. Just saying :rolleyes:

Just watched a youtube video of some plonker saying he was 95% the Xbox was going to be called Xbox Infinity, and then another report someone had put 400E on it.

Sting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement