Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Am I the only one that's pretty happy with it? :pac::pac::pac:
    I didn't like the scarcity of details and actual operation of it, but what can you do. Sony pulled the same stunt...

I do use my Xbox for media a lot, especially like's of YouTube. Great graphics was a bonus, but never a key factor in why I was happy with it. I always found that the reason why I like the Xbox the most was for its Xbox Live functionality. Party chats and great craic online. If they keep that I'm all in!

Also liked this part from the link above
    Xbox One has a new connection that no other console possesses - an HDMI input (supporting 1080p, 3D, even 4K - at least the 30Hz version of it supported in HDMI 1.4a)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mod: Lads, no personal insults. Ill be handing out bans for any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Oh man, Microsoft just keep digging
    it's one thing to say it's because of hardware problems, costs etc but to insult the very people you're supposed to be selling to. :confused:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/don_mattrick_if_youre_backwards_compatible_youre_really_backwards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Meh, the comment doesn't bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

3GB of One's 8GB DDR3 will be occupied by the OS's as opposed to Sony's supposedly zilcho

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bookies make the PS4 clear favourite to outsell the Xbox One:

http://www.oddschecker.com/novelty/xbox-one-playstation-4/top-selling-console-in-2013

3GB of One's 8GB DDR3 will be occupied by the OS's as opposed to Sony's supposedly zilcho
    That article cites Joystiq and IGN as the source. Going to both sources, I see the 8 GB DDR3, but I fail to see the 3 GB RAM claim anywhere.
    3GB of Xbox One's RAM is also said to be reserved for system resources, including apps and the console's three operating systems, leaving 5GB for other processes.
    Who says, I wonder? Not the cited articles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That article cites Joystiq and IGN as the source. Going to both sources, I see the 8 GB DDR3, but I fail to see the 3 GB RAM claim anywhere.

Who says, I wonder? Not the cited articles.

Ok, here's a verified source instead

Happy now? Skip to about 9:45 if you want to watch this particular section. He didn't deny the remarks (except with just mhmm mumbles between each statement) made but he was decidedly dodgy with the question at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Meh, the comment doesn't bother me.

Bit of a kick in the nads, especially when the a future statement will be along the lines of "Hey folks, remember all those XBLA titles you bought before? Great news, now you can buy them all again for the One!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

EnterNow wrote: »
    Bit of a kick in the nads, especially when the a future statement will be along the lines of "Hey folks, remember all those XBLA titles you bought before? Great news, now you can buy them all again for the One!"

Ah lets be fair, I'm sure they'll offer a discount for when you're rebuying things. "The Great Big Buy It All Again Sale" it'll be a wonderful time.

Orim wrote: »
    Ah lets be fair, I'm sure they'll offer a discount for when you're rebuying things. "The Great Big Buy It All Again Sale" it'll be a wonderful time.

I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wonder...

Works for Steam. How many people buy stuff in bundles during the sales that they may already have or never actually play?

Personally I still like what I saw last night. If it's as slick as the demo and the features aren't crippled in Europe (or massively overpriced subscription models) then I'd be very interested.

People keep going on about the graphics etc but seriously, it's using modified current-gen hardware. Of course it was never gonna give you Holodeck realism which by some of the posts I think some people expected?! It's more evolution than revolution.

Look at the rise of Smart TVs. People clearly want more all-in-one devices. The fact that this one will also play some cool games is surely a good thing, not a negative! It's a media station that plays games now, not a games console that does media... evolution!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Works for Steam

Do people have to re-purchase all of their previously bought Steam content when they upgrade/replace their pc every two or three years?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Works for Steam. How many people buy stuff in bundles during the sales that they may already have or never actually play?

Kinda of different as Steam don't take the content before they make you rebuy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Do people have to re-purchase all of their previously bought Steam content when they upgrade/replace their pc every two or three years?

No, it is joined to your account. You can go to any PC in the world, log into Steam and download the game you already purchased.

Yousef wrote: »
    No, it is joined to your account. You can go to any PC in the world, log into Steam and download the game you already purchased.

I know, which is why I don't think steam is a valid comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

This video kinda explains the steam pc world comparison.

If xbox stopped used games but followed a similar route as steam where as after a few months after the game is released its price drops.

Current gen games on 360 and ps3 retain stupid prices and it should be more like steams system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even the list of games puts the PS4 in the lead for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    In reply to all the Stock-Price crap: Sony stock went up because Sony CEO is presenting to the board tomorrow about their turn around business strategy. Something must have leaked, those in the know must have bought, shorts must have covered etc. Nothing to do with PS4 vs Xbox One.

;)

Why did M$'s shareprice drop ?

• Advertisement

I know, which is why I don't think steam is a valid comparison

its a perfect comparison on the Xbox one you will be able to log into any Xbox one and sign in and play your games its exactly the same as a steam account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Just waiting for the 'Hitler reacts to Xbox One video' to hit youtube...

As expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

GIF Time!

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

It dropped but tbf it was very marginal. It's quite normal for stock to drop/rise nominally in a day. If it were more than 5% then there's valid reasons to be concerned.

Because they claimed Santa wasn't real.

Mandatory installs is bugging me further. It's going to ruin the "OMG OMG it's here vibe" of getting a game and playing it. Now you're going have to wait the 20 minutes or so to install the game everytime. At least it'll give you a chance to input the half dozen DLC codes.

It's only a small thing but it's the same things that make the difference between a good and great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You could always keep the 360 and play them that way! What a great idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mandatory installs is bugging me further. It's going to ruin the "OMG OMG it's here vibe" of getting a game and playing it. Now you're going have to wait the 20 minutes or so to install the game everytime. At least it'll give you a chance to input the half dozen DLC codes.

It's only a small thing but it's the same things that make the difference between a good and great experience.

Is fairness to Microsoft, they say they have this tech that will install the game in the background. You'll put in the disc and can start playing immediately while it installs without ever interrupting your play.

Mandatory installs is bugging me further. It's going to ruin the "OMG OMG it's here vibe" of getting a game and playing it. Now you're going have to wait the 20 minutes or so to install the game everytime.
    Nope. From what I'm reading, you play right away and install happens while playing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-lets-you-play-immediately-during-installs-suspend-an/

Nope. From what I'm reading, you play right away and install happens while playing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-lets-you-play-immediately-during-installs-suspend-an/

Oh some people believe every little thing they hear and moan and moan without doing any research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nolars wrote: »
    Oh some people believe every little thing they hear and moan and moan without doing any research.

Well seeing as nearly every negative rumour about the xbox is true, can you blame them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement