Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Well seeing as nearly every negative rumour about the xbox is true, can you blame them

all ive heard over the past few months is on always online drm thats not true, oh you have to wait for ur game to install, thats not true, oh you hav to pay to play a game at ur friends house thats not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Orim wrote: »
    At least it'll give you a chance to input the half dozen DLC codes.

Just had a cool thought. It'd be deadly if the DLC codes are given as QR codes and you just have to hold it up to the kinect for it to auto scan it. This could obviously work with XBOX live subscriptions and MS points, save us the pain of manual entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nolars wrote: »
    all ive heard over the past few months is on always online drm thats not true, oh you have to wait for ur game to install, thats not true, oh you hav to pay to play a game at ur friends house thats not true.

• Yeah your friend has to pay the full retail price of the game if he wants to play your game on his xbox. This might also get rid of trade ins.
    • Xbox requires you to be online at least once a day and quite possibly constantly once their cloud computing kicks in.
    • Ps4 gpu is 50% more powerful and xbox only has 5GB ddr3 for games compared to Ps4's 7GB GDDR5 so games will look better on ps4 after a few years.
    • You can't replace your hdd.
    • Still have to pay for xbox live.
    • Xbox will still have the external power brick and controllers still need replaceable batteries.
    • Kinect is mandatory, so even if you don't want it you still have to pay for it.
    • It's not backwards compatible, even with your arcade games.
    • Xbox tv only available in the US at launch.

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

always online drm thats not true
    In fairness, that's going with the letter of the objection, rather than the spirit. The objection isn't "I don't want to have to be connected at all times" it's "I don't want my gaming when playing single player to be impacted negatively should I be offline."

Now, no, you don't need to be *always* online. Just once every 24 hours. That, to me, isn't a good outcome.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Pushtrak wrote: »
    In fairness, that's going with the letter of the objection, rather than the spirit. The objection isn't "I don't want to have to be connected at all times" it's "I don't want my gaming when playing single player to be impacted negatively should I be offline."

Now, no, you don't need to be *always* online. Just once every 24 hours. That, to me, isn't a good outcome.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Well for me i only play online so it doesn't make a huge difference, as do alot of people in this day and age, but ya there probably is a small majority who will have an issue with this.

• Advertisement

• Yeah your friend has to pay the full retail price of the game if he wants to play your game on his xbox. This might also get rid of trade ins.
    • Xbox requires you to be online at least once a day and quite possibly constantly once their cloud computing kicks in.
    • Ps4 gpu is 50% more powerful and xbox only has 5GB ddr3 for games compared to Ps4's 7GB GDDR5 so games will look better on ps4 after a few years.
    • Xbox will still have the external power brick and controllers still need replaceable batteries.
    • Kinect is mandatory, so even if you don't want it you still have to pay for it.

Am I missing anything?

Console are just following suit as PC have done, Steam doesn't allow you trade games and in turn you get better sales and bargains. Would take this on xbox any day.
    I only play online as alot of people do if anyone has a problem with this just go ps4.
    ps3 was more powerful aswell but as the ps4 it will have to be ported. games on ps3 didnt run as smooth. I should say some games. You should really look more into this as you clearly have no idea what you are on about.
    you cant replace 500gb hd so what
    xbox live I didnt mind paying for on 360 cause we got good features such as party chat, and early cod releases etc etc
    havent payed for batteries in years they are called rechargeable batteries.
    I dont play old games just the latest fifas cods etc.
    Dont care about TV.

So you are pretty much saying ps4 is great and xbox sucks you have highlighted as many negatives as possible. I dont even know if i will get either console but you have obviously made up ur mind already so I dunno y u bother to come into the Xbox forum and argue with people why the xbox is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

I honestly think we'll see something like

8 new ips:
    Ryse
    Quantam break
    Black Tusk new game
    Rare new game
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

7 reoccurring ips:
    Halo 5
    Forza 5
    Fable MMO (?)
    Dance central 3 (?)
    Crackdown 3 (?)
    ?
    ?

at E3 and probably a couple of kinect shovelware games,
    but who knows maybe they'll shock us all with a fantastic line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

• How often people really trade games? Some kids do a lot. I generally don't as people just destroy the disc surface.
    • Does it really matter if it has to be online. Nearly everyone has WiFi at this stage, it will obviously kick start with its low end processor do what it needs and go back to sleep
    • Get what your saying, though who cares? Xbox was always about entertainment first, gaming second, its all the stuff it brings together with gaming that makes it a great machine. Unless its going to be doing some crazy VR **** your not really going to need a **** load of power. Most games that are cross platform will have around the same graphics anyway.
    • Want more storage, plug your own HDD through the USB 3.0 port.
    • Never had a problem with paying for XBLG, I make good fun of it.
    • Power Brick is annoying!! Thats if you don't have it hidden behind the TV together with the birds nest of wires...
    • This is a way bigger advantage. PS3 controller batteries are not exchangable, batteries die, good luck! Either wait for it to recharge or play with the annoying wire. Xbox Controller = Take them out, put in the other battery pack and off you go.
    • Do agree mandatory kinect is a bit annoying, but if you ever used it in some games, sometimes its a good bit of fun.
    • Well you can always keep your old Xbox 360 and play them that way?! Are we really still crying about that craic?
    • Is Xbox TV not just putting in the HDMI cable from the satellite box into the Xbox and letting the Xbox control what you watch? Its always the biggest issue with Microsoft of treating everyone outside the US and UK as 2nd class citizens.

Thats my 2 cent anyway, there's an easy option to all the problems. Dont like it, dont buy it. Go buy a PS4, Wii-U, PC or an iPad, whatever makes you happy. Dont see how going on an internet forum and complaining about it is going to change anything. The only annoying feature I see is that if your buying a second hand fee youll have to pay a fee for the game again, it was never mentioned it was going to be the full price of the title, only a fee as far as I read and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you cant replace 500gb hd so what

it won't take many of them manditory install games to fill up your hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ryuji_w wrote: »

PR waffle on the things that matter. Personnally I believe that at this stage the always on and used disc situation are too ingrained into the system. At the very best it's going to be limited until they have a decent install base.

About the only thing that still has me interested is smart glass. I understand that the PS4 is going to do something similar with the Vita but as I've complained about previously my problem is with the companies restricting me and taking away my choice.

Orim wrote: »
    PR waffle on the things. Personnally I believe that at this stage the always on and used disc situation are too ingrained into the system. At the very best it's going to be limited until they have a decent install.
    I don't know... Really, I'm wondering what kinds of things can be added with a system update and what are the things that are going to remain as-is due to no choice in the matter.

I mean, if I was asked at the launch of the 360 and PS3 something like, "do you think the 360 will get a install game feature?" I'd probably have said, "I don't know, can a system update do that?" Much the same applies here. Though, obviously, just because it turns out yes in one doesn't necessitate the answer to the other being the same.

Edit: Total PR waffle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

those Q&A sessions are so heavily vetted that you never get any real info from them anyway.

I don't know... Really, I'm wondering what kinds of things can be added with a system update and what are the things that are going to remain as-is due to no choice in the matter.

Maybe I am being too negative but with the stuff they've said it shows a line of thinking that I'm not comfortable with.

Although as someone said early maybe it's just the difference between getting or not getting a kiss before you get f*cked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well for me i only play online so it doesn't make a huge difference, as do alot of people in this day and age, but ya there probably is a small majority who will have an issue with this.

Definition does not fit :pac:

So yes, there will be a majority who take issue with not being able to play offline (unless connected to internet once every 24hrs), and so long as Sony don't go and implement something similar that majority is gonna switch on over, I've little doubt about that.

There are bits and pieces about the X1 that I really like and see loads of potential, however I fear for the gamer the cost is going to be too much (and to be absolutely clear, I do not mean monetary cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well if nothing else, the Xbox One reveal has really made me consider buying a Wii U. Might wait for after E3 and hope for a price drop but it's an unapologetic games machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

There's a lot of consoles coming out this year not just Microsofts Xbox One.

Obviously Wii U, obviously PS4, but there's going to be the OUYA, the Steambox, Alienware X51. Who knows what Apple and Samsung will conjure up in the coming years. And if all else fails, we still have the ever reliable PC. :)

So don't get pissed off about it. Plenty of competitors. Hit Microsoft where it hurts. Their pockets.

C'mon this is boards, where is the Atari Jaguar love?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

From what I've been reading nothing has been finalised yet, so I won't jump to conclusion and il wait for the finer details to be announced before I dish a console I know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

So if I turn on my Xbox one in ten years and try to play my games will it work or will it need to access a discontinued server and not play?

I can play a snes today.

• Advertisement

C'mon this is boards, where is the Atari Jaguar love?

I've been reading the spec sheets and they are clearing aiming way too high. No way the tech is available to deliver on their wild promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I can play a snes today.

But I bet you don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Xbox One will be out in October.

Battlefield 4 have Xbox One version plastered on the website saying "The Battle Begins October 29th". GTA5 was pushed back for this too I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Will the ps4 be backward compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm just salivating thinking about the security specs of both new consoles. Will Sony stick with their security model for the PS3 and improve it to prevent the same attacks it came under. It was the most well secured console of the current generation. What will Microsoft do to up the ante against pirates (and by virtue, homebrewers). The times are very interesting, especially with the switch to the x86 architecture. The thoughts of it *drools* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Headshot wrote: »
    Will the ps4 be backward compatible?

No, the change over from the Cell/PPC architecture to x86 on both consoles rules out the possibility of slapping in the disc and having it play natively on the hardware. Software emulation is *possible* but unlikely if you ask me.

Sony patented a device that could emulate the Emotion engine from the PS2 and connect over USB to the PS3, no such device exists to the knowledge of the general public. And this was Sony's masterpiece; the best selling console of all time, selling more units than both PS3 and Xbox 360 combined (as of January 2013). In January Sony stopped production of the PS2. If an emulator never came out for it I just can't see it happening for the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep we may never see the PS3 emulated. It's as messy and convoluted as the Saturn's architecture.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/22/xbox-one-faq

"Will Xbox One use dedicated servers for multiplayer games?
    Yes. Microsoft has 300,000 servers in place for the Xbox One's launch and games are no longer hosted on a player's own Xbox console. If you've ever felt the frustration of a multiplayer match ending because the host switched their console off, prepare to be thankful it'll not happen anymore."

Everyone seems to be talking aboutt his online if its true its awesome.

Good to see welcome news for the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

just wondering does anyone know or hear if xbox arcade games bought this generation will be playable on the xbox one?? i have over 1,000 euro worth of arcade titles and dlc on my live account it will kill me to not be able to play those games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement