Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Keep your 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

just wondering does anyone know or hear if xbox arcade games bought this generation will be playable on the xbox one?? i have over 1,000 euro worth of arcade titles and dlc on my live account it will kill me to not be able to play those games.

No, no games will carry over. Same for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

just wondering does anyone know or hear if xbox arcade games bought this generation will be playable on the xbox one?? i have over 1,000 euro worth of arcade titles and dlc on my live account it will kill me to not be able to play those games.

Then prepare to die I'm afraid. See my previous post. It doesn't matter if the content is Xbox Live/DLC/Arcade or on a disc - it's all built for the PowerPC architecture of the 360.

I wouldn't be considering the death of the xbox 360 any time soon, I see it as Microsoft's PS2; it'll be about for a few years yet and especially if the launch prices floated around are to be believed.

There is even a rumored new compact 360 to be shown at E3 so it could be MS's PS2 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i definitely cannot see myself purchasing any arcade titles on the new console so. to say it that i feel ripped off, yes i do...

surely they can run arcade games on that system sure they are all tied to my same account..

if i am going with one ill be trading my 360 or selling it.. i dont have enough room for two consoles nor would i have the time to play both...

shame really.

• Advertisement

i definitely cannot see myself purchasing any arcade titles on the new console so. to say it that i feel ripped off, yes i do...

surely they can run arcade games on that system sure they are all tied to my same account..

It's not that simple. XBLA games are designed to run on a Power PC system, ala the 360. The Xbox One uses x86 like all PCs and the PS4. The game would have to be rewritten or an emulation hardware or software unit built into the new console at great expense and complexity to get them to run.

It's not that simple. XBLA games are designed to run on a Power PC system, ala the 360. The Xbox One uses x86 like all PCs and the PS4. The game would have to be rewritten or an emulation hardware or software unit built into the new console at great expense and complexity to get them to run.
    wasnt aware of that apologies.

but still cant justify keeping the 360 :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So now apparently the XB1 won't support headsets as the audio port is different, meaning you'll have to purchase new ones.

Holy mother of god, why!?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,369 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So now apparently the XB1 won't support headsets as the audio port is different, meaning you'll have to purchase new ones.

411_money.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

silly silly microsoft, even apple couldn't get away with that :P

• Advertisement

source??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

This is going to be annoying. Hopefully my A50's come with an upgrade to connect with the next gen console.

Backwards compatibility issues were always going to arise. Perhaps they'll sell an accessory to alleviate the problem

miralize wrote: »
    This is going to be annoying. Hopefully my A50's come with an upgrade to connect with the next gen console.

Backwards compatibility issues were always going to arise. Perhaps they'll sell an accessory to alleviate the problem
    A50s?? oooh you posh fecker....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

A50s?? oooh you posh fecker....

Posh alright but it works with everything... Its also theoretically future proof as the receiver is the only thing that interacts with the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Jaysus this console's getting bad press, every single comment I've read today on microsoft's facebook updates, eurogamer, edge etc. have been so very negative.

I don't see the always online thing as a big deal at all, both my consoles are literally always connected to the internet. If you have to 'unlock' a pre-owned disc then retailers will obviously have to absorb that cost, if a new game costs 60 quid and 'unlocking' it costs €30, no-one is going to give Gamestop €40 for the pre-owned title so I don't really understand why people are freaking out so much? Also some developers may be more likely to jump on the xbox one wagon precisely because of the massive losses incurred through standard second hand sales.

I think it looks nice, lot's of people throwing around the term vcr but I think it looks like it would dominate a living space but in a good way. I'm excited to see the capabilities of the new kinect, especially if it might suit gameplay with the Occulus Rift :D

Pretty boring name but it's better than the '360'! Indie development is rumoured to be canned, so it will be interesting to see if people struggle publishing on the Xbox. I have a feeling though if you have a decent game they will welcome you with open arms....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

:(http://www.destructoid.com/devs-express-disappointment-with-xbox-one-over-twitter-254326.phtml

ahh man it's just getting worse now for microsoft, sony and nintendo are pretty happy i'd say.

hmm what's gonna happen if (A) microsoft decide to filp the off switch in 10 years or so if everything is on servers then that means we lose it/or access to it, no?
    (B)servers blow up/get hacked and virus wipes out the servers.*
    This is why having physical copies of things is nice since even if any of the above happens you're safe in that at least you still have the game,assuming saves were on cloud servers.

*though i'm hoping microsoft keeps some physical copies just in case of the above
    Farfetched thing to imagine yeah and most likely never gonna happen in the case of B but in the case of A you're screwed if you get a nostalgia buzz 20-30 years from now since no server access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Orim wrote: »
    What if you want your kids to have a console but you don't want them online?
    What if you want to bring your console to a mate's house but don't want (or can't) to connect to his net?
    What if you want to host a public gaming event with no access to internet?
    What if you want to play a game while the Xbox servers can't be reached?

Most importantly, what if I want to use the console and the games that I bought in a way that suits me?

Just saw this kind of stuff now, I have a feeling...and I'm fully prepared to eat my non-existent hat on this, but I think allowances will be made for the console to actually play offline if you can't connect because UPC is broken. There is still confusion about it but obviously Microsoft are aware that even in the middle of New York an internet connection can go down. URL="http://www.edge-online.com/news/xbox-one-will-require-internet-connection-all-games-must-be-installed/"]the vague info[/URL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

source??

IGN reported it about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408253/blog/opinion-only-games-can-save-xbox-one/

CVG saying that basically the xbone has more flaws than holes in swiss cheese and the GAMES at E3 is the only way to save it now.

I would have thought we had some by now even a 5min gameplay trailer consisting of COD, FIFA, Quantum break and Forza at the end of the console reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

While I don't think I ever want to hear about TV/Entertainment again saying it has to be saved by Games to me seems so childish. I don't see anything PS4 can do that this can't for example the launch titles will be identical. A far bigger concern is annoying the fanbase who have a 360 and are left wondering who the target audience for this will be and needing at least 50 important questions answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This link says ps4 much more powerful than xbox 1,
    xbox uses 3gig ram for the os,ps4 uses 1gig.

quote;

This is a mess. It's got significantly slower RAM than the PS4, and less of it addressable: 3GB of the Xbox's 8GB is reserved for the Windows 8-based OS; Sony were always planning to use faster RAM, which in the early stages of design, meant it'd have less, which in turn meant they had to be careful with the OS overhead. Falling RAM prices allowed Sony to match the quantity of Microsoft's RAM and beat its speed, so while the Xbox has 5GB out of 8GB of slower RAM available to developers, PS4 has 7GB out of its 8GB of incredibly fast RAM.
    While in the past, multiplatform games have had to aim at the "lowest common denominator" (meaning that there was very little difference in most games between formats), the fact that this time the two consoles are so similar architecturally should mean it's relatively easy to "scale up" games to take advantage of the PS4's superior specs: broadly speaking, it'd be like the difference between running a game on an off-the-shelf general purpose PC and a hand-built gaming PC using top-of-the-range components.

This is like 1984,
    kinect is on all the time.
    watching,listening.
    eg you are paying for a company to monitor you.
    And the console has to connect to xbox live once in 24 hour period.
    its like buying a phone,
    and having 30 per cent of ram, used for twitter,facebook,flickr,google plus , even though i have no interest in using those apps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

At this point the ps4 looks much better if you just want to play games.

EG PS4 graphics card at least 30 per cent faster than the xbox 1 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If you have to 'unlock' a pre-owned disc then retailers will obviously have to absorb that cost, if a new game costs 60 quid and 'unlocking' it costs €30, no-one is going to give Gamestop €40 for the pre-owned title so I don't really understand why people are freaking out so much? Also some developers may be more likely to jump on the xbox one wagon precisely because of the massive losses incurred through standard second hand sales.

The secondhand market was the only real advantage the Xbox had over PC's. Now thats gone what's the point of buying a locked down box that has laptop hardware in it. Hardware that will be outdated in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Nolars wrote: »
    its a perfect comparison on the Xbox one you will be able to log into any Xbox one and sign in and play your games its exactly the same as a steam account.

Xbox is 4% of Microsoft revenues. More or less irrelevant in the grand scheme of things

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Hardware that will be outdated in 12 months.

Seeing a lot of this and it's incredibly ignorant towards the advantages of having a single set of hardware to design and code games for. Have a look at the difference between Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 4/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite on the Xbox 360 and you'll see why having outdated hardware isn't as much of an issue as it allows developers to squeeze far more out of the hardware when they know exactly what will be in each and every machine out there.

---

Here's one for all the doom-mongerers in here:

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Have a look at the difference between Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 4/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite on the Xbox 360

---

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif
    I have they look and they look like ****e on that old 360 hardware.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I have they look and they look like ****e on that old 360 hardware.

What are you comparing it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nolars wrote: »
    its a perfect comparison on the Xbox one you will be able to log into any Xbox one and sign in and play your games its exactly the same as a steam account.

Games I bought ten years ago worked on my then pc, several pc's in between & will work on whatever pc I have in ten years. Specific hardware isn't a consideration with Steam, unlike console marketplaces where consoles come & go and support for them is dropped as the years go by. So no, I still don't see Steam being directly comparable to XBL/PSN. Buying on Steam means you can play content on that pc, & the pc you'll have in five years, the pc after that, & the pc you;ll have in twenty years {assuming Steam is still around}.

If say you bought loads of content for the 360 via its marketplace. Then eventually XBL will be discontinued for the 360, much the same as it was the original Xbox. Then after that, the console breaks & you have to get another one. Where's all your content? How are you able to retrieve it onto a replacement machine? The answer is you won't be able to once there's no marketplace for the console. Unlike Steam. Nit picking I know, but it's always a niggly thing in the back of my mind when buying console content from marketplaces.

As for the One, & not being backwards compatible...I'm fine with that, doesn't bother me at all & I never use it. But don't come out with marketing bs like "If you're using backwards compatibility then you're backwards".
    You could always keep the 360 and play them that way! What a great idea! :D

Oh I will, it can join all my other consoles that go back to the Atari 2600. Being a console collector, that's the fun bit! But not everyone is so inclined, and for a box that claims to be the entertainment hub...doesn't quite tie in with that ethos if you have to have your old 360 planked beside the One does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

With the changes to the new controller, mainly the change to the port where the headset goes, does anyone know will the headsets I have now work with the new controller, I will not be happy to have to pay out another €180 for a good head set on top of the buying the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I just don't get the absolute hatred coming out since the announcement to be honest. It's mental how bad the press is. I thought it was apretty impressive and they're clearly keeping a lot of the gaming stuff for E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Seeing a lot of this and it's incredibly ignorant towards the advantages of having a single set of hardware to design and code games for. Have a look at the difference between Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 4/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite on the Xbox 360 and you'll see why having outdated hardware isn't as much of an issue as it allows developers to squeeze far more out of the hardware when they know exactly what will be in each and every machine out there.

---

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

The issue here is its significantly weaker than the PS4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

PS4 exclusives are going to be truly next gen and in a year or to so will the cross platform games
    The Xbox One will age quicker.
    The Xbox 360 came with one of the best GPU's available at its time of release in fact I think it was an unreleased GPU.

If you like the entertainment machine then this thing is great but it definitely hasn't been designed break ground in console gaming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement