Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Why do people keep mentioning MS's market research?

They released Windows RT and decides to force Metro UI on windows 8.

Clearly there market research is crap or non existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

COYVB wrote: »
    Our Xbox One unit arrived today!

http://i.imgur.com/zlUK6sD.jpg

Lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Who says games journalists have little to be doing eh? :P

Who says games journalists have little to be doing eh? :P

How much for the Xbox One your advertising?

justryan wrote: »
    How much for the Xbox One your advertising?

Given its rarity, we can't let it go for less than ten thousand dollars

We'll throw in a free copy of Halo 1 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

This looks pretty awesome

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/23/destiny-the-law-of-the-jungle/

Destiny CG/live action trailer

Live action and CG should never be mixed in the context of games IMO - cheapens both of them

Given its rarity, we can't let it go for less than ten thousand dollars

We'll throw in a free copy of Halo 1 too

Sold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

justryan wrote: »
    Sold

Would you like this rare add on also?

It allows you to seamlessly control your TV/VCR/DVD/Cable/Satellite inputs on your TV without having to leave your seat to plug in and out extra cables as well as your Radio/CD player if you feel like some music

7-in-1-Universal-Remote-Control-For-European-Market-.jpg

Adamcp898 wrote: »

It allows you to seamlessly control your TV/VCR/DVD/Cable/Satellite inputs on your TV without having to leave your seat to plug in and out extra cables as well as your Radio/CD player if you feel like some music

Done would you accept payment in snake oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Do you live in the US? If not the only thing you'l be able to use this for is gaming and probably Netflix.

Between my multiple hard drives, 360, PS3 and laptop I already have a pretty sweet wireless setup as is with everything at my fingertips. My point is that to less tech minded people the, what should be, seamless integration of this console wirelessly with say Windows 8 devices and the fact that it's a blu ray player as well as whatever else they may have for E3 means that to the "layman" this will come across as the actual multimedia hub they tried to make the 360 into through updates and new dashboards.

Plus, you have to take into account how wildly impressive people will find the little things such as connecting their TV box to the console, suddenly this machine "controls" everything. I don't mean to be talking down the average consumer but the simple fact is that core gamers don't always realise that the majority of what we do and want to do with consoles with regard to their abilities outside of gaming are irrelevant to the common consumer ie the biggest buyer base

Xbox One Handheld announced

NzUJ9WP.jpg

Xbox One user guide leaked

5xR6E1o.jpg

Adamcp898 wrote: »

This is genius. I hope you don't mind I pinched it to and combined it with MS's assets for the XBOX ONE handheld thing:D

Also what is with everyone complaining about the Kinect being an "extra expense we don't need or want"........ Somebody see a price for the new console I'm not aware of? This is likely to be between four and five hundred quid. If it comes I'm at four, the kinect is irrelevant because they were always going to charge more than the Wii U (currently RRP 360) and kinect or not kinect they would charge this because they can justify it. Fair enough it may come I'm closer to five.... Still not far enough away from the Wii U imo for the kinect to be any factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

niallon wrote: »
    Also what is with everyone complaining about the Kinect being an "extra expense we don't need or want"........ Somebody see a price for the new console I'm not aware of? This is likely to be between four and five hundred quid. If it comes I'm at four, the kinect is irrelevant because they were always going to charge more than the Wii U (currently RRP 360) and kinect or not kinect they would charge this because they can justify it. Fair enough it may come I'm closer to five.... Still not far enough away from the Wii U imo for the kinect to be any factor.
    Because you are paying for it even if you didn't want a ****ing kinekt.Ever.

You end up with a very expensive paperweight, that money could gone towards an extra game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That post didn't make a whole lot of sense.
    The main point is, the Kinect bundled with every console will drive the price up. By how much we're not sure. But considering the average price of a brand new Kinect atm is around 100euro, I'd imagine Kinect 2.0 with its upgraded technology will cost around the same if not more.
    Another point I just thought of is, what if the Kinect breaks? I don't own a Kinect, but from looking at it, it looks to be a fairly fragile piece of technology, and its resting on top of the tv assumingly. If that were to fall and one of the cameras broke, your Xbox One is now unusable until you go out and buy another Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Another thing is, I have no room for Kinect. My room is 12ft by 10ft, my LED TV is wall mounted and my consoles just sit on the floor under it. My bed takes up half my room so even if I did have Kinect 2 I have no where to set it up never mind use the fecken thing. SAy the X1 cost €500, that means it's €400 with a €100 Kinect 2, I'd rather that €100 went towards 2 extra games than a paper weight that's required for the console to actually work weather I use it or not.

The whole setup marketing plan is dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

PS4 is likely to be more powerful.
    PS4 is likely to be easier to develop for which will probably in turn mean nicer looking ports.
    PS4 is likely to be a bit cheaper (no expensive Kinect unit, no DVR)

PS4 is likely to be my next-gen console (but probably not for a year or so, Current-Gen has some great games to catch up on and to look forward to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    PS4 is likely to be easier to develop for which will probably in turn mean nicer looking ports.

PS4 is likely to be my next-gen console (but probably not for a year or so, Current-Gen has some great games to catch up on and to look forward to)

1) correct
    2) they're bot fairly straight forward to develop for. both have the same architecture with similar specs
    3) dont expect it to be MS can afford to take a loss on the console sony cant really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Most importantly (for me at least) - PS4 is encouraging and making it easy for indie developers.

Some of the best games of the last two years have been from developers that simply won't be able to get their games on Xbox One. The likes of Thomas Was Alone, Guacamelee, Hotline Miami and Sound Shapes are games that just won't make it to the Xbox One because of Microsoft's daft publishing rules.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Regardless of its raw power I bet my life savings on the fact that the hardware could be graphically limited for better multiplatform support. I'd expect the exclusives to look a lot better.

Regardless of its raw power I bet my life savings on the fact that the hardware could be graphically limited for better multiplatform support. I'd expect the exclusives to look a lot better.

This gen the PS3s GPU was weaker than the 360's GPU and the PS3's exclusives were better looking but cross platform games generally looked and ran better on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

When someone like Jonathan Blow who made his money with Braid originally on LIVE comes out and says working with Microsoft was a bad experience, you know something is wrong. Some of my favourite games this gen were on LIVE arcade, if more of those are going to be on PSN from now on, thats a big plus for me.

And Microsoft should realise that, 360 would be a lot poorer without Braid, Trials HD, Shadow Complex and all the Twisted Pixel stuff.

For example, I bought Trials HD, its sequel and all of the DLC for an approx total of 3800 points ( I believe Ive bought all of them bar 1 of the DLC for full price), thats not to be sneezed at and tossed away.

Then you have Fez on the 360. The developer wanted to patch it after it came out but MS charge so much for a developer to upload an update to Live that they could not afford to do so they had to leave the game as is. That's just sad.

That post didn't make a whole lot of sense.
    The main point is, the Kinect bundled with every console will drive the price up. By how much we're not sure. But considering the average price of a brand new Kinect atm is around 100euro, I'd imagine Kinect 2.0 with its upgraded technology will cost around the same if not more.
    Another point I just thought of is, what if the Kinect breaks? I don't own a Kinect, but from looking at it, it looks to be a fairly fragile piece of technology, and its resting on top of the tv assumingly. If that were to fall and one of the cameras broke, your Xbox One is now unusable until you go out and buy another Kinect.

Microsoft haven't been in the business of charging relative to what parts do or don't come in a machine for a long time. It's not as if their pricing plan was going to be 300 but there's an extra 100 because of the kinect.

Basically they have two criteria for pricing: be competitive with the PS4 and also that they can justify selling it for more than the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This is genius. I hope you don't mind I pinched it to and combined it with MS's assets for the XBOX ONE handheld thing:D

If you must, thanks whore :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

still jumped pretty high

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsms

i don't see how that can be a coincidence

• Advertisement

I really don't like the idea of constantly connected kinect. The idea of getting home from a mate's house where his kinect recognised me and saw me drinking and turning on my Xbox with suggestions of what to watched based on how much I drank is a little off-putting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement