Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Then you have Fez on the 360. The developer wanted to patch it after it came out but MS charge so much for a developer to upload an update to Live that they could not afford to do so they had to leave the game as is. That's just sad.

Both MS And Sony have sorted out patching fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Interesting read, especially this point;
    People who live outside the US will know how late we got access to Netflix, many still don't have it, and we still don't get many of the entertainment services. To us, the 360 only had half the functionality they advertized in the US. But it was alright, because 360 was still mostly a game console, so you got what you payed for.
    But the Xbox One seems to be a 50% TV-box and 50% game console, especially given the rumors saying half the memory is locked for gaming. So unless the TV and entertainment features are supported outside US, we're paying full prize for half the product.
    Do you know anything about this? Will the sport features work in Europe? Will the DVR and TV functionality work for our brands? What is their strategy for Europeans, if they have any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Brilliant read
    This for me sums up all the whinging that is going on here and in other forums, hardcore gamers and their opinions simply dont matter unfortunately. This thing will sell like hot cakes at the right price point
    Nintendo Wii won precisely because it didn't focus on hardcore gamers. Serious gamers are now complaining that XboxOne focuses too much on entertainment while PS4 is for serious gamers.
    XboxOne could manage to attract a Wii size audience with entertainment options while also attracting plenty of serious gamers with both cross-platform and exclusive games.
    If that's the case, and it makes the most total consumers happy (while making a profit), do hardcore gamers really matter? If Microsoft loses a couple million "hardcore gamers" (who constantly complain) to pick up 5 times as many casual consumers, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

grizzly wrote: »
    Any word on how long Microsoft will support Live on the 360 for?
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Good question, because when that goes bang so will any support for your purchases, and when your volatile 360 goes bang and you pick up another, you can kiss goodbye at any hope of recovering your purchases.
    Unless they do something nice, which is not really the business these people are in.
    Meesared wrote: »
    It was working on the original Xbox up till 2010, 4.5 years after the 360 launch. Given the popularity of the 360 I wouldn't be surprised for it to last longer than the original Xbox

Have they said if xbox live marketplace arcade games already purchased can transfer to the new machine? I imagine they'll be bring over the whole library to the new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No, if you want to play the games whether disc or on the console you'll have to keep the 360. The system architecture of the One is completely different, and doesn't support any of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I really wish the device was released soon after the announcement, as in a week or two. Waiting 7 months sucks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have they said if xbox live marketplace arcade games already purchased can transfer to the new machine? I imagine they'll be bring over the whole library to the new box.
    They can't be. There is no backwards compatibility, including Live/Arcade games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I really wish the device was released soon after the announcement, as in a week or two. Waiting 7 months sucks.

Sega did that with the saturn in NA they said it would be released in september 1995 then announced at e3 that that date was BS and that it was available immediately at a couple of retailers:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I would hope that Xbox Live on the One and the 360 are somewhat assimilated ie running from the same server and not vastly different. That way, MS COULD be fierce nice and just leave the 360 servers and service running all the while the One service is running. That way we won't have to all stay logged in playing Halo 4 in protest five years from now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Won't be 7 months. 5 at most, I'd say. For a start, it'll be out before Black Friday in the US, which is 6 months away. I reckon end of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Thing I noticed most about the on stage demo was the voice activation.

Man wandering around waving hands everywhere.
    Man stands In front of xbox, puts hands in pocket.
    "Xbox on" fiddles with something in pocket.
    Man goes back to wandering around stage waving hands.
    Every time voice command was used hands went into pockets.;)

He was either using a remote in his pocket or was really enjoying himself on stage.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Brilliant read
    This for me sums up all the whinging that is going on here and in other forums, hardcore gamers and their opinions simply dont matter unfortunately. This thing will sell like hot cakes at the right price point

I'm not too sure about that. There are similar devices like Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, Boxxee, etc. along with the various Smart TVs that already do most of what the xbox offers and they do it for a lot less than what the xbox will cost. These devices are either built in or are available right now for under €100, the xbox will never come close to matching that. This is why there were so many rumours that MS wanted to release an entertainment only version of the xbox along side the xbox but decided against it.

For me (30something guy) and most other people around my age this devices offers nothing that we don't already have or need... outside of gaming. This is why people are disappointed, MS are basically releasing a HTPC with gaming as an addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that. There are similar devices like Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, Boxxee, etc. along with the various Smart TVs that already do most of what the xbox offers and they do it for a lot less than what the xbox will cost. These devices are either built in or are available right now for under €100, the xbox will never come close to matching that. This is why there were so many rumours that MS wanted to release an entertainment only version of the xbox along side the xbox but decided against it.

For me (30something guy) and most other people around my age this devices offers nothing that we don't already have or need... outside of gaming. This is why people are disappointed, MS are basically releasing a HTPC with gaming as an addon.

For me thats more than a little inaccurate.
    Reported price is $399 with a 2 year xbox live subscription which you pretty much have to buy anyway else the console is useless. Hardly excessive
    Xbox 1 is 5-8 times more powerful than a 360 depending on which site you read. People whinged and complained about the 360 being underpowered relative to the PS3 but at the end of the day most major releases will be built for the lowest common denominator hardware ie the xbox 1. Plus MS are happy to push the boat out on DLC and buy anything in site to push content for its console.

For me im a 30 something and im looking foward to E3. A great games line up and ill be first in the queue to buy this console as I loved the 360. Games line up disappoints then I wont be buying it, simple as that. Its about the games, whoever secures the best titles will be getting my money.

Things like voice control of the console and the entertainment functions are a welcome add on plus i now use the sky app and netflix on my xbox a heck of a lot more than I would ever watch the regular tv so this will suit my needs.

In 1-2 years time if "an amazing" new interface is developed for sky sports to watch soccer/F1/Rugby/cricket etc do you not think people will buy this by the droves? I certainly do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

odyboody wrote: »

He was either using a remote in his pocket or was really enjoying himself on stage.:eek:

In fairness if they wanted to fake it they could easily just have someone back stage pushing the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

For me thats more than a little inaccurate.
    Reported price is $399 with a 2 year xbox live subscription which you pretty much have to buy anyway else the console is useless.
    Yes, but you have to buy your Xbox Live at Microsoft's exorbitant rate, and not the price that it is normally available online.
    They currently charge $15 a month for their subscription model with the Xbox 360, so thats $180 a year. 12 months on Amazon is $48. So, over the 2 year period, you'll have paid an extra $260 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

mcgovern wrote: »
    Yes, but you have to buy your Xbox Live at Microsoft's exorbitant rate, and not the price that it is normally available online.
    They currently charge $15 a month for their subscription model with the Xbox 360, so thats $180 a year. 12 months on Amazon is $48. So, over the 2 year period, you'll have paid an extra $260 dollars.

It's more like an extra $360 over the two years because the competition offers that service for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

odyboody wrote: »

Are you suggesting he was controlling the Xbox One with his genitals?

Now that's what I call next gen.

It's more like an extra $360 over the two years because the competition offers that service for free.

I have a PS3, and it's not the same service. PSN is nowhere near as good as Xbox Live, so for me, I've no problem paying €35-40 a year for a service that works, and rarely goes down. I would have a problem paying €150-180 a year for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I have a PS3, and it's not the same service. PSN is nowhere near as good as Xbox Live, so for me, I've no problem paying €35-40 a year for a service that works, and rarely goes down. I would have a problem paying €150-180 a year for it though.

I definitely think Xbox Live is a superior service. But there isn't a big enough gap in the quality to warrant an extra 50euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Over on the Xbox.com forums there is an official poll on what will drive the buying decision of the One. Predictably, I went with the internet connectivity as my main one. Only 5.9% of people voted that way. Anyway, people here should go over there and vote.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817/t/1356129.aspx

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Over on the Xbox.com forums there is an official poll on what will drive the buying decision of the One. Predictably, I went with the internet connectivity as my main one. Only 5.9% of people voted that way. Anyway, people here should go over there and vote.

Kinect features at a whopping 1.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Pushtrak wrote: »

Just had a look at it there. Just under 40% voted on the secondhand games fee as their concern about the new machine.

I voted Game licensing. Its more important to me really, I have internet most the time even though it is fairly unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

You left out "in my opinion".

Psn rarely goes down and works just as well for me as xbox live, apart from cross game chat.
    I've always had a problem with paying for xbox live because I might go 3 months without playing online so 1. not getting value for money 2. don't like having to mess about with payments if I just want to play an online match or two.

I'm quite disappointed with the xbox one so far, it'll have to do an awful lot at e3 to endear itself to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I highly recomend listening to the Wired Game Life podcast, there was a number of topics brought up that were not in the written articles. although may be covered now.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/gamelife-podcast-xbox-one/

Xbox live subscription seems more linked to a main account, all other accounts on the same console will have live access.

Kinect has much wider field of view, you can be 3ft in front of it and still fit your whole 6FT tall body in.

the Presenter whom spent days with microsoft reiterated a few times that MS still want this to be a hardcore games console but this wont be emphasised as much in the first presentation, suspect a lot more coming E3.

The controllers rumble triggers sound like a really cool feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I definitely think Xbox Live is a superior service. But there isn't a big enough gap in the quality to warrant an extra 50euro a year.

That might have been true before Playstation Plus was launched, but personally PS Plus swung it massively for me. I've got 5 or 6 full retail games sitting on my PS3 now unplayed on top of the bucket load of other free games I got from the service make it much superior to Live for me. I'm not interested in cross chat or anything, and definitely not interested in not being able to stream Netflix without having a Gold subscription.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That might have been true before Playstation Plus was launched, but personally PS Plus swung it massively for me. I've got 5 or 6 full retail games sitting on my PS3 now unplayed on top of the bucket load of other free games I got from the service make it much superior to Live for me. I'm not interested in cross chat or anything, and definitely not interested in not being able to stream Netflix without having a Gold subscription.

I was mainly comparing Xbox Gold membership, to normal non PS+ membership on PSN. They're both great services, XBL being a little more reliable, but not warranting 50euro a year. PS+ is a fantastic service, and is actually worth the 50euro a year, XBL isn't.

Apparently this is how the game licensing fee will work:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

If thats true its not as bad as previously thought, but it still eliminates lending, renting, trading, and private selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Looks like the patent Microsoft got in relation to Kinect being able to monitor how many people are in the room and take action if more viewers than are allowed is going to be implemented in the XOne too.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    This looks pretty awesome

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/23/destiny-the-law-of-the-jungle/

Destiny CG/live action trailer

I think Bungie are going to have something special with Destiny, think its going to make Ms wish they had it as exclusive. and Sony get the reveal at E3, not MS.

You just know they are going to do things right with this game, looking and sounding fantastic. Can wait for it.

As for XBOX1, totally underwhelmed by their press conference, they had an opportunity to trump Sony, after their PS4 announcement was very light on well everything. But MS could have shown so actual gameplay of at least two titles (I know E3 is just around the corner), but they could have stirred up huge interest ahead of it.

As for most of their stuff, its all mainly gimicky Kinect stuff, and the "call up your fantasy team" during an NBA game...yea blew me away :rolleyes:

Most of the services they are talking about will be US only, and we wont even see versions of them here for a couple of years, so as an earlier poster said, we paying full price for half the functionality.

As for the design of the unit...appaling (imo).... whoever came up with that should be ...well.... sent to a gulag. The 360 when it came out look soo cool, lovely curves and shape...now we have a ehhhh square box half of it with the risges from the current Xbox and the other half all flat... hmmm no likey :(

And the whole, install the game to the cloud and its locked to your account, so if you lend the game to anyone, they need to buy a licence key for it... wow, how much are EA paying them for that. MS really trying to screw every penny out of their customers. MS and EA obviously want an end to the traded market.

Anywho, well see what E3 brings, but I dont think Im alone when I say Sony must be smiling broadly at the moment.....becuase unless MS have some seriously kick ass new exclusive IPs (and I wont count Halo, as H4 was a big disappointment), then I think I'll pass on the half Wii, Half Media, Half Game, Half whatever else they trying to bolt on device that is Xbox1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

In my experierence I would say that Xbox live is slightly better in feel but nowhere near enough to justify €50 annually. The PS4 is being built around that social side of things that the Xbox was and will include cross game chat and everything the xbox live currently does -all for free.

If the xbox did something similar to PS+ and gave you something back for your money then I wouldn't see a problem with it. I got my years sub to PS+ for €35 and the value has been crazy good even after just 2 months, so to me PS+ is a better service than xbox live.

Paying €50 to just use cross game chat and see ads on your dashboard is not worth it, imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement