Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Looks like the patent Microsoft got in relation to Kinect being able to monitor how many people are in the room and take action if more viewers than are allowed is going to be implemented in the XOne too.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138

That's crazy, even if it's not implemented I do not want a kinect in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what do you have to hide?

suspicious-dog-o.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

TheBigEvil wrote: »

Anywho, well see what E3 brings, but I dont think Im alone when I say Sony must be smiling broadly at the moment.....becuase unless MS have some seriously kick ass new exclusive IPs (and I wont count Halo, as H4 was a big disappointment), then I think I'll pass on the half Wii, Half Media, Half Game, Half whatever else they trying to bolt on device that is Xbox1

Can you imagine the Steambox exclusives? Jesus. Team Fortress 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3, and HALF LIFE 3!

Valve have this whole console thing wrapped UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Why? What exactly is the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

I can put up with most the stuff if the games are savage,
    used game fees, yup
    24hr check, yup and the rest of them.

But i won't put up with the fcking gimmicky kinect because you have to have it just to run the console, So if 2-3 years from now it breaks because maybe a family member or pet knocked it to the floor, congrats your 400-500€ console, and your games collection so say 15 games at 40€ a pop (600€) nevermind dlc and what not,
    turns into fcking useless paperweights until you fork out at the moment a minimum 120€ (for the current one, new one could well be dearer) (play.com) for a new one so it'll be a least 2 if not 3 weeks for most people since they've got bills and all to pay then shipping time to wait unless you go to gamestop.

so i'm sorry but i most likely won't get it cause of that since it'll already be a 120€ plus paperweight and if it breaks, my games console and whole games collection becomes useless paperweights and in 2-3 years i could easily have 30-40 games, so you're talking about around 1000€+ worth of games and a 400-500€ games console becoming useless because a 100€+ kinect broke

it might not be too bad for some people because they'll actually use it, but i won't and i don't have a choice in that. so if MS release a version that kinect free in 2-3 years i'll consider getting it depending on exclusives but for now it's PS4 and the Wii U at some point, but i'm sticking to my 360 for at least a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yousef wrote: »
    Can you imagine the Steambox exclusives? Jesus. Team Fortress 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3, and HALF LIFE 3!

Valve have this whole console thing wrapped UP!

Wonder if its possible that they're holding off on all of them until they have the steam box up and running? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    I can put up with most the stuff if the games are savage,
    used game fees, yup
    24hr check, yup and the rest of them.

But i won't put up with the fcking gimmicky kinect because you have to have it just to run the console, So if 2-3 years from now it breaks because maybe a family member or pet knocked it to the floor, congrats your 400-500€ console, and your games collection so say 15 games at 40€ a pop (600€) nevermind dlc and what not,
    turns into fcking useless paperweights until you fork out at the moment a minimum 120€ (for the current one, new one could well be dearer) (play.com) for a new one so it'll be a least 2 if not 3 weeks for most people since they've got bills and all to pay then shipping time to wait unless you go to gamestop.

so i'm sorry but i most likely won't get it cause of that since it'll already be a 120€ plus paperweight and if it breaks, my games console and whole games collection becomes useless paperweights and in 2-3 years i could easily have 30-40 games, so you're talking about around 1000€+ worth of games and a 400-500€ games console becoming useless because a 100€+ kinect broke

it might not be too bad for some people because they'll actually use it, but i won't and i don't have a choice in that. so if MS release a version that kinect free in 2-3 years i'll consider getting it depending on exclusives but for now it's PS4 and the Wii U at some point, but i'm sticking to my 360 for at least a year

This logic works for everything, surely? If your dog or a friend knocks over your console it may break. If your friend knocks your €500 smartphone off a chair, at best the screen will crack, or you drop it into your drink and ruin the thing completely. I'm viewing it as an all in one thing, console + Kinect. There are handy TV mounts that secure it for you if you are really concerned about that but possible breakage is another of the bizarrely overly negative points I've seen made about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You could use the same logic to not buy a console, or other electronics.

This logic works for everything, surely? If your dog or a friend knocks over your console it may break. If your friend knocks your €500 smartphone off a chair, at best the screen will crack, or you drop it into your drink and ruin the thing completely. I'm viewing it as an all in one thing, console + Kinect. There are handy TV mounts that secure it for you if you are really concerned about that but possible breakage is another of the bizarrely overly negative points I've seen made about this.
    I have to admit that logic didn't make much sense to me either

Meesared wrote: »
    I have to admit that logic didn't make much sense to me either

Some of the stuff I have read has seen people really reaching to produce negatives. The Kinect may break! Your mate may troll you and turn your console off if you have voice sound coming through the TV speakers when playing multiplayer! It has a power brick#

It's not like there aren't negatives there to focus on without going wild with what-ifs and fortune telling scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's not like there aren't negatives there to focus on without going wild with what-ifs and fortune telling scenarios.

Indeed, and these threads are becoming unreadable because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I think one good pro from all of this is that all games Install, and you never need to use the disc after the install.

Now the drive iwll fill up, but you can use ANY external HDD for saving content on even games.

Some of the stuff I have read has seen people really reaching to produce negatives. The Kinect may break! Your mate may troll you and turn your console off if you have voice sound coming through the TV speakers when playing multiplayer! It has a power brick#

Another bizarre negative I see people talking about is its size, who cares? Its gonna be underneath the TV anyway, tucked away, also from a cooling standpoint, bigger is definitely better.

I'm not saying the XB1 doesn't have issues on its hands, it definitely does, like the uncertainty over sharing games, and trade-ins

How big do they reckon the blu-ray games will be to install? The current gen on Xbox is around 6/7gb average. With that, you'd get at least 50 games on a 500gb HDD, with everything else on there. Will it double for next gen blu-ray games?

yes but you need the console to play games, you need your screen on your phone for it to work, you don't need kinect for a lot of games it's not as if i can't use a controller to use my console
    i can understand making kinect always connected to the console for the console to work, if all the games used it,
    there is a good chance a lot of games won't use kinect so i could have games that don't use it in anyway what so ever yet won't be able to play them unless kinect is connected and working meaning if it breaks i'm unable to play games that don't use it and don't actually need it to be able to be played until i buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Also all games will be downloadable, you will not need to buy from B&M store, will be very interesting to see pricing from MS.

yes but you need the console to play games, you need your screen on your phone for it to work, you don't need kinect for a lot of games it's not as if i can't use a controller to use my console
    i can understand making kinect always connected to the console for the console to work, if all the games used it,
    there is a good chance a lot of games won't use kinect so i could have games that don't use it in anyway what so ever yet won't be able to play them unless kinect is connected and working meaning if it breaks i'm unable to play games that don't use it and don't actually need it to be able to be played until i buy a new one
    With the 360 if you break your controller you cant use it either, its a strange argument really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Some of the stuff I have read has seen people really reaching to produce negatives. The Kinect may break! Your mate may troll you and turn your console off if you have voice sound coming through the TV speakers when playing multiplayer!

Kinect is definitely more fragile than a full console. People want the console, not kinect. Therefore if Kinect breaks even though they don't want it they still can't play the console.
    Your analogy about the console breaking, or a smartphone breaking isn't really the same because in that regard the console and the smartphone are the main, and only devices, if they break of course they can't be used, but if a gimmicky device that people don't use breaks, then the rest of the console should still be usable, but it won't be.

And about your point about people trolling, its definitely a problem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5fq8fYVahE

Kinect is definitely more fragile than a full console. People want the console, not kinect. Therefore if Kinect breaks even though they don't want it they still can't play the console.
    Your analogy about the console breaking, or a smartphone breaking isn't really the same because in that regard the console and the smartphone are the main, and only devices, if they break of course they can't be used, but if a gimmicky device that people don't use breaks, then the rest of the console should still be usable, but it won't be.

It's not an issue anymore though, MS has addressed this in the new Kinect

The point is, the fact you have to avoid a console/electronics breaking is something that makes you careful about how you treat them. You do things to avoid them breaking. The kinect thing would be no different. Would it suddenly be such a challenge to make sure kinect isn't broken stupidly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Furp wrote: »
    Also all games will be downloadable, you will not need to buy from B&M store, will be very interesting to see pricing from MS.

Well if their current pricing structure is anything to go off - €69.99 for FIFA, CoD, etc - then it's going to be a rip-off.

Yes, but MS are providing the Kinect as part of the console for you to use. It is not only for games, but for use at dashboard level and beyond. As far as this product is concerned, it is like having a smartphone touch screen. We don't really need the touch screen, considering it is probably the most breakable part of a phone now and older phones worked fine, but is a cool addition that enables us to do a lot of different stuff.

The Kinect is the same, even if it's not your cup of tea - it's not mine either - and not how you'll play games or intereact with your console. The Wii showed us that people seemed to like motion controlled stuff, when done well, so it's not surprising that another company is trying to expand on that.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The point is, the fact you have to avoid a console/electronics breaking is something that makes you careful about how you treat them. You do things to avoid them breaking. The kinect thing would be no different. Would it suddenly be such a challenge to make sure kinect isn't broken stupidly?

i know that, but all it takes is one person being careless moving it to another room to render the whole console unusable despite the entire console's hardware and software are intact and not broken or corrupt, and a lot of games which don't require it being unplayable, not only that
    but i've got 6 yr nieces, they like mess and sometimes like to play football in the house despite not being allowed. so having a fragile piece of equipment render an entire console unuseable is actually stupidly flawed when said console doesn't require it for one of it's main functions that is playing games

Any stats to back this up? Genuinely interested as I don't know the numbers regarding percentages of Kinects breaking relative to consoles breaking. Actual physical breakages would be even less frequent, I'd imagine. It's not something to focus on and as I said, bizarre that it is being made into an issue.

As stated already on this thread, this has been addressed as not an issue with Kinect 2.0. Also, even if it wasn't, it would only be an issue for the people who play multi-player without a full headset and happen to be in a party with friends who are arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

so why Does xbox one need to connect to the net once very 24 hours?
    I presume this is to stop piracy,drm ,etc
    BUT even when the ps3 was hacked ,
    the drm keys were cracked it made no difference.
    IT s not practical , to copy ps3 blueray discs,
    50gig files.too large,
    especially when i can go to game and buy preowned games for 25 euro.
    ITS not like the ps2.
    i never heard of anyone selling copy,ed ps3 blueray discs.

I think the new xbox 1 disks, will have loads of drm protection on them ,with very sophisticated copy protection.
    Even with fast broadband , now, i cant see many people downloading an 50gigabyte iso file.
    This kinect gimmick really annoys me,
    cos i,m paying for something ,
    i,ll never use .
    ITS a waste of electricity and space and processing power.
    They should have made it like the 360,
    leave off the kinect if you want.
    Many games dont use kinect,
    or have it as an option for some commands.

This is a sign from microsoft,
    if you dont have ,have a good broadband service ,
    We Don,t want you as a customer ,even if you buy xbox games.

Theres people in rural area,s with very slow net connections.
    They,ll buy a ps4 ,or a 360 console instead.

ITS bad design, if the kinect stops working, you cant, use your console.

This console looks as if it was designed by the cia.

I could put up with online passes, paying for xbox live etc
    if i wanna play cod online,
    I Don,T mind paying for a good online service.

The kinect 2 , reminds me of the wii U,GAMEPAD,

a totally unnessary gimmick.

people just wanna play good well designed games.
    eg i want a console,good games and a controller.
    everything else is a gimmick.

riclad wrote: »
    I presume this is to stop piracy,drm ,etc
    BUT even when the ps3 was hacked ,
    the drm keys were cracked it made no difference.
    IT s not practical , to copy ps3 blueray discs,
    50gig files.too large,
    especially when i can go to game and buy preowned games for 25 euro.

I think the new xbox 1 disks, will have loads of drm protection on them ,with very sophisticated copy protection.
    Even with fast broadband , now, i cant see many people downloading an 50gigabyte iso file.
    This kinect gimmick really annoys me,
    cos i,m paying for something ,
    i,ll never use .
    ITS a waste of electricity and space and processing power.
    They should have made it like the 360,
    leave off the kinect if you want.
    Many games dont use kinect,
    or have it as an option for some commands.

This is a sign from microsoft,
    if you dont have ,have a good broadband service ,
    We Don,t want you as a customer ,even if you buy xbox games.

Theres people in rural area,s with very slow net connections.
    They,ll buy a ps4 ,or a 360 console instead.

ITS bad design, if the kinect stops working, you cant, use your console.

Mind structuring that a bit better please? Its headache inducing to read

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

This is why. Microsoft and the Publishers(No requirement to relay the profits back to the developer) want a cut of the used games market.

an 50gigabyte iso file.

Where is this from? What 50gb iso file will you need to DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

• Advertisement

It's not practical , to copy ps3 blueray discs,
    50gig files.too large, especially when i can go to game and buy preowned games for 25 euro.
    What? I don't see the connection between storage space being used up and pricing.
    Can anyone remember how much Ni No Kuni was? Lots of people downloaded that. Largely, people will be installing though. From a disc. While playing the game.
    Yes, this thread needed to bring in some tin foil hat thinking.

(By the way, your poem/song had no rhyming structure to it at all.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement