Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Blueray discs can be from 20 to 50 gigabyte in size,

so in theory even if the xbox drm copy protection was cracked,
    the file sizes would be very large.
    A console thats has a camera thats on,connected to the internet ,
    that has skype installed,
    Well it might be a target for hackers.
    This console is basically a pc running windows 8 with kinect version 2.
    THEY have said it must be connected to the net every 24 hours.
    Whats the reason for this?
    IS it to check the drm on the games you have on the hardrive.
    I presume its to do with drm,copy protection .

AS far as i know theres no one copying ps3 games,
    as the files are too large,
    its not worth copying blueray disks , 30gig plus data files.
    They already have a system to ban 360 consoles for use on xbox live.
    I don,t think it makes financial sense to copy blue ray disks,
    as you cant rip a ps3 game down to 2 or 3 gigs ,
    and run it in a form thats playable as a game on a console.

IT would be abit more secure if you could leave kinect off,
    as with the present 360.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

riclad wrote: »
    Blueray discs can be from 20 to 50 gigabyte in size,

so in theory even if the xbox drm copy protection was cracked,
    the file sizes would be very large.
    A console thats has a camera thats on,connected to the internet ,
    that has skype installed,
    Well it might be a target for hackers.
    This console is basically a pc running windows 8 with kinect version 2.
    THEY have said it must be connected to the net every 24 hours.
    Whats the reason for this?
    IS it to check the drm on the games you have on the hardrive.
    I presume its to do with drm,copy protection .

AS far as i know theres no one copying ps3 games,
    as the files are too large,
    its not worth copying blueray disks , 30gig plus data files.
    They already have a system to ban 360 consoles for use on xbox live.

This DRM has nothing to do with copy protection/anti piracy. It is solely there to control the used games market. I'm sure the PS4 will have the exact same kind of restrictions, thank the greedy publishers for this one!

Nick

so What is the reason for the console having to check in once every
    24 hours ?

AS far as i know theres no one out there copying blue ray games ,
    onto blank discs.
    OR downloading 30gig plus iso,s ps3 games from pirate websites.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

24 hours ?

From what I can gather, it's so that if you have traded in a game you can't disconnect your xbox from the internet and continue to play the game regardless.

1) you buy game, use the disc the first time and the game installs to your hdd and you no longer need said disc. that disc must have some code embedded or something (or the bar code on the box but that seems like it would be wide open to take advantage of) that then ties that physical disc to your xbox account
    2) when you are done with the game you go to one of these new trade in places and they scan the game, it tells microsoft you have traded in that game so microsoft want to remove it from your hdd as you no longer own it, hence they need internet connection to remove it remotely otherwise you could just trade everything in for the $$$ while still having access to the games on your system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Meesared wrote: »
    Why? What exactly is the big deal?

Kinect 1.0 has hardly been a roaring success has it? So already the notion of Kinect 2.0 doesn't appeal to me. For people who have no interest in Kinect, this new iteration offers no incentive to own it yet. What it does represent is an invasion of privacy, camera is always on, mic is always on. You own inect 2.0 because you have to, not because you want to. What kind of product is that?

MS need to give people an incentive or reason to want to own it, not ask them what the big deal is/problem with owning it. And as for the 'if you've nothing to hide' argument, I've nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with MS having an eye & ear in my living room either.

These consoles are going to battle each other for sales, I'm inclined to buy the one that comes with less horsepoo attached to it & just plays games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

24 hours ?

onto blank discs.

To allow then enforce DRM on 2nd hand game sales.

It looks like then you buy an xbone game it will install fully on the hard disk, you will need to go online and enter a key and from then on the game is available on that xbone.

When you bring that physical copy into a game store to trade in (ie transfer the license key) you could in theory not connect the xbone to the net until you finished playing your SP game - making you connect every 24 hours means games you trade in can't be played much more on the original licensed console, and the next phone call home to the MS DRM mothership will deactivate the game.

Well then if i buy a new console, it,ll be the ps4.
    ITS more powerful ,doesn,t have kinect .
    IT,ll probably have a similar range of games,as the 360, as the ps3 does now.
    Apart from halo.
    SO it looks like ,you might get 10 euro for a xbox 1 game if you bring it to game ,as the new owner will need to pay 35 euro to activate it on his console.

I THINK its a bad design ,whereas you,ll need to have kinect on,
    even if you never use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

24 hours ?

onto blank discs.

I've done it with ps3 games there not as big as you think the only one i can think of going above 30GBs is mgs4

15-20gb downloads are common enough now on pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Xbox "one"? ...
    What an unbelievably stupid name.
    Microsofts marketing department and focus groups should be sacked if thats the best name they could come up with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

yoyo wrote: »
    This DRM has nothing to do with copy protection/anti piracy. It is solely there to control the used games market. I'm sure the PS4 will have the exact same kind of restrictions, thank the greedy publishers for this one!

Nick

And dont forget to thank the greedy retailers who forced them to take these measures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm willing to keep an open mind about the 2 consoles at the moment. I'm leaning towards Sony currently, but I would have been before the consoles were revealed since I preferred the PS3 exclusives (I have a 360 as well). The 2 conferences just haven't changed my mind, it's probably just made me go more towards Sony atm. However, it's way too early to call as they're following 2 completely different reveal strategies. I'm not going to decide fully until e3, when they should both have revealed their lineups, launch date and price. It'll be much easier to compare then.

I'm not exactly enamored with MS's details so far as I'll never use them (I'm not even sure if I could use a Kinect as the room I game in is tiny) but again they seem to be following a completely different reveal strategy and are revealing the games at e3, which is what does interest me, so I'll wait till then. The trade in thing doesn't really affect me as I tend to hang onto games, nor does the 1 time a day internet thing.

Also I think the £35 fee thing seems to be misunderstood. It seems, from reading up on it, that that's only charged if it's from an unofficial partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Well then if i buy a new console, it,ll be the ps4.
    ITS more powerful ,doesn,t have kinect .
    IT,ll probably have a similar range of games,as the 360, as the ps3 does now.
    Apart from halo.
    SO it looks like ,you might get 10 euro for a xbox 1 game if you bring it to game ,as the new owner will need to pay 35 euro to activate it on his console.

I THINK its a bad design ,whereas you,ll need to have kinect on,
    even if you never use it.

The PS4 will have more and generally better games. One thing I don't get is how the xbox's exclusive games fell off a cliff towards the end and became very sparse because the focus shifted on kinect.

What's the point of owning one if you're only going to be playing multiplatform games like many of the people I know do?

I honestly don't see Microsoft getting back to pushing out the big exclusive games. I think the strategy will be bare minimum to keep the core gamers happy (as what started to happen the last few years) and focus on the casual crowd more and more with kinect and TV to try and cash in on that.

I just don't get the appeal at all of that tbh. I'd rather a steady stream of games rather than have the odd few coming out a year and do away with the casual stuff which is is getting most of the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

€600 is too rich for my blood at the start. I'd go no further than €500 and even that would be begrudging. If that's the price point, I'm out as an early adopter.

They,ll probably continue as before making a few games like halo,gears of war,crackdown
    and pay for the first cod dlc maps.
    They have alot more money than sony.
    They point of the 360 was the games were just as good as the ps3 ,
    it was alot cheaper.
    TO get people to buy a new console ,they,ll need a few exclusive games ,or at least first release of cod maps.

Like many asian companys ,sony fell behind in making really good tvs,phones,
    mp3 players ,
    so the ps4 is really important to them.

it,ll probably be like the 360,ps3 most games appear on both consoles.

Apart from games for xbla, or psn digital downloads.

Even microsoft can only afford to bring out a few games like halo,
    gears of war ,etc

They have to pay alot to keep game x, exclusive to xbox 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

That price is provisional,MS havent announced prices yet so the hell would Amazon know what it cost. :rolleyes:

They may aswell just have put in TBA

I hazard a guess at 450.

Anything over 500 without any games would be suicide imo

i think that if that figure is real, they are just making the same mistake sony did with the PS3, relying on brand name and not pricing it right.

also gamestop stock

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:GME

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=GME

down 13% at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

ION08 wrote: »
    Anything over 500 without any games would be suicide imo

I'll be amazed if it's anything other than €499.99 over there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    i think that if that figure is real, they are just making the same mistake sony did with the PS3, relying on brand name and not pricing it right.

also gamestop stock

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:GME

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=GME

down 13% at the moment

Gamestop could go bust from this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GameStop are down almost 25% since the Xbox One announcement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

XOne four times more powerful with Cloud processing: http://stevivor.com/2013/05/microsoft-xbox-australia-on-some-of-todays-lingering-xbox-one-questions/

belive it when i see it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You should get an achievement for watching the awful stuff RTE have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

"Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement."

Perform like a monkey to get your reward. What are they smoking at MS.

This gave me a good laugh

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/05/mis-forgets-to-register-xbone/

what were microsoft thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement."

Perform like a monkey to get your reward. What are they smoking at MS.

*peddle achievement unlocked*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Headshot wrote: »
    You should get an achievement for watching the awful stuff RTE have
    Finally I'll be rewarded for my bizarre fascination with Fair City

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ryuji_w wrote: »

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: You watched an entire show of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo without switching channel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement